Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 78 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 7th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #1156
Sponsor: JET DV

If this is any indication: Last year's are still there!
Old April 7th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #1157
Regular Crew

Dennis,

I can't resist saying "Until Vegas 7 arrives"

Thanks,

Jay
Old April 8th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #1158
Slash Rules!

Alright, Troxilla, thanks. Seems your newsletter simply says to use MPEG-2 mainconcept encoder, and the preset for MPEG-2 DV stream (or whatever). I made the mistake the first time of not including audio, but now it's all good in the hood, yo dope whack bling homey shorty.
Old April 8th, 2005, 07:03 PM   #1159
Trustee

Hi Patrick,
For your sake (and that of anyone else who isn't married to Cineform) I will let you know I'm using MidVid's MJPEG codec with great results. By far the best looking compression, relatively efficient too. Perfect for NLE. And free!

Reason I switched away from QT is I Was getting problems keeping the frames accurate. It was for some reason inserting a random number of frames for each clip throwing off my synchronization.
Old April 9th, 2005, 05:39 AM   #1160
Inner Circle

Hmmm . . .the registration site seems to be down (with the following message: "This site is temporarily unavailable.
Please notify the System Administrator" - HOW???).
Old April 9th, 2005, 06:05 AM   #1161
Regular Crew

Ian,

Down for maintenance overnight. Will be back up in the morning.

Jay Mitchell
Old April 9th, 2005, 06:29 AM   #1162
Inner Circle

I'll be back!

Many thanks Jay.
Old April 10th, 2005, 06:01 AM   #1163
RED Code Chef

I've registered, can't way to see what they've done to the package!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 11th, 2005, 03:33 AM   #1164
Regular Crew

urgent - printing to tape problem

EDIT: i've figured out how to print both the video and audio to tape (simply by using the "print to tape" feature rather than just playing the timeline to the external monitor) but now I have a new problem: Vegas starts to render the whole thing though I have not added any effects that need rendering. Then it gives me an error, not enough space (even though I have 9 gb free and it's about 30 minutes of video)

What am I doing wrong? Is it really necessary to render everything before printing to tape?

EDIT2: It might be good to mention that the project is PAL widescreen (16:9), progessive. I've tried all the different settings, but every time the whole timeline needs to be rendered, which always gets an out of space-error immediately. Now I'm rendering the whole thing to an AVI, maybe that can be exported...

any help would be greatly appreciated, i'm in a hurry!
Old April 11th, 2005, 06:34 AM   #1165
Major Player

Well, if your input is not 100% PAL widescreen (16:9), progessive, that would explain the renders.
Old April 11th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #1166
Regular Crew

my input is 100% widescreen PAL, progressive. I've tried outputting it as such, and I've tried everything else: interlaced, 4:3, etc.. every possible combination - each requires the rendering.

What I really want to know is - do you normally have to render everything or is it because I screwed up some setting?
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:27 AM   #1167

Vegas ONLY outputs audio over firewire when you do a print to tape. When you "play the timeline", the audio goes out the audio card. Also, when you "play the timeline", you may not get full framerates depending on the number of effects added... etc...

The correct way to output to tape is to do a Tools - Print to DV Tape. This will render all pieces that need rendering, prepare the audio for output, and then send the results to tape. ONLY changed sections will be rendered. If you have not changed any particular piece, that piece will NOT be rendered.

As for running out of space, how many drives do you have? Have you changed where Vegas stores "Temp" files? It's possible your "C" drive is running out of space even though your files are on the "D" drive and your result is going to the "D" drive. Look in both Options - Preferences and File - Properties and change the file locations.

As for why you think pieces are rendering that don't need rendering, it's hard to say without more information. For example, does your project type match your media type? Do you have a 3D track? Could you have possibly added an effect? Are all the "Levels" sliders on the track headers at 100%? etc...
Old April 11th, 2005, 10:16 AM   #1168
Regular Crew

ready to buy. will I get a free upgrade to 6?

I evaluated Vegas a month or two ago but decided to wait to see if there would be a new version coming out. Now I see that 6 will be officially announced in about 1 week. Should I hold off on purchasing Vegas 5+DVD today or is there any official word on a free upgrade to 6 when it's ready? I'm hoping I can go ahead and buy 5 and start using it right now and then upgrade it to 6.0 for free when it's available. But if I can't do that, I'll have to wait. And then I might change my mind again...
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #1169

If you purchase Vegas 5 + DVD today, you will qualify for a free upgrade to Vegas 6 + DVD. Videoguys is running a special right now.
Old April 12th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #1170
Regular Crew

These four Sony NAB 2005 Training Classroom Sessions will be captured and made available to view as multicam edited streaming videos for all Sony Vegas and DVD Architect software users, worldwide. Each classroom session and video will run 45 minutes.

Vegas 6 Essentials
Vegas 6 New Features
DVD Architect 3 Essentials
DVD Architect 3 New Features

The Sony NAB 2005 Vegas 6 and DVD Architect 3 Streaming Video Sessions are being produced by Liam kennedy and Jay Mitchell of the SCVUG and will be available to view on VegasEditors.com

The streams will be available to view on Tuesday April 19th.

Registration is required to view the streams.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...