Adobe Premiere discussions from 2002 - Page 22 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old October 22nd, 2002, 05:13 PM   #316
Regular Crew

Thank you, all:

After all considerations, finishing the video portion of the project in Premiere and bringing it into Vegas for the voice-over seems to make the most sense. (Thanks, Brian)

I could try to mess with Premiere (starting the audio recording first, then playing back the video for visual cues), but since I will not get the voice-over done in one single pass (more like several small chunks)... it seems to be a little too much hassle.

Next time, I'll probably do the whole thing in Vegas... I just haven't had the chance to learn the program, yet.

Thanks again for the input. You guys are great.
Old October 22nd, 2002, 06:57 PM   #317
Major Player

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but it looks like you figured something out.

I don't have an 'audio input' into my computer (that I know of), so I did not record a voice over directly into Premiere or directly into my computer.

What I did was to take a blank tape, my GL-1, go to a nice quiet room, hook up a shotgun mic, turn on the camera and record - me reading the voice over. It was only about four minutes or so.

I then took the footage and imported into Premiere, just as I would any other video footage, placed the footage on the timeline, unlinked the video from the audio and lay the audio track in the approrpriate place in the timeline. That way, using the same microphone as I used to record the short, I also used for the voice-over (though not recorded at the same time or in the same location).

It is a "poor-man's" voice over, but it worked beautifully for me.

Good luck.
Old October 22nd, 2002, 10:12 PM   #318
Regular Crew

Thanks, Mark:

I rendered to project out and brought it into Vegas Video.

I looked in the "no-help help" section, but got no help. I added an audio track, and armed it to record, set a destination... and voila! Real-time voice-over.

I knew there was a reason I bought both Premiere and Vegas!
Old October 23rd, 2002, 09:47 AM   #319
Major Player

I haven't been too thrilled with Premiere's Help menu (I like that 'no help-help'!) either. I just thought it was lack of experience that made it difficult for me to use.
Old October 23rd, 2002, 12:46 PM   #320
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

if i remember correctly .. when you bring in a STILL into a video editor the video editor must then get a outside READER to view the still which then slows down previews ... some editors have a built in jpeg or targa or tiff reader ... PSD files tend to be very large plus requires a outside reader = takes up processing time while editing ....
Old October 25th, 2002, 10:37 AM   #321
Regular Crew

Lack of experience makes everything seem difficult, at first.

Even the Vegas Video tutorial whizzes through... only lightly touching an various subjects.

It's almost like they're running a scam to get us to buy expensive tutorials to learn to use the software.

I will give VV3 credit, though. The audio controls are pretty killer, and I am able to get it to do what I need it to.

I think the thing that bugs me the most about the 'no-help help' sections of so many software programs is that even when they do cover the topic you need help with... the instructions often assume you know everything about their software... except the question you are asking.

They'll start out with something like, "click on the XXX icon to do XXX". They often fail to tell you where you can find the XXX icon.

Thank God for the Internet.
Old October 26th, 2002, 03:40 PM   #322
Rick Reed

Windows ME system. I've re-installed Windows ME. Didn't fix it. I'll try the adobe upgrade next. Thanks Rob.

Old October 28th, 2002, 03:04 AM   #323
RED Code Chef

Again I suggest you move to Windows 2000 Professional. That
is much better for video work. I haven't heard of a lot of people
that use Windows ME succesfully for the work we do. It might
be a good thing to try and get a Windows 2000 Prof. copy some-
where to try before you actually buy one ofcourse. It might also
be that some hardware component is not 100% okay (like your
memory chips. This can result in strange behaviour sometimes).

Good luck.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 29th, 2002, 09:29 PM   #324
Regular Crew

Frame Hold glitch in Premiere 6.5

Hey guys,

I'm having a glitch with premiere 6.5 when I do some editing to clips.

Ok, here is whats going on.

I have a clip that I razor in half then I do a Frame Hold on the second half of the clip to change the frame rate. The problem is that when I play back the clip there is a glitch in there. When I play it back frame by frame and i get to the razor cut there will be 3 frames from the very beginning of the clip at the beginning of the second half of the clip. I've tried some things but i can't fix this. Anybody else ever experience this?

thanx
Old October 30th, 2002, 09:17 AM   #325
hamiltong

Canon Elura questions - Premiere capturing and 16:9

I've recently gotten back into DV editing with my old Canon Elura. I currently use Adobe Premiere 6.X, Win XP / NTFS. I dropped this technology years ago because at the time the NLE packages seemed over my head - and things were relatively unstable.

First question is: Elura 16x9 widescreen option. Is this a matted implementation or an electronic implementation?

Second question: When capturing into Premiere do I need to do something special for 16x9?

Third question: Progressive-Scan movie mode - when recording on the Elura in this mode do I need to change the capture settings in Premiere to ensure I'm capturing all the frames? I can only select 29.97 or 25 fps.

I'm also wondering - if I want to create anomorphic DVD's - should I use Premiere to ouput the MPEG2 or simply save the DV (AVI) file uncompressed and use TMPEG to do the conversion?

thx. -gh

Old October 30th, 2002, 09:38 AM   #326
RED Code Chef

I haven't done much in Premiere (6.5) yet, so I haven't seen this.
But you might trying to look around the adobe site for support
forums/email for this?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 30th, 2002, 10:41 AM   #327
Obstreperous Rex

First question: it's an electronic implementation.

I'll have to defer the other questions to those who know Premiere.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old November 1st, 2002, 06:34 PM   #328
New Boot

Premiere Effect Keyframing Question

I would like to know how to use keyframes in Premiere (v6.5) like in FCP3. In FCP you can start the effect from nothing and bring it upto whatever level you decide. So I could gradually shift from black and white back to color. Or from no emboss to emboss, or whatever. I'm not looking for a specific effect, just a way to go from no effect to effect across the board.

I know some effects can be dialed down to the point where it is not noticeable but this isn't the case with all of them.

Any insights?

Thanks,
jake
Old November 3rd, 2002, 12:13 PM   #329
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

#! elura is squeezed 16x9 ...

#2 if premiere is set up using OHCI 1394 then it only captures DATA from tape ... you will need to set up your premiere editing project as 16x9 to edit it ( so previews are 16x9 )

#3 if using OHCI 1394 only data is transferred - you just capture at standard NTSC 29.97 /PAL 25 settings ... remember each progressive frames are made of 2 FIELDS so to any NTSC/PAL editor it looks the same as interalce frames ( each made up of 2 fields) .. the only place you will see the difference is when you RENDER ( and that is only if you mix interlace clips with progressive - and that is if you render as progressive because the interlace clips wil now be changed to progressive ... NOTE that rendering progressive frames as interlace does NOT change them ( the 2 fields put together will still be a perfect match)

don't know about the DVD
Old November 4th, 2002, 10:16 AM   #330
Wrangler

10 easy steps

10 easy steps:

1. Load video onto timeline.

2. Apply desired affect.

3. On the arrow down next to the video track (video 2, 3 1a, 1b etc. Where you fade up and down video), select the diamond shape with a line through it. This now selects the key frames.

4. Move the time line to the place you want to start the effect (I.e. the beginning).

5. Tick the box which has two arrows pointing in opposite directions (below the video track name).

6. In the effects panel set effect to 0%.

7. Go to the end of the video and repeat step 5.

8. Repeat step 6 but set the effect to 100%.

9. If its not a real time effect it will need to be rendered.

10. You should now see the effect go from 0% - 100% of the clip i.e. If you have applied a blur, then the video image will be normal at beginning and then totally blurred out at the end.

Hope this helps, hope it makes sense.

All the best,

Ed Smith

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite