SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 55 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 3rd, 2008, 02:34 PM   #811
Inner Circle

OK, I've used EX1 and have EX3 and yes they redesigned the switch - but it's no better, believe me.

Now to my point.

This is a HUGE long thread about cheap alternatives to SxS cards - what a wonderfull thing! Might I politely suggest we don't make it even longer by discussing stuff that is best placed in other threads on this forum that have already covered issues like the switch. Please don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be rude (Honest!) but a cheap alternative to SxS is a very big deal and I spent hours and hours pouring through this thread earlier this week deciding what I needed to buy. I just don't want others to have to spend even longer on the same thing. The excellent posts (a few back) that summarised the main points was very helpfull - just wished I'd waited a day longer so I could have benefited from that!

Anyway, for the benefit of all (going forward) let's try and keep this thread on what works and what the limitations are with various SDHC Flash Memory/Expresscard 34 Reader options etc. alternatives to SxS as they come along and get tested by all you good fellows. 32GB SDHC cards next???!!!!

Chris, and all, sorry for the "mini-rant" but if I've got this wrong please say so and I'll shut up again!
Old November 3rd, 2008, 02:47 PM   #812
Trustee

Hey Andy, you are right of course. We are only human though :)

Now, the 32Gb cards you've mentioned seem to be a bit of a mixed bag - which is why I did not mention them in my mini-review posted here on Sat morning.

On one hand, last time I checked, their cost was higher than two 16Gb cards. And, their availability was not immediate.

On the other hand, having 2 hours of footage on one card means that you can lose that much now by misplacing the card, or by a glitch/defect that is possible to occur in the card.

So to me, 16Gb cards by either Transcend or Sandisk seem like a sweet spot right now.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 09:16 PM   #813
Regular Crew

vanishing clips-reappear

:... you can lose that much now by misplacing the card, or by a glitch/defect that is possible to occur in the card."

Alex,

I tested the overcranking with an 8 gb transend and kensington reader.
1080 24p @48fps. got error message.
1080 24p @ 38fps, error message sat there and, the overcranked and all previous clipson the card shot at normal speeds seemed to be GONE ! Nothing showed up in camera on the card.

I put it in the laptop express card slot and used sony's clipbrowser and All the clips were still there. the 48fps recorded for 11 seconds and then choked and the 38 was fine for the 20 seconds or so I ran it. The camera went dumb blind but the chip retained the info. Still it is a lesson learned not to try an overcrank with any critical shots on the card. Glitch defect syndrome.
Wayne Zebzda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 10:05 PM   #814
Major Player

I got a call from SanDisk today the 32GB cards will be out Mid DEC. They will be sending me one for review as soon as they are available.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #815
Regular Crew

Brian, have them send me one too and I can test if being closer to the equator effects the chip... :]

I forgot to add in my previous post that the camera now recognizes the "lost" clips. Although I did not remove and reinsert the setup when I was in initial shock at losing the clips so I don't know if the camera just might have re-recognized them on its own.
Than again, 'Lost" is filmed in Hawaii so it just might be an equatorial thing...
Aloha
Wayne Zebzda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #816
Major Player

Just noticed just how cheap Transcend 8gb sdhc cards are now Newegg.com - Transcend 8GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model TS8GSDHC6 - Flash Memory

Has anyone been using them successfully since the thread started? I have 6 of the 16gb cards but might compliment them with some of the 8gb ones.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #817
Trustee

I've got the transcend 8gb's, no problems with them, but to be honest i use mostly the 16gb's nowadays.
I can get the 8gb for £12 and the 16gb for £25 from a shop about a mile from my house, happens to be an ebay shop .

Paul.
Old November 4th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #818
Major Player

Paul, good to know. I just think the 8gb size is good especially if you want to give disks to clients or editors to take away from a shoot.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #819
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
On the other hand, having 2 hours of footage on one card means that you can lose that much now by misplacing the card, or by a glitch/defect that is possible to occur in the card.
Common argument with a common counter. It's easier to misplace one of several cards of the same total capacity.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #820
Regular Crew

Correct firmware update?

I am looking at getting a one year old EX1 ex-demo camera from a dealer. He states "The camera has had its firmware upgraded already so it is ready for the higher capacity 16GB & 32GB SxS cards". Does that mean the firmware is also Kensington/Sandisk ready?

Mark
Mark Sudfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #821
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sudfeldt View Post
I am looking at getting a one year old EX1 ex-demo camera from a dealer. He states "The camera has had its firmware upgraded already so it is ready for the higher capacity 16GB & 32GB SxS cards". Does that mean the firmware is also Kensington/Sandisk ready?
Mark
Check the firmware #. It should be 1.11 (although I have not upgraded myself). 16GB isn't new.
Old November 5th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #822
Major Player

Off topic but could not resist

Gints - you do know your name is an anagram for...

Mailing Stinks
Staining Milks
Stalking Minis
Malign Its Skin
Assign Milk Tin
Mint Ski Signal
Giant Slim Sink
Mini Gal Stinks
King Mist Slain

Among others.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #823
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
Among others.
Funny. The real nicknames were worse: Gintsmeat, Mint, Iron Balls McGinty and The Gints that Stole Christmas. For a real kick, try googling for Gints Fight Club
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #824
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
Gints, name your custom title (to appear below your name here).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 03:22 AM   #825
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

Generic Expresscard reader

I bought three different Expresscard readers over ebay from Hong Kong. I tested using a Sandisk Ultra II 16G.
First two worked fine in the laptop but weren't recognised. The third runs fine. I have been able to record just like I was using the SxS card. Long blocks of 50fps no prob. Buttoned on and off quickly, not one error yet. Cost $AUS20 to my door.

It tested as
19.16 74.59
19.19 2.48
4.48 0,022
using Cristaldisk.

One more to come the one that Marek says works, the Unitek.

I also bought some 16GB memory from HK it was $AUS29 for sdhc card! I'll post the performance when they arrive.

So for $AUS50 I have an up and running 16GB card, way better than $AUS1100.

Last edited by Ross Herewini; November 6th, 2008 at 06:01 AM.
Ross Herewini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds