Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2004 - Page 76 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Closed Thread

Old October 9th, 2004, 10:07 PM   #1126
New Boot

how do i add black borders

hi. i want to add black borders (like its 16:9) to my footage. how do i go about doing this on Adobe Premiere?
Old October 10th, 2004, 07:09 AM   #1127
Regular Crew

If you are using prem pro, just use the crop effect and drap the top and bottoms of the clip in the record window to add the bars.

If you're using 6.5 then create a picture in photoshop with black bars top and bottom, the middle can be transparant and add this to a video track above the video.

Jon
Old October 10th, 2004, 07:15 AM   #1128
Regular Crew

You can select multiple clips in prem pro using the arrow select tool, or shift click each clip.

Unfortunately in prem pro when you paste attributes it adds to any effects that are already on the clip. It's a real pain then if you want to change the effects as there is not a "remove all effects" command that works with multiple clips.

In 6.5 pasting attributes overwrote any previous effects.

Jon
Old October 10th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #1129
Regular Crew

Just in case you were using the camera in auto mode, this will probably add 18dB of gain automatically even with an on camera light. I also use manual in these particular situations and set the gain to 6dB

Jon
Old October 11th, 2004, 02:20 PM   #1130
New Boot

I don't know if this will solve it for you, but I had the same problem about 2 days ago on a documentary I have been working on for months. My heart started to pound as I hadn't made backups of the project.

The problem was that I had disconnected one of my hard drives that had Conformed Audio Files and Preview Files on it. When I went to edit..preferences, and changed my save locations to somewhere else, the project had to rebuild all my CAFs and PFs, but that seemed to do the trick, my project was ok after that. Might want to ditch your old preview files.
Old October 12th, 2004, 06:06 PM   #1131
Tourist

Here Today Gone Tommorow - A Regretful Problem in Film Making

When I first started out doing film projects as a hobby, I did a very dumb thing - putting my masters as AVI Divx files. Now as I look back on it, I regret it tremendously because now the quality is horrendous. Im thinking of trying to prevent something like this from happening again. Problem is, all my previous project RAW video files, have been backuped onto DVD-R and scattered in my collection of files. It was because I was working at the time at a computer with limited HD space. It was today that one of my colleagues told me about Batch Processing onto miniDV Tape. He said I could put all my raw movie files and master on miniDV tape without quality loss through batch processing, while at the same time conserving HD space (which I currently am working on a laptop). Everytime I need to pull up the movie project file on Premiere, I just have to put that tape in my Camcorder via Firewire. So how do I do this with Adobe Premiere?
Old October 12th, 2004, 07:36 PM   #1132
Regular Crew

Editing in 24p

Found some threads and I got my footage from a new XL2 to load into premiere. I'm shooting 16:9 24p 2:3. But the thing is, once I get this footage into the timeline, I have to render...and after rendering, I encoded with the high quality progressive encode setting, and the video looked like #@$%. It was pixilated, especially around people as they moved.

Is there a special encoder I should be using? Does premiere really work with 24p? All help is appriciated.

Rick
Old October 12th, 2004, 11:57 PM   #1133
Inner Circle

If you set things up properly, you can delete all your media from your computer and re-capture from mini-DV tapes. The Premiere project contains the timecode of all your footage so it can match it back to your mini-DV tape and re-capture that way.

So...
If you want to archive your project, keep the Premiere project file around and your mini-DV tapes. You can re-create your project by batch capturing off the tapes.

You don't want timecode breaks on your mini-DV tapes though.
Some camcorders have terrible deck control and can't do this (Samsung). Most can however.

This is not exactly what your colleague is describing but the closest thing I can think of.

*I haven't tried this in Premiere, but am fairly sure it can do this. Test things out first however- it will reveal any problems you may encounter.
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #1134
Trustee

perry, when you say that everything is on divx and raw formats, it sounds like the edited master is not in the minidv format... so if you put it on minidv avi's, there will be a transcoding loss, because you are switching formats.

the only way around it is to re-edit everything from the minidv source tapes, which could be a real pia.
Old October 14th, 2004, 02:24 AM   #1135
New Boot

Out of Memory - recording error

Hi,
I have a 28 minute AVI - taken from Canon XM2(GL2).
I was trying to export it to DVD and the PPro 1.5 stopped in the middle of pocessing "export to DVD".
I have 1GB memory and 30GB empty space on my hard drive.
I tried small AVI to export to DVD and it worked fine.
But how much memory/hard disc space is required to cover 28 minute video?
My encoding setting was Highest.
And PProd 1.5 said it needed only 2GB which is small enough for the disc space I have...

Any guide? ANything wrong???

Thanks!
Old October 14th, 2004, 07:04 AM   #1136
RED Code Chef

I'm sorry but why do you guys not make backups? It's like people
refuse to make backups! It's as easy as saving the project file
under a new file every day and there you have your backup. If
you want to be even more safe back it all up to some other
computer or removable media once a week or so. I just can't
understand why people still do not do this with something as
important as this.

It is a well known fact that Premiere as problems (still) with
reading project and associated files. That they can become
corrupt. Just do a file save as instead of file save.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old October 14th, 2004, 02:00 PM   #1137
New Boot

Jagged Titles in encoded DVD

I am working on a project, and I have created titles in Premiere. I am outputting and encoding to DVD with CCE, interlaced, BFF. When I preview my project on my T.V. through premiere, the titles look awesome, nice and crisp edges, etc. However, when I export to MPEG2, the As and Vs look "jagged". My larger titles however, look fine, it's mostly things that are smaller etc.

Can anyone throw me a bone?

Thanks
Christopher
Old October 14th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #1138
Regular Crew

Whats BFF and CCE?

Anyway could be down to data rate, what was it? Is it a high quality encoder? Is there much movement behind the text?

Jon
Old October 14th, 2004, 04:33 PM   #1139
New Boot

BFF= Bottom Field First (Interlaced)
CCE = Cinema Craft Encoder

No, there's not any movement behind the titles, and the titles themselves aren't moving, just fading out. My bitrate is 6,000kbps CBR. Ending scroller titles I produced in After Effects look fine.
Old October 14th, 2004, 05:46 PM   #1140
Trustee

6 mbps should be plenty for stationary titles with no moving background.

are you using something like a 1-pixel outline on the font? or is the color red involved in any way? did you use 2-pass encoding?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite