SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #736
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
I tried to order from each of the five stores listed as having stock on Amazon.co.uk - and each time I got this warning:

Important Messages
We're sorry. One or more items can't be delivered to your selected destination. Please sign in to change the delivery address or delete the item(s) from your order.

They won't ship electronics to the US - very odd.
I received the same message this morning but I figured that wouldn't send to Canada. I'll just have to be patient with my current backordered items. It's a "bugger" to have a new camera with only 8Gb of storage. Also waiting for my rebate 8Gb SxS card.

I light of the current economic situation, it may be a very long wait, especially if Kensington is one of the manufacturer's who have laid off its employees.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #737
Inner Circle

searched Kensington for europe. There are some on amazon, but unfortunately amazon shops are splitted into countries (.de, .uk., .fr) and you can't get the .UK shop delivering into the .FR (France) or .DE (Germany) region. So far, only Uk guys are lucky.
Tried a search on IT shop and found a few in france with stock, but nowhere else, all switzerland is out of stock for example.
Looks like Sony has already purchased all of them.....
Anyway locked 4 of them from 2 different French shops, so let's see. (i will get 2 of them for sale if all are delivered).
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #738
Major Player

Interesting. The place where I bought my 7 in 1 reader (a major US retail office supply chain) says it has low availability but does not say it's out of stock. But if I try to add it to my cart, it says it is not available for my area.. Funny, but I thought that is what shipping is for? It won't even give me that option anymore.

Maybe Sony did pull a fast one..
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #739
Major Player

Yeah, I had the same trouble.

I can't really imagine Sony doing that - it would be such a temorary fix! I mean, if it sells, suddenly a bunch of brands start manufacturing them. Sony can't buy them all!
Old October 25th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #740
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Ron, any update on the i<dot>Connect 18-in-1 reader with the EX?

Would you say it is dependable as the Kensington 7-in-1?

If so, this "may" be our new favorite if the Kensingtons do not start taking stock.
I bought one of these at Fry’s a while back MY Ex1 would not recognize it.

I was in circuit city yester day they had SanDisk 8gb Duo cards for $34.99 got to the register range up $109.99 the sign was in the wrong place so they gave it to me for $34.99, there is also $20.00 rebate from SanDisk. I bought it for my son's PSP decided to try it with the Kensingtons formatted the card and it works, but you have to use the SD Adapter sticks out slightly further than the SDHC card.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #741
Trustee

Hmm..
Brian, I wonder if that idotconnect card was defective, or some how a different card than Ronn mentioned?

Did it have a large Star on it with the manufacture PPA?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #742
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Hmm..
Brian, I wonder if that idotconnect card was defective, or some how a different card than Ronn mentioned?

Did it have a large Star on it with the manufacture PPA?
May have been defective. I check Fry's here in Houston Yesterday they do not have them in any of the stores, and I think I read something about the idot on that other forum.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #743
Major Player

MicroCenter has them at some of their locations. They are not available for mail order.

Micro Center - 7-in-1 Media Reader for ExpressCard

Put them in the shopping basket and choose a location. It will tell you how many of them are available at that location. They had two of them at the North Jersey/Paterson location so I ordered them for in-store pickup and drove down to pick them up today.

They also had the 8GB Sandisk Ultra II SDHC cards for $34.99
Micro Center - Ultra II 8GB SDHC High Performance Card

The 16GB card for $69.99 was "on the skid, but not unloaded yet" according to the CSR. Maybe at your location they have them on the shelf.

Micro Center - Ultra II 16GB SDHC High Performance Card

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #744
Major Player

I just received notice that my Kensington cards ordered through Amazon (even though they weren't currently in stock) are shipping.
Old October 27th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #745
Major Player

The i-dot-connect card is working fine. No errors. Overcranking on Sony 4GB MemoryStick HG Duo cards up to 56 fps or so at 30p, 48fps at 24p. With Sandisk SDHC 16GB cards, no overcranking but HQ is fine, no errors. Your mileage may vary. :)

Meanwhile I ordered 2 Kensingtons from the Micro Center store in Orange County, and the order is confirmed.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #746
Trustee

Perhaps Sony should acknowledge a MemoryStick version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
Overcranking on Sony 4GB MemoryStick HG Duo cards up to 56 fps or so at 30p, 48fps at 24p.
Ahh, now this is good.

Over here, across the pond, we had a little 'MacVideo Live' event where the SDHC method was discussed. The question was raised about Sony 'blocking' this workaround. Somehow.

But if MemorySticks in Sony adaptors can guarantee either as-good or better-than performance than the PHU-60K, then The Faithful can go that route. Okay, so they're not SxS - no error correction, maybe no guaranteed SloMo, but it would work where the PHU-K may stumble.

I've owned a FireStore, and as a result my ambivalence to such technology has crumbled in favour of solid state. SD vs MemoryStick is a Lilliputian debate by comparison.
Old October 27th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #747
Trustee

So Ronn, the i-dot-connect card will not run 40FPS overcrank (24p) with the SanDisk Ultra II 15MB/s SDHC cards?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #748
Major Player

You are correct, sir. As stated earlier, it craps out after 15 seconds or so.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #749
Regular Crew

I called Kensington on Friday 10/24 and they told me that they do not have any in stock They also said they are still available and that they will be available around mid November. Told them they were popular amongst Sony XDCAM EX1 and EX3 users he seemed interested to know and that he would let his managers know. Maybe we should send them an email or call them to get their attention you know supply and demand.
Joe Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #750
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Diaz View Post
Maybe we should send them an email or call them to get their attention you know supply and demand.
I'm more interested in the demand/price quotient. I just put in an order for 2 more Kensington's today. My purchasing dept. said that it looked like they had stock. But we'll see. If so, I'll let everyone know where it is... (after mine ships!). :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds