DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/688-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2004-a.html)

Paul Tisdell July 4th, 2004 06:02 PM

premier pro

Wxp pro pent 2.4 1 gig ram pinnacle dv500 , creative sound blaster live plat, What happens is if I export a file from pinnacle edition as a fused sequence then import it to premier pro the file is like looking at something under water , if I go to interpret file and make a change of any kind it will play pefectly in the preview window but not of time line, if I capture in premier pro the same issue. If I run the captured clip through pinnacle Trex to convert it to dv avi which it all ready is and import that file into premier its ok. I have installed premieer pro on another system I have which has premier 6.5 and the same thing happens. I,m thinking it may be a conflicted as the 2 systems have some of the same software but edition is only on one. I have removed some of the software I have not found it yet. Its hard to send you footage as Im in a regional area and only have dialup internet connection,Thanks Paul Pal (1.o67) not widescreen what else can I tell you.

Ed Smith July 5th, 2004 11:01 AM

Hi Lati,

Premiere Pro does not split the audio automatically. The only way that I can see how to do it is:

Pan the channel to the left duplicate the audio place in a second track and then pan it to the right. Change the levels where needed.

Hopefully that might work, if you recorded to the left and right channel of a stereo track.

Barry Gribble July 5th, 2004 11:27 AM

Audio Effect on Track, Not Clip

All,

I really want to add an audio effect to an entire audio track, not just to one clip at a time... is this possible? I want to do it for two reasons:

1. So that when I have many clips, such as from cut dialog, I can add an effect too all of it at once.

2. I have some quick cuts that I want to add a reverb to, and I want the reverb to last after the clip itself is gone.

Is this possible?

I know that I can drop the whole sequence on to a new timeline and add the effects there, but that works less well for me for a number of reasons....

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Adam Brennan July 6th, 2004 12:08 AM

Jittery picture in Premiere 6.5 and other issues..help

I am using premiere 6.5 with XP pro

I am having some issues with still pictures when rendered to an avi or mpeg video, the pictures will "jitter". I am using the tool where you can enlarge the picture and pan across it. What am I doing wrong or is it one of the many bugs that Adobe has?

Also, I can't render in windows wmv...it's saying I don't have the right codec, where do I get this wmv codec?

My adobe 6.5 seems to lock up a lot also while making edits or while redering...I guess this has to do with many effects and resources it takes up?

I am using a pent 3.2 with over 2 gig of ram....so I think my system is sufficient to run the specail effects. I am also using (2)250 gb 7200 harddrives Both drives are set at optimum....help!

Ed Smith July 6th, 2004 03:07 AM

Hi Barry,

It is only possible to do what you are after with Premiere Pro. Are you using Premiere Pro?

If so Open the audio mixer
On the fader associated to the track you wish to add the sound effect, make sure the show/ hide effects triangle (far left handside, towards the top) is set to show. This will bring further options.
In the effects area select the drop down menu. In the menu select the effect you want.

Cheers,

Rob Lohman July 6th, 2004 04:55 AM

It is not okay that Premiere locks up on your system. I would
seriously look into another NLE.

The jittering I think (if I remember correctly, it's been a while
since I used premiere) has something to do with a setting. There
was a setting to smooth out. Something like flicker reduction.
Either as an effect or as a switch/property on the clip (right-click).

Adam Brennan July 6th, 2004 05:10 AM

thanks for the reply Rob,

What would you recommend other than ADOBE. I have had nothing but issues with them on my PC.

Something PC based ot MAC?

What would be the most stablist program you used?

Ed Smith July 6th, 2004 05:11 AM

You will probably need to de-interlace or use fliker removal on the video clip with the motion, in order to reduce the flicker. To do this right click on the clip and choose video options and then select field options. A dialog box will appear either select de-interlace or flicker removal. Render and then play back. You might what to try both to see which one is best.

Premiere should not be locking you computer up freqently. Premiere has been known to be a bit buggy, but to me it sounds as though you have some sort of conflict or possibly if you have anti virus running in the backgound. In order to work this though we would need to know your full computer spec, hardware and software. Please also tell us what settings you are using, and how many video tracks/ effecst you are using. Are there any major errors in Event viewer, or conflicting hardware in device manager?

Thanks,

Charlie Wu July 6th, 2004 05:28 AM

Best set up for premiere pro

i heard that scsi hard drive runs well with win 2000, therefore i first installed 2000 on my 9G IBM scsi hard drive and i used to run premiere 6.5 on the system, it worked well.
since adobe updated some features in Premiere pro, i felt that i should try using it soon. because premiere pro is required to run on XP, i have these questions, please help.

1. is it true that scsi HD works better with 2000? (in a way that the os can take more advantage from the scsi bandwidth)
2. If in the case of using ATA, should i consider RAID to boost performance?
3. about RAID, can i install OS on RAID HDs?
4. My motherboard has both ATA, and SATA RAID controller, can i use the onboard controller, as SATA controller to upgrade to SATA as main HDs?
5. i got the scsi control card from my friend, it's kinda old, but i didn't see much changes in SCSI, is my ultra2 wide card still good? or should i abandon it?
6. what would be my ideal set up?

MY PC Config:
ASUS p4p 800 D
1G mem
P4 2.4 with HT
Adaptec AHA-2940U2W control card
IBM 9G
WD Special ED 80G
WD Special ED 120G
Dual boot 2000/xp (2000 on scsi/ xp on EIDE

Glenn Chan July 6th, 2004 06:07 AM

1- Pretty sure this is no.

2- Not if you're working in DV.

3- Yes. You may need drivers on a floppy.

4- Yes, if I understand correctly. If you want to install XP onto SATA drives then you may need the drivers on a floppy.

5- i got the scsi control card from my friend, it's kinda old, but i didn't see much changes in SCSI, is my ultra2 wide card still good? or should i abandon it?
Depends on what hard drives you wish to get. For video editing work with DV, you probably want AV. The SCSI you have already is good for using as the system drive since (A) SCSI drives typically spin fast (10k/15k rpm) which makes them fast for your OS+applications and (B) by having two drives you avoid a few problems with 2 programs hitting the hard drive while you are capturing or printing to tape.

6- see 5. OS and apps on SCSI, with lots of ATA drives for storage.

David Kennett July 6th, 2004 06:37 AM

Try Ulead Media Studio Pro. You can download a 30 day trial fromtheir website. It's been stable for me on P2-400, P3-900, and P4-3GHz. I think it's very easy to learn.

Rob Lohman July 6th, 2004 06:58 AM

Adam: I would recommend Sony Vegas. Seems to be a lot more
forgiving. It is a bit different in how it operates, but a lot of people
seem to like it (myself included).

You can get a trial from http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com

Adam Brennan July 6th, 2004 09:45 AM

Thanks Rob,

I like Premiere and the way the workflows, but it's agrevatting when you have 45 mins of edited video and plug in special effects such as film bigfx which uses a lot of memory and then decides to lock up half way through the rendering process it really makes you mad.

What I do like about premiere are the availble plug ins.

I do need the plug in to render windows wmv files. I am missing it or do I have to purchase that?

Is the Sony Vegas as enhancement rich as premiere 6.5?

Jule Kaufmann July 6th, 2004 10:01 AM

AE 5.5 AVI render issue.

I got the new premiere pro drivers recently for my canopus M-1 - RT card and i am now able to use prem pro 1.0 but when i went into AE 5.5 Pro i am finding that it is not seeing the canopus RT card anymore, making it impossible for me to work on .AVI files. Has anyone out there had this problem? Are there any known fixes? i am runnning dual 2.2 G Xeons, 1 G ram, Windows XP Pro,
2 120G ide drives partitioned.

Rob Lohman July 6th, 2004 10:06 AM

In my mind it is much more feature rich than Premiere 6.5 and
probably even Pro. For WMV encoding you need the latest
Media Player installed I think. Not sure. I hope someone else
can comment on that "problem".

Rob Lohman July 6th, 2004 10:08 AM

It "smells" like the new driver is not compatible with the older
version of AE. Have you checked to see 5.5 was supported?

Derrick Ellis July 6th, 2004 10:13 AM

Multi-camera in Premiere Pro

This is my first post after lurking here a while so please be gentle with me.

I'm doing some experimentation with the trial version of Premiere Pro before I invest in the real thing. What I want to do is record a musician using two cameras in the following manner:

Camera 2 (canon ZR70) will be in a fixed position on a tripod and capture a relatively wide angle shot of the performer. I will be moving around with camera 1 (Optura 20) catching various angles.

What I want to do is use the footage from camera 2 as "filler" when the angle captured from the moving camera position (camera 1) is unsatisfactory.

Is it as simple as putting the video from camera 1 on video track 1, camera 2 on video track two and then just creating gaps in video track 1 where I want the "cutaway" shot to show? What pitfalls do I need to watch out for?

Also, I will be using the audio solely from camera 2 as it will not be stopping and starting during the performance. Is this the right approach?

BTW, this is not a "live" performance in front of an audience. My friend is just providing me a learning exercise that can benefit him if I do a good job. (demo material to send to record labels, etc.) No money will be changing hands.

I'll appreciate any insight you gurus can provide.

Thanks.

Jimmy McKenzie July 6th, 2004 11:36 AM

You've got it! Sync up both tracks and place your safety cam in track 1. This is also your audio control track. Then, slice the rov cam track to shreds as you edit out the movement from re-positioning and framing. NEVER shut either camera off until tape change or end of session.
Once everything is sync'd up and the crosses and cuts are done, export the audio track out for sweetening: reverb, NR, compression etc.
Drop the audio track back in and you are ready to export.
The camera work is important but most essential is audio capture and lighting.

Derrick Ellis July 6th, 2004 11:54 AM

Thanks Jimmy!!! That's what I needed to know.

Charlie Wu July 6th, 2004 01:15 PM

glenn,

can you explain why #2 is a "no" if my need was for DV?

thanks

Ned Hamilton July 6th, 2004 02:21 PM

Don't bother with SCSI. Your 2 WD drives will be fine.
I'm running 20 Dells with two HDs one 40GB and the other 120GB. They have zero problems with capturing and editing.

Charlie Wu July 7th, 2004 03:39 AM

but speed-wise?

Gary Bettan July 7th, 2004 09:10 AM

1. is it true that scsi HD works better with 2000? (in a way that the os can take more advantage from the scsi bandwidth)
- No

- Yes, but not for your boot drive. We recommend that your system drive not be a raid. For Video a RAID stripe will increase your performance of EIDE, ATA, SATA or SCSi drives.

3. about RAID, can i install OS on RAID HDs?
- As I metnioned earlier, We do not recommend this.

4. My motherboard has both ATA, and SATA RAID controller, can i use the onboard controller, as SATA controller to upgrade to SATA as main HDs?
- Just use a single ATA drive for your c: drive. Install your OS and programs on it. Use the raid for your video storage and projects

5. i got the scsi control card from my friend, it's kinda old, but i didn't see much changes in SCSI, is my ultra2 wide card still good? or should i abandon it?
- do not use it. SCSI negotiated down to the slowest SCSI component in the chain. By using an old slower SCSi controller you will be limiting the performance of all the SCSI drives attached to it.

6. what would be my ideal set up?
- Run the OS off a 7200 ROM EIDE system drive. Then use the Mobo SATA raid controller and stripe a pair of SATA drives for outstanding system throughput.

Gary
Videoguys.com

Kent Metschan July 7th, 2004 12:27 PM

strobe

Not that I would need this effect very often, but I couldn't figure out how to do a strobe effect through premiere. I have Pro and figured it would just be an effect. Any thoughts?

Jacob Walker July 7th, 2004 04:32 PM

Cookie Cutter Effect

I mainly use vegas, but on big projects i use Premiere Pro (version 1.0) For mulitcam shoots in vegas i apply the cookie cutter effect and adjust to taste, but in premiere I can't seem to duplicate that process. I've tried using crop and feather, but what if i want a shape like and oval or arrow like in vegas? How would i achieve this?

Rob Easler July 7th, 2004 04:36 PM

One way woud be to make a matt in Vegas of what you want then drop it in Premiere.

Glenn Chan July 7th, 2004 06:48 PM

Quote:

If you are going to RAID, I assume you will use two drives that are of the same model and capacity. Mismatched drives means you lose capacity and lose performance (which really defeats the point of a RAID, although in some cases it could theoretically be useful). I also assume you are talking about RAID 0, and not the other RAID levels (most of which offer protection against hard drive failure).

What RAID 0 does:
It alternates/stripes data onto both hard drives. This is so that data can be read off both hard drives simultaneously. You can theoretically double the rate at which data is transferred off your hard drive. Please note that this does not double hard drive performance.

Performance of RAID 0 vs just one hard drive varies a lot and depends highly on what you want out of your hard drive. The RAID controller you are using also makes a big difference. For desktop/home user/workstation use, typically your main problem is program loading times. RAID 0 offers little performance gains (and is many cases *decreases* performance) at a high cost. Generally speaking it is never worth it for that usage.

File/web/database servers are different.

For some programs, your hard drive is used as a scratch disk when you run out of RAM. RAID 0 would help here, but it makes sense to get more RAM in the first place.

If one drive in the RAID fails, all your data is lost. Some data recovery may be possible, but it may be much more expensive than usual. Also, the RAID controller you use can also give you problems- quite a few of the on-board RAID controllers on motherboards have problems (i.e. data corruption).

DV:
Performance-wise, RAID makes very little difference. Any somewhat modern 7200rpm hard drive will have more than enough speed for DV editing. In a few special cases, RAID does give improved performance:

A- File copies. In some situations you will run into this. However, file copies are generally fast. You'd also get better performance by copying from one hard drive to another, instead of copying a file on a RAID to itself.

B- Very simple renders. This is just like A to a lesser extent. In Vegas, RAID might make a few percent difference when you are just rendering the color corrector filter. That's not much!

C- Your system can get so many streams of real-time that your hard drives can't catch up. DV needs roughly 3.6MB/s of sustained transfer. Your hard drive/RAID's sustained transfer rate should be roughly three times that, since your hard drives waste a lot of time moving the heads back and forth (no data is transferred when that happens).

Splitting your video files onto 2 seperate hard drives will give better performance for this scenario, but it gets harder to manage footage that way.

Other formats:
You may need some sort of RAID to get the sustained transfer rates needed to edit the format in question (uncompressed, HD, etc. etc.).

2-
Quote:

what would be my ideal set up?
My previous answer is inappropriate as I do not know how fast your combination of adapter card + SCSI drive should be. It depends a lot on how good the SCSI drive is.

Loren White July 8th, 2004 08:01 PM

Premiere Pro Problem

Out of no where I suddenly cant edit clips in the cropping moniter.. Its just a white screen whenever I try to view clips in that moniter. I tried reinstalling... Any other ideas?

Rob Lohman July 9th, 2004 01:11 AM

Which version of Pro are you running? Did you install/upgrade to
the latest version of Pro? I assume you also rebooted your
computer at least once?

Saturnin Kondratiew July 9th, 2004 01:39 AM

sys specs

p4 3.1ghz
1 gig ram
120gig
40gig
win xp
premiere pro
cd burner
ati 9800pro

works like a charm

Ed Smith July 9th, 2004 03:11 AM

Hi Kent,

PP has a strobe light effect in the stylize video effects folder. You can then adjust the parameters in the effects control window where needed.

Is this what you are after?

Thanks,

Kent Metschan July 9th, 2004 08:20 AM

I've tried that but unless I'm not setting the parameters correctly I don't think that's what I want. I swear the effect is called strobe. It's where you see every 5th frame or so and seems to be used on every city access channel show. The strobe "light" effect has that flashing light like a club.

Glenn Gipson July 9th, 2004 11:25 AM

Premiere & Store-bought PCs

Can I just walk in to any computer store and blindly buy a PC for Premier without having to worry about hardware conflict issues with the software??

Steven Gotz July 9th, 2004 02:36 PM

Pretty much any PC that you can buy new today will have Windows XP and enough power to run Premiere Pro. Just make sure you get one that has a video card with the capability of supporting GPU effects, and make sure it comes with a 1394 firewire connector.

Glenn Gipson July 9th, 2004 03:38 PM

Oh good, so I wouldn't have to worry about whether or not this motherboard, or that motherboard works with Premiere?

Steven Gotz July 9th, 2004 06:44 PM

Only if you are going to buy a fancy capture card. Then you need to check to see what is compatible with Canopus or Matrox.

But not with Premiere Pro as long as you go Intel, or an AMD with SSE instruction set, which they all have now, I believe.

Glenn Chan July 9th, 2004 09:47 PM

You might need a minimum of 512MB RAM. I don't use Premiere Pro often but your system will probably run smoother with a minimum 512MB of RAM. The Adobe site recommends 1GB?

2- I'd probably get a PC off monarchcomputers.com if living in the States. They charge you street prices for parts plus a $50 build fee, and have an excellent resellerratings.com rating. I have no experience buying from them however.

Advantantages
Good price. The DIY route is cheaper (you can get better street prices off newegg.com and save on the build fee- not worth it IMO). Some of the OEM computers can also be cheaper, but only on the low to midrange end.

The main advantage of getting a custom-built computer is that you get to choose whatever quality parts you want in your computer. If you ask on forums like this one you can get a lot of information on what parts to get (remember to post your needs, like whether you need DVD burning and what your budget is and how much storage you need and what you're trying to do).

After that, you get a few advantages from not having to deal with the BS that comes with OEM computers:
1- poor technical support. see dell's resellerratings.com rating
2- proprietary parts. Proprietary motherboards limit your upgrades, and proprietary power supplies makes fixing failing power supplies a PITA (power supplies fail occaisionally, but not very often).
3- OEM computers come bundled with lots of unnecessary software. Norton AV can slow your computer dramatically. Use alternatives.
4- Limited expansion. Some like the Dell 2400 and 4600 limit you to two hard drive bays (you can jury rig more). The 2400 line doesn't have an AGP slot, has 3 PCI slots, and only 2 RAM slots

My general recommendation for a DIY/custom computer would be:
Good case with quality power supply- Antec 3700AMB is great (comes with honestly rated 350W PSU), followed by 3700BQE (quieter, more expensive)
Pentium 3.0"C" 512kb cache (don't get the prescott, which has 1MB cache and may be labelled 3.0E) 2.8, 3.2, 3.4ghz models also good.
1GB RAM- You are fine with the cheapest stuff. Brand name RAM like Crucial, Corsair, Mushkin, and Kingston are also good (better warranty and support, less likely to be bad). Do not pay the premium for crazy enhanced latency or overclocking RAM (waste of money).
DVD burner- Nec 2510a, sony, Pioneer, Plextor make good models.
dual monitor video card (I prefer Nvidia) + dual monitors (flat CRT or thin bezel LCDs- ask for recommendations)
Large hard drive(s)- I like the Hitachi 250GB 7k250 (just need one)
mouse + keyboard - whatever works, but MS mouse + keyboard OEM seem fine.
Sound card: M-Audio Revolution 7.1 if you want a decent card for mixing; avoid Creative! *most computer builders may not give you this option of going with the m-audio.
Speakers: most of the consumer stuff is not accurate and inappropriate for mixing. Get Jay Rose's book on audio postproduction and you'll have a good idea of what you'll need. If you have good sound going in and want good sound going out, then go ask the audio forum. Check the audio forum here.

software- winXP Home/Pro, Ultramon for dual monitors (I find this necessary with Premiere Pro- try the trial), maybe antivirus + firewall depending on your needs.

Matthew de Jongh July 9th, 2004 11:31 PM

i keep wishing there was a better way to jump between the fixed camera and the handheld camera tracks.

how does everyone else do it?

assuming you have two angles that were filmed as one uncut shot each and you put them on two timelines above/below each other...

does everyone else just do a cut and flip/flop back and forth between which one you want to use for the active video track?

it just always seems that there must be a better way.

i guess if there was a way to make the video tracks active/inactive on a cut by cut basis you could make your cuts but still be able to change back later vs. making the entire video track inactive.

i mean sure you could take the video track you aren't currently using and put it into a track that is just for inactive...i guess i don't do enough multi-camera stuff to feel comfortable enough doing it this way.

matthew

Loren White July 10th, 2004 04:05 AM

Thanks for the help..
however i'm an idiot at times.
I had the moniter on Alpha..

hah.

Debbie Gillespie July 10th, 2004 12:33 PM

Newbie Needs an assist...

Greetings all.... first post...

I've been lurking around for a bit now trying to find my answers w/o pestering you guys (you're doing far more advanced things than I am!) but I'm getting frustrated now so figured I'd just post :)

I just received a GL2 as a b-day gift -- WOW! As well as Adobe Premiere Pro...

I love taking videos... home movies/nature movies...

I've ordered some books to assist me with PPRO but it'll be another week before they arrive.

I made a short video of the sky above our home on the 4th of July that includes a full double rainbow, with sheet lightning, and fireworks (the yard was amazing that night!) and I of course want to share it on the web...

My AVI video is perfect.... good color great quality etc. (we wont discuss the camera holder or the fact that the cam was in easy mode lol) but it's 835MB...

My web version is terrible. It's small enough but the quality leaves a LOT to be desired. I've saved this thing so many times now (which takes forever) and nothing is quite working out.

Can anyone offer me a recommended preset (or custom) to save this video in? I'd prefer something that would play in windows media viewer but if it comes down to it..I can also go with RealMedia...

There's soooo many options and so far my clicking around isn't getting me results... I just want something 30MB or less with the best quality it can muster up (realizing it wont be perfect).

Here is the poor quality version of the video...
http://www.picolio.com/Video/Natures...elebration.wmv

Thoughts? Help?

Thanks in advance!

Deb

(p.s. I've really enjoyed reading these forums..you guys/gals are fantastic!)