SDHC substitute for SxS cards - Page 62 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 15th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #916
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
According to the specs, it can write at "up to" 8MB/s (and reading at 18MB/s) - I think the SDHC cards we're all using are writing around 6MB/s - so it sounds to me like it might work.
Based on what we've discoverd through many tests, the bottleneck is NOT the SDHC or Kensignton expresscard, but how fast the EX camera communicates to these expresscard USB devices. Sony either did this intentionally or bad coding for USB transfer. My guess is they set a limitation intentionally. Even their own PHU-60K is limited on the expresscard USB interface.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #917
Major Player

Just a quick update on Kensington 7 in 1 card availability. Ordered a couple from Amazon.com on Fri 11/14 with Amazon's notation that cards are out of stock and they would notify of shipping date. Later that afternoon, received email that cards would be delivered between 11/19-11/21. Received confirmation of shipment with tracking number on Sat 11/15.

Also decided to try a couple of Transcend 16gb cards which, at $28, is less than half the price of the SanDisk (which has been working well for me). By all indications, Transcend should perform as well.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #918
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
By all indications, Transcend should perform as well.
They've worked great for me!
Old November 15th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #919
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Penetrante View Post
I just came across the Transcend Express/34 SSD units.

Does anyone think these even have a chance of working?

Transcend 32GB (MLC) Express Card/34 Solid State Disk SSD Transcend SSD 32GB (MLC) Express Card/34 Solid State Disk Detail Page

-Greg
I tried them. They fit great, but they're too slow for HQ, and I think even SQ. They would record for a short time then error out. I returned them. If they did work they'd be a great deal. I measured the speed on my Macbook Pro with some benchmarking software and they were quite slow, so I believe this was the problem.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #920
Major Player

It's the class 6 8 and 16gb cards that work without issues, I am sure that the pioneering members of this forum will soon let us know when there are new products that work.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #921
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Penetrante View Post
Does anybody else find it peculiar that whilst SDHC, Compact Flash, and a few other varities of solid state memory come in a variety of speed specs, all that's available in an ExpressCard form (excluding true SxS) is something that well underperforms even Sandisks Ultra II range? Especially as high data speeds were a big reason for ExpressCard superceding Cardbus?

It's possible to construct conspiracy theories, but I feel it's just that these cards pre-date the introduction of SxS, and are maybe seen by Transcend as a very minor line - most solid state users will just use the popular sizes, CF and SDHC.

In which case, it needs bringing to the attention of somebody senior in a company like Transcend that devices like the EX1/3 now represent a potentially large market for an ExpressCard memory of the performance of ExtremeIII, with a price tag to match.

Whilst SDHC is the answer for a huge number of people, I suspect that in the broadcast world it may just be seen as too small and flimsy, not to say easily lost. But bring out an Extreme III version of Express Card, and it is effectively "solid state tape". All the solid state advantages of P2/SxS, with the consumable pricing of tape or disc.

Everything in this thread PROVES that the high performance (and price!) of P2/SxS aren't necessary for recording broadcast quality video. But wouldn't it be nice to have that lower (but adequate) price/performance in a form factor native to the EX.........?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #922
Regular Crew

Ex-30

Just a note in thanks to those that have gone before.

The Kensington/Sandisk combo works in the Sony EX-30. We use the the EX-30 deck as a video assist for Red work. The Red outputs 720/50p over HD-SDI (25p time base for PAL production) and we have had zero problems in record and playback using the combination.

*Puts on tinfoil hat and listens for black helicopters*
Our regional dealer based in Australia has had these on backorder for over a month. I called to chase up the order. The dealer said there is some negotiation going on with Sony and Kensington over the product which was delaying the shipping of the Kensington 7-1. I was the 3rd call he had received that morning on order status.

I placed an order through Amazon for 5 Kensington 7-1 adapters, just in case ;)
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #923
Major Player

The dealer said there is some negotiation going on with Sony and Kensington over the product
================
That doesn't sound good.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #924
Trustee

I'm not believing that. In fact, I'm willing to bet 99.99% of the people at Kensington never heard of a Sony EX1. Also, Kensington is not the only card that works. There's been reports some of the cheapies on ebay also work.
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #925
Regular Crew

Steven, I would assume that Kensington is very much aware of the EX-1. Amazon is out of stock, B&H out of stock, 0 listings on ebay for 'Kensington 33407'.

I would think the dealer I dealt with is just feeling the effects of worldwide demand and supply rather than any conspiracy theories in play. And the 3 previous calls he had were from EX owners!
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #926
Trustee

About three weeks ago I sent Kensington an email regarding designing an SDHC Expresscard media adaptor that would allow the Sony PMW-EX1 memory door to close. Well, after several emails back and forth it certainly was clear to me they have NO idea about the EX1.
I certainly did not expect them to know about a particular Sony video camera.

Also, I'm not surprised the stock kensingtons in online stores were bought up. Heck, two months ago I bought four myself from Amazon and at that time they only showed 22 in stock. We've all been buying these. Also, someone mentioned even before this became a hot subject that they heard these cards are being discontinued. This particluar expresscard has been out since 2006. It's not a new product.
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #927
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Also, someone mentioned even before this became a hot subject that they heard these cards are being discontinued.
Glad I stocked up! :) The sales chart on the product must have an interesting spike!
Old November 16th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #928
Trustee

BTW, Kensington web site has the 7-in-1 card "in stock" right now to order.
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #929
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

I contacted our distributor here in Australia back in Sept when all this was starting up, and they told me that the 33047 was now obsolete, and would not be produced again. They told me that it was originally designed to work in a MacBook Pro but it wouldn't allow the laptop to go into sleep mode, and was quietly removed from the market. They told me uncategorically that it would not be made again.

But then you see it in stock.

Who knows?

I have heard a whisper that there is an upcoming expresscard that will allow the SDHC card to be enclosed completely inside it, ie will allow the EX1 door to close, so the Kensington card may become redundant.
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #930
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Herewini View Post
I have heard a whisper that there is an upcoming expresscard that will allow the SDHC card to be enclosed completely inside it, ie will allow the EX1 door to close, so the Kensington card may become redundant.
Could you give a hint which other supplier/manufacturer you are talking about?
Amazon.de have sent me one Kensington card but are already out of stock again :-(
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds