DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere discussions from 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/3541-adobe-premiere-discussions-2003-a.html)

Glen Elliott May 29th, 2003 08:54 AM

Deleting corrupted preference file in Premiere?

My Premiere has been acting oddly lately- and it seems like it started after I started messing with the audio mixer. The bug acts like this- when I highlight the timeline and hit the space bar to play, I hear no sound. I notice in the history palette that the audio mixer is the last action taken (even though it's not...the audio mixer isn't even open) when I hit the space bar again to stop the play head, the audio mixer in the history palette dissapears. Could this be caused by a corrupted preference file, because it was fine before I opened and worked with the audio mixer a few weeks ago. Can this be remedied similar to in Photohsop by simply deleting the preference file then running Premiere again? And, lastly, which file in the Premiere directory is the preference file? Thanks in advance.

Nigel Moore May 29th, 2003 09:51 AM

The prefs file is probably not in the Premiere directory. I'm not at my Premiere PC right now, but the path to my GoLive prefs file is:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe GoLive

The prefs file has a key icon and a PICSRules File type. Instead of trashing it, either rename it or move it to the desktop. When you restart Premiere it will create a new prefs file. See if that fixes things. If not, you still have all your earlier settings to hand.

Glen Elliott May 29th, 2003 10:28 AM

Nigel, is that the path via an XP machine? I do run XP, I just figured I'd ask because when I used to run 98SE all Adobe files were available via: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere

Nigel Moore May 29th, 2003 11:49 AM

It's W2K, but I can't imagine that XP is vastly different. Following the path in Windows Explorer and see if it's there. I vaguely recall that W9x stores prefs in the application directory, but they're generally in the User settings folder under NT.

Paul Tauger May 29th, 2003 12:01 PM

On my XP machine, the prefs file is located here:

c:\Documents and Settings\Paul Tauger\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere

Glen Elliott May 29th, 2003 12:01 PM

If my memory serves me correct you can clear/reset the preference file by loading Premiere while holding CTRL+SHIFT. Is this true?

David DiCanio May 29th, 2003 05:25 PM

Changing headroom on shot in Premiere

Let me try to put into words what I am trying to do. I'm am wanting to create a pseudo widescreen look in premiere 6.5 with the titler by placing thin black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. The problem is that on one of the interviews I did, I failed to leave enough headroom to place the black bar- and so the guys head gets cut off. I've been experimenting with the "transform" section of the video palette (i.e. camera view, horizontal flip, roll, clip, etc). What I can't seem to do is create something like the "roll" effect, but that it would rather permit me to roll the entire screen down only about 2 inches and hold it there, and then later cover that two inch gap at the top with the black bar from the titler. Is that clear? Can anyone help me with this? Is there anything I can do? Thanks

David DiCanio May 29th, 2003 09:03 PM

I figured it out - thanks

I'm going to answer myself on this one because I think that this is
a pretty important issue. I don't know about anyone else but this
issue has been greatly troubling me. So I hope this helps anyone
who reads it, because I remember a discussion about doing a
pseudo widescreen look in post by using the premiere titler to mask the top
and bottom of the screen. I found however, that as cool as that
looked, some of the head room I shot was too tight to mask, and the
head got cut off. So maybe I'm just an idiot and everyone already
knows how to correct that problem, but after much research and
struggling, I figured it out, and it works great and is saving my
little neck because I had some shots I wanted to use, but had shot
prior to realizing that a widescreen look could be done in post.

I created a picture-in-picture (PIP) effect by placing the
background video in V1 and a copy in V2. I right clicked on the V2
video and selected "video option" then "motion." I dragged the
frame down a few inches (in "distortion"), and set both the start
and end keyframes identically to keep the video still throughout the
entire effect - and it worked. I don't know if I really need V1 &
V2, but that's the instructions I read somewhere for a similar
effect.

So if you've shot tons of video with tight headroom, and want to do
a widescreen look in post production, here is the way to solve the
problema!

Ed Smith May 30th, 2003 05:33 AM

That is true. Everything in premiere will be re-set to how it was when you first installed it. So you will have to locate all projects again i.e. it clears recent files etc

All the best,

Ed Smith

Rob Lohman May 30th, 2003 06:02 AM

A re-install might help as well. Also non playing sound etc. might
also be due to external factors (like a missing audio codec,
corrupt one or incompatible codecs installed).

Rob Lohman May 30th, 2003 06:21 AM

Good that it works Daniel. Perhaps newer cards have less
trouble with video on another monitor.

Rob Lohman May 30th, 2003 06:37 AM

Such a thing does exist but they are integrated into the base
of Windows. So you will not have an option to point them out
(basically). Only way that I know off to get those back is to
re-install XP and don't install those other drivers. Sorry.

If I remember correctly Texas Instrument drivers are not
compatible indeed with all the applications out there that
support Microsoft's driver. Get rid of it!

Glen Elliott May 30th, 2003 08:15 AM

Ed, yeah I did it last night and it worked- hehe, I even had to re-choose A/B workspace again. I was a bit startled at first when I clicked to open recent projects and none of them were there. At first I opened them from the "project archive" in the Premiere folder but it had a bizzare name like "wedding~1" thru "wedding~4". I then realized the location I should have pointed Premiere to was the video drive...it saves my project files in the same place it captures my clips to. So what is the "project archive" for?...To go back to an earlier saved version of the project?

Rob, I think my audio problem stems from the fact I use Premiere with hardware support via Pinnacle's DV500. I found an exerpt in the knowledge base on Adobe's website that stated the Audio Mixer doesn't work when using the DV500. And now that I think of it- that odd glitch (with the audio mixer loading in the history palette when playing clips on the timeline, w/no sound) started after I tried using the audio mixer.
Now I'm really starting to wonder if the DV500 is really worth it. After all it's not even a full-time real-time card. I'll just miss the break-out-box which allows me to monitor my edits on a television.
With Premiere 6.5 can you output the timeline via firewire to a mini-dv cam and then to the TV to acheive the same result?

Rob Lohman May 30th, 2003 08:20 AM

I don't believe you will need a copy of the track to set motion
for it. Keep in mind that you might need to razor the clip if you
only want a certain part changed (unless you have individual
clips for each take/scene).

Thanks for the tip though! I myself was using After Effects for
this on some tests I did. Couldn't find an easy way in Premiere.
I am using a bitmap mask for the widescreen effect, not the titler.

Rob Lohman May 30th, 2003 08:24 AM

Premiere 6.x can indeed do that. I don't know if performance
is good when going through your cam, try it out!

Glen Elliott May 30th, 2003 08:36 AM

What do you mean by the performance being bad going through the camera?
How else are we to monitor the video- using a computer monitor is so innacurate! ugh
I know I could use a professional NTSC monitor but wouldn't I have to connect it in a similar way or do those monitors have IEEE input. What's a round-about price for a decent 12" NTSC editing monitor?

Rob Lohman May 30th, 2003 08:51 AM

I had performance problems in the updating of my video window
on the computer self when my camera was hooked up. Also
Premiere seemed to be a bit "slower" in operation.

Perhaps a Digital->Analog converter would be faster, or a
firewire card with analog out.

Ed Smith May 30th, 2003 09:55 AM

All you need is to place the video in Video track 1 and the wide screen mask in track 2 then apply a transform filter (found in the Distort folder, I think) to the video in track 1 and move the position down slightly in the monitor window. This way you do not have to worry about matching the first and last frame in the motion editor.

thanks,

Ed Smith

Glen Elliott May 30th, 2003 10:15 AM

I have a capture card with analog out but am unhappy with the apparent instability it (the DV500) adds to an already somewhat moody program to begin with. Why couldn't Premiere be as rock-solid as Photoshop! lol

Anyway- do they make standard capture cards with analog out without without it being tied into drivers that intigrate with Premiere like Pinnacle's DV500 does?

Kevin Foristal May 31st, 2003 07:45 AM

I want to go to dual monitors. Can you guys recommend a good agp vid card? I have an Nvidia Geforce4 with s-out. I take it I need a dual head vga out card of some sort?

Charles King May 31st, 2003 08:47 AM

Go for the Matrox G550 card or if you can afford it, then the Matrox 750 will be your best bet. It supports three monitors or dual monitor plus a tv/monitor out so you can view your previews, all from one card.

Adrian Douglas May 31st, 2003 09:22 PM

A couple of ponts to remember when buyng cards is be sure that the card you want to buy is compatable with your other hardware, like capture card, sound card etc.

The other point is that for a video system you don't need huge amounts of video RAM, a 32MB card is enough as long as you don't plan on doing 3D modeling or gaming on the system as well.

Rob Lohman June 2nd, 2003 09:48 AM

I do think that most cards with analog in/out have special drivers
and such. Don't think there exists one without. But, I might be
wrong on this.

Seth Peterson June 2nd, 2003 11:24 PM

XP service packs 1 & 2. Conflicts with Premiere 6.5?

I've got a Dell with XP pro. I haven't d/l the two service packs put out since my purchase because I'm wondering if there are any problems with the upgrade upsetting Premiere. I only say this because I have 1 trillion hours of edits and projects. If anybody has heard of anything or installed the service packs let me know. By the way, my version of XP is the one that doesn't have power point.

Glen Elliott June 3rd, 2003 04:49 AM

Well I don't know if this is a help but I run Premiere 6.02 on XP and I've downloaded all service packs.......no problems here.

Kevin Foristal June 3rd, 2003 07:07 AM

Running 6.5 W/ All service packs....no probs.

Jan Roovers June 3rd, 2003 07:24 AM

no problems here

Adrian Douglas June 3rd, 2003 10:50 AM

Why do you want to download the service packs? SP1 was nothing but trouble and SP2 hasn't been out that long. If you are not having problems with your OS then I wouldn't bother with the SPs

Nigel Moore June 3rd, 2003 11:03 AM

The importance in SPs is greater if your PC's used to access the Internet. The SPs include all the current fixes to M$'s OS, which normally leaks security like a seive. Added to the fact that Windows is the hackers favourite target. If the PC is not net connected, SPs are generally of lower value.
Quote:

my version of XP is the one that doesn't have power point
Perhaps I'm being thick here, but all versions of Windows come without PowerPoint.

Adrian Douglas June 3rd, 2003 11:10 AM

Nigel,

If your using Windows and are connect to the net then you are exposing your files no matter what SP you have. Unless you are hiding behind a combination of hardware and software firewalls then your at risk. Simply cruising pages opens your machine to exploitation. SP1 caused more problems that it caused, if your worried about security then dl the individual security hotfixes.

Nigel Moore June 3rd, 2003 12:22 PM

I do use a dedicated firewall server. But thanks for the general advice to all.

I'm a bit worried about your statement on SP1, however. Although I don't currently use XP, I have just bought it for the dedicated edit box that I'm building (required for EncoreDVD). Unfortunately, my version proudly proclaims that it includes SP1!

Imran Zaidi June 3rd, 2003 12:43 PM

If you have a CD that claims to have SP1 included, then you can rest assured that it will be fine.

The problems with SP1 was when it first came out and it was being installed as an upgrade. MS has since fixed all the weird bugaboos with that service pack, and you should be fine.

Nigel Moore June 3rd, 2003 01:59 PM

Cheers, Imran. That's reassuring to know! :-)

Adrian Douglas June 3rd, 2003 08:45 PM

SP 1 had a bunch of minor issues plus a major one with the Java Virtual Machine. It was corrected for the SP1 CD Release of XP as Imran said but the DL SP was shocking.

Bill Ravens June 4th, 2003 07:27 AM

Not sure you guys know what you're talking about. Windoze XP has only released sp1. There's a leaked version of the beta sp2 available on the net, but, one would have to be crazy to use beta leaked software from M$.

Imran Zaidi June 4th, 2003 07:40 AM

Yes, never EVER use anything beta on a serious workstation, and definitely never use a beta from Microsoft.

Alex Taylor June 5th, 2003 08:36 PM

I'll bring this post up one more time..

I think the problem may be my camera. I went over with my hard drive and tried it on a friend's computer, and my camera didn't recognize. Theirs, however, worked fine (they have a Panasonic DV200 or something, I have a Canon ZR20). I should have expected something like this; I lent my camera to my friend a few weeks ago, and he said that when he connected the camera to his G4 it would freeze up.

Is this sort of problem fixable? I believe the camera is still under warranty..

As soon as I can, I'm going to borrow my friend's camera and try it on my firewire card to make sure it's my camera.

Rob Lohman June 6th, 2003 07:21 AM

If you isolate the problem to your camera I would send it in
(before the warranty expires) to have it fixed. It should work
ofcourse. If it doesn't work on 3 differenct computers something
must be faulty. Did you try different cables? If not your cable
might be culprit as well.

Walter Chang June 6th, 2003 03:53 PM

Premiere Problems

For some reason when I try to load up premiere it starts quitting on me while its loading. This just started happening today when i've been using it for quite a while now. I tried reinstalling again but the same thing is occuring. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It seems to be now quitting when it reaches eps importer

Keith Loh June 6th, 2003 04:15 PM

Sounds like corrupted elements. If it is in the plugins, remove the plugins directory temporarily and then start it up. Then put them in one by one to narrow it down. Or if you don't have the time, reinstall the whole thing.