High Definition with Elphel model 333 camera - Page 50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Closed Thread

Old June 26th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #736
Major Player

Isn't real film shot at 1/48 shutter? If the sensor reads the frame fast but keeps "adding light" for 1/48 of a second wouldn't it result in more motion blur?

I'm also very interested in getting filmlike motion blur with the Elphel cause I'm using the same micron sensor for my project.
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #737
Inner Circle

The method I mentioned allows everything to be done. Dropping every second frame gives the conventional film look for 25fps HDTV, slowing 4% gives conventional film look, ever drop framed can be used to smooth out the motion at 24/25fps. Using all the frames gives an ultra-smooth 50p HDTV or digital Cinema, or interlace frames can be easily extracted, allowing for distribution across all formats with the minimum, of image recalculations. The issue is, what is future proof? At 720p50 it can be done in 100mb/s, 1080p50 would need an bit more. At the moment, he industry is waking up to 50p/60p (and 60p HDTV should be able to display higher quality 50p).
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #738
Inner Circle

An month without an post, you guys are never that quiet, what's happening?
Old July 27th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #739
Regular Crew

maybe all of you are on holiday!

or maybe someone is gone to another project? ....New DIY HD Cinema Camera Project??

for me I'm here and I'm looking on the net for good medium format lens to use with my next adapter :-)
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:07 AM   #740
Major Player

Hey, I still take a look at this thread from time to time. The Elphel's the only one that can do what we can't do yet. Deliver an already compressed stream to the computer. Data rate's not as large as uncompressed raw so recording to disk is possible.

They're also using the same Micron sensor we were testing, so we know image and motion are just great. Very filmlike.

I hope Andrey's still working on it.
Old July 27th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #741
Regular Crew

Last activity in the CVS was 7 days ago, so yeah they are basically updating the code every week...
Old July 27th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #742
Regular Crew

I've found on the net this sensor ...is a strange one is square global shutter and is very big http://download.cypress.com.edgesuit...upa_4000_8.pdf
if it is not too expansive maybe can be used for the next elphel
Old July 27th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #743
Major Player

I think that's the one Cypress offered me. The guy didn't say the reference but he said it was a big global shutter sensor that was able to do 2k 2.39:1 at 24fps. He said it was a bit pricey too.
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #744
Regular Crew

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/946...lupa4000m.html

1750$ :whistle:
I don't know if it's the nude sensor because it's in the evaluation kit category but yeah, "a bit pricey" ;)
Old July 27th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #745
Major Player

That's just the sensor. I've read somewhere the price for the whole evaluation package is like $5000. Anyway the guy from Cypress will send me a price list on monday.
Old July 28th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #746
Regular Crew

wow 1750 dollars only the sensor
compared to the micron that is 33.19$
....if in some year it will be taken for cheap
I think that this is what we need...
no adaptor 35mm sensor size and the possibility
to "shift the image" like some very expansive lens
....full to control vertical architecture line distorsion :-)
(this can be made already but with less benefit cause the size of the sensor)
and all in camera maybe it can be adapted to the elphel 353
and with these spec. :-) it will rock
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #747
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose A. Garcia View Post
Hey, I still take a look at this thread from time to time. The Elphel's the only one that can do what we can't do yet. Deliver an already compressed stream to the computer. Data rate's not as large as uncompressed raw so recording to disk is possible.

They're also using the same Micron sensor we were testing, so we know image and motion are just great. Very filmlike.

I hope Andrey's still working on it.
It is also much cheaper and smaller than what is being proposed over there, more comprehensive. You are looking at the a size very close to the existing small box (handheld).

The Micron, I don't like the quality, an few years back it was obviously inferior to what else was available (but not an FF Ibis5a relying on internal ADC) but we can only hope that the modern micron binned to 720p can accomplish something.

The Lupa sensor is probably not available at an cheap price, it was monochrome only requiring an expensive for color. They mention it is available with color mask, maybe it has changed. Altasens is an better choice I think, they have an increased range.
Old July 28th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #748
Major Player

Altasens doesn't support small projects. They were my first option.
Old July 29th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #749
Major Player

Yes, this thread is a bit quiet lately.
I have the 353, but I just want to get started on it when I 'really' have the time.
I think within a month I can spend all my free time on this project again.

Andrey was (or still is) in China for the development of some parts, so it seems quiet, but there's probably allot going on. I'll be shooting another test in the middle of France the coming weeks, but I'll probably use the 333, because I don't have portable power or a power transformer for a car battery yet for the 535. I don't think I have an internet connection in France, but if I do, I'll post what I'm doing.
I think the Elphel still is the most promising camera for us 'alternative imaging' filmmakers.
Old July 29th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #750
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose A. Garcia View Post
Altasens doesn't support small projects. They were my first option.
Yes, I know, I tried to talk to them ages ago, but you can go through their agents, like hanvision. They are producing an number of different chips in the background, apparently, and so you can find cameras based on them. Foveon should be getting an move on, to go big and license more, before their patent worth runs down.

Oscar

The Elphel is still the most promising, but converting an still or webcam, or doing HDMI on something cheap, is still desirable.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project