DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/688-adobe-premiere-premiere-pro-discussions-2004-a.html)

Ming Dong May 28th, 2004 09:42 AM

Ahhh. So that is the purpose of those "clap" boards used in filming. :)

What if you leave the MD recorder on for the whole session, for instance a 60min concert, but stop/restart video recording during the session?

J. Clayton Stansberry May 28th, 2004 09:53 AM

...then you will have to trim your audio to match the video...

...what i do in circumstances like that is look for something that makes sound on the video. like looking at a drummer hit a cymbal or someone drop something or maybe even being able to read someone's lips. then, i find it in the audio and line it up. i have never used the clap boards as it hasn't seemed appropriate to have the band wait for me to clap my board...hope that helps...

Ed Smith May 28th, 2004 12:14 PM

Hi Matt,

I have never used the 5.1 features in pro but a drop down menu should appear below the fader for the channel. Then select the mix from the list. The box that allows you to set your speakers will then appear above the audio fader in that channel.

Hope that makes sense...

Milosz Krzyzaniak May 28th, 2004 03:01 PM

Main concept codec and Premiere 6.5 on WinXP

Hello

How to force premiere 6.5 to use main concept codec instead of microsoft?

I found some manual but it refers to win 2000 where some system operation needed (turning off one of system features) differs from xp.

Ned Hamilton May 29th, 2004 06:11 AM

Do you mean the MC stand-alone encoder? The MPEG decoder (to make DVDs) is supported and comes up when you export to Adobe MPEG Encoder.

I don't think the Main Concept stand-alone can be used directly from Premiere, but I may be wrong.

Robin Davies-Rollinson May 29th, 2004 07:55 AM

It is possible, but it needs a little work. Have a look at this site:
http://www.abcdv.com/article/articleview/10/1/79/
The MainConcept codec is very good. I use it with Avid, but if I need to work with Premiere on the same machine, I have to disable it. I've just never got around to following the advice on the above link ;-)

Robin

Dmitry Yun May 29th, 2004 08:10 PM

Editing problem

Hi fellas, I have a little question with capturing video. I capture using premier 6.5 and I have a GL2. I just noticed today that my avi file is not at 100% on full screen and it loses it's quality. Does anyone have any Idea if I could capture a better image somehow? Can I tweak the options?

Thank you

Roger Golub May 29th, 2004 10:33 PM

I have a Sager P4 (3.2 Ghz, 1GB RAM) with the neat 17x14 screen. Works exceptionally well with Premier 6.5 and lots of other apps. It's only drawback is the relatively small HD (60 gB - jeez, I can't believe I'm saying that it's "small"). An important feature to look for is built in firewire - you can always get a PCMCIA card solution, but the built in is really slick. Just plug the camera in and go....

So I do a lot of editing on this machine and then download the files to a bigger, slower desktop with tons of harddrive space. If you don't have a bigger machine, the external drive that Shane describes is a good idea, although I would try for a firewire drive if at all possible.

The only big drawback of the laptop compared to a desktop machine is the lack of a dual headed video card. I've come to love the dual monitor setup on my desktop. Since Premiere has a rather cluttered interface, the extra visual real estate makes workflow smoother.

And, as Shane has mentioned, high end laptops are still quite a bit more expensive than an equivelently functional desktop.

Can't have everything....

David Hargreaves May 29th, 2004 11:19 PM

I don't think you 'need' to go particularly high end these days - 2.4/512 would probably be fine. The big internal laptop hard disks are expensive compared to 120 gig desktop drives. You can buy one of those desktop drives and stick it into a 3 1/2 inch external firewire unit. There are even fancy units that will do RAID (more than one drive) but I don't know the details on that.

Paul Tauger May 29th, 2004 11:42 PM

AVI is just a "wrapper" for digital video. You need to check your codec. As I recall, the Microsoft DV codec is lossless, i.e. no compression (other than that which is already done as part of the DV25 standard).

John Britt May 30th, 2004 08:15 AM

Dmitry

Interlaced video typically looks somewhat poor on a computer monitor. Try sending the video from the Premiere timeline back out to a television and see how it looks on the TV.

Dmitry Yun May 30th, 2004 09:12 AM

thanks guys

Rob Lohman May 30th, 2004 09:20 AM

I'm not fully understanding your "my avi file is not at 100% on
full screen" part?

How are you determining it is of less quality than... compared to
what?

Mike Mellis May 30th, 2004 07:43 PM

Is Wrigley alone?

I have been enjoying the tutorials put together by WRIGLEY VIDEO PRODUCTIONS. Are there other free sites offering similar tutorials out there?

Steven Gotz May 31st, 2004 01:45 PM

Wrigley is the only one doing video tutorials for Premiere Pro. There are others doing Photoshop and After Effects.

The problem is that there is a serious cost to the bandwidth. The sites that offer unlimited bandwidth are not really telling the entire truth. So Curt Wrigley pays a lot of money monthly. I think he uses around 15G of bandwidth daily. That is huge.

Dmitry Yun May 31st, 2004 05:56 PM

Well when I view my captured avi file in say WMP and I click full screen, I have a noticable loss in quality. But when I have it at 100% not at full screen mode it's as clear as ever. Is there a way I can make Premier Pro capture my avi file at "full screen size" rather than the default 100% that's about 1/4 of my screen's size.

John Britt May 31st, 2004 06:03 PM

Dmitry

DV resolution is 720x480. That's "full screen" for DV. Try to make it fill 1024x768 (or another monitor resolution) and it's going to have a loss in quality. Add to that what I said before about interlaced video looking worse on a computer monitor (it will look better in a smaller viewing window, though).

Interlaced DV is ultimately meant to be best viewed on a TV. It simply will not look as clear on a computer monitor.

Kyle Kauss June 1st, 2004 07:50 AM

I was looking at another thread and I found a file that converts 16:9 to a 4:3 with the bars. That helps me out a ton so I'm happy I think I'm gonna start filming (as long as I can get my script finished by next week.)

Ed Smith June 1st, 2004 12:46 PM

Hi Kyle,

Glad you managed to find a work around. Its a strange issue as it works for me... Anyway, good luck with your script, let us know how you get on.

All the best,

Stephen Jackson June 1st, 2004 03:02 PM

I use a Toshiba P25 Satelitte notebook 2.8Ghz upgraded to 1meg RAM 80 Gig HD with the Maxtor 250Gig external firewire and the Firestore FS1.

I have Premiere Pro, After Effects 6, Audition, Particle Illusion and Boris Red

I used this setup to capture and edit video when I'm on the Seagram's Gin Live Tour.

26 cities in 38 days and this system has performed without a flaw.

I've done multi camera edits, effects, titling, composting all while traveling on a tour bus and I this system never crashed once.

John Britt June 1st, 2004 03:18 PM

Heck, I did my first few commercials on a Pentium 3 laptop with 256 MB RAM and running Windows ME!

Elmar Tewes June 1st, 2004 04:05 PM

how to edit 2.35:1 anamorph material ?

ok, lets asume you shoot with an anamorphic attachement on a canon xl-1 that delivers around 2.35:1 anamorph, squished together on the 4/3 panel.
im curious how to edit that in premiere or better, how to create the final piece that it works on 16/9 tv ect.
normal (real) 16/9 can be exported anamorph and then when you play it back on tv with widescreen option et voila 16/9 widescreen.
but how about the 2.35:1 ? when you edit it the normal way and export it back on tape and play it back on a 16/9 tv it would still be squished. is that correct ? or have i overlooked something in premiere ?

Elmar

Les Dit June 2nd, 2004 11:11 PM

Premiere Pro with more than 8 bits/chan?

A friend of mine was telling me that he can import frame sequences of 10 bit or 12 bit per channel images, and Prem Pro seems to work with them.
Can someone tell me if it can do color correction on higher bit depth images using all the bits ( ie: not from an 8 bit truncated version of the data ) ?
I would be very impressed if that's what is happening!
-Les

Ed Smith June 3rd, 2004 03:06 AM

Elmar,

You would edit using the 16x9 project settings. When you export to tape, and you view it on a 16x9 TV the picture will fill the screen. When viewed on a 4x3 TV the picture will be vertically squished. If the 4x3 TV has a widescreen button, then you can view it wide screen with black bars top and bottom.

Cheers,

Rob Lohman June 3rd, 2004 04:18 AM

I checked the Adobe site and couldn't find anything on this. So
my guess (and I think that's the case as well) is that it's just 8
bit under the covers. If it supported more bits then they'd
probably told you?

Elmar Tewes June 3rd, 2004 05:17 AM

ah okidoki i think i got the system now. when editing using the 16/9 setting the picture will still be squished and can be de-squished on a 16/9 tv.

thx

Elmar

David Newman June 3rd, 2004 09:29 AM

Yes unfortunately the base version of Premiere Pro 1.5 is only 8 bit per channel. However their plug-in structure does allow for third parties to add depth to the video video quality. e.g. Prospect HD for Premiere Pro does its color correction and real-time filters in 16bits per channel and support the input of 10bit compressed or uncompressed data. I sure there are others that do this also.

Rob Lohman June 3rd, 2004 12:59 PM

David: thanks for some insights in this. I assume Aspect converts
the end result back to 8-bits before writing it back into the buffers?

David Newman June 3rd, 2004 01:04 PM

Aspect HD and Prospect HD are very different products. Aspect HD is an 8 bit YUV 4:2:2 system, so the issues of extended precision it not a concern.

Rob Lohman June 3rd, 2004 01:10 PM

Sorry, I meant Prospect HD. It's not really geared towards a
product but more how such a plugin must operate within the
Premiere environment.

Alexey Ravichev June 3rd, 2004 01:26 PM

premiere pro => encore

Hello,

I am editing in premiere pro and then want to export to dvd. I used ppro's Adobe media encoder to get my .m2v and .wav files that I then use in Encore. Is it the right way to go? That's what I try to do now, but while it imports .m2v ok it gives an error message trying to import .wav. Does anybody have the same problem? What do I do to fix it?

Thanks

David Newman June 3rd, 2004 01:32 PM

Prospect HD outputs 10bit to HD-SDI buffers, so no it doesn't convert back to 8bit unless the output is 8 bit such as exporting to WMV-HD or MPEG2. 10 bit precision is maintained wherever it is supported.

Les Dit June 3rd, 2004 01:43 PM

David,
So if an Adobe or other 8 bit filter gets in the chain, it all gets chopped to 8bits, right ? ( like a reposition of a slight zoom )

Does the Vegas product act in a similar way, with the higher bit depth?

I'm looking for a low cost digital intermediate color timer/editor, and maybe this is the route to take.
Is there a way to get image frame sequences into Aspect/Prospect? My frames are from film.

Thanks
-Les

David Newman June 3rd, 2004 02:40 PM

Les,

<<<-- Originally posted by Les Dit :
So if an Adobe or other 8 bit filter gets in the chain, it all gets chopped to 8bits, right ? ( like a reposition of a slight zoom ) -->>>

Yes, all of Premiere's filters are 8 bit and most of them are RGB only, so those segments will have their precision reduced. However a slight zoom like you describe can use CineForm filter to presevere the bit depth. We are adding filters to replace all the common Premiere operations.

<<<-- Does the Vegas product act in a similar way, with the higher bit depth? -->>>

Vegas is 8 bit RGB only, and this can't be enhanced unless Sony does some new engineering.

<<<-- I'm looking for a low cost digital intermediate color timer/editor, and maybe this is the route to take.
Is there a way to get image frame sequences into Aspect/Prospect? My frames are from film. -->>>

Yes, although this is limited at the moment to RAW v210 AVI files (or anything that comes across single link HD-SDI.) It would be possible to convert your files into 10bit YUV v210 then these can be imported into Prospect HD. We will add a wider range of import source formats in the future.

Lloyd Coleman June 3rd, 2004 05:28 PM

The same codecs are available in either program if they are installed on the same machine, so they should give the same results. I find it easiest to bring the avi files, menus, music, etc. into into Encore and let it do the encoding. I have not had problems doing it this way.

Thomas Fraser June 3rd, 2004 09:00 PM

Free Plug Ins ??

Not that I am cheap , but, is there any web source were I can get free Premiere 65. plug ins.. I spent all my money on Premiere 6.5 and I am broke....

Alexey Ravichev June 3rd, 2004 10:34 PM

Thanks Lloyd! I'll try it.

Anyone knows if it makes a difference if you convert DV material to DVD in encore or ppro?

Any recommendations on my current situation? Still have no idea how to get my wav into encore now :(

both encore and ppro are installed on the same machine

Dmitry Yun June 3rd, 2004 11:07 PM

Hehe you know you're absolutely correct because my footage does look 050 much better on my TV hehe. Hey another quick question I had a regular 1394 firewire cable that came with my firewire card and now all of my captured footage has a little tiwtching line at the bottom of the screen. I went online and bought a Belkin 6-6 firewire do you think that'll solve the problem?

P.S oh and it does it for both my Sony and my GL2 so it's not the head for a fact.

thanks

Rob Lohman June 4th, 2004 02:09 AM

The flickering line is probably coming from the camera and cannot
be fixed. My XL1S has the same thing.

A cable cannot fix this since it is a digital signal. Firewire does not
have analog signals going over it. So there is not influence from
the outside (basically).

Neither will the head be the problem. Problem in digital will result
in frame drops and large blocks (8x8 pixels usually) looking different
than the surrounding blocks. These blocks are called macro blocks
and problems are usually referred to as macro block compression
errors.

Justin Boyle June 4th, 2004 08:10 AM

Adobe Premiere help

As you have already guessed i use premiere to edit with. i have one problem with it at the moment. when i do a big video of a couple of gigs or so i can save the timeline to hard drive in dv format but when i try to import it into premiere later to add to it or do the audio the program jams and crashes. i can open these same files in movie maker etc and they work fine. i can watch them in media player or any other program but not in premiere. i can load it up in moviemaker and then re save it through that program and premiere will handle it just fine even though essentially it is the same movie. Does anyone have any advice. Is it worth deleting all my video codecs or something. i don't know.

Justin