FZ2500 Impressions and Comments? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old January 10th, 2017, 06:35 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Re: FZ2500 Impressions and Comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I think Larry means he has dedicated his FZ2500 to shooting video ...I'm the same, I use the 2500 for video and the FZ1000's for stills and sometimes also B cam video.

His issue is the FZ2500 dims the LCD screen after 30 seconds and if you touch the screen to bring it back to full brightness and you have touch focus enabled you could easily change the focus point without realising it ..equally if you use the shutter button to "wake up" the screen you could quite easily push a tad too hard and stop the video!!

I will experiment later today and see what I come up with..have a wedding rehearsal to attend this morning
Exactly. I bought the 2500 to use exclusively for video. I have a canon dlsr for stills.
Larry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:32 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Chris,

I may have found the solution. I've switched the Monitor Lumanince from Mode 1 to Auto. Page 231 in the manual says the monitor will dim in Mode 1 after 30 seconds of no buttons being pressed. It may not happen in the auto mode. I'll test it tomorrow if the sun comes out.
The potential problem is that it seems we can't manually adjust brightness hgher in any mode other than Mode 1.
Old January 10th, 2017, 10:44 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Hi Larry

Yes 100% correct! I was out today in the bright sun and never experienced any dimming at all. My cam was on auto by default .. I assume you changed it to Mode 1?

Auto seems to work pretty well even in bright sun !!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 02:45 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Agree with Chris, out today filming in a clinic, no dimming while running on 'manual video' but the screen dims if in standby and no buttons pressed. Each clip was about one to 2 minutes long and one interview was about 6 minutes. Monitor luminance 'auto'
Old January 11th, 2017, 04:10 AM   #50
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Johnson View Post
Exactly. I bought the 2500 to use exclusively for video. I have a canon dlsr for stills.
Aah I see! You meant you have dedicated it to video, I would certainly try it with stills though as it should be even better than the FZ1000. I frequently use mine instead of my Canon DSLR.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 04:14 AM   #51
Inner Circle

If you are in standby it's no issue at all to flip the mode dial to P and shoot off a few stills and then go back to creative video mode. However I still prefer to use the FZ1000 ..At one wedding I was shooting stills, went into the reception and as the bridal party walked in I was still in stills mode !!
Old January 11th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #52
Regular Crew

The next question is regarding Silent Mode and Audio. Selecting Silent Modeturns off all those annoying beeps, but also prevents audio recording. This will be appropriate for most of my wildlife filming. However, there will be times that I'll want to record audio while keeping all the other camera noises silent. I've found no option for this. I won't be buying an external mic since I expect to do little audio recording.
Old January 11th, 2017, 06:31 PM   #53
Regular Crew

???? I have mine on silent mode when recording. Just tested it. Silent operation, manual video and sound is fine
Old January 12th, 2017, 11:22 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Griffiths View Post
???? I have mine on silent mode when recording. Just tested it. Silent operation, manual video and sound is fine
There's two different Silent options in the menu; Silent Mode under the Custom menu and Silent Operation under the Motion Picture menu.
When I turn on Silent Mode, audio doesn't record and shutter beep is muted.
Silent Operation doesn't affect audio recording.
Shutter beep can either be muted with Silent Mode on or when selecting Beep in the menu and turning it off. Beep can only be selected with Silent mode if off.
My solution is to mute the shutter Beep (selecting it the "Setup" menu) and leave Silent Mode On until I want to record audio.
I'll keep Silent Operation on too just so I don't forget to turn it on when I record audio.
Old January 17th, 2017, 01:02 PM   #55
Trustee

I see DPReview have published a review of the FZ2500 and whilst they have commended the new features, they have highlighted the inherent weakness of such cameras, in that quality is dependant on the fixed lens. It seems that a longer zoom reach has come at a cost in image quality judging by the sample comparisons.

In fact the lens on the FZ1000 is by their own tests of a much superior quality in regards to corner to corner sharpness. I think for Video, the new features makes the FZ2500 a no brainer in upgrading from the FZ1000, but for Photography, I would be less inclined to use the FZ2500 over the FZ1000.

You can see the review here and make up your own minds, but its worth considering depending on how you intend to use the camera.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pan...-fz2500-fz2000
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 08:39 AM   #56
Regular Crew

I've had real problems today with focussing. Set on AFC it keeps losing focus when about 1 metre from the subject on W/A
and 4K. Yes I know manual is better, I had no time to change, but what AF system should I be using. The manual is totally confusing.
Old January 21st, 2017, 10:18 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Griffiths View Post
I've had real problems today with focussing. Set on AFC it keeps losing focus when about 1 metre from the subject on W/A
and 4K. Yes I know manual is better, I had no time to change, but what AF system should I be using. The manual is totally confusing.
Haven't used mine much yet with all the rain and cloudy days, but ironically, I watched (most of) this video this morning. He mentions that there's no real difference between AFS and AFC provided Continuous AF is set to "On" on the 3rd menu screen. I don't know how true that is.

Old January 21st, 2017, 06:59 PM   #58
Inner Circle

Hey Mike

If you want to shoot where the AF assists but you control the focus the keep it on AFS or manual ..I never use anything else. If you are shooting fairly consistent stuff then keep continuous focus off .. I find the on a tripod continuous is off and it the subject moves I then use touch focus on the LCD to refocus. Other for fast action especially handheld keep it on AFS and keep continuous focus on in video mode. I run my FZ1000's the same way but, of course with no touch focus I just assign AE lock to focus. Using half press shutter to focus is OK when you start a clip but not good at all if you need to refocus while recording,,it's too easy to push the button past halfway and you stop the clip recording.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 01:21 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Thanks Larry and Chris, I'll keep playing. I was filming in bright sunshine ( it's Thailand after all) head and shoulders,I was still and the subject was hardly moving , very itrritating.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 04:27 AM   #60
Inner Circle

At weddings where the subject hardly move I always use AFS, continuous focus in the video menu off and focus mode use the custom square. Use the shutter button to initialise focus and start recording .. If the subjects do move just use the LCD touch focus to bring it back sharp. The square can be customised so I make it about the size of the person's head at the widest I will shoot ..that way the camera cannot focus on the background cos it's out of the square. Of course if you zoom in later it's even better. I only use 49 point if I'm handheld and moving the camera a lot and then keep continuous on! General rule if you are on a tripod is stick to AFS and the square with continuous off. The difference between AFS and AFC is AFC is supposed to follow focus so if the subject moves position it will follow AFS is still the best though!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series