DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/688-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2004-a.html)

Ed Smith May 6th, 2004 02:45 AM

Is there a red cross at the top corner of your preview monitor? Can you see your effect via Preview scrub (Alt while dragging the editline)?

As John has already mentioned it'll probably need to be rendered. Shortcut key for this is normally Return.

Cheers,

Ed

Steven Gotz May 6th, 2004 10:35 AM

I don't know about a transition, but a gaussian blur effect through a track matte would be simple enough. Although a very slight fish-eye lens would make it even more interesting.

Eric Lagerlof May 6th, 2004 11:19 PM

PPro Timeline Blinks out

Whenever I seem to dbl-click (a clip or just about anything) in Premiere Pro the timeline and monitor windows disappear and I have just the blank background page. I can move the cursor down and eventually click and scroll and a slice of the timeline or monitor windows will reveal themselves, but only a slice as I move vertically. I have to close the app and reopen to get my windows back. (Calling up a custom workspace doesn't do the trick.) This has happened on both a RTX100 and a software only system. Any ideas as to why and how to avoid?

John O Brien May 7th, 2004 04:09 AM

Thanks Steven.

Jonathan Stanley May 7th, 2004 10:54 AM

It sounds like what you have is called a redraw issue. I think it is tied to system performance. What type of machine is it running on?

Ed Smith May 7th, 2004 11:37 AM

Also can you list your screen resolution and colour depth. Might have something to do with it?

Eric Lagerlof May 7th, 2004 01:08 PM

This has happened on two different computer systems, with different display cards and monitors. And it has happened only in Premiere Pro. I gather this isn't some sort of common bug???

Eric Lagerlof May 7th, 2004 01:24 PM

Oh, and one system uses an Nvida card, another a Matrox 400. I'm not there now, so I don't know the resolutions or color depths are exactly, except the owner of the RTX100 set it to whatever Matrox asked it to be set to. And they're both fast boxes, AMD 3200+ and I believe the other one is a 64 bit Opteron. I really think this is some sort of software issue (or extremely weird option!!!!)

Tyge Floyd May 7th, 2004 08:01 PM

So, if I reinstall, will I loose the Projects I have been working on in the Projects folder? I guess I should move those to another part of the drive, heh?

Thanks for your help. Most of my questions about Premiere get answered here without posting a thing.

Great site.

Ming Dong May 8th, 2004 09:10 AM

Which transition is this?

Which transition was used on the title of this video?
It appears to be some kind of blur transition. Does PPro have a similar transition?

Thanks!

Steven Gotz May 8th, 2004 12:22 PM

I doubt it is a transition. More likely a keyframed blur. Not a general blur, but a directional blur where the distance of the blur is keyframed from a high number to zero and back to a high number.

Edward Natale May 8th, 2004 07:04 PM

Switching audio track from stereo to mono....

Hey all,

How can I change a stereo track to a mono track in premiere short of exporting a mono file from premiere? The problem is that I mic my subjects with a lapel mic on channel 1, and when I import into premiere I only get audio levels on the left channel.

This seems like it would be a simple thing to do but I cant seem to figure it out.

Thanks,

Eddie

Casey Visco May 9th, 2004 12:04 PM

Steven is correct, keyframing a directional blur's strength (or amount/distance) value will accomplish this. The trick is to find a high enough value for the second keyframe to obscure what the image or text is, so you can do just a short dissolve to the next clip, which would be keyframed backwards from extremely blurred, to no blur.

You could still classify this is a transition, just not one of PPro's built in ones.

Steven Gotz May 9th, 2004 01:40 PM

By the way, I should have mentioned that in Premiere Pro, you can only select 100% (as I recall) for a blur with the slider bar. But you will notice that you can manually type in a much higher number (200%), which gives a much better blur for this putpose.

Ed Smith May 10th, 2004 02:28 AM

Hey Edward,

What version of Premiere are you using?

I think this is how it was done in 6/6.5:

Place your mono audio onto an audio track of the timeline, right click on it and then choose audio options and then select dublicate right/ left depending on what side the audio was recorded on.

I guess if you want to turn a stereo track into a mono, then all you need do is apply the PAN filter and make sure that its either 100% right/left depending on what side you want the audio.

Jonathan Posch May 10th, 2004 08:28 AM

Help! I'm desperate! Premiere Problems

Can someone please help, I'm desperate. I have a short film(uni dissertation) that was mean't to be handed in
today. I have it all finished in the timeline, but when I go back to preview it some of my titles and transition fades have dissappeared, I cannot work out why, all I can get in the manual is something about saving preview files to a folder in
on a separate hard drive dedicated to video, which I have done. There was pink lines in the preview indicator area above the titles that were'nt working, but they dissappeared after I built a preview, so I can't see why they are not working.
Also when I do volume fades on my audio tracks they work fine at first, then after a few minutes they don't work. I'm rendering and building preview's, is there something I'm not doing or doing wrong.

I'm running version 6 on an apple G4 400 with 512meg and a second 80 gig HD 7200rpm for video.

Any Help I'll be forever grateful.

jon

Jonathan Posch May 10th, 2004 09:02 AM

Follow up to Help! I'm Desperate! Premiere Problems

Since I made the last post, I have worked out that the titles that are not playing are offline
(whatever that means) thing is they are in the same folder as the ones that are working. I'm I not storing these properly
(correct folder or something?) the audio fades have just decided to work again, but as for the transistion fades still nothing?

Thanks

jon

Ed Smith May 10th, 2004 11:40 AM

Hi Jon,

Sometimes premiere can get its self in a pickle. On a PC you normally delete/ rename the Prem60.prf file I believe. That will reset all settings in Premiere to default. Or you can normally hold down CTRL+SHIFT key while opening premiere.

Offline normally means that they have disappeared from the normal place where they were.

Could you save the project as a differnt name, when it asks whether you want to keep the preview files say no. Then re-open the newly saved project and build your previews again?

Edward Natale May 11th, 2004 10:51 AM

Ed,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using premiere pro. I found a selection called "breakout to mono clips" but unfortunately its ALWAYS grayed out and unselectable.

Thanks again,

Eddie

Ming Dong May 11th, 2004 10:57 AM

Woot! My first keyframe!

After reading your replies, I looked up "keyframe" in PPro's Online Help. Tried it, and it worked! Thanks!

BTW - You can set the Blur length (in Directional Blur) as high as 1000.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 11th, 2004 03:11 PM

Photoshop CS with Rich Harrington.

I wanted to apprise y'all that VASST has released "Photoshop CS: Essentials for Digital Video" featuring Rich Harrington, which is a nearly 6-hour, 2 DVD9 training product. You can view the product at http://www.vasst.com/dvdproducts/photoshopcs.htm
We're aware of the many training products on Photoshop that are out there, yet this one is unique in it's approach to Photoshop for digital video.
The entire 2 disc set was done/produced on a Mac system, with 3 screens all visible in the set.

DVinfonet users, use the keycode "COMM" to get a whoppin' discount.

Ming Dong May 12th, 2004 12:54 PM

Magic Bullet Movie Looks Plug-in. I like the effect, but...

...render times are atrocious! Think days, not hours.

This is the free plug-in you can download from Adobe after registering PPro.

I tried the various effects and liked "Filmic" the best, so I applied it to a 1hr video.

That was 24 hrs ago, and it is still rendering! System is not "hung" because PPro progress bar is moving, albeit slowly.

This on my P4 2.4/800 with 1GB RAM, and Windows Task Manager is showing 100% CPU usage!

Michael Martens May 12th, 2004 08:49 PM

Archiving Premiere project

I have two one hour instructional videos that occupy about the entire space of my edit hard drive. I need to move on and work on other projects. Since its possible, but unlikely, that these projects would need to revised, I'm wondering if the following method of archiving the project would work.

I plan to save my project files, batch capture lists, titles, graphics, etc on CDROM and dump the actual AVI files as a space saving measure. I figure if I need to ever revise the projects, I could use the batch capture lists to reload the source footage back into Premiere.

Does anyone do anything like this? Will this work or will I run into trouble trying to put the pieces back together. I'm using Premiere 6.5 and a Matrox RTX.10 if that makes a difference.

Michael

Ned Hamilton May 13th, 2004 05:12 AM

If you have been careful to leave the captured avi files where they were captured, it should be a good way to archive. But remember that newer versions of Premiere or some other editing tool may not read your EDL files.

Another way if your budget allows, purchase a FireWire hard drive large enough to hold your entire project, move the files there and store the hard drive somewhere safe.

Ronnie Grahn May 13th, 2004 02:13 PM

You put it on a 1 hour video? That's going to take like a week.
Try it on a 10 sec or 1 minute long clip first and time it.

Johnny Chiang May 15th, 2004 10:42 PM

How to do a 24 style countdown clock in Adobe Premiere Pro or After Effects 6?

Any easy way to do this?

Rich Lee May 16th, 2004 12:09 PM

24pa premiere plugin?

I have herd there is some sort of plugin for 24p advanced footage for premiere. is this true? whats it called?what version of premiere does this work in?

Peter Richardson May 16th, 2004 02:52 PM

"No Importer Found that Supports this File type"

Hi guys--I am trying to import an mpeg2 file that I have on CD into Premiere Pro, but I keep getting this error message: "No Importer Found that Supports this File Type." What gives? Obviously Premiere supports mpeg2,right? thanks for the help,

Peter

Ed Smith May 16th, 2004 02:56 PM

Does it play alright through windows media player? What sort of MPEG 2 file is it? What is its file extension name (*.mp2, *.mpeg, *.mpg....)?

Cheers,

Alexey Ravichev May 16th, 2004 05:21 PM

how to export without recompressing?

This is probably a dumb question but I am absolutely new to Premiere. Here's what I have: I shot my friends birthday and now I am trying to edit it. Since I don't have a list of all scenes with timecode I guess my best option is to capture it all together, right? Then I am trying to break this huge file into smaller ones that contain only one scene, so i put a big file in the timeline and cut it, then select small piece and go to "export movie" trying to save as a separate file. But it looks like premiere starts recompressing it again. I am afraid to lose quality doing this, so I'd appreciate your help. Is my procedure optimal for what I am trying to do? How to make premiere export without recompressing?

Michael Richard May 16th, 2004 05:25 PM

It's called Premiere Pro version 1.5. Should be out soon.

Keith Loh May 16th, 2004 06:07 PM

Try Gspot

Run the movie through this program and it will tell you if you have any codecs missing:

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Rob Lohman May 17th, 2004 05:43 AM

With the latest version of Premiere you can also automatically
break up the clips while capturing (where you stopped and
started the camera) like Vegas and Scenalyzer do. That can be
handy depending on how you want to work.

Premiere should not recompress, but that totally depends on the
following:

1) your version of Premiere

2) your capture settings

3) your project settings

4) your export settings

So tell us what you are doing at those 4 steps and we'll see if
we can figure it out.

Rob Lohman May 17th, 2004 05:44 AM

I doubt it will also run with Media Player. The first question we
need answering is which version of premiere you are running...

Peter Richardson May 17th, 2004 11:11 AM

Hey guys--The file will play in Windows Media Player. I'm running Premiere Pro, I think version 7 (this is just a guess). I believe the file extension was .mp2, and I think we tried changing this to .mpeg hoping it would help, but it didn't. Perhaps we should try different file extensions? Thanks!

Peter

Rob Lohman May 18th, 2004 02:27 AM

You can try .mpg but I doubt it will work. The question is what
kind of MPEG2 file it is. It can be an elementery stream, program
stream or transport stream and I doubt it will read all three forms.

Any chance this came from a digital sattelite / cable source and
is an mpeg2 transport stream? Almost no programs can handle
that format.

Peter Richardson May 18th, 2004 08:47 PM

Thanks for the reply Rob. I'm not sure specifically what kind of .mpeg file it is. It was output from Premiere 6.5 as an mpeg, so whatever Premiere outputs it as would be the format. I'm thinking I will just try to import it into Avid Xpress Pro and transcode it into something else, assuming Xpress Pro can understand it. I will report back with findings.

Peter

Indian Ashfaq May 19th, 2004 12:24 AM

total training

I recommend you to go for the total training program. I heard it's very good. I didn't buy it coze it's too expensive for me.

http://www.totaltraining.com

Ashfaq

Rob Lohman May 19th, 2004 03:09 AM

It should be an elementery stream (only video) or a program
stream (video & audio normally) in that case. Strange Premiere
does not want to read it back. I'm basically out of suggestions
except for a re-install of Premiere (and perhaps Windows).

Good luck!

Peter Richardson May 19th, 2004 12:08 PM

Thanks Rob. I think it is an elementary stream as it only contains video. I tried importing into Avid and it didn't recognize it either. We are going to try importing and transcoding in Cleaner, hopefully that does the trick.

Peter