Homemade 35mm Adapter - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 8th, 2003, 08:58 AM   #181
Regular Crew

here are two images...

http://www.orfilms.com/35test.jpg

http://www.orfilms.com/35test2.jpg
Peter Sciretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:45 AM   #182
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Devin Doyle :
We were thinking more along the lines of a bayonet mount (for those of us that have lens hoods). We tried looking for a place that sells the lens hood alone for the GL1/VX2K, but alas, no dice. I think it's an important issuse, I'd like to hear what others have to say - esp. those that don't have a bayonet mount. How do you do it Agus? -->>>

I use a metal piece that connects to the tripod hole in the camera, so the whole piece is more stable
Agus Casse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:48 AM   #183
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Sciretta : Got mine working... it is VERY shakey. I plan on building a better model that won't shake as much next. the DOF is great. I wish I could flip/reverse the image rather than do it in post.... -->>>

If it is shakey, the GG could be centered, but not aligned, so it moves back and forward a little, try to correct that. Congrats...

So if i am not mistaken, there should be like 6 Agus35 adapters built this far and that we know because of the thread?
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:56 AM   #184
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Agus Casse :

So if i am not mistaken, there should be like 6 Agus35 adapters built this far and that we know because of the thread? -->>>

7 if you count the one I'm trying to build.

I found this piece of ground glass that I'll have to get cut:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2968796829&category=29981&rd=1

And two spare Nikon mount flanges:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2969208892&category=4702&rd=1

So now its just a matter of trying to figure out how to rig the thing with my dvx100. I have a brother who is a CNC machinist who may help me out on this.
Matt Gottshalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #185
Major Player

try to make a metal skeleton from the camera to the adapter

BTW those rings looks beatiful, but how is that you will lock your lens ? you need a release button like the SLR camera have. i am about to post some footage, but i am low in webspace...
Old December 8th, 2003, 11:59 AM   #186
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Agus Casse : try to make a metal skeleton from the camera to the adapter

BTW those rings looks beatiful, but how is that you will lock your lens ? you need a release button like the SLR camera have. i am about to post some footage, but i am low in webspace... -->>>

If I'm not mistaken the relase button is actually on the lens, not the camera.
Old December 8th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #187
Major Player

not on my minolta lens, you release them from the camera.
Old December 8th, 2003, 12:01 PM   #188
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Agus Casse : not on my minolta lens, you release them from the camera. -->>>

You're right...maybe I'll have to tear apart an old Nikon F body camera and rig it that way.
Old December 8th, 2003, 12:05 PM   #189
Major Player

yeah, watch out for the weight...

i think i will start experimenting with some metal rods...
Old December 8th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #190
Major Player

I'm about 1/2 way done my Agus35 Pro :)

I picked up a black "project box" from Radio Shack yesterday ($6.99), and a few other miscelanea...a switch, some wire, 9v batteries, a 9v battery clasp, etc. I spent about $18 total.

Then I went to Home Depot and picked up some epoxy ($5), a length of scrap 1/2inch PVC piping (for support rails - $0), a velcro strap ($5), and to attach the camera to the Agus35, a 3"-3" adjustable pipe coupling ($5).

I've got the other parts here already - an old Sony disc man, a clear CD from a spindle, and an array of cutting/drilling tools.

Incidently - if you plan on making more than one of these things, there are 54 and 57mm diameter dremel bits at Home Depot, that fit into a standard drill. Might be perfect for lens mounts.

The Radio Shack project box (dimensions: 8x6x3 inches; fitted back) is the perfect thickness for lens mounting - you just cut a hole the size of your lens, cutting notches where the lens pops in, and give it a twist - presto!

Preliminary pics:

http://ideaspora.net/box-front.jpg

http://ideaspora.net/inside-rear.jpg

Agus - email me if you need server space for footage. I've got a dedicated server with room to host plenty.

- jim
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #191
Major Player

Kool, Jim, you got a big box there :) ... so pro ah ! kool

Do you use MSN messenger ? you can contact me at kamicasse@hotmail.com if you have any doubts that i could help, btw.. nice drilling.. .almost perfect and the lens fit and kinda of lock up... right ?
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:43 PM   #192
Major Player

Yeah, the lens mount worked out OK, I guess. Little rough around the edges, but...it does lock into place.

Bob, over at Indieclub.com, advised using a F-to-C mount adapter to mount the lenses. You wound then just have to mill a hole in your adapter box and then you could switch lenses freely.

He also suggested using a chroziel matte box to connect the camera to the unit.

Here's an F-C mount from Century Optics, costing $60.

Here's the link to the thread I've started, including Bob's advice.

- jim
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:54 PM   #193
Major Player

I some people have been concerned with flipping the image in post. Maybe you could build an adapter that would "hold" the camera upside down??? Would this work??? Agus, have you tried this? I realize that you would not have accessibility to all controls, but as I understand it you get the camcorder dialed in and leave it alone....just thinking out loud....
Old December 8th, 2003, 02:10 PM   #194
Barry Wan Kenobi

That is the most ridiculous, absurd, WONDERFUL idea I think I've ever heard -- just mount the camera upside-down! That might actually work! And it'd give you a hair better picture quality because you'd eliminate the need for mirrors and prisms!

You'd have to use an external monitor, because your LCD and viewfinder would now be upside down, but that is a cool idea! You'd also have to rig up a mounting system so you still had a tripod socket, etc...

Not sure I'd want to show up in front of a client with it, but for guerilla indie filmmaking, that kind of thinking is the bomb!
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 02:20 PM   #195
Major Player

Here is a tip for those that have too much trouble shooting inverted... flip a little the lcd screen just after it turns to mirror mode, in that way you will be able to get a corrected image.
Agus Casse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods