Tripod for GL2? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 27th, 2005, 03:37 AM   #76
Regular Crew

This is a bit off topic, but here goes... I'm shooting macro with my gl1..
What tripod is best suited for this?

Problems During Marco Filming are:

1. Hand vibrations/jittery...
2. More vibration during change of direction... (i.e. panning right to left, then quickly left to right.)

Any Fluid head suggestions?

Thanks,

John
John Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 01:10 PM   #77
Regular Crew

Tripod for GL2?

Hi all:

Can anyone suggest a decent (reasonable priced) tripod for my GL2? I was wondering about the remote devices, too- do these all attach to the tripod or are they hand held and connected to a wire? Suggestions appreciated. My price range of course is in the low-low budget area....
Tim Agnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 02:52 PM   #78
Fred Retread

As soon as you can, you will want to get a real professional video tripod. They make a world of difference. But in the meantime you can get the one in the link below for about $130. It's an excellent value. I have one and it served me well until I got a really good tripod. I still use it occasionally for noncritical events when I don't want to lug in my heavy tripod. It's reasonably tall with a geared center post and bubble level, it's lightweight, has a built in remote control on the handle that works with the GL2, comes with a bag, and has very smooth pan and tilt movement even though it's not a fluid head. The down side is that it is not ruggedly built. So if you hit it with your knee while filming, or even take hold of the pan bar carelessly, you'll get some shake in your video. I don't think you can do better than this for the money. The zoom control on the remote works quite well. The link below is for B&H but they are currently out of stock. You can find more stores at pricegrabber.com.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=179980&is=REG
Old May 31st, 2005, 03:17 PM   #79
Regular Crew

Thanks- but what's the remote do? Is it to minimize shaking during filming? Is this attached to the tripod or is it held in your hand? I was considering the Davis & Sanford ProVista Video Tripod, but then I'd need the remote device. Thanks
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:25 PM   #80
Fred Retread

The remote is built into the handle of the tripod. It has a record/pause button, a power standby button and a zoom control rocker. Also a button to take stills. There is a cord that plugs into the LANC port on the GL2. The idea is that the same hand that controls panning and tilting can also smoothly control the zoom.
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:12 PM   #81
Obstreperous Rex

Tim, see the discussion threads that are listed at the top of this forum's index page. They link to Ken Tanaka's reviews of the VariZoom Rock and the Zoe DV-L controllers -- those two articles will give you plenty to read about how these controllers work and why they're such a good idea. Oh, and those links to the articles are:

http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/camaccs/vzrock.php

and

http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/camaccs/zoedvlanc.php

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 11:22 PM   #82
Major Player

work with GL1?

Will the tripod that's linked above control a GL1 as well? I have seen zoom commanders for the GL1, but they seem priced as much as that tripod/control is combined.

Jeremiah
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #83
Regular Crew

I went with the Davis & Sanford ProVista- seems more durable for the bucks. I'll eventually get a controller. Everyone I spoke with is very happy with this product.
Old June 6th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #84
Regular Crew

Tim, I had also that kind of dillema and bought cheap Hama (130$) tripod for my XM2. That was a waste of money. All i got from that tripod was frustration (levelling and setup was nigtmare, legs were very weak, head was awful etc...) I recently bought slightly used Vinten Pro5 on eBay for 300$. Working like a charm and kicking myself for spending money on something which is now somewhere in my basement. Investing is good tripod is essential, since you will have it for long, long period.
Old December 29th, 2005, 11:20 PM   #85
New Boot

GL2 Tripod

Hey guys, I just got a gl2 for christmas. Its a huge upgrade from my old sharp handicam. Now I am not a professional, (i am only 14), but I do need a tripod. I have a budget of up to 300. I would enjoy a fluid head for easy panning, and i dont really need a remote, I really dont see the use of one. Also, are there any other must have accessories, i am planning on purchasing a wd-58h wide angle converter, because the first short film i am going to shoot is a ping pong movie, and the room isnt that big. Thanks guys, Will.
Will Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 08:45 AM   #86
Major Player

I have used the Libec TH-M20 for my GL-2 for three years and it works out really well with that camera and mounted accessories. The head seems very smooth. The legs are not super strong so it would probably not stand up to rough treatment.

$189 at BHphoto.com
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 12:39 PM   #87
Capt. Quirk

IF you should look at Bogen Manfrotto, skip the 501 head, and get the 503. The 501 isn't very fluid.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 08:43 PM   #88
New Boot

701rc2

I mentioned that I like the 701RC2 as a cheap alternative for the GL2 in this thread (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ht=gl2+701rc2). I still like them for an inexpensive head -- they have travelled throughout Asia with me and they have held up nicely.
Loren Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:15 AM   #89
Inner Circle

I like and use the Libec, but if you have the extra cash definitely go for the Bogen with 501 head. I don't think you're going to find the 503 with sticks for $300. The rule with tripods is you spend as much as you can possibly afford. There's almost no limit.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:42 AM   #90
Capt. Quirk

I will have to argue this with you Marco... The 501 wasn't too bad under the extra weight, but with the GL1, it sticks too bad when starting a pan. Add to this the 2001 legs I have are a tad flimsy, they actually twist when panning. In order to overcome this, I am forced to grab the neck in a deathgrip with one hand. It may be I just got a bad head, and cheap legs, but it isn't that great a combo for me.

If I had it to do over again, I would buy a $35 dollar tripod from Walmart, and put the extra $200 into batteries- good batteries, and not the $30 knock offs. But, this is just my opinion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads