Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) - Page 84 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old April 18th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #1246
Regular Crew

Now if I shoot at 24p, does that mean that I have to change the properties to 24p?
Old April 18th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #1247
RED Code Chef

Yes, you will have to. Usually it is also wise to set your project settings to
interlaced/progressive if you shoot in 60i/30p.

Which NLE software are you using?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #1248
RED Code Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Bergerstock
does anyone know
what editing software was originally sent with the xl1s?
Hello Dana, welcome aboard (H)DVInfo.net!

As far as I know the XL1(s) never came with editing software. It didn't come
with any software at all!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 18th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #1249
Regular Crew

I know that this is going to sound fairly inexperienced but what is NLE? I am using Vegas 5 now if that tells you anything. Also, what is the difference between 60i and 30p? Thanks again.
Old April 18th, 2005, 12:43 PM   #1250
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lohman
Chris: that is default with Windows monitor spanning that you only get the
taskbar on the primary monitor.
Yea, I tried disabling the secondary monitor in windows and letting hydravision handle them, but no avail.

I am getting used to the lack of the taskbar on the 2nd screen, just drives me crazy when I cant get something to work correctly!
Old April 18th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #1251
Major Player

Peter Jefferson: Now That You Can Talk...

Heya,

Just a question: what are the V6 features that, in your words --

WILL be the biggest thing to hit ANY NLE (and the Industry as a whole) in a long time, and I'll be glad to be rid of my Avid..

I'm not trying to bait you for an attack or anything -- I'm genuinely curious.

Personally, I'm very happy with the release, if only because it puts Vegas on even footing with the other Big Dogs -- AAF, Decklink support, better media management, and faster render times alone put it in the high-end mix. With a few qualifications, these things steal a lot of Avid's thunder. But none of them are exactly Earth shattering.

- jim
Old April 18th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #1252
Trustee

If they put the MXF capability into it it would have been earth shattering for me! Its annoying that they have aversion that has this that they are demoing, but didn't release it!!!

Now why you ask is MXF so important? After all xdcam owners are a minority. Well, doesn't P2 record to MXF too? So if Sony got on with an update and released it with MXF compatibility pronto we would have a fully HVX200 compatible editor on the market right now that all of us could afford.
Old April 18th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #1253
Major Player

I'm sure the only reason it's a tech demo and not in Vegas is that they would rather do it right, than right now. However, Decklink was a tech demo a year before it was implmented and I'd hate for you to have to wait a whole year for your Holy Grail. Someone has already suggested it will be in a 6.0 update, so that will likely not happen.
Old April 18th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #1254
Trustee

True. Certainly I want it done right. However it has been quite a long time since it was hinted to me that it would be in a future release. It must have confused both Spot and Ed Troxel. Spot has updated his article to say it isn't in this release, but I think that because it was demoed Ed thought it was in there this time around. Such a shame. Hopefully it won't be too long. I seem to remember that the first update to Vegas 5 wasn't too long after its initial release.
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #1255
Inner Circle

"Now why you ask is MXF so important? After all xdcam owners are a minority. Well, doesn't P2 record to MXF too? So if Sony got on with an update and released it with MXF compatibility pronto we would have a fully HVX200 compatible editor on the market right now that all of us could afford."

I was actually talkin to the Aus Sony distributor the other day about this and no, Vegas doesnt support MXF files at ths time. It would be good to have this, as well as DVCPRo, as the ability to edit DVCProHD50@24fps would be sheer bliss...

anyways to answer the question...

taken from the site...

24-bit/192 kHz audio support
Vegas 6 software supports full resolution 24-bit/32-bit 192 kHz files for the ultimate in audio fidelity. Import, save, and even record to this resolution if your hardware supports it.
Now when u consider this.. imagine running an 8channel line input straight into ur laptop.. which is hooked up to a console from a band which is playing live..
now what u can do is literally record each channel at 192khz (for DVDAudio Delivery.. but even better than this.. the files themselves can carry metadata and timecode.. no need fo an external recorder which will set you back thousands.. just get urself a Lappy and a decent Soundcard with multi ins and ur set to record live gigs..

Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) import
(( the name implies the format.. this is standard across most external audio recording devices such as the Alessis CF Recorder which i cant remember the model of :( ))

Metadata on all rendered and captured files..all databased and easily searched for example, all ur clips can contain data which details filters, frames and timecodes, u can even tag files for archiving later on.. for example u shoto a wedding and theres a nice shot u want to retain for a demo.. tag it.. when u finsih ur project and u want to delete all ur raw material, do a search for the tag and put the file in a safe place, now u can delete the rest of the stuff u no longer need.... instead of having to go thru and search each clip for that shot. This also allows u to create databases of projects and file types based on their attributes.
Lets say your working on a project which has its source material from varying sources.. for eg, ur working a 16:9 Doco....and you just want to find the 4:3 footage coz u want to convert it to 16:9... u can search this data within a range and Vegas will tell u which files are 16:9 and which arent.. Sometimes when working with corporate or documentarys, the source material doesnt conform with the rest of teh project. if files need converting, this is the easiest way to find out WHICH ONES need converting.. (thats just an example, a really REALLY basic one.. but there are other uses for it too)
I havent seen any other App do this..

And finally....
AAF Import and Export New!
You can use AAF (Advanced Authoring Format) files to exchange projects between applications.
((THIS is what i was talking about.. i can literally open projects within Vegas created in FCP or Avid and work on them from here in Aus, then uplaod them to an FTP for my colleagues in the UK who use FCP and they can finish off..
This feature hasnt been implemented to any editor within this "Range" of NLE's ))

Once this trend begins, it wont matter which NLE people are using.. obviously there wil be some difference with regard to filters etc, but the fact that this is possible means that eventually it wont matter what NLE people use... :)

As for Avid, that was just my own spin on these changes.. i wont need to use it anymore as the only reason i did, was for its extensive management. I still prefer teh Vegas workflow and its only downside was its bummed out management and render times..
but Avid, for what it is and for i do within my own business, is overkill.. but many others its stil teh perfect tool.. hell i have a colleague who once said to me that if avid set him back $40k he'd still buy it..
I like avid, but for what i do, its too much
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #1256
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas 6a build 99 is importing MXF files by simply dragging them straight to the timeline. Tim Duncan's been doing it all day. Check out the newsletter for much more information as to what's new.
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:11 PM   #1257
Regular Crew

OK I tried to recapture the sucessful 1st tape and no luck.
Changed the ext hd from firewire 800 to USB 2 and still no luck.
The original sucessful capture was at 3.32 meg per sec no problems there.
Project properties have the prerendered files folder in the ext drive. That is: to F:/ and in Preferences I have the Temp files folder in the ext drive as well, that is F:/
I am sending the captured vid to a folder in the ext drive, that is F:/Captures/
I have tried without preview audio, reduced the preview screen to minimum.
If it's not the tapes nor th camera then it must be something in my set up.
I have quite a bit of other stuff on my machine, but have double checked the task manager and there doesn't appear to be anything else running...........
Am tearing hair out now, since I could capture once and now I can't , what has changed or what have I changed without knowing it?
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #1258
Inner Circle

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...FeatureID=8217

what your wanting now is to use DVDA3's Playlist tools..

this allows u to chain up each clip you have and play them in sequnce AND also set them up to only play one at a time.. :)
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:22 PM   #1259
Major Player

Going to the "Next" clip...

Hi all,

I have my DVD set up in DVDA2 and I've rendered it out and it looks pretty good. All the menus work as they should and all links are valid.

Here's my problem.

The DVD is composed of 48 dance clips of about 3 minutes each.

I've created menu chapters by linking the chapter button to the first dance of a 3 dance set (each chapter is arranged this way). After that each dance links into the next and the last dance of a chapter is linked to the first dance of the next chapter. So far so good.

However, for some reason when I press the "Next" button on my DVD player (a PS2) it won't skip to the next dance. The "Prev" button only takes me back to the beginning of the dance. The only way for me to go back or forward - apart from ff & rew - is to go back to the menu. That's not suitable.

I put "markers" at the beginning and end of each dance when I rendered them in Vegas5 and that didn't seem to help.

Am I missing something here? It's the only fly in an otherwise suitable ointment.

Thanks for listening.

sincerely,

ian

Last edited by Ian Slessor; April 18th, 2005 at 07:21 PM. Reason: clearing up info
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #1260
Major Player

Huh. Hope you're right, but I thought Sony said it was a tech demo only.

Peter -- your tagging theories, if proven correct, are great!

Doesn't PPro have AAF?

- jim

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...