Tripod for GL2? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads

Old June 25th, 2004, 07:20 AM   #46
Major Player

If you go the Manfrotto way, I doubt you can get the 503 head + legs for $200 new here in Europe.
So you might want to raise your budget a little bit...

Donīt know why Manfrotto is made in Italy, but itīs cheaper in the US than in Europe...

Of course if can find that tripod set for about 200 in Hungary, let me know.. and maybe Iīd be visiting Hungary soon :-)

In your case, doing outdoors..I think a ball leveler is a must.... so check that too.. otherwise youīd go crazy adjusting the tripod legs on uneven ground to get a leveled shot.
Old June 25th, 2004, 07:36 AM   #47
Major Player

You are welcome here in Hungary :))

Yeah 503 isn't cheap..
But i'm not sure i need a ball leveler. The XM2 has a nice 16:9 horizontal guides, so i can check the correct picture :)
Prech Marton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 07:51 AM   #48
Regular Crew

I second Federico's recommendation of a ball leveler. Even with your cam's horizontal guides, without a ball leveler you will need to adjust the tripod legs, shortening one, checking the level, adjust the leg again, check the level, etc. If you purchase the 503, the ball leveler is well under $100 (at least in the US), and would be a great convenience for you. It's just one adjustment at the top of your tripod.
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 08:22 AM   #49
Wrangler

Yeah, the ball leveller is definitely worthwhile for outdoors work, I don't know how I ever lived without mine. As Allen says, it isn't a question of whether you can get the tripod level, it's a question of how fast. With the ball leveller it only takes a couple seconds. Messing with the tripod legs can take a minute. I used a 3221 tripod without a ball for awhile and the leg snaps are really nasty on it and can pinch/bruise even when you're careful. You definitely don't want to mess with these any more than you have to!

The 501 is probably a good compromise for the money, but it really depends on what you're shooting. When you say "nature projects", would that include things like extreme telephoto shots of wildlife? I really found the 501 unacceptable for that sort of thing after several years of use and upgraded to a Miller DS-5. The Miller gives much, much smoother movement but this comes at a price... around $800.

If your budget is really $200 I think you'll need to make some compromises unfortunately. In that case maybe the ball leveller is something you will need to wait on. Aside from the nasty leg snaps, the Manfrotto 3221/501 might be a starting point for you. B&H sells it for $274 which includes a nice soft carrying case http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=217267&is=REG. You could save about $40 by using the micro fluid head http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=332342&is=REG however I wouldn't do it for that price. I had one of these heads several years ago and was not happy with it.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Check out my report on this $150 tripod. I love it

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27011
Joe Cirino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 08:35 PM   #51
Major Player

What about the new 700RC2? It seems to have less "bounce" than the older micro fluid head.......
Kevin James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2004, 05:47 AM   #52
Major Player

I have the 700RC2...

Itīs a very good head... once you get the hang of it..
Itīs not as soft as the 501, actually I find quite hard, but for my clumsy hands thatīs actually a good thing.
But still I would not use it for very fast panning, (not that I have had the need to do that yet).

Itīs also very small and light weighted so thatīs pretty good when you donīt have a car and have to travel hour and a half by metro, train, bus and walk with all your stuff on your back

Iīve used this head with my XM2 and it has worked very well for me and itīs price is very good..

But I think itīs a little small for this size of cameras... and keep in mind.. It will do the job.. but itīs a very simple head so donīt expect more than it can give.

Once I borrowed the 501 head, I keep thinking I should have saved more and gotten that one.
Old June 27th, 2004, 04:45 AM   #53
Major Player

Boyd

When i say "nature projects" it does not include things like extreme telephoto shots of wildlife.
Almost always at full wide range of my xm2's zoom.
I like the mountains, and the slow, smooth pans.

Thank you for the links!

Marton
Prech Marton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #54
Major Player

Need a better tripod for my GL2

The free Miller I had lined up at a local TV station ended up being given to someone else *sigh*

Anyways, I need a better tripod than the crappy Sony remote tripod I am using right now.

My local shop has these three kits available

MANFROTTO 190D+700RC2 MINI PRO VIDEO KIT - $249 Canadian

MANFROTTO 055A W/501 VIDEO HEAD - $329 Canadian

MANFROTTO 756B W/501 VIDEO HEAD - $438.99 Canadian

Which one of these kits would work best with a Moderately equipped GL2 (wide angle lens, big battery, shotgun mic, etc.)
Old July 4th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #55
Major Player

Hi Jeff,

In my book "Killer Camera Rigs" I recommend using a surveyor's tripod. These are dirt cheap (about $65 U.S.), and work fine for DV work. You'll need a spreader (which I show you how to build as well). You'll save so much on your sticks this way that you'll have more money to spend on a fluid head. Get the best one you can afford! Having said that, you really don't need one rated for more than 6 pound cameras. I bought a used O'connor 25 years ago, and it's still going strong, so you might check ebay for a used head.

Good luck,

dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 06:12 AM   #56
Major Player

Well I ended up ordering 028 legs (3046) and the 501 Head.

Should be here by the end of the week. Hopefully I made a good choice.
Old July 6th, 2004, 06:27 AM   #57
Capt. Quirk

I wish I had checked this thread sooner Jeff, because I would have recommended going with a 503, and NOT the 501. I find it sticky when panning, unless it is loosened all the way, at which point it jiggles.

Others have said they have no problems, and it may just be my luck and a bad head. Hopefully your legs are heavier than my 3001 are, and will eliminate some of the problems I have.
Old July 6th, 2004, 08:07 AM   #58
Major Player

I really wanted to get the 503 head, but I had to go with what I could afford right now, plus the 501 head was on sale.

The 3046 legs are pretty heavy duty so maybe they will eliminate some of the problems with the 501

ANYTHING will be better than my Sony Remote tripod that shakes violently everytime I touch the pan handle!!!!
Old July 8th, 2004, 07:17 AM   #59
Major Player

Received the Head and Sticks yesterday and so far I am very impressed with them.
The sticks are almost 8 feet TALL when fully extended!!!
So far I really like the 501 head as well. I guess in comparison to what I was using, it is a HUGE improvement.

Here's a pic of it setup in my office
http://members.rogers.com/digitaliso/tripod1.jpg

And a shot of my GL2 on it at home
http://members.rogers.com/digitaliso/gl2_a.jpg
Old July 17th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #60
Regular Crew

Tripod for my GL2

I just purchased a tripod, 59.99 @ Ritz Camera it's a Quantary, it's Ok. Is that a BAD Move? It seems like it has a weird pan to it, not that smooth. I dopnt know if it has a fluid head on it or not, it doesnet say. Any reccomendations on a tripod under 200.00, that has a fluid head?

There tooo expensive.

Please let me know
Kevin Galliford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads