Show Your Work 2004 - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old April 10th, 2004, 06:02 PM   #301
Regular Crew

VERY GOOD TEASER!

First of all, the light was great.

I liked the harmony of the yellow tones too.

The cut is cool, following that heart-beat-like sound.

And the better thing is: I´m curious to know what is THE SKRYPT!!

Tell us about your light kit and how you did that shot from a very high place.
Old April 10th, 2004, 07:25 PM   #302
Regular Crew

THANKS!

The shot from above was simply taken from a balcony about 4 meters high of an old warehouse where we shot the movie. We just went up and shot handheld from up there. Btw, all exterior scenes play in this circle of light you see in the teaser. The main light came from a long board that we extended from the balcony and it just pointed straight down. The lightsource was a cheap 500W construction light with some blackwrap around it to create the lightcircle on the ground.

Close-ups in the exterior were shot with this light and the help of one 150W construction light which was bounced from a piece styrofoam to reduce contrast on the actors.

All interiors (the table scene and the fighting) were shot in one room with a single light source: A lamp that was hung above the table. The lightbulb was a 150W Halogen (exactly the same as the bulbs in the construction lights, just in the form of a normal lightbulb, I don't know the english word for Halogen lamps, thats just what we call these things here in Austria).
In front of the bulb we taped one sheet of a Rosco Diffuser gel to eliminate the harsh light of the lamp and get softer shadows (I don't remember which diffuser, I bought a sample kit that had 17 different sheets and we just played around with them). For the action away from the table we just cheated a little bit by lifting and turning the lamp to get a little more light on the actors.

Summary:

1x 500W construction light (Halogen) ~7 Euro
1x 150W construction light (Halogen) ~5 Euro
1x 150W Halogen light bulb ~7 Euro
1x handy piece of styrofoam ~zero
1x diffuser sheet kit from Rosco ~40 Euro
plus a long board, some cables and a little blackwrap.

We also built a very very simple crane for about 15 Euro and a little bluescreen which was lit by 2 extra 500W construction lights(haven't keyed the footage yet, so no idea if it worked..) for another 9.99 Euro, but these shots are only in the final film.

You can see the lights on the productions images on the website. At least the interiors, I don't know if we have pix of the exterior online... there are so many. And if the movie turns out NOT as a complete desaster we might release a DVD of it with a really long making-of.

Cheers, Peter

PS: The yellow tones are out-of-the-camera, there was no color correction. The xl1 white balance was just set to indoor and that was it. The final film will look a little different because I will make some minor color correction.
Old April 10th, 2004, 11:49 PM   #303
Inner Circle

That trailer was kicka$$. I'd go see the movie. I'd probably also pay for a DVD with the extensive making of stuff. I love that kind of stuff.

Can't really say I saw anything in the trailer that I would change, and trust me, usually there's something I can develop an issue with. d:-)

Great job!
Old April 11th, 2004, 01:33 AM   #304
Regular Crew

Ok, first of all: I can only watch half of the teaser( there is apparently something wrong with my player;).

But I saw half of it and thought it was GREAT!

I like the light and the editing a lot.
It gives the film a really mysterious feel and it is just making the big question bigger: WHAT IS THE SKRYPT?

GREAT JOB!

(looking forward to wathing the whole film)
Old April 11th, 2004, 08:32 AM   #305
Major Player

Peter,

Great job... the look and feel is very nice... it really brings you in. The lighting is exceptional. Sometimes simplicity rules.

How long is the final film going to be? What language is it in? When will it be complete?

Good luck and keep it up.
Old April 11th, 2004, 09:25 AM   #306
Regular Crew

Wow, THANK you so much for the positive reviews! We really didn't expect it to do so well!

We just finished shooting 2 days ago and I guess we will be ready sometime in May. The language is English (with accent as we are no native speakers) and the length should be around 10-12mins.

Cheers, Peter
Old April 11th, 2004, 02:08 PM   #307
New Boot

Delivery Boy - teaser

A teaser for a little action/comedy i'm putting together. Tell me what you guys think about it.

http://couchpotato.no-ip.com/stored/...ilms.tk%5D.wmv
Old April 11th, 2004, 05:39 PM   #308
Inner Circle

For those of us who like to store a movie on our cpu, it's easier to download if you make the URL clickable, like this:

http://couchpotato.no-ip.com/stored/...ilms.tk%5D.wmv
Old April 12th, 2004, 03:07 AM   #309
Regular Crew

b/w short

Check out the short YES, BUT SO WHAT... that my friends from film school made. I dp'd for it and i know that they would like some feeback.. whatever you can give em will be good. thanks alot.

www.smiley-films.com/yesbutsowhat.WMV
Old April 12th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #310
Regular Crew

The Framing was nice throughout the film.

The Actors preformances were good.

Didn't quite like when it changed briefly to color. It's not that going to color was bad but the timeing on it it didn't seem right.

The story.....well, it was good. I liked the part about his tie. The ending isn't clear to me. Did someone steal the thing or was this guy just so damn boring it came to life and crawled away :)

One more point, what ever the audio in the background was at the end. if it was someone speaking or if it was important I couldn't make it out.

-Kris
Old April 12th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #311
Inner Circle

There are two cuts, back-to-back, at the end, that make no sense to me in the trailer. When the delivery boy wipes something off of his shoulder, and then the subsequent clip of the gum in the wrapper. I just don't get why those are in the trailer. I liked it up until that point.
Old April 12th, 2004, 11:04 PM   #312
Regular Crew

You misspelled package, although i probably just misspelled misspelled......... unless thats the way package is spelled in your country (pacage).... in that case all that happened was i misspelled misspelled.

I liked it. This stuff comes with practice.

Eddie
Old April 13th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #313
RED Code Chef

First: I love the production companie's name, funny!

For my personal taste it was too long. I liked the twist at the
ending (I had hoped on some twist earlier) and was thinking
more along the lines maybe she was real but he couldn't face
himself to cheating on his wife/girlfriend or so.

It was too long for me. Moved too slowly. I can see why it is
moving at the pace that it is, but I had to work a bit to not loose
interest. As with Kristopher I was thrown out of the movie with
the color sections and the police siren.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 13th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #314
Inner Circle

Well, I liked it overall. I especially liked his failed 'attempt' at suicide. I think the movie could do without the scene where the other guy comes into his office. It's just one of those scenes that doesn't add anything to the story.

I have mixed feelings about the switch to color. I realize why the film switched to color (at least I think I do - it switches because he finds some hope in his discovery of the manequin[sp?]), but it switches to color before he makes that discover, and that is distracting. Beyond that, the switches back to b&w make sense to me.

Overall all the film was a little long, but I didn't really mind. It was necessary to feel what this guy was feeling. I liked the ending. It's totally unrealistic, of course, but it's very good use of dark humor (IMO). I didn't really understand what the talking at the end was supposed to be. My guess is that he's supposed to be hearing his conversation all over again, but I can catch some of the phrases, and it doesn't seem to add up to that.

The police siren came off as a cheezy sound-effect clip to me. I would have either left it out, or made it much quieter so that it wasn't as obvious.

But bottom line, I liked it. Nice job.
Old April 14th, 2004, 05:37 AM   #315
Regular Crew

<<<--it switches because he finds some hope in his discovery of the manequin[sp?]), but it switches to color before he makes that discover, -->>>

that beter describes what i meant also.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work