Tripod for GL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old December 16th, 2002, 06:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Question about a tripod for GL2

I've been looking for a tripod for the GL2, but I don't have $100 to spend on it, so I've mostly been looking at some real cheap ones. Most likely I will be using the tripod for some panning and tilting, but most of the time it will probably be stationary.

I've been looking at some of the used equipment at bhphoto, but I'm really in the dark about what would be a good buy.

Any suggestions?

thank you in advance
John Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2002, 08:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Support

I have found that scouring some of the local camera stores can turn up used equipment bargains once in a while, and you get to see if it's a turdie before you drop the bones on it. I picked up a Bogen with a non fluid head for about $125, but it was a $350 rig, and upgradeable when I get some more "fluid" income. eBay is a good shot too. you might try posting a thread in the "Support Your Local Camera" area here on DV Info for what people like and how stuff holds up. I have also found that if you go too cheap you have to spend your money twice (breakage / inability to do a decent job).

my 2 cents
Mark
Old December 16th, 2002, 08:40 PM   #3
New Boot

One thing I learned about tripods a long time ago was that cheap tripods tended to be flimsy and were worse to use than no tripod at all. Save your pennies up until you can get something halfway decent, don't go the $49.99 Wal-Mart route.
Rich Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2002, 09:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to holdout for a bogen, but it may be awhile. Any other recommendations?
John Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2002, 12:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

It may sound silly but..

I have a super cheap table top tripod (came with an old Sony TR700) that works great on a car hood, rock, tree limb, floor etc. It totally blows for panned shots but you could probably get someone to give you one, and it's small enough to carry in a camera bag and really super handy to have. If you look at the Punk video I shot it was the only thing I used to steady the GL2 when I shot..
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=5425

Mark
Old December 17th, 2002, 06:17 AM   #6
Wrangler

Libec M20

One of the tripods that have been recommended on this site is the Libec M20. It sells for around $200 and is available from various sources.

You can use the search function on this site for M20 or TM-20 or M-20.

Happy Holidays,

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 12:37 PM   #7
Major Player

I have the Libec M2-, very nice and stable, excellent for the price range!
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2003, 12:47 AM   #8
Major Player

GL2 Tripod under $450

Hi,
I am looking for a tripod setup for my new GL2 under $450. Here are two links to the two main competators in my mind. Which one would be better for the GL2 and the performance of everything. I shoot everything including theatrical productions so I need a good smooth tripod. These are just two, any other suggestions would be great.

Libec M20 - $195
http://www.zotzdigital.com/?page=sho...afa4b87ff0212d

Bogen 3221WN with 503 (3460) Head - $402
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh5.sph/...ID=F2D175197A0
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 08:05 AM   #9
Warden

The bogen is a little better tripod in terms of the fluid head adjustments and movements. I would also say the Bogen is built better and should out last the Libec, given reasonable care. Is it worth the extra $200? Probably not, if your thinking of upgrading your camera in a few years. The Libec is very serviceable and a great bargain at it's price. If money is not a big issue, I'd get the Bogen, it will last longer and hold it's value better should you want to sell it.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 12:43 PM   #10
Major Player

I love my Libec M20, but I am not a pro. It is very stable and the head is very fluid in movement, although it does tend to have an ever so slight jerk when first moving it, nothing noticable.
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 04:42 PM   #11
Regular Crew

tripods

cheap tripods will have a tendency to"torque" or twist, when you set heavey drag...also , the cheap heads will have a lot of "hysterisis", which will cause the head to want to continue in a direction once it starts to move...makes it very hard to do nice smooth moves....its worth it to get a good tripod and head.....look for brokers of used gear...LA and NY have lots of them
Old April 2nd, 2003, 06:44 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Good tripod for GL2?

I don't want to be spending silly money, but don't want some cheap effort either. Any recomendations? Do tripods fit all cameras, or are some made specifically for a certain brand. I heard fluid heads are the way to go if you want smooth pans (which I want)

Thanks
Stewart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 10:18 AM   #13
Wrangler

Do a search on this website for the Libec M20. Most people like it for the GL2, but at least one or two have not.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 12:47 PM   #14
Major Player

I use a Bogen 3021 with a 3130 fluid head. This head has a quick release plate. The combo at B&H costs $189, about the same as the Libec. I actually have two of these, which tells you I'm happy. I also have a Bogen monopod with a quick release head. I'm able to move my camera from one support to another rapidly and also to remove it for a handheld shot if needed.

The only complaint I have about the Libec is that it lacks a center column. That means you have to make fine height adjustments with the tripod rather than the column. Other than that, it seems very solid.

My camcorder is a GL2, by the way.

Will
Will Fastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 10:21 PM   #15
Major Player

I'm sure everyone will disagree with me but...I really dont like the libec I bought. The cheap velbon fluid head I have is smoother at pans than the libec. I feel like I look more professional with the libec but at the end of the day the velbon is smoother. Also the hardware that is the brace between the legs is very thin metal and it easily broke where it joins with the leg. I want to try the Bogden 501 head and some sticks but I cant buy another tripod so soon.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads