DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/688-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2004-a.html)

Ed Smith June 4th, 2004 08:23 AM

Hi Justin,

We have a place now for all Premiere Q's. So I've moved this into it :)

Can you please provide us with more technical information:

1) What version of Premiere is it?

2) What specification is your computer?

3) What operating system are you using, and version?

4) Do you use any hardware assistants with Premiere (RTX 100, DV storm, DV500 etc) Or just sofware only?

I have a problem at the moment with Premiere 6.5 where it will import a DV AVI file. But when it is placed on the timeline it does not show. My work around was to import it in to pinnacle studio and then re-render it. When imported into Premiere again it would work. I have never got to the bottom of it, and never came across the problem before. I got a feeling that premiere is not reading the headers/timecode correctly in the AVI file. Or that it could be Win XP related?

Cheers,

Justin Boyle June 4th, 2004 10:13 AM

yeh mine is very similar. i have version 6.0
the computer
amd XP2200+
gbyte GA7VA mother board
512 mb ram
wd 80gig 8mb
nothing else of interest reallyh. no hardware rendering
i don't know what it is. i might look into premiere 7 don't know. i can do the same also by rerendering but would prefer not to. I feel that every time you render there is potential for loss. the only other programs i ahve are cheap free versions so who knows what it will be like.
oh yeh running windows XP pro sp1

Justin
thanks

Josh Allen June 4th, 2004 10:17 AM

This probably doesn't help much, but I do the same thing Lloyd does:

1. Edit video and audio in Premiere
2. Export video/audio tracks as one .avi file
3. Create menus in photoshop
4. Import it all into encore

So, the big difference is step 2...this way you don't have .wav to deal with. Hope that helps somehow.

Ed Smith June 4th, 2004 11:10 AM

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the extra info...

Have you installed the .02 patch for Premiere 6? That might help solve the problem, and other bugs in the first version of V6. You can find the patch on Adobes website.

Has this just happened recently or has it happened everytime since you first installed it?

If it has just recently happened have you installed/ uninstalled anything before it started to happen?

Cheers,

Dmitry Yun June 4th, 2004 11:12 AM

any suggestion on how to remove or maybe suppress it? also, how can both my sony and my canon have the same problem?

Tony Behnam June 4th, 2004 12:03 PM

Frame mode editing in Premiere

Hi,

I filmed a short in Frame mode with my new XM2.

I usually do my editing in Premiere using my Pinnacle DV500.

What settings should I be careful of when editing the movie?
I'm especially afraid of the De-interlace at capture and then during editing or export.

Thanks,
Tony

Rob Lohman June 5th, 2004 05:03 AM

Can you e-mail me an exported frame with the line visible?

Are you shooting in 4:3 or widescreen 16:9 anamorphic?

Whether you need to fix that depends on a number of things:

1) if you output to tape or DVD and that will only be watched on a TV you will be okay. TV's have safe zones and will not display the line at the bottom

2) if you output to the web you probably will be safe since you will either lower the resolution (normally to 50%) which will remove the line. Otherwise you can just crop the last couple of lines (does not matter for web)

If you really want to put up full resolution video or the movie is
going to be watched on computers or beamers/projectors then
you can do two things. Add normal letterboxing or add very small
letterboxing.

Letterboxing is the principle where there are two black bars on
top and bottom of the footage to give it a widescreen look. I
personally add them to my movies since they look more like the
real deal. Premiere probably supports this, or otherwise you can
get the masks I'm using (I normally use the 16:9 mask) from my
letterbox calculator.

If you don't want to add such big black bars you could also add
very small ones that are let's say 5 pixels high or so (depends on
where the line is exactly). Do add them to both the top and
bottom because this will be noticed less. Very small black bars
are almost unnoticable.

So there you go. From my point of view this is quite fixable since
you either don't see it on the viewing anyway or it can easily be
masked.

Rob Lohman June 5th, 2004 05:08 AM

Capture should not bother your footage. Make sure your project
settings are not set to interlaced but to progressive. Make sure
you export the final movie in progressive as well.

Miguel Lombana June 5th, 2004 06:22 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : Capture should not bother your footage. Make sure your project
you export the final movie in progressive as well. -->>>

Bad time to ask this question considering that I've never used anything but the default settings in Premier Pro for capture and output. So with that in mind, what should my project settings for GL2 Frame?

I was under the impression that I should not be making any modifications to the software and that it was more like, what goes in is what comes out, just chop it up and put it together.

Help me on this, I'm now totally confused!

Rob Lohman June 5th, 2004 06:24 AM

Again, the project settings should be progressive. Just study the
manual and the settings. Default settings are rarely 100% good
for every/your situation.

Miguel Lombana June 5th, 2004 07:56 AM

I went over to the Premier forum on the Adobe site based on this thread and found the question was posed there at one time, the tech supporters answered with:

"Frame mode on the Canon camcorder is transparent to Premiere -- the camcorder still records two fields, it just happens that the two fields come from the same buffer & there is no time delay between them. So Premiere edits it just like any other DV stream."

Which makes me feel better since I've never messed with the defaults and attempted to setup progressive for capture and project setttings.

Thanks for the help Rob...

Tony Behnam June 5th, 2004 08:30 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : Capture should not bother your footage. Make sure your project
you export the final movie in progressive as well. -->>>

Is this setting also available in Premiere 6.5? I cannot use Premiere Pro as my DV500 is not supported.

Thanks,
Tony

Dmitry Yun June 5th, 2004 05:56 PM

Gorgeous, Thanks Rob. :)

Dmitry Yun June 5th, 2004 06:09 PM

Hey Rob I use Premier 6.5 how do I change my setting to progressive form 4:9 interlaced, do you know by any chance?

Johnny Cheung June 5th, 2004 11:10 PM

fade to white in premiere pro

a dumb question, how to fade to white in premiere pro? i mean, like, to use fade white as a tansition between the frames

thanks...

Steven Gotz June 6th, 2004 12:12 AM

Just place a white matte on top of the cut and fade it in and out.

Ed Smith June 6th, 2004 02:34 PM

You could also use the brightness control with keyframes. Simply apply the effect and a few keyframes and then 'ramp' the effect (normal at the beginning to overexposed - white at the end). Bare in mind though there will be a slight colour change while it is ramping up to white.

That should also work...

Lorraine Boyle June 7th, 2004 08:44 AM

XP WDM capture driver with Premiere

Hello all.

I'm having a problem getting an older version of Premiere (v5.0) to open/import files captured on a new XP media center system. Likewise it can't see the connected XL1 device. I think that XP is using the WDM capture driver.

Before I upgrade to newer version of Premiere I'd like some reason to believe that this problem will be solved.

So the question is .. does this set-up work: XP + generic 1394 + WDM capture driver + Premiere 6.5 or Pro?

thanks - L

Ed Smith June 7th, 2004 09:19 AM

Hi Lorraine,

A few things to try/ bare in mind:

1) Download DVR-Ripper from here: http://www.thegreenbutton.com/downloads.aspx. THis will convert the file into an MPEG stream, which Premiere should be able to use. I have not tried it so can not say that it works.

2) When you connect your XL1 to the computer, does Win MCE see the camera? It should appear as a canon device in my computer?

3) Adobe Premiere 5 is not supported on WinMCE or Win XP.

4) The UDM capture driver is probably not supprted in P5 and I doubt that it is supported in Premiere PRO. I think they need to use the Microsoft DV compliant capture driver with Win XP Home/ pro.

5) Did you get any error messages? What happens when you import the file?

I doubt that there are many people using MCE as an NLE platform, So I doubt that many people would have come across your problem. You might want to try The Green Buttons forum (found from the link above.

Cheers,

Sean McHenry June 7th, 2004 11:09 PM

Rendering is much faster from Premiere if you use the same codec it came in at. That is, if you brought the footage in as DV, send it out as a DV based AVI file. If you turn off "recompression" in the output, it is pretty fast except for the effects that need rendered.

From there, Encore can handle the AVI files and do any conversion it needs as part of it's process. You can start that and go to bed. When you get up, finished DVD.

PS, the new version of EncorDVD will finally be able to use QuickTime. Yipee.

Sean

Rob Lohman June 8th, 2004 04:43 AM

This is easy to explain Lorraine. The world of DV runs under
DirectShow on the Windows platform. Premiere 5.0 does *NOT*
support DirectShow in any way. So no DV devices etc. The only
way this would work is to get a third party VFW (Video for Windows)
codec or a dedicated hardware board.

An upgrade to Premiere 6.5 (or perhaps better yet Premiere Pro 1.5)
is definitely going to solve that problem. Garantueed.

So yes, that will definitely work (your last line).

There are ofcourse also other NLE's out there...

Indian Ashfaq June 8th, 2004 05:02 AM

new version of EncorDVD will finally be able to use QuickTime

It's really nice to hear about the new version of Encore. What about Prem Pro 1.5, has it got quick time filters.

Indian

Lorraine Boyle June 8th, 2004 09:14 AM

Ed & Rob

Thank you very much for your excellent replies.

I didn't really expect 5.0 to work yet it's good to know about the greenbuttons website and that an upgrade to 6.5 or Pro will work. Exactly the info I needed!

- Lorraine

Saturnin Kondratiew June 8th, 2004 08:02 PM

premiere pro 1.5 supports 24p

good news peeps, premiere pro 1.5 now supports 24p(panasonic dvx100ap)
http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/main.html

woops i guess there are already threads on this..bah..

Paul Tauger June 9th, 2004 12:34 AM

Some notes about 1.5 . . .

This may save others some trouble as they migrate to 1.0/1.5 from 6.0/6.5:

1. Deflicker

I'd been using the Donald Graf deFlicker plug-in for Virtual Dub to remove the 50 Hz flicker of outdoor lights at night in Europe and Asia. Premiere 1.0/1.5 installed DirectX version 9 (like it or not). There is some conflict, either between DirectX9 itself or residual components from DirectX8, that causes the deFlicker plug-in to fail. I tried TinderBox deflicker, both stand-alone and as a plug-in for Premiere 1.5. It will install under 1.5, but doesn't work correctly. However, either as plug-in or stand-alone, it is not effective at removing 50 Hz flicker from portions of clips. I finally tried the MSU deficker plug-in for Virtual Dub (not easy to find, but available). It has a Graf emulation mode which works just as well as the Graf plug-in. So . . . it's back to VDub with MSU, but at least I can now remove 50 Hz flicker again.

2. Steadying clips

I tried Steadymove plug-in provided with Premiere in 1.5, but found the results rather poor. I tried Steadymove Pro and discovered that it wasn't compatible with 1.5 -- it produces a black clip. My solution was to go back to the old reliable Dynapel Steadyhand stand-alone. This produces nice steadied clips, but at the expense of a fair amount of artifacting. I got around this by steadying the clip and then importing it back to Premiere 1.5, applying, in order, the Premiere De-artifact effect, followed by the Premiere Unsharp mask. The result is a little soft, but quite pleasing for short shots. Of all the steadying software I've tried, Dynapel gives the smoothest results (though it takes a fair amount of time to process). The Dynapel program has a DV Codec which can be read by Premiere 1.5 and, at least on my monitor, produces steadied clips of identical quality to uncompressed AVI.

3. Color correction

I shoot a lot of night stuff under outdoor illumination in Europe. Lighting tends to be either sodium vapor (which is orange), mercury vapor (which is purple) or some new light which has a much more natural color temperature. Using Premiere 1.5's RGB correction, I can get a pretty good color match of clips shot under these diverse lighting conditions -- they don't look the same, but they blend much better. Good stuff!

Roger Golub June 9th, 2004 10:03 AM

Not very many useful ones. A lot of demos though.

Try

http://www.thepluginsite.com/products/download.htm

for a few. You can also do a google search and pick up a few things.

Josh Allen June 9th, 2004 12:20 PM

Mono to stereo

I tried doing a search, but could not find an answer to this question...

Is there a simple way to pan a mono audio track to both channels (L and R) in premiere pro?

I used to use media100 and this could be done by simply dragging the audio across both channels, but that does not appear possible in premiere.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ming Dong June 9th, 2004 02:49 PM

How to move project or files to another drive?

I started a project and captured all my video onto the wrong drive :(

How can I move my AVI files onto another drive, and still have my PPro project know where they are?

Thanks!

Jacob Ehrichs June 9th, 2004 02:51 PM

Just move em where you want. Then open the project and it'll detect that it's not where it was originally and ask you to find it.

Pete Bauer June 9th, 2004 03:42 PM

Josh,

Yep, there is a "Treat as Stereo" option in the Project Window. You have to apply this BEFORE dragging it to a stereo track in the timeline. (p. 188 of the Premiere Pro 1.0 manual).

Also, in the Audio Mixer, you can just output ("send") a mono track to a stereo submix track. In the Audio Mixer, the mono track will then show a round pan knob so you can send the mono sound anywhere in the submix's stereo soundfield (ie far left, center, far right or any point in between). (p. 184)

FWIW, I've just decided to do most, if not all, my work in 5.1. For now, my final output to home DVD-R and web-friendly files will generally be down-mixed to stereo rather than 5.1, but it'll be good practice and in case I decide to use a sequence for something more serious later, I won't have to rebuild the audio.

Josh Allen June 9th, 2004 11:02 PM

Great, thanks for the tips Pete. Guess I should rtfm ;)

Saturnin Kondratiew June 10th, 2004 08:51 AM

heh

u'd figure they would include that as a preset....i wonder if 1.5 has it .. :D

Steven Gotz June 10th, 2004 09:47 AM

PPro 1.5 has a "Dip to Black" but not a "Blow out to white and return" type transition. But once you get one you like, just save it as a favorite. Or use a combination of favorites.

Matthew de Jongh June 10th, 2004 03:10 PM

i haven't tried fading to white since premiere 6.0 but i had a project where it played fine on my tv's but i showed a vhs tape at a friends house and two of his tv's freaked out when displaying the white transitions.

would be interesting to try a short project now and see if i can find any tv's that can't handle it.

has anyone ever run across anything like that?

matthew

Alexey Ravichev June 11th, 2004 11:10 PM

thanks guys for the info everything works beautifully :)

Grant Brennae June 14th, 2004 07:18 AM

Can't Capture 4 channels of audio over firewire with Premiere Pro 1.5

Hello,

I have a Panasonic AG-DV2500 dv deck connected to my pc via firewire. My footage was recorded using an XL1.

I recorded the audio in 12bit 4 four channel mode, now it comes time to edit and I can't seem to get premiere to capture the 4 channels. I'm playing back on the AG-DV2500, and that supports 4 channel audio. In my premiere preview window I can only hear the first two channels, and cannot find any option to make it do otherwise.

Any Ideas?

Jean-Philippe Archibald June 14th, 2004 07:38 AM

I don't think that Premiere support 4 channels capture. You can try to use Scenalyzer Live to capture the 4 channels and the video in one pass.

Richard Lewis June 14th, 2004 07:43 AM

Keeps Crashing with XP Pro and Prem 6.5

I've had the new computer a few days now. When editing in Premier, without any warning, the computer screen goes black, and the PC re-starts.
Once everything has loaded, I get the message "a serious error has occurred"
It’s annoying because it seems to be intermittent.

I'm running:

Windows XP Pro
AMD Athlon 3.2ghs Processor
1024 RAM
120 gig HD
40 gig HD
Creative SoundBlaster Live 5.1
Adobe Premier 6.5
Pinnacle DV500.

Anyone have any idea?
Further info available if necessary.

Plzzzzzzzzzzz help.

Ed Smith June 14th, 2004 08:10 AM

Richard,

I see you have finally upgraded your PC. Did it solve the blurry monitor issue?

We will probably need some more info here:

At what point does it normally crash the system?

Are you doing any particular edits, capturing or exporting?

Did you install Premiere before installing the DV500 drivers?

Have you got any programs running in the background (Anti virus etc...)?

What settings are you using?

Thanks,

Sean McHenry June 14th, 2004 10:13 AM

Maintain Aspect Ratio?

OK, so I found the tiny checkbox that tells Premiere Pro to scale imported clips and stills to the project sizes. Now my question (or annoyance) with the newer versions is this, In 6.5 all one had to do was right click a clip or image and tell the system to "Maintain Aspect Ratio. You could go into the motion controls and create a colored background for behind any image other than black. It would fill the non image areas to any color you liked.

In this new version, I have to go into Photoshop or use the title tool to create a colored background? Seems like this simple tool has gotten a LOT harder to use in the newer Pro versions.

A lot of what I do is photo montages set to music these days. This used to be so easy to do. Now I have to play in 2 or 3 layers of menues and call up outside applications just to size an image over a colored background?

Am I missing an easier way to do this?

Sean McHenry