DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere discussions from 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/3541-adobe-premiere-discussions-2003-a.html)

Harry Doyle June 17th, 2003 01:23 PM

this is exactly what happens to me and i employ the same resolution. i use the camera's remote controls because i find them more natural to use than premiere's controls.

i'm now using scenalyzer, which is great because it doesn't tear up my heads, but i end up with 400 odd clips per tape and going through them to find the landed tricks isn't that fun.

i wonder if anybody else has this problem or we have bum gl2's or setups..

harry

Jim Ioannidis June 17th, 2003 01:28 PM

Re: gl2 and premiere 6.5 questions

<<<-- Originally posted by Harry Doyle :
when i'm capturing clips from the gl2, the capture screen in premiere will suddenly turn black after capturing perhaps 4-5 clips, and even though i can still control the deck, i cannot see or capture footage onto the computer. i am using a pyro 1394 card, and have a 60gb firewire drive (not in use) on one port, and the camera on the other. any suggestions? i was using premiere 6.5 on a dell inspiron and a single chip panny last year with no problems. -->>>

I get this problem sometimes too.
Usually happens when i'll be doing things like stoping, rewinding, and playing the camera....sometimes the screen just doesn't come back.
what I do is click on the settings tab and hit the Edit button under Capture settings. When the project settings window opens I don't change anything I just click OK and hit Play again and the screen comes back.

Aaron Koolen June 17th, 2003 04:08 PM

Gerald, I'm not sure how Premiere works, but other NLE's will only show you a line doubled version on the preview window. That means you'll be seeing every odd line, twice (Maybe every even one if they chose to do it that way). So in effect, the interlacing will disappear. But, the actual file data is still interleced, like DV should be, and when played through a real player you will see this.

Cheers
Aaron

Jean King June 18th, 2003 09:40 AM

Drop shadow effect in Premiere

Hello!
I am having a problem applying a drop shadow effect in Premiere.
When using the Effect Controls, I adjust the "distance," which affects how far the shadow is from the actual image. When I do this however, I end up shifting the entire frame of an underlying layer, somehow...I really don't understand what is going on, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!
Jerol King

Jean King June 18th, 2003 02:45 PM

Drop shadow effect in Adobe Premiere

I thought I'd try reposting my question, since I think it is explained a little better below. This question pertains to a drop shadow effect I am trying to accomplish using Adobe Premiere.

Background info:
I first created three layers
First: A black and white matte (with a black circle on white background)
This was put on video 4 track

Second: A color matte of a solid light blue color. This was put on video 3 track

Third: The orginal motion clip, of some parakeets. (this was put on video 2 track)

I applied a track matte transparency to the video 3 track.
The results are SO FAR what I want:
I have successfully made the clip of the birds only fill the black portion of the matte (the circle) and the rest is the light blue fill color.

However, this is where I'm stumped:
I would like to apply a drop shadow effect (from the video effects) around the parakeets (or the circle), NOT the blue color matte frame.
I've tried everything under the sun, including adding 3D effects, transform, etc. Whatever I have tried has only managed to put a shadow around the color matte, and not the parakeets (which are now only transparent within the circle)

If I am not stating clearly the problem, just let me know and perhaps I can upload some pics....

Thanks a bunch
Jerol

Mike Morrell June 21st, 2003 05:27 AM

Anamorphic (DVX100) editing with Matrox RTX100 and Premiere

I've shot some DV NTSC footage with my anamorphic (16x9) lens. Now, how to I edit in premiere. I cannot find a capture setting in matrox or Premiere that allows the pixel aspect ratio to be adjusted to 1.2. I can set my project settings as 1.2, but all of my clips say that they are .9 aspect.

If my final output will be anamorphic DVD, does it matter what my pixel ratio my clips are captured at and what pixel ratio I'm editing in? On my (4x3) NTSC monitor that I use with my NLE, I'd rather see the correct aspect ratio with letterboxing, but when I set my project to 1.2, the picture is still tall and thin.

Are there any procedures for widescreen DV 1.2 pixel aspect ratios capturng and editing with matrox and premiere?

Tor Salomonsen June 22nd, 2003 05:56 AM

Don't know Premiere, being a Vegas user.
But I thought I'd mention that when you want to bounce your post (which in my opinion is perfectly OK, especially with a pertinent question like yours, and over the weekend, when so many people are away from their usual screens) it would be tidyer to reply to your own question instead of posting it as a new thread.
Anyway, this little bit of tut tut ought at least to save you from doing it this time around.

Kevin Foristal June 22nd, 2003 07:58 AM

I thought I saw a trick similiar to this explained over at
www.wrigleyvideo.com

Tristan Smith June 22nd, 2003 02:36 PM

compression premiere 6.5

I collect programs and im using premiere and im having problems compressing even the smallest video. I took a raw 10 secound clip and tryed compressing without losing its quality and the file is still high. its about 4mb for something soo small. any advice? i use .mov format. i dont like mpeg.

Elmar Tewes June 22nd, 2003 04:35 PM

well compressing without losing quality is quite unpossible. you could try a mped conform file that will end with about 4gb at 90 minutes with a quality that isn't far away from the original or create a small or very small one, it depends on what you wanna do with the file. for the internet ? for dvd ? just for you on the local pc ?
you need to try it with the premiere 6.5 included export until you have a nice one.
when it is for internet, try something with quicktime. since premiere 6 there isn't included cleaner ez in premiere :-/ it had some very smart export options

Bryan Roberts June 23rd, 2003 06:55 PM

Premiere 6.5 quick problem, need help asap

I'm trying to do a quick final cut of a short that's due tommorow morning and for some reason, I can't get my ripple edit to work when shortening a clip. The arrow only lets me lengthen a clip rather than shorten it. The clip is maybe 5 seconds and I needed to trim it to 3 seconds but the ripple only lets me extend. Ripple delete gives me an error beep. I can only ripple delete even certain empty spaces and not others!. The track lock is turned off etc. Someone help me fast! Thanks!

-Bryan.

Bryan Roberts June 24th, 2003 03:48 PM

Nevermind, I figured it out. Premiere was getting freaked out by a long mp3 song I had playing in the background along with other background sounds like traffic etc.. This for some reason made the ripple tools not work but once I removed the song and frivalous sounds, all was back to normal. Just something to keep in mind if you ever run across this problem with your own projects later on! -Bryan.

Scott Silverman June 25th, 2003 12:07 AM

Weird 16:9 Rendering in Premiere 6.0

Hi,
I have a problem with premiere and it rendering my video I shot in the electronic 16:9 mode on my GL2. For the project settings I chose the normal NTSC 4:3. Then I imported my video and set the pixels to widescreen 16:9 (Right Click>Advanced Options>Pixel Aspect Ratio...) Then I did a right click on the same video and told it to maintain the aspect ratio (Right Click>Video Options>Maintain Aspect Ratio). Then the letterboxes show up on the screen, and here is the weird part. When not rendered, the video looks fine and seems to be in 16:9 ratio. However, when rendered (exported or Scrubbed) it seems to become distorted. The letter boxes get smaller, thus streching my video. I have two sample screen shots here:
http://www.shiningstardv.com/premierehelp.htm

Please tell me why this is happening and how I can fix it! Thanks so much!!

PS - I am seriously considering upgrading to Avid Xpress DV.

John Morris June 25th, 2003 12:26 AM

Premier 6.5 compatible w/XL1s?

Adobe site states 6.x is conditionally supported for the XL1 but has a long list of buggy operation.

I'm trying to find a turnkey NLE sys w/ an editing program that works best w/ the XL1s.

Don Berube June 25th, 2003 01:08 AM

http://www.apple.com/powermac
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro
http://aja.com/io.htm
http://www.apple.com/displays/acd23
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10065

http://www.apple.com/software/pro/film_tv
http://www.apple.com/software/pro/broadcast

Awwww yeahhhhh

- don

Nigel Moore June 25th, 2003 02:13 AM

Don,

Considering the subforum where this request was placed ("Non-linear Editing on the PC") that was a particularly unhelpful response. It doesn't give a good impression to someone for whom this was their first post!

I guess if John was interested in a Mac solution he would've posted in the "Non-linear Editing on the Mac" subforum. In which case, your response would've bee totally appropriate.

Nigel Moore June 25th, 2003 02:23 AM

John,

Do you already have an NLE/Premiere system and want it to work with your XL1s, or are you starting from scratch? You'll find that a lot of folks around here actually use a tape deck or cheaper cam to get their footage onto their PC/Mac, to save wear and tear on the XL1s heads.

Personally, I use my old Sony PC-100, which doubles up as a convenient (and relatively 'disposable') holiday cam, to get footage into Premiere. Support for this cam is not conditional AFAIK.

I have also in the past got footage directly from my XL1s into Premiere, using full deck control from within the application. I'm not sure what Adobe mean by "conditional support". Where is this "long list of buggy operation"?

Don Berube June 25th, 2003 02:39 AM

Very true. My apologies for jumping the gun on that one, it was late in the wee hours of the morning when I posted that and I hadn't actually realized it was a PC-based question!

If you must edit video on a PC and desire a turnkey-style solution, check out the following:
http://www.canopus.com/US/products/res/pm_res.asp

http://www.promax.com/Systems/action...&OS=PC&-Search

http://www.lairdtelemedia.com/produc...preconfig.html

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPa...90&Langue_ID=7

Please do chime in on any PC system worthy of mentioning,

- don

Ed Smith June 25th, 2003 04:57 AM

And,

www.matrox.com/video

Go for the RTX 100 or above.

I've had no problems with my XL1 under Premiere 6 and 6.5

cheers,

Ed

Nigel Moore June 25th, 2003 05:24 AM

Alienware have a pretty good rep, but I tend to build my own NLE edit boxes rather than buying turnkey, so I don't have personal experience.

Michael McConnell June 25th, 2003 07:13 AM

premeir problem/need help fast

What do the optimal setting on premier 6.5 need to be so that it can play clear for web broadcasting in real player?

Andrew Ward June 25th, 2003 03:47 PM

Premiere 6.5 Audio Stutters in previews ...

When the project type is DV with real-time preview.

BUT, when the project type is DV *without* Real-Time preview, The audio is FINE!

When I assemble a complete project and produce a final file in prep for burning a DVD, the DV with Real-time preview is FINE. It just makes it very difficult to edit this way.

I tried turning OFF the real-time preview in the options settings and the result is the problem is STILL present.

If there is not a clear simple soluton, how can I export all my clips and edits & transitions so that I can suck it into a NEW project configged as DV w/out real-time preview?

Thanks... It's been over 7 years since I last used Premiere intensively.

-Andrew

Michael McConnell June 25th, 2003 07:08 PM

What are the best Adobe Premiere settings for RealVideo delivery?

What do the optimal settings on Premiere 6.5 need to be so that it can play clear for web broadcasting in RealPlayer?

Adrian Douglas June 25th, 2003 10:13 PM

Use the Cleaner EZ wizard. You can get close and then try a few different settings.

James Emory June 26th, 2003 01:15 AM

Playback stutter

Try going to project settings and go into playback options. Once there, uncheck playback to camera/vtr and it should default to internal playback.

Robert Poulton June 26th, 2003 03:47 PM

do you happen to have an external device plugged into the computer via the firewire?

Rob:D

Michael McConnell June 26th, 2003 05:50 PM

from what i heard

From what I understand the ez cleaner is only for final cut pro/apple. Is there another program that will help me get good internet broadcast quality that is compatiable with adobe premeir?

Andrew Ward June 26th, 2003 08:45 PM

I had a camera plugged in, but it is turned OFF. I also tried it un-plugged totally. No effect.

Adrian Douglas June 26th, 2003 11:22 PM

There's a version that comes with and is installed with Premiere. Try FILE > EXPORT TIMELINE > SAVE FOR WEB. This should launch the cleaqner program and you can follow the wizard from there.

Andrew Ward June 27th, 2003 07:21 AM

Re: Playback stutter

<<<-- Originally posted by James Emory : Try going to project settings and go into playback options. Once there, uncheck playback to camera/vtr and it should default to internal playback. -->>>

OK Tried this...no effect. Problem still remains.

Thanks... Any more suggestions?

Jesper Hallen June 28th, 2003 02:11 PM

Premiere problem

I have one very annoying problem with my Premiere. Sometimes when I'm open up a saved project it is destroyed, the timeline is empty and in the list of imported files (at the left usually) it's only files named "-1". Does anyone know what this is??

Michael McConnell June 29th, 2003 05:40 PM

got it

Thanks for advice---all cleared up--found it

Daniel Gee June 30th, 2003 12:05 AM

Scott,

Check this plugin out:
http://www.mykaskin.freeserve.co.uk/myksvideopages/plugins.html

I also had a problem using electronic 16:9 into Premiere. Using the right selection, you'll get letterbox 16:9 on a 4:3 NTSC screen.

Scott Silverman June 30th, 2003 12:14 AM

Daniel,
Thanks so much! That solves my problem!

Peter Moore June 30th, 2003 09:19 AM

I would wholeheartedly encourage you to use Avid or Vegas. Premier, I have found, is just terrible.

Arnaldo Paixao June 30th, 2003 09:53 AM

Hi Andrew.

I might be mistaken, but maybe the problems you are experiencing have more to do with your computer configuration than with Premiere. Maybe I'm telling you things you allready know, but you could check this:

Is your AV drive (where you store your video/audio files) at least ATA 100/7200rpm. Formated in one partition using NTFS. Currently not fragmented. A separate HDD (not the system HDD).

Have you tried uninstalling and installing the soundcard drivers.

My 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Good luck
Arnaldo

Ed Smith June 30th, 2003 10:15 AM

Have you got loads of effects/ transitions in your project, multi layers etc.

Does it do it with one simple clip on the timeline?

To export all your clips etc into a new project without Realtime preview:

Create a New project which is *not* realtime preview
Go file> Import> Import Project
Locate the project file, click OK
It will ask you where on the timeline you would like it placed. Tell it to start at beginning of timeline. Select OK

All done,

Hope this helps,

Ed

Scott Silverman June 30th, 2003 10:19 AM

Yeah, I have come to realize that. As soon as I save up, I will be buying Avid. Thanks!

David Hurdon July 1st, 2003 06:00 AM

I'm not flogging any NLE over any other, but the pixel aspect ratio bug in Premiere 6 is well documented - and fixed in 6.5. For those, like myself, who haven't upgraded there is a workaround from www.jeremymoore.com that gets the job done. Once it's in place 16:9 works fine from then on.

David Hurdon

Glen Elliott July 1st, 2003 03:45 PM

Short answer: Ditch Premiere- go with Vegas.

Seriously though, check your Premiere directory- look under the projects folder and you'll see you'll have multiple instances in which you saved your project...double click one of them from an earlier date. If the project loads fine immediatly hit CTRL+S to save.
If that doesn't work try deleting your preference file- maybe a preference file got corrupted. It happened to me once when I was finishing up a wedding....how do you think "I" felt when I couldn't even load my project without Premiere freezing...UGH!

Good luck- get back to us and let us know if it worked!