Homemade 35mm Adapter - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 9th, 2003, 07:08 AM   #211
Inner Circle

I know where you are coming from and have no issue in bringing the product fairly to the masses who could never be in the marketplace for the Mini35 for the very reasons you state.

The open-source movement as exampled by the Linux community illustrates where it can go to the benefit of everyone and I guess this is the ideal you seek with the Agus35.

Like you, I like to experiment and innovate, some things work, some don't, - home made steadicam, window mount, camera crane which automatically tilts the camera at groundlevel and can be set to automatically find a preset height, all without added power, Super16 conversions of CP16 and Bolex H16RX5 motion film cameras.

One of the more morally bankrupt and unjust examples of patent exclusivity in recent times has been the attempt by pharmaceutical companies to effectively deny essential medications to people in the poorer countries by trying to block low-cost production of reverse engineered generic substitutes.

In relation to the Mini35 substitute, there are however some people who may be less protected in some countries from ruinous litigation than in others. They simply need to be mindful of this possibility and then proceed accordingly.

The open-source ideal, if this is what you are collectively embracing might best be protected by the Agus35 movement assuming some organised identity, registering and patenting its own innovations in all countries where there are builders before other players register them and lock you all out. Then make these innovations open to all to use on condition that furthur innovations built on the earlier work are themselves free to all designers. At the least, through company law in many countries, this might protect individuals from suit. The Linux open-source community model might be a good one to study.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 09:46 AM   #212
Major Player

Hi everyone -

I just found a 35mm camera support that may be helpful. I just emailed Chris some photos. Thanks again for this great project.
Richard Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 10:26 AM   #213
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Mellor : Hi everyone -

I just found a 35mm camera support that may be helpful. I just emailed Chris some photos. Thanks again for this great project. -->>>

Care to post the pics here, or email them to me and I'll host them on my webspace? (or provide a link to info about the support?)

Thanks...

- jim
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 10:35 AM   #214
Major Player

How to mount it all to the camera:

Tape is a good ally, as well as hot glue, if dont try to build a lens mount, copy the shape and lock system from the SLR camera. then make a metal skeleton (you can use metal rods, or just a metal piece) that connects the adapter to the tripod hole of your dv camera.
Agus Casse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 11:14 AM   #215
Major Player

Okay, I never post on these forums, but this is too cool! I'm gonna have to give this a shot.

Also, in regard to this comment:

"We tried looking for a place that sells the lens hood alone for the GL1/VX2K, but alas, no dice."

If you go to http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ar_3=DCRVX2000, and look under "Other Accessories", you can find the LSF-S58 lens hood to fit a VX2000 (if that link doesn't work, just go to sonystyle.com, and use the Accessory Finder).

I'm still trying to find out where I can get a 2100's lens hood to stick on my 2000...not for this project, however.

Keep up the good work, Agus, this is great!
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 12:31 PM   #217
Trustee

Richard, where did you find this support? Do you have a part number, or any infos to help us to find a similar one?
Old December 9th, 2003, 12:40 PM   #218
Major Player

the model number is:3420 telephoto lens support and it is made by manfrotto
Richard Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 01:37 PM   #219
Regular Crew

This is too funny - it's almost as if this was made for the Agus35 :-)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=126662&is=REG

paulb
Paul Bettner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #220
Major Player

Beatiful, welcome to the club... who is the image coming ? any good footage to show ? what did you use to adapt the lens to the adaptor ?
Old December 9th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #221
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Richard Mellor's most recent photos: -->>>

That's great. I'm assembling the rod system for my Agus35 Pro now, and I'm using a velcro strap from Home Depot ($4), too.

I found a used Nikon f/1.4 lens today for $120, and picked it up. Now I'm scouring eBay for an old Nikon body for sale - a lot of them that are damaged will go for $20 or so, which significantly undercuts the cost of the F-to-C mount adapter. I picked up a jeweler's screwdriver for $6 from Home Depot today and it should allow me to disassemble the bayonet mount with ease.

More to come soon...

- jim
Jim Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 02:28 PM   #222
Major Player

hey Jim,.

Post some pics as soon as you get it all together.
Old December 9th, 2003, 03:01 PM   #223
Trustee

Ok, maybe I'm missing something but why are people looking for F to C adapters? Is this so you can have a standard lens mount on the outside of your Agus35 but still use F mount lenses if you need to? Because the Agus35 fits between cam and lens other than that reason I don't see any other need for a lens adapter.

Aaron
Old December 9th, 2003, 03:15 PM   #224
Regular Crew

It's so that if people want to be able to interchange the lenses easily, they can. Without it you'll be gluing your lense straight to the mount. This way it gives people the option of not limiting the lense to only this adapter and also gives people the ability to choose different lenses.
Old December 9th, 2003, 04:11 PM   #225
Trustee

Thanks Noah, just as I thought, just wanted to check that I wasn't missing some vital element in the whole thing. This thread has exploded and it's a nightmare navigating through it now.

Aaron

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods