Homemade 35mm Adapter - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 7th, 2003, 11:53 PM   #166
New Boot

Could someone tell how to post pictures to this board. I have some pics of my adapter I would like to share with everybody.

The pics show the motor mounted to spindle base, spinning cd mounted to motor, spindle housing, and finally an example of the image projected onto the sanded cd.
Thanks
Mike
Mike Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2003, 11:55 PM   #167
Major Player

If you email the pics to me i can put them up on my webspace.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2003, 11:56 PM   #168
Major Player

Re: My ghetto attempt

<<<-- Originally posted by Yang Wen : Ok I grabbed a fake CD thing from my spindle and got my Sigma 35-135 AF zoom lens and just held the two things up in front of my DVX100. I had the DVX's lense focus into macro-mode and the CD was in focus but As you can see, there is incredible vignetting. It seems I can only get a small round image to project. What is the trick of having the 35mm lens image fill the entire frame?

http://www.umich.edu/~ywenz/DVX/GhettoAttempt.wmv

thanks -->>>

Hey, why you call it Ghetto ?? it should be Agus35 :)

Ok, you got several problems... first, you need to use the whole spindle plastic case, cause that will not permit the light from outside to ruin the image in the ground glass... then... you need to adapt a Magnifying glass to the dv camera, so in that way you will get more of the image projected, then you need to close as much as you can the GG to the camera lens...

http://altoque.tv/maserati.wmv

Take a look to the second 20 of the video, and the last scene, and there is no vigneting

Check it out, it doesnt have too much quality but i really dont have any time, working a lot with a 3d spot.

Mike,
you can email them to me also...

check my profile for my email.
Agus Casse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:00 AM   #169
Regular Crew

Agus, that's the best footage yet. It really looks like film, especially the last shot. This thing will be amazingly useful for making short films.. I mean there are big problems trying to follow a car as it speeds round a track (good work on that by the way) but in a scene that you've planned out it'll be fine..

Yang, you need to understand how the adapter works. Your DV camera is effectively being used as some sort of telecine unit - its only purpose is to capture the image created by the 35mm lens. It's like ghetto telecine - videoing your film footage as you project it against a wall. That means the only thing you need to be able to do with your video camera is zoom and focus until the image fills the screen. Also take the camera completely out of auto mode, so there's no gain, no focus problems, and a standard shutter speed.

Next you need to understand what's going on with the lens and the housing and the spinning cd. The housing stops any light getting in. Just like an ordinary stills camera - the only light you want coming in is the light that comes in through the lens. The role of the the sand-papered CD is to act as a projection screen. It's like the film in a stills camera - it's where the image from the lens is focused. The reason it needs to spin is so that you get rid of the grain caused by sanding the cd.

So what you're doing is using the 35mm lens to create the image - to zoom, to set the exposure, etc. And you're using the video camera to capture this image.

By the way Agus, have you experienced the "spinning vortex" that mini35 users refer to?

Kieran
Kieran Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:01 AM   #170
New Boot

Agus,
I was ready to email the pics but I could not find your e-mail address on your profile page.
Mike
Mike Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:02 AM   #171
Major Player

my email is kamicasse@intelnet.net.gt, if you need to contact me via MSN messenger you can do it at kamicasse@hotmail.com
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:11 AM   #172
Obstreperous Rex

You can email photos to me and I'll put 'em up here at dvinfo.net -- here are Richard Mellor's images:

http://www.dvinfo.net/media/rmtopview.jpg
http://www.dvinfo.net/media/rmsonywalkman.jpg
http://www.dvinfo.net/media/rmlensadapter.jpg
http://www.dvinfo.net/media/rmcdepoxied.jpg
http://www.dvinfo.net/media/rmrearview.jpg
http://www.dvinfo.net/media/rmcloseupmotor.jpg

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:17 AM   #173
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Kieran Clayton : Agus, that's the best footage yet. It really looks like film,

By the way Agus, have you experienced the "spinning vortex" that mini35 users refer to?

Kieran -->>>

Thanks dude, you wont belive the shoots that i have from that day, i will post up more...

Well, there is no spinning vortex here, thats cause the mini35 GG spins in a diferent way than the cd, in the mini35 you capture the center of a circular GG, in Agus35 you capture the edge from a bigger diameter GG...

They had to change it , the new mini35 seens to oscilate now and wont rotate.

BTW... how many Agus35 were built until now, or that we know ?
Old December 8th, 2003, 02:19 AM   #174
Major Player

Yang Wen! What codec did you use to make your ghettoattempt clip? I can't play it.
Old December 8th, 2003, 04:03 AM   #176
Inner Circle

Concept - As I understand it.

Stage One

Subject being videod/filmed >>> via SLR camera lens >>> onto a semi-opaque screen (like a rear projection TV screen) positioned on the lens focal plane --- the same position the film would be if if the SLR lens was mounted to a camera. (This is a focal plane for that lens.)

Stage Two

That image (like a projected image) on the semi-opaque screen >>> via video camcorder lens >>> onto 1 x CCD chip or (3 x CCD chip array) To get that image to appear large enough to fill your video camcorder viewfinder, you may have to use a close-up lens or if that is not powerful enough, make up a relay lens to get the camcorder to focus on the projected image sharply enough.

The relay lens might be something like the eyepiece out of a telescope. I have used a lens set out of a 42mm telescope eyepiece and placed that between the camcorder lens and the projected image for another similar application.

SUMMARY: There are two stages of focussing. The SLR lens focussing sharp onto the semi-opaque screen. The camcorder aquiring a sharp image of that projected image. You are taking a picture of a picture. This is not realy the most efficient way of aquiring an image but ---

from this point is where it gets interesting. You just can't get a frosted glass texture fine enough to display the image from the SLR lens sharply enough. If the texture is too fine, then you can see through the glass beyond the focal plane into the guts of the SLR lens and through that all the way to your subject. So all you see is a bright hole. If the frosted glass texture is too course, then all you see is a pattern of rough pits and scratches colored vaguely in the form of the image.

If you try to look through a raindrop blinded windscreen on your car or the wire mesh on a screen door, you discover that if you move your head about, you can see through the obstruction. P&S Tecknik, cleverly worked this principle by moving the windscreen instead of the viewpoint.

You are not looking at your subject through the groudnglass screen with the Mini35 adaptor, you are looking at an image projected onto the groundglass screen which is made to seem finer by being moved faster than the camera can see its rough texture. The Mini35 adaptor moves this screen by spinning it across the SLR lens focal plane. Agus' earlier prototype as I understand it rapidly moved a screen back and forth across the SLR lens focal plane.

The Mini35 operating notes tell you that you must keep your camcorder shutter speed selected slow so that you do not freeze the motion of the rotating screen and thus detect the frosted texture on it and spoil the image.

I hope this has not confused you too much.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 04:18 AM   #177
Regular Crew

That's a very good description indeed.

I'm still not sure if a relay lens is strictly needed. With the original mini35 and the XL1s it was simply more practical to take advantage of the fact that you could remove the XL1s' stock lens - it makes everything less bulky. The only problem with optics for the Agus35 is being able to 1) focus the image 2) zoom until it fills the screen, which, as people are discovering, can be difficult to do simultaneously.

I'm thinking about using some kind of sliding close up filter between the XL1s lens and the cd so I can experiment a bit with zoom and focus.

Only a week till I start work on it :o)

Kieran
Kieran Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:05 AM   #178
Regular Crew

About connecting it to our cameras - this has become a major concern between my video compadre Spencer Houck and I. We're both concerned about the best way to secure this beast to our cameras. I noticed someone had a 58mm thread glued into the back of the spindle - I had that same idea, but since this thing is a little front heavy methinks it'll put a lot of strain on the threads. It might not be such a idea to secure it that way and warp the threads, after all, I really do like the ability to switch adapters and filters!

We were thinking more along the lines of a bayonet mount (for those of us that have lens hoods). We tried looking for a place that sells the lens hood alone for the GL1/VX2K, but alas, no dice. I think it's an important issuse, I'd like to hear what others have to say - esp. those that don't have a bayonet mount. How do you do it Agus?
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:53 AM   #179
Major Player

I used WMV 9 to encode the footage, if you do'nt ahve Media Player 9, you can't view it. Sorry.

On the mount... I guess you can also constructut a plate that attaches to the Agus35, that your camera screws into. That way, the weight is not on the mounting threads to hold the entire assembly up. It'd be a big unit all together, but it would give you more weight and would resemble a film camera even more!

Wow i suspect if I can get a 3D model of this Agus35 caseing made, I can use the prototype machine at my school and get a 3D copy of it printed. Then somewhere on campus I can get copies of this thing made. Perhaps get a two piece design that screws togeether, compelete with the holes to accept adapter rings?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:55 AM   #180
Regular Crew

Got mine working... it is VERY shakey. I plan on building a better model that won't shake as much next. the DOF is great. I wish I could flip/reverse the image rather than do it in post....
Peter Sciretta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods