Show Your Work 2004 - Page 35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old August 12th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #511
Trustee

Dave thanks for taking the time to watch it. I wish it was a little more exciting than just fields, but it was mainly to test the location and time of day of where the action will take place for the shoot. I hope to do some more test shots this weekend and will change the edit a bit to add some better excitement!

I used a ND grad for the wide shots but never took it off on the close up shot of the thistle. I think the vignetting appears mainly in that shot for some reason even though it should have been a solid grad going horizontally across the top. Post effects might have also contributed somewhat to the look of vignetting?
Old August 12th, 2004, 04:19 PM   #512
Regular Crew

Good video Dennis, can't wait to see more of it. The colour and contrast is very good. I am still expertiment and learning to shoot landscape cause I still made mistakes.
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:34 AM   #513
Trustee

I've also uploaded a WMV version because it is 15 times smaller (only 4MB) and looks pretty close to the Quick Time version (60MB) with the exception of the color saturation.

www.starcentral.ca/trailers/MusicBox.wmv

I have a few emails asking about camera settings and it was done. It was shot in Frame mode on the Canon XL1s (PAL version), -4 sharpness and -1 color tweak in camera, 0db Gain. It was edited in Premiere and colored in After Effects.
Old August 14th, 2004, 12:23 AM   #514
Regular Crew

Great idea. Very funny:)

As others have said, the end of each commercial is usually unpredictable and quick. When the guy packed up, he should have walked down the street, etc and then end should've have take only a 1/4 or even 1/8 of the time spent on showing the guy with a PC.
Old August 14th, 2004, 03:50 AM   #515
New Boot

yeah man looks cool, i could feel the tension!

what did you edit on?

good luck with sundance

tyler
Old August 14th, 2004, 08:27 AM   #516
Regular Crew

My Work - Comments?

I'm a new music video director. I wanted to share what I have. Let me know what you think. My website should be up by August 20th. Thank you very much for you time.

MDFilms

http://www.mdfilms.net/She.mov
http://www.mdfilms.net/MDfilms.mov
http://www.mdfilms.net/MDfilms3.mov

Old August 14th, 2004, 05:54 PM   #517
Major Player

I looked at these and I thought the craftmanship overall to be very good. The pieces have an interesting look and distinctive style and come across as quite professional. On my Mac cinema display they were a little dark, but I think that prob. to calibration of my monitor and compression (which tends to darken).

I did have a little trouble following the narrative in the "She" piece. Is he dead? Is she dead? I was confused. I thought the intro a little too long. The intercutting at the start could go a bit faster, I thought. I also thought you were missing a bet visually: The women in bed in the blue sheets and the water at the beginning might be superimposed in interesting ways. Just an idea.
Old August 14th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #518
Tourist

Moments of Brilliance...

As true "hollywood" style music videos, they aren't quite traditional -- but I noted several brilliant moments.

Can you tell us a little about your process? Tell us more about the production and post-production process.

Ben
Old August 14th, 2004, 07:46 PM   #519
Regular Crew

What moments are you talking about then I can answer your questions better.
Old August 16th, 2004, 12:44 AM   #520
Tourist

It has been a few days (and a hurricane ago) since I watched the vids -- but a couple of the effects I remembered that were nice included the smooth slow-mo and several light casting effects. It looks like you have deft control over After Effects.

Ben
Old August 16th, 2004, 12:47 AM   #521
Regular Crew

Thank you Ben,

All the videos were edited with FCPHD. There was no use of AE.
Old August 16th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #522
Slash Rules!

New experimental short

Uh, not really that experimental. Maybe "unusual" is a better term? Anyway, I put way more time into this than I thought I would, so I want it to be good. I'm open to tips and advice. I'm wondering if the jokes are too "inside". I tried to dumb it down a little, but I might not have dumbed it down enough. You'll see what I mean.

http://www.joshbass.com/creditwm9.wmv

Have fun. 2 minutes, 2 megs.
Old August 16th, 2004, 01:03 PM   #523
Major Player

Hey Josh, just wanted to give my 2cts.. that was actually pretty funny.. nice play on words and diff fonts etc... just a lil critique in that some of the shorter sentences were on screen for a while, but then the longer ones cut out really quick (the ones in the beginning not the end) but that may have just be a technical thing, not necessarily an artisitic issue. Regardless, i was watching from work (no music) and it still made me chuckle.. good job!
Old August 16th, 2004, 01:05 PM   #524
Slash Rules!

I wanted some objective opinions on that, actually. How long would you guys recommend leaving the longer sentences up? The shorter? I read faster than a lot of people (I think), so I don't want alienate potential viewers by only catering to my reading speed.

I meant to tell everyone, in addition, that you'll get more out of it watching it full screen than in a 320x240 window.
Old August 17th, 2004, 07:39 AM   #525
Trustee

MINI35 short / official festival selection

Sorry to do this, but I don't think my original subject heading was interesting enough for any folks.

I shot this short film 5 minute film using the MINI35 and Canon XL1se and this year it screened at a few film festivals which was really exciting.

I used English subtitles in the film, mainly to give the film more of that Euro-like imported type feel - not only that but the dialog in English is quite drab.

I would love to hear some feedback on this film, please check out the film and post comments/feedback on this post: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=30460

Thank you all in advance !
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work