Show Your Work 2004 - Page 40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old September 7th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #586
New Boot

"Stuff looks pretty funny. Kind of like a Jack Black comedy."

Yeah, I had Jack Black in mind for the buddy character, but he like, wanted money and stuff to play it. So I got Jason Muzie instead :)
Old September 10th, 2004, 09:33 AM   #587
Major Player

Rock In Roll!

TONIGHT!
Old September 12th, 2004, 05:49 AM   #588
Major Player

How many films are ...

Seriously how many succesful films were shot on Dv like video format to be later transferred onto 35mm for thetrical releases
Old September 12th, 2004, 08:24 AM   #589
Regular Crew

Thank You

I just wanted to thank everyone who has taken there time to view my website (mdfilms.net), I really took everyones comments to heart. I will be working on many things in the upcoming months. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Michael
MDFilms
Old September 12th, 2004, 08:29 AM   #590
Inner Circle

First, define "Succesfull". Do you mean succsessfully shot, transfered, sold and MADE money, or do films that lost money count too? ("Tadpole" for instance, lost money but was considered a success)
Old September 12th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #591
Major Player

Hey actually that was a typo ... i meant successfully shot transferred made some money or atleast recovered wht they had put in.

I am planning a project which would be shot using Panasonic DV200 & JVC GYDV5000E all PAL later to be trnsferred onto Film for commercial release.

I had contacted one such Film transfer company in Taiwan but their reply was Both his reply to my mil is as belows

========================

Dear Bankim:

Thanks for your inquiry on our Video to Film transfer service.
If you shoot in DV format, no matter how good is the resolution in TVL, the video signal you output from camera for transferring to film is fixed at 720x576 in 4:3 and if you are going to crop it into 16:9 (which is reasonable for a closer aspect ratio to 1.85 35mm format), the resolution you use in the video framing is only 720x405 which is really not enough for theatrical release. In our experience, even you implement software interpolation, the picture will still looks soft and blur.

If you are really restricted by budget, try to use HD camera. Sony HDCAM is a good choice, which is of highest resolution (1920x1080) and lower cost than 35mm. The next choice is Panasonic DVCPRO-HD which is even better in cost but resolution is lower(1280x720) but has three times of pixels than PAL DV. The cheapest HD camera in the market is JVC GR-HD1U which is also 1280x720 in resolution but much cheaper than DVCPRO-HD and definitely cheaper than GYDV5000E and AGDV-200.

Regards

Video Center Manager

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2004 1:37 PM
Subject: DV to 35mm transfer.

Dear Sir,

We are a Production house based in India. We are producing a Film using JVC GYDV5000E & Panasonic AGDV-200 both PAL format with camera resolution of about 800+TVL. We are shoting it in 4:3 format but keeping in idea of 16:9 cropping when we do edit or the film transfer. We anticipate its transfer onto 35mm at 24fps. We wish to know how very cost effective could it be if we were to choose you along with your quality expertise, are there any special efforts we need to put to have a good quality of blowup onto film from DV PAL to film 24fps 35mm. So far in India there have been no attempt to do such an production on DV and later to be blownup onto 35mm for theatrical releases so we are a bit skeptical about the quality of output on the silver screen. We would like to know your view on this subject before we approach your company to undertake our assignment.

We look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Bankim Jain
Director - Coverage TV

==============================

But i still felt there might be such facilities around te globe helping guys like us to accomplish our dreams on the SILVER SCREEN...after it the idea that gets shot & directed well to get foot falls into the theatre rather than the medium which it is shot on.

...the wait is on for views !!!
Old September 12th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #592
Contributor

Many very good movies have been shot with relatively cheap DV cameras and transferred to 35mm for theaterical release. In my opinion, one of the best looking ones was "The King Is Alive," which was a Dogme95 release. It was shot with PD150s.

It is true that the Sony 1080i HD format will give you the best looking picture from just about any camcorder, but it is expensive to buy or rent. I have heard of the Panasonic Varicam being used quite a bit because it is significantly cheaper than Sony, and rental houses seem to be giving good deals on long term rentals.

What makes a film successful, however, has little to do with what it was shot on. It has more to do with the story, acting, and production values. I consider "The King Is Alive" a great story with tremendous acting, and it was shot by world class cinematographers who knew how to use the type of gear they had for a look that worked wonderfully for them.

However, before you shoot anything with any camera, be sure to do a test with whatever lab you plan to use for the transfer. Most of the ones here will do a low cost transfer for you, and if you do the final project with them, they usually apply what you spent on the test to your bill. You might be better off looking at labs that have more experience in dealing with DV formats.
Old September 12th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #593
New Boot

low cost film with an XL1 about falkland war

We made, in Argentina, a low cost film with an XL1, without filters, just sun light. Check my link www.creavision.com.ar/malvinas.html

We shot in 16:9 and frame mode. Just some low motions shots we do it in normal mode.
Thanks

Cesar Turturro
Old September 12th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #594
New Boot

Late For Work (first 1:30)

Okay, I'm a little wary of this, but I figured since I have the first 1:30 filmed and edited and the rest of the short untouched as of yet, I might as well upload and throw it out to you guys to see what you all think... Intro titles and any music aren't in there yet, but any comments that might improve the filming process would be very useful :)

I'm shooting it using an XM2 (i.e. a PAL GL2 for those who don't know).

http://www.volvi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Late_For_Work.wmv

Cheers!
Old September 14th, 2004, 05:36 AM   #595
RED Code Chef

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=31230

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 14th, 2004, 06:54 AM   #596
Major Player

"BERT PRENTICE CEO"

Saturday Oct. 2nd, 1pm
Coney Island Museum, 1208 Surf Ave. @ W. 12th St.

http://www.coneyislandfilmfestival.com

More Festivals to come, including the West Coast.

Cheers!
Old September 15th, 2004, 05:24 AM   #597
Regular Crew

Yeah....here's what I think.I can tell that you like to keep the camera moving and that's great, that's just part of your style and there is nothing wrong with that but you still need to keep the camera movement clean and simple. When she's lying in bed the camera is going to different directions all the time. I mean one time the camera is pulling away from her and then it cuts to the camera pulling away from her at like a 20 degree from the other angle. And then it cuts back to the first angle. There's no point to it. It's almost like taking two different takes of the same thing from slightly different angles and edittig them together when there is really only a need for one. Basically for something so simple as someone lying in bed try not to over do it with the camera movement because it serves no real purpose. Unless your trying to strech the length of the short out?

Hopefully this helps. I mean we all have our personal styles and I realize that. So I guess that only thing you can do is look back over it and see what you think. Just trust your gut.
Old September 15th, 2004, 05:32 AM   #598
RED Code Chef

After reading carefully I see this is an unfinished piece, almost
wrote something up that it didn't make a lot of sense. Heh.

I agree with Lathe's assesment. It seems to be taking too much
time with nothing really going on. As they say in making films
"less is usually better" and "show instead of tell". Do we really
need to see her enter the bathroom and then "zoom out" on the
door? Do we really need to see her lying in bed for "so long" etc.?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 16th, 2004, 08:31 PM   #599
Regular Crew

125th - Ending

I have posted on here before about a project I'm doing for my church. The whole thing is 18 mins long so I cant really post the whole thing up. I wanted to share the ending of the film. If yoy want more info about this please e-mail me. Its going to be shown next weekend then sold on DVD w/ extras and so on. I'd like to hear your thoughts about the ending. Please note that I have rights to use passion of the christ music. Thank you for you time.

http://www.mdfilms.net/ending.mov

Michael
MDFilms@mac.com
MDFilms.net
Old September 16th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #600
Trustee

It's really hard to judge the feel of the film, having not seen all that led up to this ending. I will say that it was more frightening to me than it was anything else - that music is quite scary. The 3 superimposed layers at a time was a touch confusing to look at, especially when some of it was in fast-motion. It's possible though that seeing it small on a monitor might make it more confusing and perhaps it's clearer on a regular t.v.

It was intriguing though, and impactful. But again, it's hard to judge since it's just a tiny little snippet. What is the film actually about? Perhaps that will help.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work