Vegas Video discussions from 2003 - Page 56 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 21st, 2003, 08:04 PM   #826
Wrangler

What's the newest version #?
Old August 21st, 2003, 08:16 PM   #827
Regular Crew

I had trouble seeing and understanding the ssstuttering tool in Tsunami. Is that a similar effect as the ghosting effect we talked about in a thread last month?
Old August 21st, 2003, 08:37 PM   #828
Sponsor: JET DV

I will agree that that effect does not show well in the video demo (it looked better on the screen). I still need to update that video and get a better sample of that shot and improve the audio.

Here's the basic premise behind it. Say you have a locked down shot on a tripod and someone walks across the shot. The person would be seen 3 times - kind of like a shadowing trail. It's a really interesting effect.

Look at your mouse when you turn on the "trails". This behaves similarly.
Old August 21st, 2003, 08:37 PM   #829
Major Player

I ran a short test on a clip of a child lighting a candle in a church in the near dark. Slowed it down a bit and applied a little stuttering effect. Beautiful.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 07:54 AM   #830
Major Player

Edward, are there plans to enhance or add to the current tsunami offering? If so, will there be upgrades fees, or is a lisence good for any/all future updates?
Old August 22nd, 2003, 08:46 AM   #831

Any updates to Tsunami will be free. If there is a Tsunami II, it will be an entirely different product. As to whether Tsunami will acquire additional features: unknown at this time.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 07:57 PM   #832
Regular Crew

.avi to mydvd?

Hi all,
I am capturing scenes from an anolog 8mm sony and entering them into Vegas. Some of the more active scenes (like walking across the room with the camera following me) appear to be wavy. I figured this problem would go away after it was rendered so I rendered what I had as an AVI. Playing the AVI back with windows media player showed no signs of the probem, it was nice and clear.
Then I brought the AVI into mydvd (which came with my burner) and burned it onto a dvd-rw. The dvd played in my dvd player, but the darn wavy picture was back. What could be causing this?
I was going to link to a picture on my page, but it is temporarily down. I can email a captured image to anyone who may be interested.

Thanks in advance.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Adam
Old August 22nd, 2003, 08:11 PM   #833

WHERE are you playing this? It sounds like the interlacing issue. If interlaced video is played on a PC, you can see this. If progressive video is played on a TV, it can also show this.

Render to standard DV-AVI and give that file to MyDVD. Create the DVD and see how it looks on a TV.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 08:35 PM   #834
Regular Crew

hi,
I guess I used standard avi.
This is what it said below...

Audio: 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, PCM Uncompressed.
Video: 29.97 fps, 720x480, Lower field first.
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 0.909. OpenDML compatible.
NTSC DV video files compatible with Sonic Foundry Video Capture.
Old August 23rd, 2003, 08:32 PM   #835
Regular Crew

Tsunami II request

Edward,

Congratulations on Tsunami - the thing I love about it is that by making long and arduous jobs so simple, it gives us more time to "play" with settings and become more creative. I know many have commented on the Extract Good Clips tool, but the ones I have had most fun with so far are the video wall and PinP.

The fact that you've moved into the Artistic side of script use has I think unlocked a huge potential for creativity.

Anyway - I was wondering ....

An effect sometimes used in TV title sequences is breaking a picture into several separated vertical rectangles, and for those rectangles to vary in width - some getting wider whilst others shrink. Sometimes the rectangles have shadows.

I have achieved a somewhat similar effect by duplicating the same clip several times and applying pan crop, then keyframing sizes.
Track Motion also can be introduced to make the "split" picture smaller within the main frame.

This of course is a long and fiddly process, which made me wonder whether scripts could make things easier in the same way you have with Excalibur and Tsunami

Anyway, I'd certainly be happy to purchase such a tool..

regards

peter
Old August 24th, 2003, 03:16 AM   #836
Regular Crew

Freezing video to a frame and resuming.

I was wondering how you could do this. Setting a velocity envelope to 0% would obviously be impossible. I've done it by taking a snapshot of a frame and inserting it, but I get black bars on the sides even though I compensated for 4:3 ratio (720x540 ntsc).

Thanks for any help.
Old August 24th, 2003, 06:11 AM   #837
Inner Circle

Split the clip where you want the freeze to start and end (unless it's at the end of the clip, then split where you want it to start freeze and go to the end) use a velocity envelope set to zero;0, and you're done.
Don
Old August 24th, 2003, 06:13 AM   #838

Could you explain why "setting the velocity envelope to 0% would obviously not work"?

I DO use a velocity envelope for this task. If you want a sudden stop, you can set TWO points, one frame apart, the first at 100% and the second at 0%. Then, when you want movement to start again, set two more points - the first at 0% and the second at 100%.

If you want the speed to gradually change, just increase the number of frames between the two points.
Old August 24th, 2003, 06:15 AM   #839

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Bloom : Split the clip where you want the freeze to start and end (unless it's at the end of the clip, then split where you want it to start freeze and go to the end) use a velocity envelope set to zero;0, and you're done.
Don -->>>

There's really no need to split when you can just add two points to the velocity envelope at the beginning and end.
Old August 24th, 2003, 06:25 AM   #840
Major Player

It's not impossible at all!
Suppose you have a video event that you want to run forward first - up to a point where you freeze one frame, and then the event continues after a while?

Set a point at the frame you want to freeze, then one just before it. Set the first one to 0%. Then - down along the timeline for the amount of time you want the freeze to last, set another point and one just after. Set the first of these to 0%. Now you must drag the event out (grab the right edge of it and pull) until you reach that little triangle that tells you the event now occupy as much space on the timeline as it will last in playback. That's it.

The distance between the 100% and the 0% defines how sharp or gradual you want the stop/start to be.

EDIT: "the first one" meaning the frist you made, not the first on the timeline.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...