DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/688-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2004-a.html)

Matthew de Jongh February 2nd, 2004 11:17 AM

get a copy of the classroom in a book tutorial from adobe, it has an exercise on how to do exactly this.

matthew

Adam Brennan February 2nd, 2004 02:29 PM

What is availble for the premiere pro set up?

Rob Lohman February 3rd, 2004 04:52 PM

Checkout the Adobe Premiere Pro section. Answers should be in the what's new and in depth categories.

Anthony Claudia February 3rd, 2004 05:22 PM

Matthew,

A little OT:

Are there any other good books on Premiere Pro (or nle in general) that you would recommend. I find the included user manuals very drab.

Thanks,
AC

Matthew de Jongh February 3rd, 2004 06:27 PM

there aren't very many (any?) others out yet.

amazon lists a few as pending, but i haven't seen any others yet.

i have found the classroom in a book series generally at least helpful.

matthew

Owen Brazas February 4th, 2004 12:15 PM

Premiere 6.5 mpeg2 with no audio?

I am using premiere 6.5 to make a short 8min clip into an mpeg2 for dvd burning, for some reason I get no audio. Everything is straight forward, nothing fancy...I have messed with the options some and still no go, any help? The footage is from mini dv (xl1) and shot in 16:9.Thanks

Anthony Claudia February 4th, 2004 01:19 PM

When you import the footage, do you have both the audio and video options checked?

I think in 6.5, the icons are on the bottom left of the import screen....when audio is turned off, for instance, it will have a red diagonal line through the icon.

John Britt February 4th, 2004 01:39 PM

For some types of DVD-compliant export (such as .m2v files), Premiere 6.5 creates a separate .wav file that holds all the audio information. If you try to watch the video file alone, you will not hear the audio.

When you import the .m2v (or .mpg2) file into a DVD authoring program such as MyDVD, usually the .wav file automatically imports as well. Perhaps you need to import the .wav file manually into your DVD authoring program.

What sort of file is Premiere creating for you -- mpg or m2v? How are you viewing this file when you don't hear the audio? Can you find a .wav file with the same filename as your video file?

Anthony Claudia February 4th, 2004 01:52 PM

Oh, sorry Owen. I thought you were having trouble importing the clip with audio from the minidv.

John is right, you probably have a seperate audio file.

Joe Cinquina February 5th, 2004 11:23 AM

Problems previewing rendered timeline on DV CAM in Premiere PRO

For the life of me I can not get this to work. I have a Canon GL2 connected through a Firewire cable. I then use the Composite or S-Video out from the camera to a NTSC monitor. This works in Premiere 6.5, but not in Premiere PRO. As I play the time line or scrub through it will not play on the camera. Only after I stop scrubbing or stop the play back will the frame where I stopped show on the camera. I have my "playback settings" set to "play video on DV hardware enabled" and "real-time playback" set to Play on desktop and DV hardware.

I have a P4 1.8 ghz with 512Mb to 7200 RPM 80gb drives and a 200gb firewire drive. The source video is stored on my firewire drives and my preview files are going to my 80 gb IDE drive.

Like I said, I have never had this problem in 6.5. Also I have noticed that un-rendered playback of the timeline in the output monitor window is very slow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Joe

Ong Wan Shu February 5th, 2004 07:10 PM

Getting Jpegs from my footage

hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.

A few film festivals that I wanna send my film to require me to send still pictures of my film. I didn't manage to get any still pictures on set as my budget is too low and there are more things to worry on set.

If, say i want a certain scene/frame to be converted to Jpeg, or tiff to be printed out, how do I do that?

My NLE is Premiere Pro, edited in PAL format. Camera is DVX100, PAL version, shot in 25p mode.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Wan Shu

K. Forman February 5th, 2004 07:15 PM

I haven't used Pro yet, but I know you can still move to any frame in the timeline, and export>frame> then select jpeg.

Ryan Krga February 5th, 2004 11:12 PM

You just move the timeline marker over the part of the video that you want a still, then go to File>Export>Frame... I would export it as a bitmap, then take it into Photoshop and convert it into whatever format you please.

Jonathan Stanley February 6th, 2004 05:49 PM

I had some problems with the same thing. I am using the Matrox RTX100, so I just hooked my NTSC monitor up to the card via s-video, and its fine. but if i try to export through firewire during editing, wierd stuff happens...

Jonathan Stanley February 6th, 2004 05:54 PM

try total trainings dvds. they have a section on color correction.

Jason Brooks February 7th, 2004 08:59 AM

Premier disk error (Disk full?)

Hey,

I was doing some editing yesterday and when I went to export I got an error stating "disk error (Disk full?)" Now I have a 160 gig hard drive with about 100 gig of free space so the disk is nowhere close to full. I even uninstalled and reinstalled premier and that did not fix the problem. I had been exporting fine untill yesterday and then it stopped. I did a search on dogpile.com and found what I hope is a permanent fix that you can see here

http://forum.matrox.com/rt2000/Forum6/HTML/002731.html

Have any of you had this problem before and what did you do to fix it? I held down ctrl and shift upon startup of premier and chose single track editing again.

Lyndon Golanowski February 7th, 2004 01:02 PM

Adobe Premiere Fades Playback Choppy On T.V?

I used the effects controls panel for this, and used keyframes with opacity values to create the fades, it fades from white to white by the way, the fades come out choppy when played back on television. Can anyone explain how to fix or prevent this? Thanks.

Dustin Waits February 7th, 2004 02:54 PM

I had the same problem once before. But I realized it was because my export settings were set to deinterlace everything. Make sure your settings are correct.

Lyndon Golanowski February 7th, 2004 03:45 PM

I don't want it de-interlaced? I thought de-interlacing footage was good? or should I interlace footage when export to tape? also, if I do a project in After Effects, should I interlace it in after effects, and then again in Adobe Premiere? or should I keep it de-itnerlaced and interlace it in Adobe. Im so confused on interlacing etc. thanks for your help, please let me know what I gotta do with this interlacing stuff.

Johnny Cheung February 7th, 2004 08:26 PM

premiere pro rendering question

Some questions about rendering time..on premiere pro.

So is it also true that the more effects in the video the longer the rendering time is? and how do you define "a lot of effects"? like I was only using some built-in effects like transform, key filters and some other basic stuff on the video here and there, but it still took quite long to render..

Jeff Smallwood February 7th, 2004 09:24 PM

Well, I have not had that exact problem, however I have had one like it when I was attempting to render, and that was fixed by resetting my scratch disks (Once in premiere you can go to edit-> prefrences-> scratch disks, or I assume the ctrl shift works) and just make sure there are folders for those items to go to. Guess you might have already checked that, hopefully that will fix it though.

Dustin Waits February 7th, 2004 10:36 PM

If your footage was shot interlaced then I would leave it like that unless you have a specific reason for deinterlacing your footage. For instance, sometimes it lowers the file size if you deinterlace a video to upload to the web. Or if you are trying to create an effect such as an old film effect or something. But in any normal occasion, keep it interlaced.

David Hurdon February 8th, 2004 06:39 AM

Interlaced footage displays half the horizontal lines in 1/60th of a second and the other half in the following 1/60th, to create the appearance of one image per 1/30th of a second, on a TV screen. Footage intended for TV playback should be interlaced. Deinterlacing often improves the visual experience of the same material when purposed for PC monitors and the web.

David Hurdon

David Hurdon February 8th, 2004 06:58 AM

Adam, have you checked the settings viewer? Often a difference between the project settings and the source clips (which will show up in red in the viewer) will create additional work in rendering.
And on the subject of rendering, in DV lingo rendering is the activity that creates temporary files describing the end result of adding effects, titles, etc. Exporting doesn't involve rendering, unless you didn't already render the project as you worked on it. An export of unrendered material can take a very long time.

David Hurdon

Rob Lohman February 8th, 2004 01:05 PM

If I'm not mistaken ctrl+shift resets Premiere back to the factory
defaults. This would changes it's temporary drive [scratch]
settings as well.

By default it will write the temp files to your C drive. Now I'm
assuming that your video is on another drive or partition (the
one with all the free space) and you want to make sure Premiere
uses those for temporary stuff as well.

Andrew Leigh February 8th, 2004 01:57 PM

Hi

How big is your file?

I have had that message when exporting large files in excess of the FAT32 format limitations but never on NTFS formatted drives.

Cheers
Andrew

Jason Brooks February 8th, 2004 02:26 PM

The file is a 30 second video clip with transitions. I had exported it before and it was about 5 mg. I fixed it with the ctrl shift trick and it happened again last night. I did the trick again and presto. Back in business. I have heard that premier can be buggy. I hope this is not a constant problem.

Ed Smith February 9th, 2004 09:54 AM

Ryan and keith are right, although most people in the industry tend to use targa images when exporting a frame from video. I believe that you could also use the shortcut key Ctrl+m to open up the export frame dialog box.

Bare in mind though that it will only export out at tv resolution i.e. 720x576 pal 720x480 ntsc. These are low quality you'll probably only get a decent pint out at about A5 size.

John Threat February 9th, 2004 02:03 PM

You probably only want to speed up the video, not the audio clip :)

Donie Kelly February 12th, 2004 08:12 AM

Do you have a DV camera with AV->DV conversion? That would mean you could import the footage through the camera as DV footage and maybe that is easier for Adobe to work with?

Maybe the AVI from your capture card is not a DV avi and premier is converting this first? Just a though as I have never done it. The times you quote seem excessive as I had the same size project and it only took about 40 minutes to export. I had less efffects than you though.

Hope that helps you comes to a solution.
Donie

Michael Sterling February 12th, 2004 03:32 PM

Adobe Premiere has the jitters

I'm currently using Adobe Premiere 6.0. I just finished a project using a lot of pretty good quality JPEG stills. Almost every picture has motion on it and I'd say I'm getting a jitter (toward the center of the frame only) on about 75% of them. It's kind of driving me crazy. Any ideas on how to remedy this problem? Input would be greatly appreciated.

Ed Smith February 13th, 2004 02:41 PM

Have you de-interlaced the jpg files? It might be worth trying.

Right click on the JPG file on the timeline in Premiere
Go to video options
select field options
Then select de-interlace
Click OK
And render.

If de-interlace does not work try the other settings in filed options.

Do they happen in the same place every time?

By motion I guess you mean the motion filter which allows you to move the video around th screen?

Please also post your system specs - this could also be the cause of the problem.

Cheers,

Ed

John Britt February 13th, 2004 03:38 PM

Another fellow and I recently brought this up in this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=20724

Paul Tauger had some suggestions in that thread that I haven't had time to try.

Michael Sterling February 13th, 2004 10:09 PM

John: Thanks so much for the link to the other thread. it was very helpful and I will give some of those tips a try tomorrow.

Ed: I'll also try de-interlacing the photos. The jitter seem to always take place toward the center of the screen which, many times, is also the "focal point" to which I am zooming in or pulling out from.

The motion feature I am using is under "Video Options" which comes up when you right-click on the photo in the timeline. I'm Using Premiere 6.02 on a 1Ghz Pentium 3.

Rob Easler February 13th, 2004 11:17 PM

Michael, I just posted this on the other thread and I wanted you to see this response as well...

I used Premiere for quite a while and always had the intermitent problem you describe. It was very frustrating. I will tell you how I stopped it but first you have to listen to the commercial...once I switched to Vegas I never ever had the problem again. Never another jerky photo pan problem, no messing with picture sizes etc. Vegas is AWESOME for photo montages. Anyway, I found a consistant fix for the "jerks" was to apply a rotation on the picture of any amount. Even a 1% rotation setting will do it. You can then pan in to cover any border exposed by a slight rotation. Give it a try. It worked like a charm in P6. It's a shame one has to resort to an underground fix like that. All users didnt have the problem but it comes up regularly for at least the versions prior to PPro.

Michael Sterling February 14th, 2004 09:47 PM

Rob: Thanks for the info. I never would have considered trying that fix. Seems like one of those thing you probably just stumbled upon. The jitter problem has definitely been a frustrating one. Interesting that you mentioned Vegas as I just downloaded the demo yesterday. So far I'm *very* impressed, and I'm seriously thinking about buying it.

James Emory February 15th, 2004 03:00 PM

Flicker Removal

Try doing the same thing Ed said but this time choose the flicker removal option and then see what happens.

Lyndon Golanowski February 15th, 2004 08:42 PM

Audio in Premiere exports crackling?

I have an audio track on the timeline, I also want the audio from my video clips, when I export it creates a crackling, anybody know how I can fix this? If i delete one of the audio's then it dissapears, what am I doin wrong?

Hans Henrik Bang February 16th, 2004 04:53 AM

I have experienced this too. The "crackling" is due to saturation (clipping) of the total audio signal.

You have 2 audio tracks, and as soon as you "merge" the two of them, the two of them together will produce audio louder than the maximum allowed. That means that the signal will be "clipped" which usually sounds like crackling.

The ideal solution for this would be to have some kind of "normalize" output volume, so that Premiere would ensure that the final audio output is not clipped. I haven't found this facility yet, so my workaround so far has been to reduce the volume of the individual audio clips slightly (reduce gain).

That can be bothersome if you have to do it often, but only happened to me once, so havent bothered with a simpler solution so far.

If someone has experience with normalizing volume, feel free to share.

Glenn Chan February 16th, 2004 05:19 PM

If Premiere has something like a master audio mixer, turn the gain/volume on that down. Normalize brings the max volume up to 0 or -01.dB, which isn't good when you have 2 things peaking at 0dB (they will add up together and cause clipping).

You can also normalize to -6dB or whatever, so you can avoid clipping that way.