Adobe Premiere discussions from 2002 - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old September 24th, 2002, 07:10 PM   #241
New Boot

A few video effects in Premiere...

Hey..I'm making a lil movie with my friends. Sort of a "testing the waters" project with the XL1s. Anyhoo...I need to know how to do a few things to the video.

1. Make video roll (as if a television was malfunctioning).

2. In some old films, there's a little squiggly line that keeps going back and forth on the side of the video, how do I make this?

3. Also, in some old films, there's that black and white countdown screen (that wipes like a clock), with beeps as each number changes "4..3...2...1..."

I'm not even sure if I can do these things in Premiere. I think there might even be the "countdown" thing under quicktime transitions, but I am unable to use them because I do not have a current version of quicktime installed (and to get a new one, you have to download it directly from the internet, and can't save and transfer the setup file. The other computer, the one that I edit on, is not hooked up to the internet). I have After Effects, but am unfamiliar with it. If these things are possible in that program, please post tutorials! Thank you!

-Ryoko
Old September 24th, 2002, 10:20 PM   #242
Regular Crew

I'm assuming you mean 9 minutes of video? You need to switch over to either Windows 2000 or Windows XP where you can use the NTFS file system instead of FAT32/FAT16. NTFS doesn't have any file size restrictions when it comes to video.
Old September 24th, 2002, 10:39 PM   #243
Wrangler

1) Video Roll: this is the most complicated of your requests. There are several ways I can think of doing it. You can try feeding your footage through an analog television monitor with a malfunctioned or controllable vertical blanking, and then point your camera at the TV to capture the effect. Less primitive is to accomplish the effect in After Effects. If you're unfamiliar with After Effects, this will take a bit of time to learn, as it's not as straightforward as other software packages. I don't think you'll be able to do it with Premiere's motion function, but I could be wrong. I can't post entire tutorials on After Effects here, but there are many good ones on the internet, and the textbook Creating Motion Graphics with After Effects provides thorough coverage.

2) What you're looking for here is an "Old Movie" filter effect, which is implemented in many popular software packages to varying degrees of authenticity and controllability. The Canopus DVStorm editing card has a pretty cheesy old movie filter (it simulates hairs with piecewise linear vector curves!); you can also find such filters for After Effects and Sonic Foundry's Vegas Video 3.

3) The countdown leader is a fun piece of stock footage that you will be able to find in any collection of film snippets. If you can't find some already built, get some old 8 mm films from a film school friend and use his/her 8 mm projector to project the countdown leader on a white wall in a dark room--then record the reflection using your video camera.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old September 24th, 2002, 11:22 PM   #244
Regular Crew

Effects in Premiere

Ok. You can definitely do the vertical roll and the universal countdown with Premiere.

For the roll, right click on your clip, then click on filters, then find the shear filter and adjust the direction and rate to achieve the roll that you want.

For the countdown, click on Project, then create, then Universal Counting leader, you can adjust the settings in here as well.
Old September 25th, 2002, 12:16 AM   #245
New Boot

Tnx Robert, I found the dissolve transition and now i can manage fading. It was a very helpful hint, Thank you a lot

Dave
Old September 25th, 2002, 01:10 AM   #246
Regular Crew

I am on Windows 2000 and I have tried this with FAT32 and NTFS formatted drives. This is something else stopping the recording.

BTW, I have a Canopus Raptor card and use an ADVC-100 box to capture video. I normally use Raptor RT video for capturing instead of Premiere for it's convenience.

Any ideas?
Old September 25th, 2002, 12:00 PM   #247
Sponsor: JET DV

FAT32 has a 4GB limit which is about 18 minutes. 9 minutes is about 2GB which is the typical limit of many older programs. Look in the configuration of the capture program and see if there are any preferences specifying the maximum file length, the type of file (AVI Type 2 using OpenDML will go longer lengths on an NTFS drive), the format of the destination drive...

I would suspect the Rapter RT software (never used it so have no advice as to where to find any settings)
Old September 25th, 2002, 01:05 PM   #248
Regular Crew

I can't find anything regarding this on the Raptor RT program. Does anyone else on this forum use this program for capture?
Old September 26th, 2002, 10:38 AM   #249
New Boot

Premiere?

Which version/build of Premiere are you refering to? I cant find any of those options in mine, which is version 6.0. Right clicking on the clip does not bring up a FILTER item for example. However I am a bit new to PREMIERE and maybe am doing this a bit wrong. I opened an MPG clip and simply right clicked it....
Old September 26th, 2002, 11:14 AM   #250
Regular Crew

Filters

I am using Premiere 5.1c RT. The clip should be in the timeline when you right click on it.
Old September 26th, 2002, 12:59 PM   #251
mbearden

Did this correct itself for you?

Mine has been doing this on and off since the upgrade to 6.5 but I thought it was because I occassionally make changes to the gain under "Clip, Audio Options, Audio Gain"

Either way, it seems broken. Any solutions?

Old September 26th, 2002, 02:45 PM   #252
Silver925

I still always open and close the mixer...

Old September 26th, 2002, 05:30 PM   #253
New Boot

Thanks for your help! I was able to achieve an adequate video roll using a combination of the "Shear" and "Roll" filters, and I did exactly what Robert suggested to make the countdown, which works nicely. Now I have one problem: I can't seem to find an "old movie" filter that adds the little line on the left of the screen, or dust and scratches. The filters that I'm finding only add monochrome noise, which I could do myself, and they don't make it look very realistic.

btw, I use Premiere 6.0

-Ryoko
Old September 26th, 2002, 06:48 PM   #254
Regular Crew

Line Filter

Try going back into the filter pallet and choosing the Quick time filter and check its pallet. I don't know what it is or does but there is something in there about a line setting.
Old September 26th, 2002, 07:38 PM   #255
New Boot

Re: A few video effects in Premiere...

<<<-- Originally posted by wiredryoko : ...quicktime transitions, but I am unable to use them because I do not have a current version of quicktime installed (and to get a new one, you have to download it directly from the internet, and can't save and transfer the setup file. The other computer, the one that I edit on, is not hooked up to the internet). -->>>
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite