Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 117 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old December 19th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #1741
Regular Crew

Good idea - but tons of source is my problem.
I have close to 100 hours of footage of this project, so I'll need to render in stages, then clean up the drives. Sort of complicates your process. I suppose I can also re-connect in stages.
I guess the best solution is Cineform's new one - so I can capture in my destination's codec. But I can't wait till 1/19! I have a deadline, so i need to be editing as we speak!

Steve
Old December 19th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #1742
Regular Crew

Steven, how about using original m2ts in step 2 of Alex's process, that way you would have the advantage of quicker editing together with space saving? HUFFYUV might be needed in Premiere because it does not handle m2ts directly.
Old December 19th, 2003, 09:23 PM   #1743
Regular Crew

video effects stopped working

Hello,
I was putting together a short video using a lens flare across the title text. Everything worked well until I restarted the program later. The lens flare was not working. Then I tried to place a cookie cutter over a video track and it wouldn't show up. What gives? I must have hit something by accident but I can't figure out what.

Please help me!!

Thanks in advance,
Adam
Old December 19th, 2003, 09:51 PM   #1744
Regular Crew

Never mind, I figured it out.
I must have hit that split screen button down on the preview window. Once I clicked on that the video effects started working again. It must just bypass those effects in the preview window.

Thanks anyway!
Old December 19th, 2003, 10:12 PM   #1745
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel :
Seriously, the method for "tearing" the windows from the bottom area is to click on the thin line to the left of the window. When you click there and drag, you will get a free floating window. If you hold down the control key while dragging a window, it will prevent it from snapping into the bottom area.
-->>>

You know, I'd been wondering how to get my windows back to the free floating state for the better part of a year, but never got around to asking. Thanks Edward!
Old December 19th, 2003, 11:03 PM   #1746
Sponsor: JET DV

The Split Screen button is there so you can compare a "before effect/after effect" or two different shots with each other. When you have it turned on, you can click and drag the mouse on the preview window to determine what areas show the before footage and what areas show the after footage. Most of the time when someone says their effects are not working or are working only on PART of the screen, this is the cause.

It's a powerful feature when used correctly.
Old December 20th, 2003, 11:20 PM   #1747
Major Player

Video Capture bins vs Vegas bins

Newbie question.

so I capture a couple hundred clips, and create bins in the Clip Explorer of Video Capture. Then I want to use all these clips and the bins already created in a Vegas 4.0 project. But I can't find the bins. I see all the clips as files in WinXP Explorer and Explorer in Vegas, but not the bins and the organisation I've already created. Do Video Capture and Vegas set up completely separate and unrelated bin structures?

thanks,
Scott
Old December 21st, 2003, 12:58 PM   #1748

While I have not tried that particular feature, my understanding is that they WOULD transfer.
Old December 23rd, 2003, 12:14 AM   #1749
Regular Crew

Dolby Digital 5.1 Encoding

New to this and I just ordered Vegas 4.0+DVD (to beat the supposed price increase... gosh I'm a sucker...).

I've wanted to encode Dolby 5.1 for a while now to create a few trailers for my home theater and for other interesting experiments.

Can someone briefly describe the interface to the encoder and whether you can synchronize 6 channels of, say, .wav files and then encode them?

How does it work?

Thanks!

- GLupien
Old December 23rd, 2003, 01:41 AM   #1750
Major Player

You can mix in 5.1 surround on the timeline of Vegas. Just change the project Audio settings (File - Properties) to 5.1.

If you have a soundcard with seperate outputs for all 6 speakers, you will be able to monitor during mixing. Otherwise, you can monitor via your normal L+R speakers (which I do and after some trial and error you learn how to do that).

If you want produce a surround audio file (.AC3), you need the software Dolby Digital encoder which is installed with DVDA and will be available in the Render window of Vegas. So all your audiotracks will be mixed to 1 AC3 file, which can be added to a dvd project in DVDA.
Old December 23rd, 2003, 08:35 AM   #1751
Regular Crew

Thanks Peter!

So, since I have purchased the "+DVD" version, I should have the software encoder.

- GLupien
Old December 23rd, 2003, 09:11 AM   #1752

Yes. Since you purchased the +DVD version you will have the 5.1 AC-3 encoder.
Old December 23rd, 2003, 11:44 AM   #1753
Major Player

What I also do is creating Windows Media 9 files which can have 5.1 digital surround sound. The WM 9 encoder that came with the 4b update of Vegas gives you the possibilty to render for webformat including surround sound. You can hear this for example in the HQ version of the short movie ZZZAP I did earlier this year (check the website below in my footer).
Old December 23rd, 2003, 03:56 PM   #1754
Major Player

Well, in my experience, yes and no.

IF you start in Vegas, open up a bin and click the "capture" icon button to launch Video Capture, you can capture directly into the selected Media Pool Bin.

However, I have not found a way of transferring the entire Capture bin structure into Vegas Media Pool.
Old December 23rd, 2003, 09:46 PM   #1755
Wrangler

Right-click any bin in Video Capture - you'll see the command to Add to Media Pool.

* The command won't be available if Vegas isn't open.

In contrast to Explorer, the bins act as pointers to the original files, letting you organize your media without affecting the original files. The bins in Video Capture are separate from the bins in Vegas. Bins are saved with each Vegas project file and with each Video Capture file.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...