Helping Hands from 2005 - Page 38 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old August 5th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #556
Regular Crew

Talent Help (finding actors)

Hey all. I need some fast help. I need to cast a young(child) "little person" (dwarf). I've called some of the talent agencies out of NYC that I know some people and they said that they only had adults. However, I have a friend that is looking into where I can possibly find an actor that fits that description but not sure how long it will take.

So I'm not sure if you guys can possibly point me in the right direction or know of someone that fits the description and can help us out.

Any help will be appriciated. Thanks

~Justin
Old August 5th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #557
Major Player

Sorry guys... I vanished from the DVinfo boards because of this other project... There's a crap-load of guys trying to do these zombie shorts over at DVXuser.

I've been pulling my hair out trying to make this work... but I also want it to be worth doing! It's hard to get everything you want out of a project, that's for sure.

There's another guy here in Saint Louis who's going for it... ironically he is the video TEACHER of one of the girls who's working with me on mine! Jeez, now the pressure really IS on... I gotta' smoke THAT guy's project if nothing else.

Hey I posted my email first! I'd love to have some more help on this, but I honestly don't even know what I need. I've got part of a script and I've got an unrelated idea that I think is much better... so I'm trying to find a middle-ground to keep everybody happy. The one thing I've found is that everyone you bring into a project is insulted if you don't adapt their ideas... and then you have to weigh the value of that person. My first writer bailed and send me 4 nasty emails worrying that I'd steal his idea (which wasn't very good and I said I wanted to use him, but change his idea a little bit... "nope, I'm ALL out".)

So now I'm nervous to even bring more people to this. I've given everybody the same exact speech and that is "More important then this project is building a creative circle of people who want to work together on various projects and produce more quality videos." You would think it was so simple... but it isn't.
Old August 5th, 2005, 11:25 PM   #558
Regular Crew

i agree

Hi matt,

If you own the idea and if you're strong in what you want to do and if your emotions are strong on that you shouldn't listen to anybody else no matter
what even if you get help for free. Tell it politely and go towards your ambitions.

What exactly you want the zombie effect to be? I couldn't understand do you need help in post production or any VFX shots.

Let me know

Cleve and Joe,

Nice to meet you folks. I do visual effects maya, shake,fcp5, photoshop, PFtrack.

I'm doing a music video dance project fully green screen out of my own interest. Just got done getting license for the song. Becuase i wanted to add it to my profile.

Let me know if you guys need any help.

Hari
Old August 7th, 2005, 12:43 AM   #559
Regular Crew

George Lucas has been there and done that with the space opera thang.

Ever heard of Star Wars?

http://advaloreminternational.com
Old August 7th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #560
Wrangler

Happily, he didn't use "real opera singers" as Stephen suggested ;-)
Old August 8th, 2005, 12:43 AM   #561
Tourist

Wedding in South Africa

Hi Please feel free to contact me , as I can help We are a production company.
Gavin
Ingwe M.M.P
Video Ads
ghnj@hotmail.com
+27 82 68 22005
Old August 10th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #562

Stock footage

I emailed Joel and got a reply a couple of days later. Since then, he has requested two, 1-hour tapes of stuff I've shot here in Colorado.

So... has anyone done business with these folks? If so, can you give me a little feedback on your experience working with them?

Much grass.

Old August 10th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #563
Regular Crew

No business yet.
However a request BMX racefootage for a deadline of tomorrow for the Today Show. I had none nor did I know of any source here in the Miami area. I would have shot on spec, but I am preparing for an all day video on Friday. Maybe next time.
Miami, Florida
Old August 11th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #564
New Boot

Question to you all

I have just finished a feature script for a western with horses, guns, trains, bandits, and saloons. I don't have any money to spend, and a couple of friends and I are planning to shoot this for no pay. I was just wondering how many of you out there would be interested in shooting an action western for no pay, but know that it would turn out really well.
Old August 11th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #565
Inner Circle

Kav,

You seem to be taking a poll. The main question being 'How many people would work for free on a feature length period piece, IF they knew it would turn out really well?'

I'm sorry, but 'turning out really well' is a bit of an undefined term. What does that mean?

Speaking as someone who has written and produced period scripts that require exotic locations, horses, weapons and combat... I can assure you that it IS possible to do this sort of thing with very little money, on a small scale.

BUT-

You have to already own or have access to such specialized personell, equipment and locations.

You MIGHT could get re-enactors, SCA members, and period enthusiasts to show up for a short film or commercial engagement... One or two days, by promising them FOOD, CREDIT and a COPY of the finished product. But that is in lieu of monetary consideration.

Asking someone to commit their time and/or assets for a feature length project (21 days or more?) with the vague promise that it will turn out 'really well'... isn't going to hold much weight with people who have the calibre of talent or assets that YOU need to make it turn out 'really well'.

Follow me?

I mean, I would work FOR THE EXPERIENCE and CREDIT only on a Steven Spielberg production. Why? Because I KNOW it will turn out really well, and the experience in itself is WORTH my time and assets... I am getting paid, just not in cash. (Though realistically that would never happens). Still the concept is the same. You have to OFFER your people SOMETHING of value, if you expect something of value in return.
Old August 11th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #566
Trustee

I responded to the original post via email and Joel asked that I send in a demo dvd of footage I did in Patagonia. I sent it in this week so don't expect to here for awhile. I also got the email about the bike footage. Bob
Old August 12th, 2005, 04:34 PM   #567
Wrangler

Joel responded to my original email as well. I got the BMX footage request also. Slight correction, Tom. It was requested for The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

Unfortunately, it's not a good time here to shoot outdoor stuff because the heat and pollution conspire to make for 'ugly air' between lens and subject.

-gb-
Old August 12th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #568
Regular Crew

Rentable XL2/GL2 in PDX?

Hi - I am temporarily w/o a good camera. Is there anyone in the Portland, OR area willing to rent/lend their XL2 or GL2 for a weekend?

thank you,
Ron Johnson
Old August 12th, 2005, 05:29 PM   #569
Trustee

He responded within a couple days to my original email as well, and indicated an interest in some footage I am working to shoot and compile of the Sonoma, Mendocino, and Napa counties 'wine country' and vineyard lands - as per growing interest due to recent success with 'Sideways'. I've been pretty busy and am still a few weeks out in getting that footage gathered, and then I will begin the process of negotiating with Joel and see how it is to do business with them.

I also got the email request for BMX footage. There is a local BMX show this weekend as part of a shopping center-wide event. It us sure to include stunts, but unfortunately, I've already got a scheduled shoot - so I can't do it - and it would be a couple days past his deadline anyway.

Anyone else on this forum have any experience with this company?
-Jon
Old August 12th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #570
Regular Crew

Straight from paradise

I'm from Hawaii, so if you need some hawaiian footage. Contact me.
Hawaiimedia@hawaii.rr.com

Almost all formats are available.

Greg
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands