DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere discussions from 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/3541-adobe-premiere-discussions-2003-a.html)

Robert Poulton March 28th, 2003 07:15 PM

Bad port? Video card doesnt have the most updated drivers. Screensaver running?
I haven't had any problems with Premiere and my xl1s. Works all the time. I only have to make sure I have enough pretape to start capture.

Rob:D

Ron Johnson March 28th, 2003 10:22 PM

The problem is not a bad port or any other issue other than software. Perhaps it is only a problem for Win2k which is what I am using. Somewhere, I had run across a fix, which as I wrote earlier requires one to edit a system fiule of some kind. The reason I am seeking this out now is that I have had to re-laod Premiere for other reasons and the fix I had applied was reversed.

Sincerely,

Ron J.

P.S. The simplest work-around I found was to simply unplug the firewire connector and re-connect.

Rob Talley March 29th, 2003 07:04 AM

Try this setting

Ron and Keith,
You can try this setting. I had to go searching again for this after rebuilding my system. It did solve the issue with Premier loosing DV Control with my GL2

[DXMedia]
NonCompliant1394Capture=1

Hope this helps fix your capture issues. G'Luck
Cheers
Rob

Robert Poulton March 29th, 2003 11:22 AM

Its funny. So many people have so many problems with programs.
On my computer I am using now I have never had any problems.
Running solid for 3 yrs and left on.
What about just upgrading to XP.
It is by far the best OS that windows has come out with.
Oh you can also emulate an older OS in XP for your older programs.

Alex Taylor March 29th, 2003 12:25 PM

I've got a Canon ZR20 with Premiere 6.5 and WinXP with a Pyro BasicDV firewire card, no problems.

Ron Johnson March 29th, 2003 12:27 PM

Rob -

Thanks for your input - this is exactly what I was looking for.

I see this as more of an issue with how Premiere installs under Win2k. I am trying to limit my Micro$oft purchases and will likely switch to Apple/FCP in future.

Ron J.

K. Forman March 29th, 2003 12:32 PM

I never really had any problems with Premiere capturing from the XL1s or the GL1. I just prefer to use DV Storm. I also have Win2K. Many other problems... just not THAT one :)

Hans Henrik Bang March 29th, 2003 01:21 PM

Another option is using "Scenalyzer" to capture instead.

It will cut the individual scenes into separate .avi files based on timecode, optical recognition or whatever you want.

Registration fee is 20USD, and the best 20 bucks I ever spent.

www.scenalyzer.com

Hans Henrik

Robert Poulton March 29th, 2003 01:25 PM

My dad had a faster computer than mine and it had win2k on it.
It sucked crap until he upgraded it. I mean the computer was just not usable.
Well if you dont want to spend money then you might not want to change to mac. Talk about expensive.
Its like you pay for a good machine just 3x what it is worth.
To bad I think they have done a great job with macs and I would love to own one, but crap I rather have more tools and fun with PC than 1 tool and some fun with a mac.
Steve Jobs, Please just drop the price, I still want one.

My computer is dual 650Mhz, 512 RAM, ATI Radeon 8500 128mb, 2x20G and 2x120G HDs. One of the 120G HD is external Firewire from Lacie.
I have always had my computers made from this one guy for years. Nothing like a lifetime warrantee on the computer.
Im just lucky I guess.

Chris Fangio March 29th, 2003 03:59 PM

I love Mac computers. I own two Mac computers (G4 and iBook). And I always hatetd those PCs. But with tears in my eyes I have to say: a Mac is definetely not worth the extra money. Modern PCs are twice as fast, run very stable (I do a lot of heavy compositing with After Effects and Combustion in Win XP) and are easy to handle. Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro are wonderful programs, but there's no good mpeg encoder for the Mac so you simply cannot produce higher quality DVDs on the Mac without using a PC for encoding. Less problems with hardware, more problems with non-available software. A Mac is not the definite solution anymore.

Chris

Rob Talley March 29th, 2003 06:11 PM

Ron,
Hope that it does the trick for you.
Premier can be challenging. Sometimes you need the settings,
obviously sometimes you don't.

My W2KP required the PreferDSCodecs=1 setting too to get the MainConcept MPEG encoder to work without crashing Premier.
Some folks never needed it under W2KP. Go figure.

Another useful one was the:
[DXMedia]
FastPreviewWhileTransmitting=1

On my particular hardware, Premier would prefer the Firewire output when the cam was plugged in. Great output via firewire but the Monitor window was blocky, like it was placed at low priority for updating. Put this little gem in and get great Monitor behaviour and FW output to boot. Kinda makes ya wonder what other magical incantations and spells can be cast within the Prem60.ini file :-)

I'll definately second Hans' tip on Scenalyzer. Been using it for sometime and for the price, it's worth adding it to your toolbox.
It also has a cool feature that I've been playing with lately where you can have SCLive put your AVI files onto your DV Tape including the scene info and filename/path data. It's not supported on all DV cams/decks but it works on the GL2 at least. You want the stuff back, just drop it in and it all gets put back where it was, filenames, timestamps, etc. Cool little tool. There's an update due out next week that addresses an annoying issue with some systems and at least the GL2. Look for the March build to show up soon on thier website. Not associated, just a happy customer.

Cheers,
Rob

Alex Taylor March 31st, 2003 09:35 AM

Premiere 6.5 comes out of sync

I'm editing a wedding right now, and plus a few other smaller files I have two 8 gig captures from the two cameras I had set up in the cathedral. When I'm editing, everything will be fine for a few minutes, but after a while the video will come out of sync with the audio. This is only in Premiere, however; I tried playing the 8gig file in WiMP and it's fine. I exported a small section of the timeline where I thought it was out of sync, but it's not the case.

Since it's obviously not really out of sync, it's not that big a deal, but it's very annoying sometimes. What could cause this? Since the minister did more talking than he deserved do I've been doing a lot of shuttling fast-forwards to find my next edit point, could that be it? I'm running:

WinXP
Premiere 6.5
500MHz P3 (yeah, it sucks!)
384MB RAM
Video: 40gig 7200rpm
Program: 13gig 5400

Robert Joyce March 31st, 2003 07:31 PM

I had the same problem BUT DONT WORRY! when you render your timeline to avi or whatever your rendering to the audio will come back into sync. Its just on the timeline that it does that for some reason sometimes.
-Robert

Alex Taylor March 31st, 2003 08:08 PM

That's what I assumed.. it's just another annoyance!

It's especially annoying sometimes because I'm editing a part right now where they're singing a hymn. I'm using the audio from one camera and the video from another so I have to sync up the shots where you can see mouths moving. Syncing something that's already out of sync with an out of sync timeline is very confusing :P

Anyways, thanks for reassuring me! I guess I'll just put up with it.

Lars Siden April 3rd, 2003 06:46 AM

accelerate / deaccelerate video in Premiere 6.5 is it possible?

Hi,

I'd like to slow down and then speed up a clip that I have. I want the speed change to come gradually over an amount of time, is this possible? Preferably controlled by rubberbands.

I don't have After Effects ( and I doubt my budget ever will let me have it ;-)

If it can't be done in Premiere, are there any other tools that I can use? ( that are within my thin wallet budget ;-)

Brgds,

Lazze

Ed Smith April 3rd, 2003 09:23 AM

The only way that I can think of how to do it is to splice the video into sections and give each section a slightly different speed than the other. I hope Adobe put this feature in version 7.

All the best swedish friend,

Ed Smith

Alex Taylor April 3rd, 2003 09:47 AM

Ed is right, that's the only way you can do it in Premiere. It's kind of time-consuming but it would work. In After Effects they have a 'time ramp' feature that does just that.

Lars Siden April 3rd, 2003 12:35 PM

Hi,

I friend of mine got his NLE kit today ( firewire card bundled with some software ) one of the programs was some sort of "light" Vegas Video. However - I was VERY impressed by Vegas.

Ramping was done in a sec.... the whole program is much more responsive and modern than Premiere 6.5... AND it could split captured video into clips ( from my XM-2 ).

Right now I'm thinking of a purchase of Vegas 4...

// Lazze

Robert Poulton April 3rd, 2003 01:51 PM

Well you can do it in premiere. Rate strech tool. (P)
Just select the tool then select a edge of a clip and slide down the timeline.

Simple

Christopher Hughes April 3rd, 2003 03:07 PM

FRAME MODE in PREMIERE 6.5

Anyone out there that uses Premiere 6.5 with tapes recorded in XL1s frame mode or frame mode on another camera. What special tweeks or things do I need to adjust or tweek to get it geared up for frame mode export? Or can you just capture and then export selecting deinterlaced?

How and what do I need to do? Can anyone out there give me some good pointers?

Ed Smith April 4th, 2003 03:25 AM

Cool, I had not seen that tool before. But you still need to splice the video into sections to get a ramp effect.

All the best,

Ed Smith

Rob Lohman April 4th, 2003 09:32 AM

You don't have to set any options when importing or exporting.
When you load the approriate DV template all is done for you!

Jonny Throop April 7th, 2003 03:17 PM

Problem exporting as a WMV in premiere 6.5

In premiere 6.5 when I try to export my movie as a WMV file I get a "Missing Codec" error in the program. There is probably a very simple solution for this problem. Could someone please lend a helping hand with a step by step to fixing this?

I have been doing File-Export timeline-Advanced windows media... then If I choose any of the following WMVs I get the missing codec error. Thanks In advance

Jonny Throop

jthroop@adelphia.net

K. Forman April 7th, 2003 05:04 PM

There are actually two answers-
Reinstall the windows media codec, or go to microsoft, and download the windows media encoder. It's free, and does a better job than Premiere does. There are also frontend prgrams that make the encoding much easier.

Jonny Throop April 7th, 2003 06:47 PM

I dont think the problem exists in the player. I just can't export it correctly in premiere. Is there some place where I am supposed to select a codec to use when exporting as a WMV?

K. Forman April 8th, 2003 05:51 AM

windows media is the codec. It has nothing to do with the player, until you try to watch it. Try to reinstall the codec for it, and if that fails, reinstall Premiere. Or, just download the windows media encoder 8 from microsoft.

Lars Siden April 9th, 2003 12:44 PM

Hi,

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp

There you can select "windows media encoder" in the dropdown box - I use version 9 myself, works like a charm

Takes a while to convert an AVI - it is a 2 pass process.

// Lazze

MarkinVideo April 14th, 2003 06:43 PM

Premiere 7.0

I saw last week at NAB a demo of 7.0 - wow, what an awesome upgrade - from what i could tell it answers almost all complaints of past reviews (ie. DV magazine's review of 6.5). the problem is that Adobe wasn't prepard to announce a release date. does anyone have any clues?

Jason Balich April 17th, 2003 12:19 PM

Premiere Capture Problem

Here we go!

Im shooting as much as possible getting to know this beauty of a camera. Just installed Premiere 6.0 and got the video to show with a 640 X 480 Frame size setting and Frame Rate of 29.97. The problem is that it crashes Prem constantly as im controlling the camera. Also, half the time it doesnt even show the video in the movie capture window but it does in the view finder on the camera, whats up with this?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ken Tanaka April 17th, 2003 12:28 PM

Are you using a Mac or PC?

Jason Balich April 17th, 2003 12:43 PM

I have a PC running win 2000 professional - Dual 1.8, gig of Ram

I'm thinking of getting a copy of 6.5 update to premeire.

IS there a technique I should apply to capturing video? Like, having the camera turned to Play(VCR) at the time of loading premiere? I think i might of turned the camera on after.

Can this be a problem also? Are there video capture drivers I should consider instaling also? Im new to the capture game on PC's and getting it solid for transfer.

Garret Ambrosio April 17th, 2003 03:36 PM

There is no technique to get the software to recognize your camera. As long as you have the OHCI compliant 1394 Drivers installed and your 1394 card is OHCI compliant. Put the camera on VTR mode and it will be instantly recognized by the system when you you go into capture video in Premiere.

Robert Knecht Schmidt April 17th, 2003 06:12 PM

Adobe tends to be quite faithful to their release date promises, so at least you know that when they name a date, they mean it. The product will ship, bugs and all!

Kenn Jolemore April 18th, 2003 03:09 PM

Adobe has alot of good info at their site. Also there is a good board and knowledge base there to use that will help answer alot of the questions people always have when they are starting out with premiere. Registration is free and easy and well worth doing. Helpped me a bunch and I still find myself there once in awhile.http://studio.adobe.com/learn/tips/index.html?product=premiere&topic=video_editing

KennJ

Macauley Peterson April 18th, 2003 05:36 PM

Premiere 6 Project Trimmer ignores filters

Just an observation from my first foray into the world of the Premiere Project Trimmer:

In the trimmed project, all your audio and video filters are ignored. Strangely, they're still there, as in, they come over from the original project, and appear in the effects window, but Premiere will ignore them when previewing from the timeline.

You have to trash and reapply the filters to get the effects back. Simply disabling and re-enabling isn't enough. Annoying!

Tip: Be careful about filter order in the effects window! E.g. A clip followed by a horizontal flip is different that a horizontal flip followed by a clip.

Alex Taylor April 18th, 2003 05:44 PM

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that.

James Emory April 18th, 2003 07:20 PM

Missing Codec Issue

I have encountered the same issue with Premiere 6.5 displaying "missing codec" or just crashing when I try to export using custom settings. I just got my 6.5 upgrade today and the crap has already started. Check out this link on the Adobe site and once there, check the appropriate search bubble to narrow it down and then enter missing codec in the field. Look for message #17 for a possible patch link. I tried it and it didn't work. The encoder worked fine with their FREE 6.0 limited download tryout but not with their full purchased version. I'm going to call Adobe at the beginning of the week to find out what the hell is going on.

Adobe Forum Link:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/w...Mtq.1@.ee6b372

Jason Balich April 19th, 2003 10:38 AM

thanks for the adobe site tip

THanks guys! Now it is time to find a partner to film with in Toronto to work on my 2nd Demo reel.

Dale C. Elliott April 20th, 2003 05:34 AM

Hi Jason,

If you can, upgrade to 6.5, it will eliminate some problems you may have.

James Emory April 21st, 2003 12:15 PM

WME Patch

I found out why the patch link in my above post didn't work. Apparently, it was not an .exe file upon download and I had to just click on it activate it. After I did that, encoding now functions properly in Premiere. I just got off of the phone with Adobe tech support and the tech sent me a direct link from the Microsoft site that is the .exe patch. So, this should fix your problem. Apparently it is a fix for Service Pack 1 in XP.

The .exe patch:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...S/wmfdist2.exe