Tripod for GL2? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 2nd, 2003, 11:06 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I have the Libec and feel like it's a good solid purchase for the money, although I didn't know there was a decent Bogen combo for the same money when I bought it. The legs on the Libec do have a flimsy feel to them, but they're suprisingly solid when it's all set up. I did have one problem. The lever for the horizontal pan never locked down tight until I pried it off and stuck it back on in a better position. Still, I'm pretty happy with the thing and don't expect to replace it for a couple of years when I can spend a lot more money. Forget about pulling off a diagonal pan with the Libec though. It's never going to happen. I'd take the ball head on the Libec over the center column on the Bogen by the way, but that's just me.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 12:08 AM   #17
Regular Crew

this is my experience with the libec m20.

if possible buy it in person-test it out with your camera. i ordered one from b&h and it was horrible. i tested 3 out at a local store in burbank and found one that was fantastic. the other two were so so.

for the price and performance it can't be beat. i was close to spending more on either a gitzo or a cartoni but the the movement wasn't that much better in either that i could justify the extra expense.

other manufacturers might use better material in the legs but the libec head is pretty tight. the insides of the lower end bogens(501), gitzos and cartonis are all plastic. libec is metal.

it does the job for me and if the materials cause me any problems in the future hopefully by that time there will be a miller i could afford or someone will come out with a model that's kicks my ass!

you must remember that the gl2 is so light it's hard to find a head that works well with it. you willl find some heads to be too light (drag) or others too stiff. some may look and feel better (quality of materials) but it's all about how it handles once you have your gear on it. libec m20 is my bet!
Michael Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 01:05 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks for your replys.

http://www.cke-distribution.sageweb....gue/pr1698.htm

How about this tripod? I couldn't find a Libec M20 on a UK site.
Stewart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 12:55 PM   #19
RedeyeRob

Yeah, your link to the 650 is the same animal as the M20
Old April 4th, 2003, 04:56 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Tripod / Head Recommendation

I use a Bogen/Manfrotto 3001PRO Tripod and 3130 Fluid Head with my GL2, and I recommend them highly.

The 3001PRO is particularly useful, as each leg of the tripod is independently adjustable, which is helpful for fitting into tigh spots, plus has a neat feature which allows you to remount the center column horizontally for overhead or shooting straight down onto a subject. It folds up very compact and is pretty light weight compared to some others.

Depending on what you're shooting, I think these are good models to at least look into.

Good luck.
Noka Aldoroty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2003, 06:49 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I went a bit overboard and got the 503 head as I got a deal I couldn't pass up. That being said, this head with the 3280B tripod is an absolute dream to work with.

-- Schwa
Old November 27th, 2003, 03:56 PM   #22
Regular Crew

GL2 tripod for backpacking and wildlife filming

I'm looking for a GL2 tripod for backpacking and wildlife filming and interviews. Budget is about $500.

Stable but light as possible.

Using a Manfrotta 3130 head and Manfrotto 3001 sticks with digital camera right now.

I've read about the adjustable mounting plates to keep the center of balance of camera over the tripod. Need that too if possible. I also like being able to put mount plates on several cameras or spotting scope for quick changes.

Any other considerations to keep in mind?

Are the spike legs a must?

Thanks for the help.
Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 05:29 PM   #23
Outer Circle

Spikes ARE a must.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 07:44 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Tripods and supports for GL2.

There are seemingly 100's of tripods and supports available. I'm fairly new to this business, and I have a tripod that "will do" for now. However, being aware that most of my "filming" will not be from a tripod, and not having the steadiest of hands, I have been looking at a shoulder support that is available, and also a 'body pod;' both retail at around £100-ish, or $140-ish. Obviously there are "super-duper" models available at far greater prices. But within this price region, I was wondering if anyone has such used products or advice on any one such piece of versatile equipment---so I can get better shots on the move. Thanks.
Old January 1st, 2004, 11:52 AM   #25
RED Code Chef

Did you search and look in this forum? The question has been
asked a lot and answered as well. Thanks.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 04:50 AM   #26
Regular Crew

yea actually i did. Many hours but not found right info. Will continue the hunt. Thankyou for your assistance.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 09:28 AM   #27
New Boot

I found the Bogen 3283 legs and 503 head to be a great combo for the GL1-2 and other small cameras.

The 503 is preferred over the 501 head because it is sturdier and provides silky smooth pans and tilts.

Both are available as a set or you can purchase them separately. Figure to pay about $500-600 for them.

If you can locate an O'Connor Model 50 head that is also a good one. Much overkill for the small cameras but a nice head no less. Sometimes you can find them used for a couple hundred bucks. Price new is several thousand dollars.
Mike Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 11:11 AM   #28
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Michael,
Varizoom makes at least two models of shoulder supports for small cameras. I own one, although I do not use it very often. It's well made and thoughtfully designed.

I assume that by "body pod" you mean a stabilizer such as the Glidecam 2000 with the accessory shoulder/waist support. The G2K is a good budget, hand-held stabilizer for small cameras. However, mounting it on the "Body Pod" defeats the shock absorbtion provided by your arm in normal use. So the body pod greatly degrades the G2K's performance. (It can, however, provide a good resting spot for the unit between shots...and you will need to rest!)

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 04:51 AM   #29
Major Player

Tripod under $250 for GL2 & LANC Controller?

I am going to cash in the $250 rebate from my GL2 which I will recieve soon and hope to buy some accessories for it. I am upgrading my old tripod to a new one and in search for a tripod that's $250 or less with smooth movement, good features, and very stable. From what I've read and heard are some Bogen 3000series tripod and the Libec M20 is best for the GL2. I also am getting a LANC controller for the GL2 which is the ZR-1000. According to the manual, it says that the ZR-1000 is hooked up to a LANC controller either on the tripod or on the camera, does this mean that I will need to find a tripod that has the slot or can it just hook up the camera or what?
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:12 AM   #30
Trustee

The connector of a LANC controller must be hooked in the camcorder AND the controller itself can be attached to ANY tripod's handle.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads