FZ2500 Impressions and Comments? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old February 24th, 2017, 02:15 AM   #76
Inner Circle

Re: FZ2500 Impressions and Comments?

Hi Mike

It still seems a back to front way to go to achieve an 8.4 volt output ... so it uses a 5 volt supply (USB) and then the adaptor inverts it up to 8,4 ... I've always used a 12v CCTV battery pack (cheap as chips) even for a 10,000 mah pack and drop a tiny voltage regulator chip onto the pack (3 components only) and adjust the 12.6v nominal down to 8.4v ...even if the battery pack drops down to 10.00v as it discharges you STILL can get 8.4v ....

Just for interest what is the minimum voltage threshold your adapter will accept as an input before it cannot lift the voltage to 8.4 any more ... There must be a minimum from the power bank before it falls over. Remember your Mac hub is running from the computer's PSU so it will always supply 5 volts unlike a portable power bank which will eventually go flat in the field ... I'd rather have too much voltage and be able to drop it down than have too little input voltage.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 06:38 AM   #77
Regular Crew

Just ordered this one to use with my FZ2500.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Frank Grygier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 12:01 AM   #78
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Mike

It still seems a back to front way to go to achieve an 8.4 volt output ... so it uses a 5 volt supply (USB) and then the adaptor inverts it up to 8,4 ... I've always used a 12v CCTV battery pack (cheap as chips) even for a 10,000 mah pack and drop a tiny voltage regulator chip onto the pack (3 components only) and adjust the 12.6v nominal down to 8.4v ...even if the battery pack drops down to 10.00v as it discharges you STILL can get 8.4v ....

Just for interest what is the minimum voltage threshold your adapter will accept as an input before it cannot lift the voltage to 8.4 any more ... There must be a minimum from the power bank before it falls over. Remember your Mac hub is running from the computer's PSU so it will always supply 5 volts unlike a portable power bank which will eventually go flat in the field ... I'd rather have too much voltage and be able to drop it down than have too little input voltage.
Sorry Chris I have no way of knowing, I'm not that skilled in electronics. I've ordered the battery pack recommended by Frank. No one will post it to Thailand so I have to get it sent to my son then he'll post it on.
Old February 27th, 2017, 12:58 AM   #79
Inner Circle

No issue ..tell me how it works though and whether it will run the camera on something like a dance recital that runs for maybe 2 hours non stop?
Old February 28th, 2017, 01:51 AM   #80
Inner Circle

Try your camera not in STD mode but also in Portrait mode and push the sharpen slider to +5 and the Noise slider to -5 ....makes a huge difference to your image and video too!!
Old March 1st, 2017, 06:41 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Well it looks I've come to a halt,at least for now. Since January it has become impossible to ship lithium batteries by air, no one will do it, so my battery pack is sitting in the UK and I'm in Thailand. It seems you can ship lithium batteries if they are inside a camera for example but not separately. Makes no sense to me and of course people carry them on aircraft all the time.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 06:32 AM   #82
Inner Circle

Hi Mike

That's a bummer! I was under the impression that they could be sent if they were packed correctly so they cannot short or be damaged. You now need to find someone flying from the UK to Thailand that can take them for you as carry on luggage? Maybe advertise and offer someone a nice dinner once you get the pack.

Is it only Thailand that's the issue or all countries??? You could put an ad on Helping Hands on this forum and hope someone is doing the UK>Thailand trip soon.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 12:10 AM   #83
Regular Crew

It's all countries, IATA rules from 1.1.17. I tried to get a battery from China, no luck so I've no idea how commercial enterprises will get their stocks. There must be some way to send them by air but I can't find it I'm asking around in the UK
Old March 3rd, 2017, 02:30 AM   #84
Inner Circle

Hey Mike

I guess they buy enough stock to warrant a container so it comes by sea. That's a bad situation if you need to buy batteries. So one assumes it can only be the battery that fits in the device ? That's stupid ..previously you could ship lithiums as long as they were individually packaged and there was no chance of them short circuiting but I guess that's out the window now!! Hope you find a speedy solution!!
Old March 3rd, 2017, 04:01 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Does it also apply to LiPo? The Lithium Polymer batteries are much safer (and lighter and don't discharge over time).
J.T. Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2017, 08:12 PM   #86
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Grygier View Post
Just ordered this one to use with my FZ2500.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I haven't been following the thread much. Battery consumption by the FZ2500 is certainly rapid. I bought two extra ones just to be safe. I don't record many minutes during a day afield, but I do manage to go through a couple of batteries.

Frank, I've never used one of those portable chargers. Can the fz2500 charger be plugged directly into that device to charge its battery out of the camera.
Larry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:16 AM   #87
Regular Crew

To clarify, you can carry Lithium batteries as hand luggage but not in hold luggage. They can be separate but must be protected from shorting out.
It seems you can't ship separate batteries by air ( i.e. buy or sell)
Old March 4th, 2017, 03:44 AM   #88
Major Player

So how does the portable charger connect with the FZ2000 and how long does it take to recharge a battery?
Not much use to me if I can't use the camera while recharging takes place.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #89
Inner Circle

Before spreading too much FUD about batteries, check this link...

https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/...nt-2017-en.pdf

Along about page 12-13, it covers "consumer" type devices and batteries.

IF batteries are not overly high capacity and are packed properly, they should be shippable. At one point I checked the Wh limits, and the typical consumer grade battery (phone, camera, laptop, etc...) does not even come close to being "regulated". One should still observe reasonable packaging techniques to prevent any trouble, but that isn't THAT difficult.

That said, of course there are potential issues even with small consumer grade batteries, as Samsung discovered....
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 05:48 PM   #90
Inner Circle

Hi Dave

Over here the rating of the battery is only an issue with carryon luggage ..in other words you can carrry on multiple batteries below a special capacity ...that, of course doesn't help Mike who is trying to ship a battery pack from the UK ...That's a power bank so it might even exceed the carry on capacity too so it's worth checking.

Ronald ? You need a DC coupler for the camera which is essentially a dummy battery which can then connect to a mains adapter OR another power source as long as it has around 8.2v available.

I shot a wedding yesterday with the 2500 and had 2 bars left in the evening ... Both my FZ1000's and FZ2500 normally allow me to do a wedding and I would only need a battery change in the mid evening....also I normally change when it hits 1 bar so I don't have a battery failure whilst the brides father is doing a heartfelt speech ....running non stop your battery should last at least an hour or more
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series