Show Your Work 2004 - Page 27 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old June 7th, 2004, 03:30 AM   #391
Regular Crew

Hey

Not bad at all! I really liked your footage.

good pace also, and they are actually really good bodyboarders...
I like to bodyboard myself, especially in Spain.

If you are thinking about making a longer video you need to have some different elements in your film.

A little color-grading, maybe a voice over interview, a timelapse of a beautiful sky ,some characteristics from the beach etc.

Just advice, do with it what you want;)

good job

Chr
Old June 7th, 2004, 09:17 AM   #392
Major Player

* * Greetings Again * *

Good Morning, DVINFO!

Its been a while since I've signed on and wrote anything.

I hope all is well.

All of the below was shot exclusively with the Canon XL1S(s).

Since then...

"ALL THE WOMEN I LOVED" (FRAME/4:3 MATTED 16:9/Final product show on multiple Plasma Screens) short trailer that, I was hired as cinematographer, based on 5 time Emmy Award Producer and author Byron Harmon. This humorous, comedic, work of Byron Harmon (Published by Simon and Schuster, May 25, 2004) about modern dating, expectations, and relationships. Premiered last night at Eugene's Night Club at the book signing soiree.

"BEFORE TWELVE" (FRAME/4:3 MATTED 16:9/Final Product for Projection/Predominantly Television viewing) a short which I was hired as director of photography, is now on the Festival Circuit. It is a short dramatic/thriller piece about the supernatural world and two sisters. Will she make it home before twelve? I hope all of you will be able to see it soon...

"BREATHING SHADOW" (4:3 MATTED 16:9/Final Product Projection/DVD) A thriller that follows Clemente into the doldrums of his thieving existence. Do unto others as .... The project failed to be lifted as funding dried up and fell off the tree.

"AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A SUICIDE" (FRAME/16:9 INCAMERA/Final Product Projection) is now a composition of 3 shorts, "Ring Toss," "Leaving Walk," and "Season of No Sun" which is still being edited.

Some others are on the burner... Everything was done completely with:

Canon XL1S
Sennheiser ME66/K6 Microphone
Cavision Matte Box w/ Black Promist and various other filters.
NRG Pro Batteries
Bogen Tripods
Sony ECM44B Lavs
Wireless UHF Lavs
RENTED: Arri/Mole Light Kits
RENTED: Scrims
RENTED: C-Stands
RENTED: Mathew's Dolly
RENTED: Steadicam

I hope to have some samplings for everybody to puruse, enjoy, and constructively criticize.

Best to you.

Cheers!

Derrick
Old June 7th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #393
Regular Crew

Thanks! I was really amazed with the talent of the boarders there that day. You don't always get good ones. Then again, the ones that are just getting slammed are entertaining to watch as well!

I do plan on getting a lot more footage together and making a full length video. Thanks for the tips. I desperately need to color correct it I think. On my TV, it looks great, but it looks pretty bad on the computer IMHO.

I have a thread in the legal section that I could use some help with:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=27137

Thanks
www.xedgehosting.com
Old June 7th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #394
Trustee

I have not seen it yet, downloading.

I am not sure. Usually, most just want the credit and exposure. Some of the pros may want a copy or otherwise, but usually exposure is what justifies their sponsorship. Jay Reale may have some ideas for you and he and Vicki, his wife, probably can id some of them if you need to. Also check with Jay for an outlet for any video.

Jay and Vicki's site is at http://www.ebodyboarding.com/

George Ellis, the ex-pro bodyboarder from the East Coast in the late 80's :)
Old June 7th, 2004, 03:44 PM   #395
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tips George, I'll check out their site. The thing about this video I plan on doing is that none of these guys are pro's. They're just locals. I'm sure none of them would ever realize they're in the video, but still, if I'm not allowed to use their images without consent I won't.

Thanks,
Jeffery
www.xedgehosting.com
Old June 7th, 2004, 03:48 PM   #396
Trustee

Watched the video. Some of that stuff is better than footage I have seen in videos on the shelf. You have potential.

If you want a critic, on your next shoot, get one of the bodyboarders to talk about the takeoff zone and where to watch. That will help you setup your zoom before the action starts as you can be primed on who will have priority and where to be at so you do not have to pickup the action and zoom in.

I am going to send a quick note to Jay, but tell him to keep it on the QT so that your site does not get swamped!
Old June 7th, 2004, 04:00 PM   #397
Regular Crew

Thanks George! Those are kind words, I appreciate it. I'm still learning the Wedge, I just started riding it and understand that the takeoff zone is important. Like you said, I need to figure out where the takeoff zone is so I can be ready for it. I'm sure you noticed that my technique was to start wide and zoom in when I saw action. Feels like cheating kinda! It was very difficult to see in the viewfinder because of how bright it was outside, and the sad part is it was an overcast day.

I have a lot more work to do, but I appreciate the comments and look forward to making an even better, full length video before summer's over.

Thanks!
www.xedgehosting.com
Old June 7th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #398
Major Player

They approved the spot last week, so they at least thought they got their money's worth...

Not to beg for attention, but does anyone have any opinions on this spot? I know some of what I would have liked to do differently, but I'd like to hear some outside input.

By the way, you can also access the "AthFest 2004" video from http://www.karatemedia.com/video -- along with the QT and RealPlayer versions, I've added a Windows Media version as well.
Old June 7th, 2004, 09:53 PM   #399
Air China Pilot

I like the funny animations and graphics. I think the effect is better (when I see it in other similar spots) when it is faster and a bit more Pythonish. The font is awful, IMO and the narration (is that the final narration) needs to be a bit more up. Not ridiculously cheesy but increased excitement and humour.

I may have got your intent all wrong.
Old June 8th, 2004, 06:44 AM   #400
Major Player

Keith

Thanks for the input. Which font do you mean (or do you mean all of them)?

The VO is one of my biggest complaints; mostly there was a problem with the quality of the recording (which was all my fault).
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:07 AM   #401
Regular Crew

Music Video I threw together

Me and my friends got bored on Friday (because one of the dumbass' didn't call the girls back and by the time he did they were hanging out with other guys)

So we decided to film a music video (I just wanted to see if I could do it it turned out okay I think let me know what you guys think (I'm playing the drums by the way) oh the song is what's my age again the timeless blink 182 classic.

9 megs right click and hit save target as

http://24.26.176.24/12%20gauge%20-%2...%20(cover).wmv
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:34 AM   #402
RED Code Chef

Pretty funny for the time and resources you guys had. Nice one!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 8th, 2004, 03:33 PM   #403
New Boot

church videos

this past week i went on a trip with about 700 high school students.. shot everyday with canon xl1-s and pd-150. After shooting for a while i would edit all what i shot into about 3+ min video to show at the night service to all the kids and counslers.
So the videos where rushed just like to know what you all thought. -fernando

Video 1
http://mfile.akamai.com/8659/wmv/sec...achRet2004.wmv

Video 2
http://mfile.akamai.com/8659/wmv/sec...achRet2004.wmv

those are for the west campus thanks guys
Old June 9th, 2004, 02:17 AM   #404
Regular Crew

What kinf of camera did you use to film that?
Old June 9th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #405
Regular Crew

Camera: Sony DCR-TRV80

Edited with: Premiere pro and after effects
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work