power - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 27th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: power

Dear Friends,

The wattage is expected to increase a little when more features are turned on in the F3, and one is using them.

The voltage is dependent on the power source and its ability to supply the power required. The voltage will never increase (from normal power sources) if the camera needs more power.

I hope this helps.
Old March 27th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lai View Post
Jeff Cree at Burbank Band Pro mentioned the camera will draw around 18-20 V once dual link and S Log becomes engaged - a lot more than what the Sony charger putting out 12V is capable of. Does anyone know what maximum voltage the camera will take before frying? Like plugging in a 24V for instance?
I think there's a confusion (or typo) here...
Camera will be drawing 18-24 Watts (at ~12 volts) with everything on (maybe even a little more assuming that we've all convinced Sony to allow us to have HDMI and HD-SDI and Dual Link all turned on simultaneously in a future firmware release.

From the Manual---

Power requirements
DC 12 V (11.0 V to 17.0 V)
Power consumption
Approx. 18 W (Typical) (HD-SDI Dual-
Link Off, VF On, LCD monitor Off)
Max. 24 W (Typical) (HD-SDI Dual-
Link On, VF On, LCD monitor On)

Thus connecting to a 24v power source would be a BAD IDEA!

I know that Junior at EC Professional had verified that the camera would run off the BC2 charger/power supply, but at this point he probably wouldn't have had Dual Link on, so I'm guessing he was at the lower end of the power spectrum.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #18
Telecam Films

Here is a compact power supply from Switronix that should deliver a constant 50 to 60W.

https://secure.bhphotovideo.com/c/se...tialSearch=yes

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #19
Major Player

Thierry,
I just bought that power same Switronix power supply at B&H.

Also at B&H is an identical charger sold by Bescor, for around $30-$50 more.
So, don't spend more thinking you're getting a better one.
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #20
Major Player

Has anyone tried an Anton Bauer Tandem power supply/charger with an A-B to 4-pin adapter?
Seems like a reasonable option since it auto-switches to battery power (if you put a brick battery on it) if you lose AC power. It's output is listed at 16.4v and 4.25A. Plus it charges the brick when not powering the camera. I've just never put a 4-pin adapter on it, so wondering if anyone else has...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #21
Major Player

I have the Switronix on my "things to get" list as well. No sense in messing around with something critical to operation just to save a few bucks.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Dave, Sorry for the typo and confusion. I meant watts, not volts. I too am running off the BC-U1 charger/supplier by soldering a Canon 4 pin as suggested by Junior, and measured output from Pin 1 & 4 at 12.1 volts, while the DC out at the charge end of the unit (flipping switch to charge) measured 14.4 volts. It's not the prettiest thing having the charger dangling around but I thought I'd play with it for awhile and see if it'll work when we can turn dual link and all that other good stuff on.
Brian Lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #23
Major Player

I use a Anton Bauer battery charger on my lite panels 1x1 for 12 volts DC out. No reason it can not function powering the camera as well with a D-tap and XLR power plug.
Attached Thumbnails
power-photo-1.jpg   power-photo-2.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta