DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/688-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2004-a.html)

Kent Metschan November 7th, 2004 09:46 AM

16x9 export frame doesn't work

When I import 16x9 footage from my xl2 and then export a frame the result is not the same size. I've never had problems when working with 4:3 projects. I can't use any of these frames in my project becuase they don't match. It doesn't appear to be the height that is the problem but it looks like it is pushed in from the sides. I've tried every setting (square pixels, dv1 16x9, etc...) and nothing works. Any help here would be appreciated.

I'm using Premiere Pro 1.0.

Jay Butler November 7th, 2004 02:35 PM

First time adobe user...stupid question.

Okay, I feel really dumb for asking this, and I should. I've been using Final Cut Pro HD for editing, I've gotten used to it...I like it. I'm over my friends house at the moment and I have to edit something over this weekend, I have no FCP at all, this is my first time using Premiere...

How the hell do I take my IN and OUT points from my MONITOR view, and make them subclips into the PROJECT window? I can't seem to do it for the life of me, I can't even find it in the help option. In FCP I just had to press apple+U , and viola...

I know this is probably very easy, but damn if I haven't been at it for the last 20 minutes looking for it, lol...I don't want to edit my whole file in the TIMELINE area, I'll go crazy... :) , thx alot guys...nice forum.

Carl Walters November 7th, 2004 02:53 PM

Quite simple..

When in monitor view you should see a type of slider underneath the monitor window. Quite simply at the in point you require press the "i" key on your key board, and for the out point press "o". This will automatically trim the clip in the project window. Just drag this clip into your timeline and voila! If you want to use a different part of the clip somewhere else in the timeline, double click the icon in the project window to open the clip back up and readjust the in and out points. It will not effect the first clip, just the next one.

Good luck.

Jay Butler November 7th, 2004 03:01 PM

Damn, I figured it out...long night last night ;) , thx

Scott Ellifritt November 7th, 2004 03:03 PM

Hi Jay,

In the bottom left of your monitor screen there are two little symbols that look like jagged parethesis. Like other software, if you rest the mouse pointer on the symbols, a little banner will pop up telling you what it is. The one one the left is set in and the one one the right is set out. Shuttle your video and mark your points. Move your timeline marker to the area where you want the clip to go. On the bottom right of the monitor window are two symbols for insert and overlay, choose accordingly and the clip will appear in the timeline.
Another way is after you choose your points, position the timelime marker where you want the footage to go then left click on the monitor video and drag to the project window. It automatically appears in your timeline.

Steven Gotz November 7th, 2004 04:09 PM

There are a couple of plugins for After Effects that do a decent job. Twixtor is one http://www.revisionfx.com/rstwixtor.htm and ReTimer is another http://www.digitalanarchy.com/pressr...3_retimer.html

They figure out what the in-between frames should look like.

Rob Lohman November 8th, 2004 03:10 AM

Please provide the following information:

1. what are your EXACT project settings?

2. to what format are you exporting?

3. in what program are you loading this exported frame?

Jiggy Gaton November 8th, 2004 06:37 AM

trying to make small movies for web!

ok, i must be doing something wrong here:
1. take a small clip (320x240, no audio, dither, etc).
2. export as compusa gif format (creates a gif for each frame) using the microsoft codec.
3. import into adobe imageready, using import folder as frames.
4. save as optimixed animated.gif
all goes well and as expected EXCEPT FOR FILE SIZE! 5 meg or so. there is no way i can put that on a website! Any suggestions? I really need help with this.
ps.I also tried the export from premiere pro called animated gif, and the file size was even larger!

Kent Metschan November 8th, 2004 08:48 AM

Thanks for the reply. What I'm doing is exporting a bmp and then placing it back into my sequence as a still. I'm sure you've seen when they are showing video and then it stops for a few seconds and they put a title on the shot. That's what I'm trying to accomplish. It has always worked in 4:3 and this is my first attempt at 16x9. I don't have all my project settings as I'm at work. Thanks.

Steven Gotz November 8th, 2004 05:50 PM

How many frames are there? At what frame rate?

Steven Gotz November 8th, 2004 05:53 PM

If you are used to exporting a still as 4:3, you might just need to change your settings and export at 16:9. But make sure it is square pixels, meaning you have to do the math.

Jiggy Gaton November 8th, 2004 07:03 PM

thanks steve! frame rate # is the prob. I have 130+ frames at 50kb each so i dont know what i was thinking. I was hoping that imageready would smash it all down to an animated gif of about 100kb but that's just dreamin. i am going to try the export at 5 fps and see what happens, but maybe it's not possible to make small animated gifs that have a video look ?!? ke garne.
jigs

Steven Gotz November 8th, 2004 09:34 PM

How big are your frames? Maybe you should reduce the size to no more than 320X240, and reduce the color to 256 if it hasn't already been done. At 5 frames per second, it doesn't exactly look like video.

K. Forman November 8th, 2004 09:54 PM

Somewhat smooth animation is 12-15 frames per second.

Kent Metschan November 8th, 2004 10:19 PM

Could you shed some more light for me? The pixel aspect ration I thought would work is "D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2)". I've also tried square pixels and that doesn't seem to work either. Do I need to change the frame size? It's set for 720 x 480 which is the dimension of the project.

Steven Gotz November 8th, 2004 11:13 PM

Well, you can't export 1.2 ratio pixels and expect them to work in anything except a video editor is my guess. Try exporting 864X480 and see how that works for you.

That is what I meant by doing the math. Multiply 720 by 1.2

Karel Bata November 9th, 2004 05:58 AM

Cleaner SX in Premiere?

1 - Anyone know if there's a way of getting Cleaner SX to show up as one of my export settings in Premiere 1.5?

2 - If I can't do that, what should my export settings in Premiere be to allow me to then import into SX? I know it should be the same frame size and frame rate as the source material, but what codecs shoudl I use?

3 - And, while I'm here, how do I switch off Premiere's tendency to process everything - by that I mean getting Premiere to not process cuts-only material?

Many thanks

Rob Lohman November 9th, 2004 06:03 AM

<<<-- but maybe it's not possible to make small animated gifs that have a video look ?!? -->>>

I would say that is indeed not possible, due to the fact that GIF's
are only 256 colors and you will only be able to store a couple of
frames (and thus a very low framerate).

I do believe PNG has animation support as well up to full 24 bit
color, but that will increase the filesize even more.

Rob Lohman November 9th, 2004 06:17 AM

Steven has a good point, that is also the reason why I asked what
your exact project settings where.

In Vegas (for example) this happens automatically (ie, it does
this transform for you), but it appears this does not happen in
Premiere.

As Steven indicated the math is simply. Check what the pixel
aspect ratio is in your project settings and multiply this number
by the width (720) of NTSC. When exporting choose 1.0 as
pixel aspect ratio (all stills need a 1.0 PA ratio!) and enter the
calculated width as the resolution and leave the default height
(should be 480).

Jiggy Gaton November 9th, 2004 06:34 AM

thanks all, you guys are the experts with thousands of posts! i give up. i thought i could decorate a website with just little bits of great footage but by the time u get it down to 320x5fps it looks pretty bad. i tried swf (flash) but its the same problem. one of these days i'll get into streaming video but not now. i was going to have animated gif icons for some downloadable avi or wmf clips but the best thing would be a simple gif. i guess i'll just wait till the next tecnological advancement. thanks again for all your comments!
jigs

Rob Lohman November 9th, 2004 07:11 AM

You don't need streaming to offer a movie. If you encode your
movie into QuickTime or Windows Media you can easily offer it
for download, ofcourse those files will be much larger in size.
You can even fake the "streaming" part.

What most people see as streaming is a movie that plays within
their webbrowser. You can easily do this with both Windows
Media and QuickTime without having a streaming server (just
a plain webserver). The underlying difference between this
apparant streaming and real streaming is the way how the
movies are (or can be) transmitted to your audience.

Just as an example: with the fake method you can't do a live
event broadcast for example and multicast that to your audience.

Jiggy Gaton November 9th, 2004 08:51 AM

thanks for that! yes i understand. i just wanted to make the button more attractive for the download (fake streaming!). like play a bit of the movie just like i do for my DVD menus. the problem we have in nepal of course is almost everyone is on a very slow modem line, or a shared broadband that's even slower!
jigs

Dan Euritt November 9th, 2004 03:24 PM

jiggy, you have a good idea and it can work, but you'll have to drastically decrease the frame sizes that you are working with... 320 is waaay too big.

i create animated video gif icons from seriously cropped video sources using settings like 64x48x6fps, which as a real short clip, equals 21kb in size... i put transparent bevels on each side, it looks great!

Jiggy Gaton November 9th, 2004 05:54 PM

dan, another good tip! of course. i'll give that size a shot. thanks,
jiggy

Trond Saetre November 10th, 2004 03:18 AM

You can correct the pixel aspect ratio in Premiere Pro.

Highlight the (image)file in the project window and
Choose:
File -> Interpret Footage

Kent Metschan November 10th, 2004 09:10 AM

Thanks everyone for their feedback. I never would have figured it out without this forum.

John DeLuca November 11th, 2004 01:13 PM

Shadows/Highlights problem

I used the shadows/highlights effect on a wedding I did over the summer. I noticed a flickering effect every so often with the brightness. When I disable the shadows/highlights it goes away, so I dont think it was recorded that way. This has also happened with the magic bullet filmic plug in aswell. Any help is appreciated.

John

Ed Smith November 12th, 2004 03:29 AM

Hi John,

Does it do the same thing if you apply the same effect to another clip in another project?

What version of Premiere are you using?

What settings are you using?

Where did you notice the flickering effect (TV, PC monitor etc)?

Thanks,

Ed

Christopher Najewicz November 12th, 2004 12:28 PM

NTSC to PAL to DVD workflow help

Hi, I've searched the forums but I can't seem to find the answer to my question, so if it's been discussed before, I apologize in advance...

I have been working on a DVD for a band, I am all done with it and it has been sent off to be manufactured, I am working in Premiere, and I have been frameserving to CCE for MPEG encoding.

Anyhow, my dilemma is this, I was recently told that we need to send this off to the UK for distribution, so I need to convert the whole thing to PAL.

My question is this, what is the best workflow to convert?

I do have Canopus Procoder 2...

Can I export PAL from premiere by simply resizing to 720x576 at 25fps, or do I need to open a new project and import my outputted NTSC DV file (will this cause a generational loss?)

Am I better off just converting my encoded NTSC content via Procoder?

Thanks for any help, I am concered about quality since this will be a commercial release that people will (hopefully) be paying for.

John DeLuca November 12th, 2004 12:32 PM

Its not consistent with all clips, and only happens "here, and there". I was out on a sunny day, bright background(lake), dark foreground(shade), camera static when noticed. The dark areas that where brought out(dark areas made brighter) seem to be the areas affected. Using pro 1.5, 30p, 4:3 timeline. Shot with a GL2, daylight balance, no exposure lock. I noticed it on my computer monitor. My guess is that when the dark areas are made lighter, you can see the exposure change in the shadow areas alot easier. Hard to see whats going on when the tiny GL2 screen is jacked up all the way on your tripod.

John

Dan Euritt November 12th, 2004 07:33 PM

if you shot and edited it in ntsc, you should be able to encode to pal mpeg2 via procoder, right off of the premiere timeline... or just import the finished ntsc dv avi into procoder, if that is what you have.

there are presets in procoder for converting ntsc dv directly to pal mpeg2 for dvd... the field settings might not match, i usually have to correct that... you can use the same audio that you used for the ntsc dvd when authoring the dvd... encode it at the highest data rate you can get away with, i use two-pass mastering mode vbr with 8800 max on the video.

Jiggy Gaton November 13th, 2004 10:24 PM

fast motion - time lapse sequence help needed!

hi all, happy tihar! well, i have a clip that is 30 or so minutes of a sunrise in the Annurpurnas and i want to speed it up to less than 30 seconds or so - ya know that effect - clouds wizzing by and sunlight quickly illuminating the peaks. how do i do that in premier? Is there another option other than just changing the speed/duration link by 6000% or so?!? is there something in AfterEffects that's better?
thanks!
jigs

Brendan Sundry November 14th, 2004 05:23 AM

How to capture in quicktime in premiere 6.5

I have no problems captuing in avi format in premiere 6.5, but when i select quicktime i get the "unable to connect to capture driver" message. Just wondering if there is some driver i could download and install to fix this problem?

Ed Smith November 14th, 2004 06:21 AM

Hi Jiggy,

You might want to try taking out a couple of frames every so often (say every 1 minute take out 25/30frames). This will then hopefully give a timelapse kind of effect, you would need to experiment with it though...

Another thing to try could be motion blurs, guassian blurs and so on.

All of these effects will need to be used with speed change...

Thanks,

Jiggy Gaton November 14th, 2004 09:49 PM

thanks ed! i got it by increasing the speed by 6000%, exporting the results, and even speeding that shortened bit up. but is still does not look like the stuff ya see on national G or in commercials. I think my filming technique is the problem - ya just can't put the camera on auto and let it roll for 30 minutes - i think you have to be there on manual, make exposure adjustments, then cut out the adjustment "jerks" later during editing. in auto my GS400 did not do a very good job making smooth exposure adjustments - i bet the xl1s would have been better.
jigs

Dan Euritt November 14th, 2004 11:54 PM

fwiw, i don't think that you will gain anything by capturing footage with quicktime instead of premiere.

Steven Fokkinga November 15th, 2004 07:44 AM

Mpeg-2 editing in premiere pro

Hello everyone,

I have the following problem: on a documentary I edited a while ago I made a final export to mpeg-2 for dvd. Now after the job was delivered and concluded, due to a hard-drive crash I lost all my orignal captured .avi files. That was very nasty, although not a disaster because the job was already concluded and I also still had my source files on the dv-tapes. Now my client would like a shorter version of the documentary. It only involves a few very basic steps; cutting out some parts. So I tried to re-edit my mpeg-file (I know, that's not going to do the quality any good, but this client isn't that picky on that for this low-budget project) but couldn't get any results as premiere screws up the timeline; the audio isn't sync anymore, there are skips and freezes, etc.
Now I'm sure this is because of the intra-frame compressing of mpeg (and the GOP and I-frames, etc.).
My question is if there's any way to do this edit in premiere with a plug-in or mod, or to do it in another program. The only other option I have is to go back to the source dv-tapes but that would take me a week to edit, whereas some cuts in the mpeg-file would take me 5 minutes (on a working program, that is!). I even tried those freeware videosplitting apps who claim to do mpeg but they screwed it up as well. Ideas, anyone?

Steven

Rob Lohman November 15th, 2004 08:10 AM

Where are you located in Holland? You might try loading the
MPEG2 in www.virtualdub.org and have it export it as
an uncompressed AVI file. If that works you'll be set. If not you
will probably need another edit program (I have Vegas here and
it should be able to do this).

Rob Lohman November 15th, 2004 10:36 AM

With digital format you can only capture in DV, although QuickTime
supports DV I don't think you can capture to it (it looks like it
switched to analog capturing which it can't find). If you need a
QuickTime DV avi file on the PC just capture it in AVI, drag it to the
timeline and export as QuickTime DV.

Steven Fokkinga November 15th, 2004 06:30 PM

Hi Rob, I'm from Delft.

I tried virtualdub, but all it says is: "no video frames found in mpeg-file" It says that on multiple mpeg files, also video from another sources (ripped from dvd). Could this be a codec problem? They play normally in media player or other players, just when I try to re-edit them (in premiere) they screw up. Any thoughts?

Steven

PS I don't have Vegas so can't check if that works