Adobe Premiere discussions from 2002 - Page 25 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old December 3rd, 2002, 07:34 PM   #361
Regular Crew

Personally I would not capture that length as one file. Much better using a batch capture utility and mark your scenes.
One big file can become one big headache.
That being said I do like your win XP upgrade idea because NTFS is better for video.

Best of luck,
-Stable working systems motherboard configurations-
Old December 4th, 2002, 02:33 AM   #362
Major Player

Rick,
The reason I wanted to capture one long file was for archive purposes not for editing purposes. I need to take some of my DV tapes and transfer it onto my PC to put on either a CD or a DVD. I havn't decided which. So, as you can see, it would be a pain to have to sew together many 18 minute segments and then render back to avi. Thanks for the input!
Old December 4th, 2002, 09:09 AM   #363
Regular Crew

I see.
Really the best way to this is to use DV tape backup.
You have to use MPEG-2 to fit very much video on DVD media.
Or Hard drives are so cheap you can keep your individual projects in their own Hard drive and charge your client. I use removable drives and explain the choices that my client has for backup safety. With a price tag attached to each solution and explain the advantages/disadvantages. Most of my clients once explained are happy to pay the extra cost for back up. Most choose to back up on a hardrive and or DV tape.

Takes the pressure of me when the client understands and excepts the risks.

These are the choices I give to them.

Drive caddies
Standard DV
Mini DV
DVD
SVHS
VHS

Just some thoughts,
cheers
-Stable working systems motherboard configurations-
Old December 4th, 2002, 11:52 PM   #364
Major Player

Thanks Rick,
I have already considered all those options, and I had concluded that a HD would be the most practical way to store my DV and HDs are pretty cheap, but it was still too much to spend right now. I was looking for a 20 cent method (CDs) or a three dollar method (DVDs). In the near future, if quality and amount of video becomes an issue then I will buy a nice large HD to store my video on. But until then, I will keep using DVDs.

P.S. If anyone is into quality loss-less DVD or DVD-RW storage I found a great program. It is called Backup My PC made by STOMP. It allows you to seamlessly back up files, DV, or anything you want! It will write to one DVD and then when it runs out of room on that DVD it asks for a second and will continue writing to that second DVD, even if it is in the middle of the file. If you have info files (.doc, .exe, etc. etc.) it will compress them losing no quality. It can't do this for DV because it will lose quality. Then when you want to restore (a) file(s) to your HD from the DVDs just start up the Backup My PC software and select the files you want to restore and voila! Well anyways, the only downside to this method of storage is the time factor. It takes me an hour to burn one DVD where as if I was using a HD it would take 2 minutes. Sorry I wrote so long, if anyone wants to know more email me! scott-silverman@atttbi.com

Thanks for all your help!
Old December 6th, 2002, 06:59 AM   #365
Major Player

BackUpMyPC

Scott

Thanks for the BUMP recco. I've just installed the trial version and it looks like a great solution for project backups. Now, if you could just tell me where you get $3 DVD-R blanks! In Toronto the best I've done is CDN$9, which is about US$5.75.

David Hurdon

PS I tried emailing you first, but got it back undeliverable.
Old December 6th, 2002, 07:29 PM   #366
Major Player

Hi David,
I am glad you found that software to be useful. I thought it was a great solution for smaller amounts of storage. I get my $3 DVD-Rs at Fry's Electronics. They occasionallly go on sale for $2 there also. I am not sure if Fry's are located in Canada, but I doubt it. They do have a web site (www.outpost.com) but I don't know if they carry the same line of products there as in their store. Also, by the time you pay for shipping, it may not be much of a deal. One suggestion: check eBay. They often have good deals and if you are really into using DVD-Rs they have spools of 100 DVDs for a lot cheaper than buying just three.

Good luck!

P.S. I don't know why my email won't work. I checked my address in my profile and it is correct. Oh well, this works fine too!
Old December 9th, 2002, 05:50 AM   #367
Regular Crew

Inexpensive DVD stock can be had at Tigerdirect.com as well as numerous other outlets on the web
KennJ
Old December 10th, 2002, 03:04 PM   #368
New Boot

Premiere Playback and Export to tape Hiccup

I am having the exact same problem only I am running XP and Premiere 6.0. My system should be fine, it is Intel P4 1.7 Ghz with 512 RAM. I'm a little suspicious of only having little over 4 GBs of Hard drive space.

I've monitored the System manager to see if the processor or RAM max out during playback, and they don't.

It starts jumping at 4 minutes almost exactly just about every time. I have gone into the project settings and fiddled around with them. One time I turned the audio to 41000hz and it exported 10 minutes of the project before messing up.

I've looked and seen that my Firewire, video card and a couple other things are sharing IRQ 11. yet I don't know how to change the IRQ in XP. Plus I'm a little hesitant about doing that.

Even as I was editing the film in Premiere I have never been able to preview the video completely through. However if I simply click STOP and then PLAY again it works for another few minutes and starts spazzing out again...doing the same STOP PLAY has let me enjoy this very funny first project of mine...dispite the frustration.

If anyone knows an answer for XP please let me know. Thanks a lot!!!
Old December 11th, 2002, 06:46 AM   #369
RED Code Chef

I'm thinking these things:

1. fragmentation (defragment your harddisks)
2. DMA is disabled on your IDE controller. If you go
down to the device manager you can turn DMA on for
every IDE channel you have
3. By any chance you have your camera still connected?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old December 11th, 2002, 01:53 PM   #370
New Boot

continued problems

I thought defragmenting might be the answer also, but it did not fix the problem.

Then I went into the Device Manager and looked at the IDE primary and secondary channels and they are set to use DMA if available.

and to answer your last question the playback hiccups with or without my camera attached.
Old December 12th, 2002, 01:20 AM   #371
Regular Crew

Premiere Clip Length Issues

I have loaded as much as 1 hour and 45 minutes as one source into Premiere with no problems. The only issue that I have had with long source loads are that if the clip is longer than 55-60 minutes AND I try to use the flip down icon for an audio track, Premiere crashes EVERY time but NEVER for source runs under the above times. In other words, I can load long source clips with no problems for playback or cut & paste but NO rubber band adjustments even if the audio is razored (if razored I believe it is still seen as one clip). Does anybody know why this might be? I am using 5.1 RT so I don't know if this has been resolved with the latest version. I do agree with another poster. If you are cutting a project, load different clips seperately for space and performance reasons. If it's one big one and you need to dump pieces of it, you are screwed!
Old December 12th, 2002, 02:12 AM   #372
Major Player

James,
What OS do you use?

Thanks.
Old December 12th, 2002, 02:28 AM   #373
Regular Crew

OS

I use NT 4.0

Dual 600 megahertz PIII

512 megabytes RAM

2- 146 gig - 10K RPM SCSI 68 Pin Drives - striped
Old December 12th, 2002, 07:25 AM   #374
RED Code Chef

Well... since those things are all ruled out the last thing I'll point
my finger to is Windows XP. When it stutters does your harddisk
makes more noise then before it stuttured? I personally had some
troubles with performance issues under XP. If possible try Windows
2000 professional... Otherwise I am out of clues!

Old December 12th, 2002, 08:05 AM   #375
RED Code Chef

NT 4.0 for video work? Hmmm... never knew anyone actually did
that. I assume you are using NTFS? Tried running Premiere with
only CPU enabled?

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite