DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/688-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2004-a.html)

Roger Golub April 27th, 2004 09:23 AM

Well, I knew it was easy. Thanks.

Ed Smith April 27th, 2004 09:23 AM

Do you have the standard or professional edition of AE? If you have the pro version then there should be far more controls. But as fo rthe standard version you get about the same chroma key controls as you do with premiere (not very many). Using the Matrox plug in will give you more.

Ed Smith April 27th, 2004 09:26 AM

It can be tricky uninstalling plug in files, unless there was an uninstall application when you installed the plugin. Plug-ins are normally kept with in the plugin folder of Premiere. But rather than fidderling around in there I would to a re-install, like Rob suggested.

Nick Jushchyshyn April 27th, 2004 09:47 AM

For greenscreen shots, you have to avoid compressing your source video.

Capture the video directly to the native format of your capture device. Any additional compression will add at least some artifacts to your video that increase the difficulty in getting good composits. WM9 may be fine for a final release, but it's terrible for keying work.

Good luck.
Have fun.

Mike Morrell April 27th, 2004 10:06 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I do have AE professional version 6. The chroma key effect has the following controls available:

key color
color tolerance
edge thin
edge feather

-----------------------------------

I am editing in DV, so far using Matrox DV codec. Like I said, the DV edit with the chroma key applied looks good on my test. But when I take this clip and write to windows media, that is when I am noticing objectionable artifacts. I even tried WM9 "uncompressed" and it did not look much better. My green screen test footage was not lit quite as well as my production will be.

Ming Dong April 27th, 2004 11:50 AM

Re: Help! Premier Pro newbie

I was in the exact same boat as you, I started with Studio 8 and now use PPro. I found the Adobe Video Digital Curriculum to be an excellent guide. And the best part is that it is available free on their website!

Why not use the Slow Motion effect in Studio 8? It is easy to use and works great. Simply select the clip, Open the Video Tool box then click on the "Vary playback speed". Then move the slider to whatever speed you want. I usually used 0.4x for slow motion replay of sports events.

If you must transfer work from Studio 8 to PPro, I recommend AVI format to maintain the best picture quality. To save as an AVI in Studio 8, Select the Make Movie tab, then click on the AVI tab.

To use the AVI file in PPro, simply select File/Import/, then point to the AVI you want to add to your (PPRO) Project.

To become proficient at PPro, you are going to have to wean yourself off Studio 8. I deleted it off my system, so now I *must* learn to use PPro ;)

Hope that helps!

Shane Kinloch April 27th, 2004 04:30 PM

Thanks Anthony.

Jonathan Posch April 27th, 2004 04:32 PM

audio problems in premiere

When I capture film into premiere the audio is present, but when I put my footage into the timeline and playback through the monitor window the audio does not play, just the video. The audio tracks are present in the timeline they just don't play with the video, but when i drag the bar back over the tracks with my mouse the audio can be heard playing backwards. Can any one help? Thanks

Jonathan Posch April 27th, 2004 06:01 PM

converting 16:9 to 4:3 in premiere

Is this possible to convert 16:9 video to 4:3?

Thanks

Steven Gotz April 27th, 2004 06:58 PM

Your Playback Settings are probably set to play to the DV device instead of the audio device. Unplug your camcorder.

Steven Gotz April 27th, 2004 07:19 PM

There are a few really good free tutorials at http://www.wrigleyvideo.com

I have links to some good tutorials site on my Tutorial page.

I suggest the Class-On-Demand video tutorial series by Emmy Award winning editor Tim Kolb and he also has a book out from Focal Press.

http://www.classondemand.net/ClassOnDemand/Public/product.aspx?Product.formState=2&Product.ProductSelected=124

The book is cheapest at Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=18712&dept=3920&product_id=2614599&path=0%3A3920%3A18712%3A18736%3A18743%3A20677

Read about it here:

http://books.elsevier.com/us/focalbooks/us/subindex.asp?isbn=0240805674&country=United+States&community=focalbooks&mscssid=01SMPAUVF2EC8LKK2TKB 93ANRXSTDDE8

BJ Thomas April 28th, 2004 03:22 AM

With new version of Premiere 1.5, I hear that you will be able to use photoshop plugin. In Premiere 6.5 the only photoshop plugin that I used was diffused glow. The diffused glow filter needs to be from a earlier version of photoshop 5 and lower or it will not work. Diffused glow was an awesome effect that I used when I had 6.5

Steven Gotz April 28th, 2004 07:47 AM

The new features document mentions four Photoshop filters included with Premiere Pro and it also mentions that compatible AE plugins will automatically load from the AE plugins directory.

I didn't see diffused glow on the list of Photoshop plugins. Perhaps on the AE plugins list? The document wasn't that specific.

Will Martin April 28th, 2004 03:23 PM

Censorship needed

Hey all,

I hope ya'll might be able to help me with a slight problem. I am doing some street racing videos and some guys don't want their face nor the license plate numbers on their cars showing in the videos. Does anyone know how to do the little censor blur, block, or whatever? I am using Adobe Premier 6. No AE experience so that won't help unless you know of a really good tutorial for it. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Ben Gurvich April 28th, 2004 08:42 PM

Render before compositing?

I have been editing in premiere and am ready to now do some pretty heavy compositing in after effects.

I am wondering will i lose quality if I render out to a single ffile? or should i rendering to DV again and just import the premiere file into After Effects.

Another thing i could do is export the file from premiere as an uncompressed AVI.

Basically i jsut dont wanna compress my image anymore than need be.

Cheers,
Ben Gurvich

Jonathan Stanley April 28th, 2004 11:54 PM

If you have the space, render to an uncompressed file. That way you are safe. Or a DV avi should be acceptable too.

Rich Lee April 29th, 2004 12:03 AM

Ben,

What kind of compositig are you doing?

For now I would say import your premiere project into after effects, this way there are no issues a loss in quality as you will be dealing with the original dv files. If you do go with rendering out a uncompressed file, i would suggest rendering out a quicktime file with animation compression. The last time i checked, a quicktime animation file will be smaller in size then uncompressed avi, and the quality seems to be better. Thats what i do anyway, not sure what others do.

Ed Smith April 29th, 2004 04:20 AM

Hi Will,

Are you running with any special hardware?

Censoring with a block of black etc can be tricky, but this is how I would do it (there are numous ways) with software only:

>Create a small black square in title designer (bigger enough to cover most of the subject). Save it.
>Place your video clip in track 1 and then place the title in track 2 (above the video clip)
>Right click on the title and choose video options> motion
>In the motion control panel there are numorus controls to add keyframes, make bigger or smaller, and to move the 'black box' around the screen. (I won't go into much detail as its pretty tricky to explain). The screen is basically split into 3 sections the upper left window is your preview monitor, the upper right window is where you move the frame and add various keyframes, and the bottom windows are for adjusting parameters.
>once done click OK.

I suggest you have a play around.

I hope this helps,

Rob Lohman April 29th, 2004 04:32 AM

If you've ONLY done straight cuts in Premiere it should not render
your final DV file, so you should be safe. Keep in mind that After
Effects will not load things like transitions from the Premiere file!

Ed Smith April 29th, 2004 12:07 PM

yes it is depending on how the 16x9 footage is. You will probably loose resoloution or have to have black bars top and bottom.

Please provide with more information if you want to know how to do it:

> Version of Premiere
> Is it anamorphic 16x9
> Is it letter boxed 16x9
> How is it going to be used?
> Why you need to do it?
> Any other useful info you think we might need

Thanks,

Ed

Jonathan Posch April 29th, 2004 03:34 PM

converting 16:9 to 4:3

The reason I need to do it, is I started shooting a video with the 16:9 option on my Sony Vx2000, but I have since changed to 4:3 after I found out about the loss of resolution shooting this way, and I could do with using some of that 16:9 footage. I'm using Premiere 6.

Thanks

jon

Jonathan Posch April 29th, 2004 03:35 PM

Yes it recognises the stereo signal with the Vx2000.

Thanks

jon

Ben Gurvich April 29th, 2004 05:29 PM

Rob, i didnt know that,
You may have saved my ass in the future.
Cheers.

Rich Lee April 29th, 2004 06:43 PM

It doesnt load the transitions, but it does load a marker for the transition as a little solid with the correct in/out points. While its not ideal, it is handy, i tend to do the transition in after effects anyway. for you have more control over what its doing, but thats just personal prefference.

good luck with your project Ben.

Steven Gotz April 29th, 2004 09:56 PM

There is a great tutorial on face blur in the Premiere Pro section at http://www.wrigleyvideo.com

If you have an earlier version, check out the sililar tutorial in the 6.0 section.

Ed Smith April 30th, 2004 02:39 AM

I take it its anamorphic 16x9 i.e. vertically squished when viewed on a 4:3 TV?

If it is then you will have to have black bars top and bottom. I guess you could zoom in on the footage but you will loose quality, and part of the image.

Off the top of my head I think this is what you need to do.

Create a 16x9 project
Capture the footage in at 16x9
Create a new project 4x3
Import your 16x9 captured clips into the 4x3 project
Place them on the timeline
Right click on the clip in the timeline and choose video options, and then select 'Maintain Aspect Ratio'
You will now get black bars top and bottom, you will have to render.

I think thats it,

Thanks,

Casey Visco April 30th, 2004 04:10 PM

And to go along with that, After Effects 6.5 is on its way, which FINALLY adds firewire out support for Windows based machines, and includes a comparable color corrector to premiere pro. Some much need improvements to that particular product, I think.

Sorry, no direct link, you can find the info on Adobe's site.

Belliso Rincon May 2nd, 2004 02:00 PM

Capturing from GL2

I have Premiere 6.0 and a GL2. I am going to have to install a firewire card to my computer, but I was wondering if that is all I need to capture video from the camera into Premiere. Is anyone else using this setup? I would appreciate any info that anyone has as far as things that I need to look out for or any other additional accessories I may need in order to make this work correctly.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to your help.

Ed Smith May 2nd, 2004 03:24 PM

Hi Belliso,

Everything should work with a standard firewire card. You'll have to bare in mind that everything you do will need to be rendered.

You might also want to get an external monitor so that you can see how your edits and effects will look on a TV. This can be connected through your camera. Make sure though you select DV playback in settings.

Belliso Rincon May 2nd, 2004 06:06 PM

Thanks Ed.

About that rendering..

I will need to render everything before I can export, right? I will be able to see the edits as I go won't I? I worked on an oldr version of Premiere several years back, and the only thing that needed rendering were the more complicated transitions. Is this going to be different?

Ed Smith May 3rd, 2004 05:33 AM

Hi Belliso,

Yes you will need to render everything before you export. You will be able to see your edits but for anything with an effect or complicated transition it will need to be rendered to see it real time. You could off course use the alt+scrub command to preview any effects that needs to be rendered. If you could possibly upgrade to 6.5 you'll get a real-time preview setting. That means that you will not need to render all your effects to preview them. But still need to render to export. Or buy hardware acceleration.

Amir Shehata May 3rd, 2004 03:39 PM

Blurring in Adobe Primiere

I want to blue out a selected section of a clip. You know the way they do on Cop shows when they don't want to show someone's face.

Is there a way to do that in Adobe Primier Pro?

thanks
amir

Anthony Meluso May 3rd, 2004 10:45 PM

There's a great tutorial at Wrigley Video that will teach you how to do it. Once you learned it you can then matte anything you want numerous different ways.

http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotut...o_blurface.htm

Amir Shehata May 3rd, 2004 11:21 PM

Thanks. I took a look at it and it looks like it'll be a good tutorial.

thanks
amir

Gino Terribilini May 4th, 2004 02:38 AM

I haven't seen the new versions of Premiere, After Effects, etc. yet, but I am excited to see if they made any changes to the Audition interface to "Adobilize" it a little more. There seem to be a lot of significant changes to it. Anyway, i'm excited... i'll report back when i use them a little more.

Robbie Smolinsky May 4th, 2004 03:00 PM

It seems as though everyone pretty well covered the bases here, and I just wanted to throw in some words of encouragement. I too went from Pinnacle software over to Adobe Premiere about a year ago. I admit when I first tried Premiere I thought the interface was terrible and went back to Pinnacle right away. As I played around with Premiere more, I got more comfortable with it and began to use it 100% of the time. Just for fun, I reinstalled my old Pinnacle software, and that seems foreign to me now, you really how terrific Premiere really is until you drop back to the old editing software!!

I think that books and guides are a great learning tool, but what you may want to do is read up on some basics, and play around with test footage on your own. Everyone learns in their own way, I find that it helped me more to do my own thing to figure stuff out rather than read the book and do step-by-step sorts of operations. Of course, I don't use much of the finer capabilities of Premiere, and I'm now looking into some reading material for the specifics. Good luck!

Clint Newman May 5th, 2004 06:32 AM

Sorry to bring back an old post, but I think I have the same problem as described above?

http://photos.aushobby.com/camera_prob.jpg

Have a look at the red in the right hand corner.

Is a screen capture of the problems I am having. Is this the same thing?

Thanks

John O Brien May 5th, 2004 11:20 AM

Transition

http://www.petrovideo.com/images/eyetest.wmv

Does anybody know if there is a transition for adobe premier to achieve that blurred effect?

Jonathan Posch May 5th, 2004 08:24 PM

Applying Video Effects

I have tried to apply video effects to my clips in the timeline with no success(I'm using Premiere 6). I drag and drop it on the clip and it opens up the relevant window to control the effect, so I alter the brightness(example) and I can see the effect working on the clip(still image). But when I go to play it in the monitor window it just plays normally with no effect. I have read the manual and can't see what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone help?

Thanks

jon

John Britt May 5th, 2004 09:07 PM

Are you rendering the video? Before viewing the timeline, go to "Timeline" -> "Render Work Area" (at least, that's the way it's set up in 6.5). In mast cases, you will not see the effect take effect until you render.