Tripod for GL2? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:07 PM   #31
Regular Crew

GL2 Tripod on a Budget

I am looking for the best tripod I can buy for around $100 - $150. It will be used with my GL2 for shooting weddings and other video projects.

After searching the forums, I came across these models...

1. Bogen-Manfrotto 3180N
$177 at Adorama

2. Bogen - Manfrotto 3021BP Pro
$147 at Adorama

Would anyone recommend one of these two products or are there better options out there? I really can not spend any more than the 3180N at $177

thanks!
Chris Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:19 PM   #32
Old Boot

Just bought a set of Manfrottos legs, fluid head AND a Manfrotto Dolly .. .. how much? £90 . . 2nd hand .. . neat eh?!?!?

Secondhand stuff, outsioed the actual commie I don't have a problem .. .

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2004, 04:42 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Recomendations for a tripod for GL2 for under $150?

I need value and quality in one neat price.
Joe Cirino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Best $150 tripod

I am not very familiar with tripods in the $150 range but I did happen to see one in store a couple of months back that I thought was fairly decent. It was significantly better than the $100 Vanguards or whatever it was that I have seen at Fry's and such places.

It is the Davis & Sanford Pro Vista with F12 head, see it here...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=223630&is=REG

IIRC the head was surprisingly smooth, not a fluid head, but for $150 it was the best that I have seen.
Nick Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 10:53 AM   #35
Regular Crew

THANKS!!

I just ordered it. Ill let you know how it is. The salesperson said it is a great tripod for the money.

Thanks again!
Old June 9th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I am sure there are many people who could use a good $150 pod. The Velbons and other inexpensive pods are fine for still cams but not for video.

The Davis-Sanford is the only one that I have seen that has video potential. I don't think that I would put anything larger than a GL2 on it. Let us know what you think. Why don't you write a mini-review of it after you have checked it out.

I hope you are happy with the pod and it serves you well.
Old June 9th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #37
Capt. Quirk

I believe Slik has a model around that price range.
Old June 9th, 2004, 01:05 PM   #38
Regular Crew

I will write a review. I will also have picutres for you as well....stay tuned! Hey Nick, I forgot to mention that when speaking to the Band H sales person, he said that he ALWAYS forgets to tell people about the David pod because its such a good deal for the money.

Thanks guys!!
Joe

Its amazing how the internet has changed the world of information and buying products.
Old June 24th, 2004, 11:59 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Joe,

Did you get your tripod? If so, I'd like to hear about it.
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Thanks Nick for reminding me.

Review of a $150 Davis and Sanford from B&H video/photo online retailer
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=223630&is=REG

Legend:

1=Poor..., 5=Average..., 10=Outstanding

Pictures are here
http://www.hyperjoes.com/tripod/index.htm

Since I ONLY have expirience with cheap Vanguard tripods-$35 and up, this is my FIRST quality tripod, so for those looking for a review compared to a Bogen-I have never touched one. Review is based on how well it does the job. For all I know, there may be Bogens that don't come close to this baby!

1. Canvas Bag=8. The bad has a side zipper pocket, although it does not have anyway to attach a shoulder strap. Well constructed and able to do the job effectively.

2. Fluid Head=8. Smooth and easy to adjust. It will do the job and does not studder when panning/tilting. Several adjustments for tilt, pan-lock, weight of camera, level, ect. I would say they could of used better metal for the handle, its strong, but not the best quality. The quick connect/disconnect is heavy and well made. Works like a dream. Addtional Quick connects are under $10.

3. Aluminum Frame/tripod=9. SOLID and STURDY 8.8lbs. Easy to adjust and expand, although I wish they would of used better locking thumb adjusters. They seem after a few hundred uses, they may bust off, I could be wrong. Feet are large and grip the ground. I could not tip this baby over if I had to. Paint seems to stick on metal fine. May be prone to scratches, but thats what you get with a black pod.

Overall=8.3
Feel free to ask questions

Joe
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Davis & Sanford

Joe,

Sounds like you are pretty happy with your pod. Whew, that's a relief to me. I would have been felt responsible if my recommendation had disappointed you but I was relatively sure that you would be happy for $150 or I would not have recommended it.

Your pics and description suggest that it is an excellent buy for the money.

What is the largest cam that you would recommend putting on this pod? I only looked at it very briefly in the store and kind of got the impression that the GL2 would be the max but I couldn't say for sure.

You may be able to buy better thumb screws for it at Home Depot or Lowe's. I think they sell something like this.
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:14 PM   #42
Regular Crew

I am very happy with it. Maximum weight allowed on pod is 13 lbs. Gl2 is like under 5lbs.

Thumbs are nothing to worry right now, it may never be anything to worry about.
Old June 24th, 2004, 11:53 PM   #43
Major Player

Good Tripod + Head for GL2

Hi!

Around 200$ which tripod+head is the best combination for my new XM2 camcorder? I film almost always in nature, outdoor.

I want a really really smooth horizontal movement.
So i guess i need a fluid head. But which one do you use/prefer?

In Hungary there are some manfrotto (128RC, 501 PRO, 503PRO)
and the Unomat PSV 909.

Are these good enough for my nature projects?

thx,
Marton
Prech Marton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 05:56 AM   #44
Major Player

Marton,

I use the 503, it is very smooth and you have full control over the drag on tilt and pan to suit your specific needs.
Old June 25th, 2004, 06:25 AM   #45
Trustee

Seconded - the 503 is very good value for the money. I've been very happy with it...

Robin.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads