Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 71 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old March 27th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #1051
Regular Crew

How to Increase bass only (Audio)

Hello,

In Vegas5, is there a way to increase the bass only for audio music?

Thank you in advance.
Old March 27th, 2005, 11:33 PM   #1052
Major Player

Serious help needed!

Hey guys... I am on a deadline with this weekly tv show I am producing.. Our first show is coming up on air... SOON!

And I am having stupid -shit-ass-trouble!

I am using connectHD to capture to m2t

then converting to the .avi form to work with

its alot faster and more responsive that way... (in the big file .avi)

I am editing using Vegas5.d

The video and audio are becoming out of sync...

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to fix this???

Time is of an essence!

thanks for taking YOUR time to help me.

Shooting in HDV with Sony Hdr-FX1
Editing on Dell Poweredge 400sc with 2 gigs ram
2 terrabytes of storage
Old March 28th, 2005, 12:02 AM   #1053
Inner Circle

Use the track EQ.

In the left hand column, click on the track effects button (it's green and looks like a rectangle in a chain.)

You should see track EQ in the top of the menu that comes up.

Click on the 1 and drag it up a little until it reads 3dB or so.

2- Make sure you are monitoring on something accurate. On poor equipment that cannot reproduce the low-end well you may be tempted to boost the bass too much. It may also have exaggerated bass and treble. In the deepest frequencies your speakers may be very quiet (possibly with distortion or lack of detail), the frequencies above them will be exaggerated (too loud), then you have the mids, and you should be able to figure out the rest.
Old March 28th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #1054
Major Player

I just have the basic Quicktime that came with the computer. Do you have to have Quicktime's authoring features to be able to save a Quicktime file from Vegas 5 to your hard drive?
Old March 28th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #1055
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas requires the authoring components to properly use QT, Tiff, and some other formats. Just install QT again and install everything listed under "custom".
Old March 28th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #1056
Inner Circle

Integrating M-Audio firewire 410

I know someone having problems integrating the M-Audio 410 into Vegas. They can't seem to get each track assigned correctly for surround sound editing. Has anyone here had experience setting it up and using it?

Thanks in advance

btw, I'm assuming ASIO would be the preferred interface?
Old March 28th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #1057
Major Player

Multi-phase editing workflow

I just want to check my thought process. I am already working on this project, but if anyone can point out easier/better, I will appreciate it (for now or next time).

I have some interview footage with 2-3 camera clips and 1 long audio clip from my iRiver/AT897. About 30 different interviews and 25 minutes of total footage. I was interviewing guests at the dinner table during a party. Before I start editing, I need to merge the two.

1. Add audio and video to timeline, sync up the two audio tracks, mute the camera audio, and render as an AVI (uncompressed default) file to lock audio to video.

2. Use that file as input for next stage, where I need to apply FX (mostly brightness and contrast), a bit of framing (I didn't test wide angle with MKE300 mic attached), and then chop it up into short clips. I will create subclips out of this.

3. Assemble the subclips.

Wonder if anyone would do it differently or use different settings for intermediate AVI file ??

Most all of the cubclips will need the same brightness adjustment. Would you do that before the intermediate render or will I lose info by doing it too early?
Old March 28th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #1058

1. Add audio and video to timeline, sync up the two audio tracks, mute the camera audio, and render as an AVI (uncompressed default) file to lock audio to video.

Adding and syncing fine. Rendering is really not necessary but you can do that. However, if you DO render, there's no need to render as uncompressed. Since you're starting with DV, render to DV (i.e. NTSC DV or PAL DV)

2. Use that file as input for next stage, where I need to apply FX (mostly brightness and contrast), a bit of framing (I didn't test wide angle with MKE300 mic attached), and then chop it up into short clips. I will create subclips out of this.

3. Assemble the subclips.

This is fine. You'll be slightly better off applying the FX AFTER the first render (which really copies since you're not changing anything). While the intermediate render is not strictly necessary, I can see how it can help you with the organization of your project.
Old March 28th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #1059
Major Player

Thanks ed. The problem I think I have is that after combining the iRiver audio, I will be chopping up and shuffling the interviews quite a bit. It seemed like this was the only way to do it. Trying to manage grouping of an alternate audio track looks hard. Or is there a way to lock teh audio so that trimming cutting keeps everything in sync?

And thanks for the heads up about rendering DV format.
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #1060
Inner Circle

This might work better:

Throw all three cams and the iriver audio onto timeline. Sync them up. (Slating at the shoot helps.)

Right click the audio (in timeline), select "create subclip".

Right click the audio, select show in media pool.

Right click the audio clip IN THE MEDIA POOL, DRAG and hover over the VIDEO clip. Select audio --> add as takes.

The audio should now be 'embedded' in the video clip with synced audio.

Rinse and repeat for the other two cameras.

2- Right click the video track and select "Media FX". You can apply exposure correction this way, and it will affect all clips based off that media.

3- If the MKE330/wide angle is an issue, you can drop cookie cutter onto Media FX too. Or if you want to render it out, include the color correction. When bringing the footage back in, add it as a take to existing video.
Old March 28th, 2005, 11:44 PM   #1061
Major Player

I downloded QT again. Does it have to be QT PRO or are the authoring features available on the regular free version of QT?
Old March 29th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #1062

You do NOT need QT Pro. Just install the STANDARD QT, choose "Custom" as the install type, and pick everything.
Old March 29th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #1063
Major Player

THANKS!

Hey, I purchased Quicktime Pro & problem solved. Thanks for all the help.
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:14 PM   #1064
Regular Crew

Color Correction

I had a plug-in for auto color correction, I believe it was Mike Crash or something like that, but I just had to format my computer and lost it. Can anyone direct me to the link to get that particular plug-in or something similar to it? Thanks again.

MITCH
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #1065

The Mike Crash tools can be found here: http://mikecrash.wz.cz/

There's also the 6cc (six vector color corrector) tool here: http://www.moosehill.se/vegas/

I'm not sure which one you're referring to.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...