DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/688-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2004-a.html)

K. Forman July 10th, 2004 04:37 PM

Howdy neighbor! You need to give us a little more info, such as the length of the video, and what NLE you currently use. Premiere has Cleaner, which will help you with presets. Lowering the frame rate, and making it smaller will cut size. Say, 320x240 and 15 fps.

Debbie Gillespie July 11th, 2004 02:59 AM

Hiya!

The video is 3mins and 40 secs long...
I believe it's standard 38? NLE DV/IEEE1394?
I wanted to confirm this but suddenly Adobe started locking up as soon as I plugged my camera in :/
(I'll try again after some sleep)

I saved it with
File -> Export -> Adobe Media Encoder -> WM9 NTSC 512k Download

We just put together another one of the flowers/sky/etc that my daughter had filmed by the pond...'tons of interval shots'. Again, I'm pleased with the quality of the AVI but not quite as pleased with the compressed web version... maybe it's just me... :dunno:

Here's the "time lapse" one...
http://www.PicOlio.com/Video/TimeIsRelative.wmv

Maybe later we'll practice holding the camera still :P

Richard Huff Webb July 12th, 2004 07:39 PM

multicamera

Hey Derrick, What Jimmy said.

We also do concerts and multicamera, but are just getting used to the editing. Multicamera is nice for fading into a close up of a musician doing a riff. Sync can be done easily using a visual or audio cue or both, like a person clapping in front of a mike.(preffered)
I use Premiere 6.5 which has only one place to put a transition, so I use the upper tracks for multicamera work. I have heard rumor that you Pro users can place a transition in between any track.

Anyway, like Jimmy says, place the video from the stationary camera in track 1 , with the other camera(s) occupying the upper tracks. In 6.5 all upper tracks will supercede the tracks below, which allows you to use the razor knife to "slice and dice" the upper tracks while leaving the main camera track in place. (also, you may want to look at the lower tracks while leaving the upper ones in place, so just de-delect the eye icon on the left of upper video track so you can see the lower one) It is quite easy to select the clip for deletion that you just cut with the razor. If you need a little more or less of the upper clip that now remains, you can stretch or shrink or move it to your liking after deleting the part preceding. Razor cut your desired out point, and there you are.
By keyframing the upper tracks, you can effectively create a dissolve between tracks, just like you would do with an audio fade. If I want a specials transition, like a wipe, I have to bring the clip down to track A or B and put the transition in between.

As you practice, you will find all kind of creative ways of making things look like you had cameras all over the place. I have shot musicians entering onto the stage from a camera back stage, and then dissolved from that view into a front view from a completely different song. Have you ever noticed how many cameras Austin City Limits has in their production. Must be nice to have a mega budget.

Richard
Sweetwater Productions

Jimmy McKenzie July 12th, 2004 09:52 PM

Bingo! If your second camera operator is quick with the framing and keeps a steady stream of different content coming with an eye for "get the good stuff at all times" then you are very fortunate. Then, you (the safety cam operator) can get a little creative with a few blast zooms or tight shots on the various performers, creating an editing environment that appears as though 3, 4 or even more cameras were deployed at the event!
But err to the cautious side of the edit bay ... you need a safety shot at all times to fall back on when your second unit is re-positioning...
Well stated Richard...

Chris Adams July 14th, 2004 01:35 AM

Problems Capturing DV in Premier Pro

Has anyone else had a problem capturing DV with Premier Pro 7? When I try to capture footage from my Panasonic NV-DS1, the video looks blocky and tears across it. The audio seems to be fine. My camcorder records in PAL format and I have tried all kinds of settings including NTSC and custom settings with the same results.

I also have Pinnacle and Ulead software installed on my system which captures the DV footage fine.

My PC is a AMD 2000+ with 1Gb memory. 120Gb 7200 Hdd, ATI All-in-Wonder video, IEEE 1394 and USB2. I use the IEEE 1394 to capture the DV.

Although I could use a different program to capture the DV, I would like to resolve this issue and use only the Premier Pro. Thanks in advance for any help you might give me. I don't look good with greying hair.

Rob Lohman July 14th, 2004 04:29 AM

Is the upgrade to Pro 1.5 free? If so I would go to that version.
I heard it fixed a LOT of problems. Otherwise you can try one
of the external programs like Scenalizer or CapDV (WinDV?).

Alex Milne July 14th, 2004 08:05 PM

Online download of premiere for $60??? a scam?

hi- I was just surfing and came up with a site claiming to supply online dowloads of Adobe Premiere for only $60. Is this a scam?
here's link- http://www.flashcorpsoftware.com/adobe.php#Premier

thanks
-alex

Scott Balkum July 14th, 2004 08:25 PM

This is from their website.

"If anything on this site is illegal in any way, shape, or form, then we are unaware of it. Neither us nor our host will be responsible for it. All backup devices are for personal use and should only be used in a legal way"

That's all you need to know.. It is illegal software.

Alex Milne July 14th, 2004 08:32 PM

hmmmm, thankyou...I thought something smelled wrong.

Scott Balkum July 14th, 2004 08:32 PM

Even better quote

"Our products can not be registered with the software company however this will not effect the use of the program in any way. If you are needing some support, we recommend you buy some cheap tutorials off of sites such as ebay, they will usually run around $20.00"

I am not sure how these people still have a functioning website.
Reading their Terms of Service is outright funny. Especially the part about chargebacks being fraud and how they will contact the FBI on you if you do... heh... some people.

Chris Adams July 15th, 2004 06:28 AM

Thanks for the information. To be honest, I'm not sure if the upgrade is free or not. I would hate to think that I spent this much money on Premier Pro and had to pay again to fix any bugs in the software. I will do a little research on the software you spoke about.

Peter Jefferson July 15th, 2004 11:28 AM

u want Pixelans Step Time plugin and run a preset called Pulse on Stills

in here u can also adjust fade range, tempo, frame etc etc etc
Works great :)

Peter Jefferson July 15th, 2004 11:34 AM

Progressive capture, Edit and Output with Premiere

Hey all,
I have an Italian friend who requires some assistance with Premiere. As i am a Vegas User, i dont want to steer him the wrong way, so im hoping some of u "Pro" users can assist.

Ive translated his questions as best i could so please try to keep the answers in Basic English (or Italian if you speak it) as he may have some trouble absorbing the english jargon

thanx guys
Pete
------------------------------

Hi Guys,
Im an Italian DVX100 user who is in PAL land, and im wanting to capture my footage and edit using Premiere.
I have some questions im hoping someone can answer.

1) Can someone please tell me the correct procedure to capture and export 25p material using premeiere?
(or using the best softwere for that operation)

2) Must I capture using no fields? Or do I capture with "lower field first" Whereby I would deinterlace in Post and blend fields in Progressive?
What are the ideal settings for progressive capture and editing?

3) After editing, i author my DVD. Now will this DVD have that annoying flickering problem on my TV? Or is this a thin/thick detail setting on the DVX camera?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Gabrielle

Kent Metschan July 15th, 2004 02:06 PM

Awesome. I'll try that.

Lloyd Coleman July 15th, 2004 06:32 PM

In Premiere Pro effects look in the 'Time' folder and apply the 'Posterize Time' effect. Adjust the frame rate down (probably 2-6) and see if that is what you are looking for.

David Hurdon July 16th, 2004 09:37 AM

No Device Control in Premiere 6.5 - new XP Laptop

I didn't expect to be back in this situation after four years of non-linear editing, but I'm stumped. I recently bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop with XP Media Centre. It has every connection known, including firewire, of course, and I can't get Premiere to recognize my camcorders (Sony VX2000 and a D-8). I can configure device control for the VX2000 but it stubbornly remains offline. Given the Media Centre is all about digital imaging, this is frustrating. Even MovieMaker doesn't see a camcorder connected. I've forgotten most of what I knew about troubleshooting this issue, it's been so long since I had it. Any suggestions welcome.

David Hurdon

Ed Smith July 16th, 2004 12:31 PM

Hi david,

I would not really use Win MCE as an NLE. I know that its built on the Win XP Pro platform, but for me its just far to risky, with the amout of bugs MS manged to put in the software. Any way saying that it should in theory work. To start trouble shooting:

1) When you connect your sony camera via firewire does Win MCE detect it? It normally says found new device as you connect it. It should also appear in My computer as a device.

2) Does the camera appear in device manager. I think it should appear under imaging devices. If not try and search in all catgorize for a Sony DV device.

3) Does the camera and cable work on another machine running Win XP Pro?

4) Are there any errors in event viewer relating to this?

5) What version of Premiere are you running?

6) Have you updated win MCE to the latest?

Cheers,

David Hurdon July 16th, 2004 01:47 PM

Thanks, Ed. I never had any concern about Media Centre as the O/S on this laptop, but I can't say I researched it either.
1. I hear a chime when I plug in the camera but no new hardware message.
2.No cam in device manager, anywhere, but for the unknown hardware entry.
3. No other XP system available. Has worked two years on win2kpro, two feet away.
4. No errors in event viewer.
5. Running 6.5
6. Update wouldn't run after download. I'm still trying to understand to what degree Toshiba customized Media Centre O/S on these Satellite laptops.
It is indeed frustrating to have the latest technology, slanted toward digital imaging work, and have it fail to perform as well as four-year old systems.

David Hurdon

Frederic Segard July 17th, 2004 10:01 AM

Heavy editing and crashes in PP1.5

I've been editing 3 2-hour long shows using 3 angles. That's a total of 18 hours of footage to go through. I've naturally created one project for each show to make things more managable.

I use Premiere Pro 1.5 with a Matrox RTX100 card with the latest drivers. In the process of editing, I must have crashed, hanged, and corrupted my projects countless of times. Thank god for the various backups I made throughout the process. Anyway, my question is rather simple: Am I the only one that is cursed with crashes, or are most of you riddled with them too, regarless of the OS or NLE you are using?

I followed all the necessary hardware and software requirements required by both Matrox and Adobe. Still, since I have an ASUS based system, would a brand name computer such as a Dell, IBM or an HP workstation be as suceptible to these crashes? Or would they be more robust... and if they do crash - as I suspect most systems do - then it would be on rare occassions?

Anyway, all this to say that I am damned tired of crashing here and there. All I wish for is to edit my videos, as if I were editing a text in Microsoft Word... I mean, I've never crashed Word in my life!

Thanks all!

Glenn Chan July 17th, 2004 01:27 PM

You could check to see if your Matrox card is sharing IRQs, which might lead to problems.

In winxp, go to start --> run --> msinfo32
Look under hardware resources --> IRQs
Is your Matrox card on its own IRQ?

I don't own any Premiere Pro hardware acceleration myself, but IRQ sharing/conflicts seemed to be a problem with the previous generation of acceleration hardware.

Steven Gotz July 17th, 2004 05:27 PM

My system never crashes. But then again, I only use Premiere Pro with a simple firewire connection. My fancy capture card is in the PC, but I don't use it anymore.

Ed Smith July 18th, 2004 08:10 AM

Hi David,

Does a Sony device appear in my computer?
Does the same thing happen for both cameras?

Since no program is able to detect the camera when it is connected, then to me me it sounds as though its a windows problem or that the firewire port is not functioning correctly.

I have manged to connect my canon XL1 upto a friends MCE system, and it detects the camera fine via firewire. I can capture and edit footage in Movie Maker.

You say that you hear a chime when it is connected, but no messages appear. There should be a message that appears in a bubble above the clock that says found Sony AV/C device or something along those lines. Have you got a OHCI ieee1394 device control in device manager? Is it enabled does it show any problems?

Certainly in device manager there should be a device under Imaging devices, that says Sony DV camcorder. When the camera is connected.

Since no program is able to detect the camera when it is connected, then to me me it sounds as though its a windows problem or that the firewire port is not functioning correctly. Maybe send it back to the place you brought it and ask them to check it out if you can't figure it out.

cheers,

Ed Smith July 18th, 2004 08:33 AM

Hi Frederic,

Getting the correct hardware is just 1 step. You will then need to configure Windows, Premiere and Matrox to make it work correctly. Setting these up should be explained in the Matrox Manual.

A few things to look into:

Paging files
Setting windowos to background services
The correctly display resolution
Making sure DMa is enabled
Making sure that no programs/applications are not running in the backgound while editing

Just a few things to look into...

Chris Kelly July 18th, 2004 11:29 AM

Odd skip/sync problem

I have a 30 min clip that I captured from the DVX100A, and when playing/editing in Premiere after about 3 sec of playing, the video skips about a second, and the audio stays, so it total out of sync. If I stop and play again it will be in sync for another 3 sec befor doing it again. I have chcked the AVI file in WMP and it plays just fine no skiping or out of sync audio. It's very odd.. anyone have any ideas? I'm kind of new at this but it's a new install on a 2.8Ghz/1Gig box.

Pat Engh July 18th, 2004 02:07 PM

New Dell XPS / Premiere Pro

Dimension XPS
Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Tech Extreme Edition (3.40GHz, 800 FSB), Microsoft® Windows® XP

Does any one have any sugestions about using this P.C. with Premiere Pro ???

Glenn Chan July 18th, 2004 02:23 PM

1- Isn't that computer ridiculously, ridiculously expensive? Did you buy/have this computer already?

2- What exactly are you looking for? Tips on how to get the performance? Tips on how to make your system more stable? Tips on how to get started with Premiere Pro?

3- You might want to try the Premiere forum here. A moderator here might move this thread...

Pat Engh July 18th, 2004 04:14 PM

Premiere Pro 1.5 Help choosing capture card???

Could someone give me some advice on choosing a card for PP... I'm looking at the Matrox RT.X100 would that be my best bet... looking to spend no more than around 1,500...

Patrick King July 18th, 2004 04:18 PM

Chris (or other Wranglers), I hope this is allowed.

There is a good XP Tweaks page that discusses all the things you can/should do to XP in order to maximize performance for video editing. So is easy, so is advanced.

http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP.html

Another site that discusses XP processes and which may be turned off to optimize performance is blackviper.com. Use with care...your mileage may vary.

Glenn Chan July 18th, 2004 05:53 PM

A lot of those tweaks don't make a noticeable (i.e. meaningful) impact on performance. Of the service tweaks at blackviper, only a few are useful:
A- System restore and file indexing take up meaningful resources. You could disable these things for better performance (I'd prefer leaving system restore on, especially if installing Avid).
B- If your computer is low on RAM, then disabling unnecessary services will free up RAM. You should get more than enough RAM in the first place though (512 or 1gb).
C- The messenger service lets other people spam you. You should have a firewall up to take care of this though.

2- A useful tweak is to keep your computer clear of other programs that take up resources. In particular, go to msconfig and get rid of "realshed" and "qttask" (doing this gives a few % improvement, which actually ain't much). Also get rid of distributed computing applications unless you aren't running hyperthreading.

AV usually slows your system down. Set it scan in the mornings and such, but don't let them scan every file and program you open. Automatic updates are a very good idea.

3- Overclocking is one tweak that does make a major difference.

4- Also make sure your system is clear of bottlenecks. This can do a lot more than the tweaks outlined above. In particular, make sure your hard drives are using DMA mode (not PIO).

5- If you are setting up a new system, you could partition it so that it is setup well for Norton Ghost. Ask if you want details.

Norton Ghost allows you to clone partitions. By putting an old working partition back in place, you can recover from almost anything within ~10 minutes. You can also make a backup of your current partition and use Ghost Explorer in case you are unsure about getting rid of useful files. If you setup Ghost properly, you won't have anything useful saved on your windows partition.

My guess is that Ghost takes ~1hour to set up.

6- Keep an "installs" and "drivers" folder around for all your installers and drivers. This is handy if you want to setup another computer, or if you wish to reinstall your computer. With Dells these folders aren't as useful but it's a good habit to get into.

Glenn Chan July 18th, 2004 06:10 PM

Deinterlacing is used to convert interlaced material to progressive. Your friend should avoid doing that.

When encoding a MPEG2 for DVD, your friend will need to tell the encoder that the material is progressive and not interlaced. Also, make sure the encoder is not trying to deinterlace the footage (slight drop in quality).

Edward Natale July 18th, 2004 11:43 PM

Odd capture problem with Premiere Pro.

Hi all,

I've just bought a new camera and now I'm having strange capture problems in Premiere Pro. The camera is a Samsung SCD27.

Whats happening is that I can not capture an in point to out point. The camera goes a little bonkers playing at slow speed and then I get an error telling me that Premiere can't find the in point and to try increasing the pre roll. Well, I increased the pre roll and still no dice.

First I thought it was my cheapy firewire card so I bought a new Adaptec Fireconnect 4300, but still the problem persists. If I do a down and dirty capture it works fine, but thats a pain in the neck. I'm really looking to solve this problem.

Update: It seems Vegas seems to dislike in point to out point edits as well. Down and dirty capture works fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eddie

Glenn Chan July 19th, 2004 12:27 AM

I have a Samsung SCD55 and it's a piece of crap. The deck control is poor as the camera will lose communication sometimes and can only do a few commands through firewire deck control. You can trick it by pushing the buttons on it to manually cue things up for batch capture... that works with Final Cut Pro. It kind of works with Vegas.

My camera also gets dropouts and has some really annoying quirks that make it bad for capturing.

My model is an old one and hopefully Samsung fixed their deck control issues with the newer cameras. But you could try pushing the buttons on the camera to try to manually cue things up for batch capture. Rewind before the in point and hit play. You might want to turn the display on your Samsung camera so it'll tell you what the camera is trying to do.

2- What do you mean by down and dirty capture?

Edward Natale July 19th, 2004 10:35 AM

Glen,

Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try today.

Down and dirty capture is the term I use for capturing with out using in and out points. You just let the tape roll and hit record in your capture software.

Thanks,

Eddie

David Hurdon July 19th, 2004 04:04 PM

The plot thickens. After 45 minutes at Best Buy's service counter this morning I left with this advice: reinstall the Toshiba software, then try to connect the camera. We had tried a JVC camcorder and as usual my notebook wanted to install the non-existant drivers. It was only when it made the same request of his USB wireless device that he realized this was a sick puppy, not an ignorant client. But here's the kicker. The Toshiba rescue process includes NO option to reinstall non-destructively, as does XP on a desktop. I have to trash every app and all the data I've brought into it over the past ten days just to determine if it's a bad install or a bad laptop. If it doesn't deal properly with the camcorder plug in by firewire after the "repair" they'll give me a new one. Oh happy day. If I could charge somebody for the hours involved I wouldn't have a gripe, but you know who's paying for the time.

David Hurdon

Pat Engh July 20th, 2004 07:07 AM

Hollywood Fx Copper ???

I’m trying to put a transition on a psd file… it’s a logo that I made with a transparent background… When I preview it in Hfx window it looks perfect but when I render it out in Premiere it does not show the transparency, It does the effect only with a white background… I’m guessing that it has something to do with the A/B track on the timeline…

Curtis Barnard Jr. July 20th, 2004 09:52 PM

Premiere 6.5 Compression

What does most everyone do on here for compression for the internet. I want to compress a 40sec. - 1min. video clip into quicktime format, but im not exactly sure what settings i should use.

Thanks-Curtis

Hans Henrik Bang July 21st, 2004 05:03 AM

I had the same problem when I had more than one audio clip on the timeline. Basically if I added an effect to the already existing soundtrack. In that case the sound could become "saturated" - go into clipping.

Solved by reducing the volume of the effects soundtrack.

Hope that was an idea.

Hans Henrik Bang July 21st, 2004 05:35 AM

Quote:

Hmm I'm not sure how to check RAM usage.
Sorry - old post, but just read it.

Under Win XP, press ctrl-alt-del (once!) to get the task manager. That will show you physical memory present and allocated.

David Hurdon July 21st, 2004 05:51 AM

Well, it appears the problem was a bad retail install. After reformatting with the Toshiba rescue disks the notebook immediately recognized the VX2000 and allowed me to capture. I'm still having a bit of a wrestle with Premiere 6.5 though. It will play clips in their own clip window without rendering but in the monitor view the clip stalls fatally. I'm pleased that I didn't buy this unit as my main editing station, but I'll be more pleased when I can edit on the go when I want to.

David Hurdon

Glenn Chan July 21st, 2004 08:36 AM

If you have a PC, your best bet is to download Windows Media Encoder for free and use that. Great quality and compatibility (compatibility isn't perfect though).

If you want to output QT, the pro codecs will give you better results but that costs money. With the stock settings, the following codecs work well:
sorenson3 for video (no reason to use anything else unless you need better backwards compatibility before QT5)

Audio:

IMA 4:1 is lossless on most sounds. The codec assumes that sounds won't change too much and spends less bits encoding material. On highly dynamic sounds (i.e. gunshots) you will hear a difference. Poor compression.

MPEG4 audio is great, but requires QT6. You can adjust bitrate to tradeoff quality vs size. At high bitrates it will be virtually impossible to tell the difference.

Qdesign music is similar to MPEG4 but offers subpar compression. QT3 compatible.

2- Frame size: whatever floats your boat really. 320X240 is the maximum I would ever do.

3- Frame rate: Half fps motion looks smooth to me. I would usually halve the frame rate.

4- Keyframes: Higher means better compression, but too high and you will get degraded video before the next keyframe hits. It's usually ok to leave this on default and it's not worth your time tweaking this IMO.

5- Quality slider: This should be somewhere low, around 11-44 for sorenson3. An alternative is to use the limit bitrate to options, which I have never gotten good results with (feel free to experiment, I was never very thorough with that setting).

I'm not sure how Premiere works again but with QT Pro you get all the options above.