Tripod for GL2? - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:53 AM   #91
Inner Circle

Well, I was basically saying that the 501 head will pan way -- way -- better than the Libec. I don't think too many people would seriously prefer a plastic toy tripod over the 501 either.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 03:15 PM   #92
Capt. Quirk

As far as I can tell, the only difference is $200... and the big name stamped on it. However,, I can't compare it to libec- never had one.
Old January 5th, 2006, 04:38 AM   #93
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hayes
Hey guys, I just got a gl2 for christmas. Its a huge upgrade from my old sharp handicam. Now I am not a professional, (i am only 14), but I do need a tripod. I have a budget of up to 300. I would enjoy a fluid head for easy panning, and i dont really need a remote, I really dont see the use of one. Also, are there any other must have accessories, i am planning on purchasing a wd-58h wide angle converter, because the first short film i am going to shoot is a ping pong movie, and the room isnt that big. Thanks guys, Will.
Buy the wide angle, you will never regret it. Regarding the tripod, try before you buy if you can.
Paul Deaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #94
New Boot

Thanks for the advice. I have enough money for just about any tripod I want, but my dad says i should start out with a small tripod. Is that good advice. I feel if i go ahead and get a good one now then i wont have to buy another one. But one of my other options is buying a stabilizer, in which i would spend all my money and wouldnt have any money for a tripod. But the fact that the stabilizers could maybe take the place of a tripod in some instances has got me on the fence. So what do you guys think?

EDIT: The stabilizer i am thinking about is the Indicam,
Will Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:38 AM   #95
New Boot

Hi Will, I'd suggest you buy the best tripod or at least focus on a true fluid head otherwise you'll get quite frustrated with the "jerkyness" of a cheaper head especially at high magnification. Regarding the indie/steady/glide cam I have to admit that I too am on the fence.

Regards
Paul Deaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 07:51 AM   #96
Inner Circle

Go for the best tripod you can scrounge up the money to buy. It's not something you'll grow out of. Forget about the stabilizer for now. That should be way down on the list of priorities.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:21 AM   #97
Tourist

Being a "scruffy student" I saved up some cash and got a Manfrotto 055CL and 128RC head for my VX2100. They only arrived today but first impressions are good, especially for the price
James R Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #98
Tourist

Tripod for GL2... on a student budget.

Hello all, this is my first post on the forums and I am in dire need of some guidance from all of you who are more experienced than myself... which is in fact all of you. I'm currently using a crappy tripod i bought from best buy on the fly one day when i needed to do some on the spot filming. After filming my Practicum film using the tripod and my GL2 i came to the conclusion that i must fork out some more cash to get a suitable tripod for filming at a student level. Since I am a student my current budget is in the $250 price range and from what i can see the Bogen/manfrotto systems on B&H are probably the only tripods i will be able to afford. I'm really just looking to get the most bang for my buck. If there are any better suggestions that may cost a little more but would be better in the long run then please fire away. With tax season coming up i may be able to spare a little more cash. I am looking to get this tripod within the next couple weeks seeing as i must start filming by the beginning of February. The floor is yours, take it away...

Robert
Robert Viator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #99
Major Player

Bogen is a respectable company and they're probably your best bet. They have some nice ones at B&H like you said. Look at the ones with the 501 head, the 503 will be too much but their 501 head packages are great for your budget.

- Kyle
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #100
Regular Crew

501 or 503 is best bang for your buck.
Paul Reichelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #101
New Boot

Bogen Kits

If you get the chance to dive around Amazon (not advertising here, just posting a suggestion) look for the Bogen line of merchandise posted as a kit.

You can find a better price when you include the tripod/fluid head/spreader/level and kit bag all at once.

Also be sure to keep an eye on how much weight your tripod choice can support. There are a lot of tripods out there that look really sturdy, but are made for still shot cameras more than camcorders, and aren't made to put up with the jostling of panning shots, etc.
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #102
Regular Crew

When I bought my GL-2 last year from bhphotovideo, I bought a Velbon CX-690 ($60) as a "starter tripod".

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

It's tall and very sturdy (holds 15lbs). The quick disconnect is a great feature. Pans are smooth.

It's served me well and I'm happy with it.
Tim OBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:22 AM   #103
Major Player

A bought the best $100 tripod I could find last year....and returned it two days later.
And this was just for a little Pana GS250 at the time.

I started watching e-bay....only took about two weeks before I won a Bogen w/fluid head for $125 shipped.
A photo studio was selling off old equipment and it was in great shape.
It was a little much for the Panasonic, but now that I have the GL2, its perfect.

I guess the point of the story is to be patient.

Bob T.
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #104
New Boot

Tripod for GL2?

Hello, I am in market for a new tripod. I have gotten through the past year with some cheapie Wal-Mart/K-Mart brand tripods. Most of which are directed towards lighter digital cameras. I have noticed on a few attempts to film time lapses and still shots on certain days, that the slightest bit of wind will tend to shake the camera even with the tripod fully level and extended. Also, these cheap tripods don't have a fluid pan head.. so smooth pan shots are near impossible. Basically I would like to find something for my GL2 thats relatively inexpensive, but will also provide a fluid pan head for smoother shots. I would prefer something a little "beefier" so to speak that has a bit of weight, so the camera will stay secure. I have checked local camera/video retailers around my area.. but most are directed towards smaller digital cameras. Any advice/input would be great. I am looking to stay in the $50-$200 price range if possible. Thank you for your time.
Corey Quenneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #105
Wrangler

Good tripods and heads are not cheap.

I've been satisfied with a Bogen 3433 (aka 501) head and you might check the Bogen 301, 3011, or 3021 legs. They are a bit above your budget range, but that is the nature of good camcorder support.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads