High Definition with Elphel model 333 camera - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project

Closed Thread

Old April 24th, 2006, 03:34 AM   #106
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge Victorovich
Question to Andrey Filippov
It is possible record compressed RAW (similar to CineformRAW) from smos direct-to-hdd with small modification of existing architecture of Elphel333 ?
No - that will be a major redesign - our cameras do not have a disk interface.
Old April 24th, 2006, 03:55 AM   #107
Major Player

Thank you, Andrey for clarification. How much cost work to make a such solution camera:
Compressed RAW from CMOS direct-to-disk and streaming proxy (low 1/2 or 1/4 resolution) through GIGe ?
Old April 24th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #108
Major Player

I think it would be out of the way for Andrey right now. he makes High resolution Network cameras mainly for security purposes. This thread is for tests done with his current design to make it possible for filmmaking. His design right now really really good quality. I should be getting my lenses in these few days. and ill show you what i mean.
Old April 24th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #109
Major Player

Forrest (and others)

I got my camera a few days ago. I'm not able to do tests this week because I'm out of the country, but I'll follow this thread and post my results when I'm back.
Old April 27th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #110
Major Player

heres a test with the new f1.3 computar varifocal lens:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...etti/rexx5.jpg

sorry for the horrible lighting, i had the blown out areas because that paper is glossy and i was getting light reflected from through the windows from outside. and my back is basiaclly a wall of french doors, (glass doors) so they all are windows.
Old April 27th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #111
Major Player

Pardon my ignorance, but can this camera acquire motion video at more than 8 bits deep ?
Other than that, what are we gaining over a normal HD video camera , other than something to tinker with ?
It's good to see people trying out new devices! keep it up!
-Les
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:42 AM   #112
Major Player

have a look please

bonjour

as I did tell you,
have a mechanical shutter,
use a classical viewfinder

I lost this link
voila
here it goes
www.arri.de/entry/416.htm

nothing is dead, it is brand new
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:44 AM   #113
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Dit
Pardon my ignorance, but can this camera acquire motion video at more than 8 bits deep ?
Other than that, what are we gaining over a normal HD video camera , other than something to tinker with ?
It's good to see people trying out new devices! keep it up!
-Les
a really good one, who knows??

direct to disc
a huge choice of lenses
and so on
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:28 AM   #114
Major Player

Ronald, would you have any idea as to know how sync a 180 degree shutter to the Elphel's stream? It would be very cool in theroy, but i dont think id be able to build something that would cover the light at the right time inervals.

and after that was built, the viewfinder would go next.

Thank you for that link, i think i figured out what else i need to make the viefinder i was going to make. that pechan prism looks very handy.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:22 AM   #115
Major Player

an old one

http://home.teleport.com/~gdi/25pscha.htm
came up decades ago
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...25808&page=140
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:37 PM   #116
Major Player

a question

So
maybe an idiot one
but how to get sync out of this board??
Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:18 PM   #117
Major Player

The 3mp micron chip that the elphel uses is capable of running snapshots in global reset mode which means all the lines are exposed at the same time, but this requires a mechanical shutter to cut it off at the end (i assume exposure time becomes longer for the lower lines because they just keep exposing until readout gets to them or something). also the chip has the ability to recieve an external trigger that begins a frame. I assume that if you run in global reset mode with a mechanical shutter, you lose the ability to have much longer than 180degree shuttters, but rolling shutter artifacts would be totally removed. The question is whether or not elphel has support for these functions and if you can find a way to hook up a crystal to the camera and the shutter. WIthout this, i dont think a mechanical shutter would do much since the actual exposure period of the first and last rows, in many configurations, hardly even overlap at all, so youd just end up reducing the exposure of probably the first and last rows, basically darkening the tops and bottom of the frame.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM   #118
Major Player

Andrey,

Just curious, I downloaded the open source stuff and was picking through you FPGA code.

Since I'm not to familiar with Verilog (I'm coding in VHDL) I was wondering if you have any documentation to go with the compressor. Is all the compression done in the FPGA, I only took a quick look and its hard to tell from unfamiliar code, or do you have to do entropy encoding in the processor or something.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:52 PM   #119
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Wakeham
Since I'm not to familiar with Verilog (I'm coding in VHDL) I was wondering if you have any documentation to go with.
I'm pretty sure that their would be translation tools out there, from one to the other, if that would help you.
Old May 4th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #120
Major Player

Ogg Theora Information
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project