DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/688-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2004-a.html)

Rob Lohman February 17th, 2004 04:16 AM

Which version of Premiere are you using? Because I've had major
audio problems with the 6.x range when I converted the audio
from 48 khz to 44.1 for example.

So beside the Premiere version it would be interesting to hear
in what format the audio originally is, what your project settings
are and to what audio format you are exporting.

Anthony Claudia February 17th, 2004 04:45 PM

capture as quicktime in premiere

I just did a fresh install of Premiere Pro on an XP machine. I am new to PPro, so I was hoping for some guidance.

How can I capture footage as quicktime, as opposed to the default .avi? I have quicktime installed, so I was hoping that premiere would find the codec by default, however I can only capture as avi from my camera. In the capture options there are no other selections available under "edit mode" etc.

The user manual states that Premiere "uses its own codec" for capture, so additional codecs are not neccesary. I must be misunderstanding this however...I am sure you can capture as .mov?

Alani Heredia February 17th, 2004 06:46 PM

No room to breath in premiere pro?

i just upgraded to premiere pro and coming from 6.5 the windows seem way larger in the new program. im running Pro on a single moniter. is there a way to make them a tad smaller? or have an arrangement that seems more organized?
-thanks

Glenn Chan February 17th, 2004 06:58 PM

Well you could get dual monitors. (need a video card that supports that)

A free options is this:
right click your desktop and go into appearance. You will get a bit more space if you choose Windows Classic mode.

Rob Zeigler February 17th, 2004 07:11 PM

Hi Anthony,

When I first installed Premiere Pro I actually wanted to export something as a QT .mov, but to my dismay it wasn't listed as an option.

After some research I found out, for some reason, that I actually had to reinstall the latest version of QT from Apple's site (which I believe was and still may be 6.4), before Premiere Pro would recognize it as an export option.

Granted, I know you're trying to import, but you may want to look into attempting a fresh install of Quicktime in order for Premiere Pro to recognize it as an alternative for it's native codecs.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Edward Troxel February 17th, 2004 08:44 PM

The only program I know of that captures into a Quicktime MOV file on a PC was EditDV/Cinestream.

Glenn Chan February 17th, 2004 08:52 PM

Scenalyzer will also do it I believe.

Not sure why you want to capture in QT though...

Bryan McCullough February 17th, 2004 10:01 PM

What window are you referring to?

Just about everything in Premiere can be resized and moved whereever you want it.

Though, I still can't imagine editing on a single monitor.

Ed Smith February 19th, 2004 09:08 AM

This is a known problem with all NLEs how ever some handle it better than others. An easy way around this is to a 2 frame fade at the end of 1 clip and the beginning of the other. This is made worse by the audio sample rate as Rob has mentioned and how loud/ busy the orginal source is.

hope this helps,

Ed

Chris Gordon February 19th, 2004 04:55 PM

Several questions about HDV editing/Adobe Premiere Pro

Two questions for anyone with some expertise and detailed answers:

1) What is the easiest and least expensive way to import the m2t files from the JVC HD camera into Adobe Premiere Pro? Aspect HD looks good but it's overkill (and too expensive) for simply moving the files into Premiere Pro. Can anyone suggest links to a good demuxing program that can accomplish this?

2) Does anyone have a process for reducing the chroma noise from the m2t footage in Premiere Pro WITHOUT having to buy a chroma noise filter plug in? (I know that Premiere Pro has a pretty decent color correction system.)

Thanks in advance!

-Chris Gordon

David Newman February 19th, 2004 07:00 PM

For users who don't need the real-time performance of Aspect HD, CineForm provides Connect HD. Connect HD's HDLink tool captures and converts (on the fly) from M2T into a robust AVI format. Edits can be performed on basically any PC package form Premiere Pro to VirtualDub. CineForm customers using Premiere are welcome to the chroma noise filter we have developed (beta version available of this filter.) This package is available for $499.

Peter Robert February 19th, 2004 07:21 PM

any other ways which cost less than $499?

David Newman February 19th, 2004 07:37 PM

Nothing that is as easy and as fast as the CineForm products. ;)

Rob Lohman February 20th, 2004 05:53 AM

I'm not sure if Premiere does this, but Vegas automatically does
a 1 or 2 frame (not sure which one) audio fade between audio
cuts to remove such issues. I've never had a audio problem thus
far in Vegas. Even when converting from 48 khz to 44.1 for CD
use.

Heath McKnight February 20th, 2004 08:55 AM

There are other solutions, like using the notorious JVC NLE software. But so far, CineForm has a lot of success.

Ulead has a plug-in that comes with their NLE.

heath

Tyler Gred February 22nd, 2004 07:42 PM

Digital Media Training vs. Total Training for Adobe...

Any one have any comments they'd like to share on either of these products? I am thinking about buying one and I am leaning toward the Digital Media Training simply due to cost. However in the Total Training looks to have a couple of more sections. One called "Working with Multi-Cam & “Bleach” Revisited". Is it worth the extra money to get that section? Is Total Training much more in depth that the extra money is worth it? I was also looking at getting the After Effects DVD from Digital Media Training. Is it worth the money? I asked this question in the Adobe forums, but thought I'd try here also. Any comments on either of these products will be most appreciated.

Course Overview for Total Training Premiere Pro

Course Overview for Digital Media Training

Chris Gordon February 23rd, 2004 01:23 AM

Found a temporary solution

I imported the files from my camera using the JVC HD capture utility... then opened the files using the Moonlight-Elecard MPEG player... I then trimmed one frame off each file, which allowed me to resave the files in MPEG2 format... then created a 1280 X 720 square pixel project in Adobe Premiere Pro.... then imported the MPEG2 files into Premiere Pro.

I could view the files in real-time in the source monitor, but of course I had to render the sequence to be able to see it play. The biggest pain is having to render the final sequence to see any changes that I had made to it.

For output, I encoded the sequence into a Windows Media 9 file. I could notice a slight loss of quality when I played the files in my HD Plasma, but the quality is still HD. (There is more pixelation and artifacting.) I had to export in 720 24p because I didn't see a setting for 720 30p in the WMP9 encoder.

I will probably break down and eventually pony up the $1K+ for Aspect HD for Premiere Pro because of the Real-Time features and the "visually lossless" quality of the output. (Can't afford it after buying the camera, the laptop and the HD Plasma TV in the same month.) But for now, the $20 moonlight elecard software and long render times will have to do.

-Chris Gordon

JVC HD Camera with Win XP 3GHz-HT Laptop.

Peter Robert February 23rd, 2004 01:33 AM

hi gordon,

did you try to encode the timeline to mpeg2 720 30p by the mainconcept which was builtin premiere pro? then you could use vlc to convert the mpg file to ts file. with ts file, you can export it to hd1 or d-vhs recorder. the quality is good.

Mark Jefferson February 23rd, 2004 10:05 AM

Before spending all that money, you should check out www.wrigleyvideo.com. Excellent tutorials, all free. The Forum is really helpful there (I'm slakrboy).

I've learned everything I know about Premiere there, and I think I know that product very well. The link is:

www.wrigleyvideo.com

Cheers,
mark Jefferson

Tyler Gred February 23rd, 2004 10:08 AM

Thank you I will check this out.

Mike Posehn February 23rd, 2004 12:45 PM

How to set Media Encoder to 30p

Gordon,
I, too, wanted WM9_720_30p output and didn't see a preset in the Adobe Media Encoder list. It took me a while to discover how to make one...

1) Select the WM9_720_24p preset
2) Click on "Target 1" in the summary pane
3) Change the frames per second from 24 to 29.97
4) Save this as a new preset.

I don't know whey they didn't include one in their list.

Jeremy Greive February 23rd, 2004 01:25 PM

Beginner needs Premiere Pro help

Hi Guys,

I need some help with Premiere Pro. Have searched other threads but can't find an answer.

I have been using Premiere 6 for capturing and editing. I have given some of my footage to a friend who uses Premiere Pro. When viewing the footage in Windows Media Player or Premiere 6 it looks fine but when we view it through Premiere Pro it is extremely distorted.

I have checked all the settings in Premiere Pro and they appear to be correct. (Using an old Panasonic NV-DX100 - Standard PAL)

Image Size - 720 X 576 (4:3)
Pixel Depth - 32
Time base - 25 fps
Display Format - 25 fps Timecode
Audio - 48000 Hz
Pixel Aspect Ratio - D1/DVPAL (1.067)
Fields - Lower Fields First
etc.

I have tried modifying the above settings with no success. Can someone please point us in the right direction.

Thanks
Jeremy

Goran Hanzek February 25th, 2004 02:52 AM

PremierePRO to DSR-11 export problem

I have a problem with playback on my DSR-11 deck when playing clips previously exported from PremierePRO (with "export to tape" command). Deck stops at certain timecode values and starts rewinding the tape (I believe problem is not in timecode - it is continuous). It happens on all DSR-11 decks (we have 3 of them), while on DSR-1500P decks playback is normal. We are using Sony PDV-124 & 184 DVCAM tapes. Similar thing happens with mini DV tapes used in JVC camera, but I guess this problem is related to camera (but in this case DSR-11 also can't play tape while DSR1500P can).

Michael Estepp February 25th, 2004 12:19 PM

capturing 2 seperate audio tracks?

Hey folks,
Im using the PDX 10 and when I capture audio, I have two channels.... one with the interview and one with nothing. I am capturing via firewire, and it is mixing both the channels. There has got to be a way to seperate these channels in capture, or why have the 2 channel feature. RIght?

Michael Estepp

Rob Lohman February 25th, 2004 05:08 PM

I'm assuming you are viewing it through the small preview
monitors in Premire? Those aren't meant to "judge" footage.
You should judge the final output render to a file which you
playback in something other then your NLE, like WMP for example.

I'm thinking it is more of an annoyance when you are editing?

Juan Parra February 25th, 2004 06:39 PM

it might be your capture settings for audio. check it out...

Ignacio Rodriguez February 25th, 2004 07:04 PM

What software are you capturing to? By default FCP captures both channels. You can easily erase the soundbyte for the track that contains no sound in the timeline if you want.

However, I would recommend using both channels bridged when taping: set manual level and a higher level on one channel than the other. Thus you don't suffer from the variations in gain introduced by AGC and you can fall back to the lower gain channel in post if you overload the higher gain channel. This trick also effectively enhances the resolution of your resulting audio if you mix both channels... you end up with better than 16 bit performance (assuming your NLE can do 24 bit audio). I rarely do this becasue I usually use a lav or handheld shotgin on channel 2 and the cam's built in mic on channel 1, but I have tried it a couple of times and does work.

Boyd Ostroff February 25th, 2004 08:20 PM

How are you recording? With the on-camera mike? Do you have it switched to go into both channels? Otherwise you will only record on one channel. What happens if you remove the XLR box and record in stereo with the built-in mikes? Do you get both channels that way?

There is a known bug on the PC whereby stereo channels are not imported correctly on the PDX-10. This thread has some info.

Michael Estepp February 26th, 2004 12:51 AM

I recoreded with a lavalier mic into an xlr input... so only one channel has the audio. Im also using premiere pro

Kent Diamond February 27th, 2004 12:09 AM

I bought the Total Training sets for Premiere Pro and After Effects. I like them. I tried the reading Classroom in a Book. Too tedious. Had better luck going through the DVDs. Lots of information presented quickly.

I have not know anything about Digital Media Training.

I've looked at some of the wrigleyvideo stuff. I found them good for how to do one specific thing. I did not find them useful for a general introduction and overview of the program.

My 2 cents worth.

Alex Raskin February 29th, 2004 07:28 AM

PremierePro: hardware-controlled audio sliders?

In PremierePro, there's a great audio interface that allows for the real-time slider controls.

Unfortunately, these controls are only mouse-based, so it is impossible to really do the mix in real time (or perform the spacial sound "position" shifting using PPro's 5.1 channel ability).

There's a workaround, of course: one can make rough adjustments live, then work with the keyframes individually on the timeline... with obvious drawbacks.

So... is there an external mixer that interfaces with PremierePro and allows for the real-time audio adjustments while the timeline is playing?

Ron Bird March 1st, 2004 06:43 AM

I suspect you are seeing a known problem with the PDX10 that appears to occur with most capture programs when capturing at 48K That is, the mixing of both channels when they should be stereo/separate. Suggest you try capturing with Scenealyser (trial available) to prove the point. NB: the problem does not occur with 32K (another way to prove the point).

Both Scenealyser and FCP do capture both channels separately at 48K whilst Vegas, Pinnacle, Premiere, et al, mix them together. This problem seems confined to the PDX10. Sony are not able to explain why this occurs with the PDX10 and some capture programs and not others. Apparently this does not occur with other Sony cameras. My other Sony (TRV120) captures fine at 48K in Vegas and Pinnacle.

My theory is it something to do with the PDX10 DVCam capability and a shortcoming in some of the capture programs but its just a theory!

Lets know how you get on.

Bret Pritchett March 2nd, 2004 12:22 AM

finished my computer - Premiere isn't working right

I finally finished the computer I'm putting together for editing. I copied all of the videos I've been working on from my laptop to the computer. I loaded up Adobe Premiere 6.0 and when I tried to play a project the video was choppy (showing a single frame every second or so) and there was no audio. I can click down on the mouse and drag across the timeline and have audio and fluid video, but not when its just playing.

I have Premiere 6.0
Windows 2000 Pro
P4 2.8
768 ram (a 512 and 256)
Saphire ATI radeon 9600mb video card
Windows is on a 40gb Westen Digital
and Premiere is on a 120gb Maxtor (with 8mb buffer)

I really don't understand this. The video looked ok on my laptop and it only has 1.3ghz and i think 256 ram

is there some sort of codec i need if its on windows 2000?

Or is there a conflict because I edited the videos on an XP and then transfered it to a 2000?

thanks,
Bret

Glenn Chan March 2nd, 2004 01:39 AM

Well Premiere 6.x and under isn't all that great since it's buggy and is somewhat fundamentally flawed (you have to do several commands to do simple things and it'll let you lose sync). It can work fine though too. You should definitely get all the patches for it.

As for your question... is Premiere trying to play video to a DV deck/camera? Does the media match the sequence setting?

Ed Smith March 2nd, 2004 03:51 AM

Have you got a DV camera connected while you playback your timeline?

ED

Bret Pritchett March 2nd, 2004 12:46 PM

nope, no camera is hooked up. All the video I'm editing are files on the hard drive.

Ed Smith March 2nd, 2004 01:32 PM

Hi Bret.

The reason I asked because you normally see this sort of thing with a DV camera attched.

If thats not the problem then it could be 1 of 2 things:

1)Your Hardrive is not keeping up with the speed required to playback DV. Or your system is not keeping up. Are there any errors in your event viewer relating to Harddrive or system?

2)A setting has been pushed somewhere in premiere. I suggest that you reset premiere to factory defaults. this is done by holding down Ctrl+shift while opening up premiere.

I would also suggest that you put the 6.02 patch on.

Cheers,

Ed

Bret Pritchett March 2nd, 2004 11:21 PM

I'm not receiving any errors and I think the hard drive should be fine. Its a maxtor 120 with 8mb cached buffer. My laptop never had problems and I doubt it had any more than a 2mb buffer on the hard drive.

I reset the factor settings and still nothing. Then I downloaded the patch and got nothing again.

any ideas?

thanks again,
Bret

Char Siu March 3rd, 2004 02:53 AM

Premiere Pro duplicate clips conniption?

Hey all. Please bear with me. I'm going to describe what I think is the state of things, and I'd appreciate if anyone could correct any misconceptions I have, or provide alternative methods.

Back in the halcyon days (what does that mean, anyway?!?) of Premiere 6.5, you could capture a whole tape, thereby saving your poor pathetic excuse for a DV deck (i.e. your camera) from premature wear, and then cut the resulting big clip into subclips by marking an in and out and then duplicating the clip. Not as elegant as logging or using scene detection, but a reasonable approach.

With PPro, however, the duplicate function doesn't seem to work the same way. First of all, you can't invoke the duplicate command directly from the Source window. Instead, you have to mark your in and out, then select the clip in the project window and do the duplicate. Suck!

Second, your duplicate clip may not even keep the proper in and out point, so you end up with a bunch of duplicates that aren't really subclips, or at least not the ones you intended. Double suck!

Finally, when you make that duplicate clip, it considers this new "thing" you made to be a completely new clip, and conforms the audio of the clip. But I mean, the *whole* clip, not just the subclip part. So if you have a 4Gb AVI and you chop it into 20 clips, your harddrive is going to end up filled with 20 versions of the conformed audio for the entire 4Gb clip. Triple suck!

So now I'm left with a couple work-arounds:

(1) In the original big clip, put a marker at the start of each scene so you can access each scene relatively easily. The problem is that you now can't reasonably use clip markers to mark spots inside each scene.

(2) Make a new sequence for each "subclip." One sequence per subclip. Now you can work with the sequences as if they were proper subclips (including using markers), but you have to remember to CTRL-double-click the sequence in the project menu in order to view it in the Source window.

So clearly this is a sad state of affairs. (Clearly, right? Right?!?) Am I missing something, or what the !@#$?!?

(BTW, in case you're wondering why I don't just use scene detection, it's because the video came on a DVD, and plus PPro's scene detection quadruple sucks. And just so you know, I don't have the $$$ for Scenealyzer at the moment!)

Any ideas, folks? Thanks!

Char Siu March 3rd, 2004 03:14 AM

A solution found...

Okay, I just figured something out. You can set in and out marks for a clip in the Source window, then drag the clip from the Source window to the project window, and that'll create an instance. Then you can rename it.

Can someone point to me where in the manual this is? I have a feeling it's around page 112 but I can't find it!

Edit: Wait, this doesn't work either. Never mind. Any ideas?