Homemade 35mm Adapter - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 9th, 2003, 04:20 PM   #226
Major Player

Ok, tomorrow i will try to open a new post, explaing from a scratch how to build it, and showing diferent examples...

PLEASE everyone that have built the adapter, PLEASE SEND THE PICTURES that you have post in here, or new ones so i can also use them as example of diferent versions...

Thanks Again for the support of this adapter, and prepare because maybe after new year, the comercial version will be out.
Agus Casse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 04:47 PM   #227
Major Player

Sounds great. Any ideas about the price?
Old December 9th, 2003, 04:52 PM   #228
New Boot

Hello all. ........I'm not a genius when it comes to cameras and that sort of thing. If fact, I'm not a genius at all. ........anyway ....Agus .....I dont understand how you are focusing on the projected image, with the lens of the camera so close. ....(2 or 3 inches?) .........Seems like it would have to be at least 7 or 8 inches away before you could start to focus? .....Can you explain how you are achieving the focus at such a close proximity?

thanks,

chris
Chris Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 04:58 PM   #229
Major Player

Agus,

...so this will be your long awaited tutorial???? Can't wait...got some of the materials yesterday, now just need time!!! Thanks again for everything you have done for this project....

Long live the Agus35!!!

Clay
Old December 9th, 2003, 05:40 PM   #230
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Black : Seems like it would have to be at least 7 or 8 inches away before you could start to focus? .....Can you explain how you are achieving the focus at such a close proximity?

thanks,

chris -->>>

Chris -- you need a macro adapter, which allows your camera to get focus at objects less than an inch or two away from your lens.

Agus is using a wide-angle/macro adapter built for the small, 1-chip Sony cams - it goes for about $35 off of eBay, I think. The unit is two pieces - a small macro attachment that sits behind a wide-angle attachment - they screw apart, giving you access to the macros function. Depending on the size of your cam, the adapter is threaded for 37mm, and you may need a step-up ring.

If you have a GL1/GL2 or another camera with 58mm threading, Century Optics makes macro adapters going for $210.

- jim
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 06:32 PM   #231
Regular Crew

Well isn't there a macro mode on the GL2? If you simply zoom all the way out and focus manually? Would that work?
Stewart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 06:50 PM   #232
Trustee

No, I doubt the Gl2 could focus anywhere near that close - my XM2 can't....Just build a long adapter ;)

Aaron
Old December 9th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #233
Regular Crew

Hey, i drew a diagram of how I THINK it is built like. agus, plz let us know if it is correct. and i also have 1 question, how are you keep the entire thing connected to the camera lense? doesn't it fall off?

http://www.metafilms.net/upload_images/agus35.gif

or link: http://www.metafilms.net/upload_images/agus35.gif
Danny Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 07:35 PM   #234
Obstreperous Rex

The GL2 does in fact have a superb built-in macro mode. Take off the lens hood, zoom out all the way to full wide. As long as there's enough light, the auto focus will pull in objects tack-sharp right to the surface of the glass. I've shown this feature to people many times, and it works great!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 08:36 PM   #235
Trustee

Chris, that's good to know. I usually focus manually, and have had all manner of troubles focusing close (i.e. just wouldn't happen) On my ladyx couldn't get closer than about 30 cm to one subject I was shooting. I'll experiment some more

Aaron
Old December 9th, 2003, 09:50 PM   #236
Regular Crew

would that telephoto lens support be long enough for say a pd150 or gl1????
Peter Sciretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 11:03 PM   #237
New Boot

questions...

Couple questions...

I'm curious if anyone has tried this with a DV953 yet? I think I'm going to tackle the project this weekend.

Also, I've been searching ebay for a 35mm lens to buy, and got lost in the hundreds of options...what are some good lenses for the Agus35 setup?

Agus this is definately the coolest thing ever...thanks man! ;)
Mike Bridgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 11:53 PM   #238
Regular Crew

Instead of ground glass or sandblasting or the like... what about using some FROSTED MILAR film. I've used it for shooting rear projected slides and as a diffuser for shooting HD from 4X5 transparencies. for the thin film I sandwiched it between glass or just taped it to one side of a glass sheet. You might be able to go with a plastic that's thicker and avoid the glass altogether.... Just a thought
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:36 AM   #239
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : The GL2 does in fact have a superb built-in macro mode. Take off the lens hood, zoom out all the way to full wide. As long as there's enough light, the auto focus will pull in objects tack-sharp right to the surface of the glass. I've shown this feature to people many times, and it works great! -->>>

This won't work with the Agus35, though, as you need to zoom in on the suspended picture (not out), and you're not going to have a lot of light at your disposal. Which leads me to...

<<<-- Also, I've been searching ebay for a 35mm lens to buy, and got lost in the hundreds of options...what are some good lenses for the Agus35 setup? -->>>

You want to get the fastest lens around, which for a reasonable price would be a f/1.4. There are new, faster lenses - a new f/1.2 runs for about $560 new, half that used, but f/1.4's go for about $120.

Incidently, Canon makes an f/1 that goes for $2,600!

Re: the frosted mylar - where can we get some?

- jim
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:59 AM   #240
Regular Crew

Would an f/1.8 lens do?

About the focussing using Gl2, how about if you brought the projected image closer to the lens so you don't have to zoom in on it? You can then manually focus whilst in macro mode to focus the image?
Stewart McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods