High Definition with Elphel model 333 camera - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Closed Thread

Old May 7th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #121
Inner Circle

Andrey,

I have some good news, that I will be posting sometime over in my digital cinema technical thread.

I have reviewed the sensor information and things have changed quiet a bit. Kodak is supposed to have some 100K -ev well sensor chip, so I am interested in those Kodak options you mentioned.

Micron has got superwideVGA chip with multislope, so I am interested if any of their chips that you use in future have this excellent feature.

But the biggie, apart from some behinds the scenes doc I have on a new sensor people have been eagerly waiting for for years that is quiet an excellent choice for you (though not in price). Is that I have found a cheap Russian, alternative to the x3 Foveon. I will email you privately as I want some space to negotiate with them first, without non business/electronics professional people rushing them for information.

Thanks

Wayne.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #122
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
Andrey,

I have some good news, that I will be posting sometime over in my digital cinema technical thread.
Wayne,

sorry for late reply - I'm just back from the linuxtag.org. I really appreciate information on the new sensors but I can not work with them myself (at least in near future) - there are so many current projects. So right now I can just provide some help to somebody who can work on them.

Andrey
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #123
Major Player

Funny you dismissed me like more than a year ago when I asked you about using your camera for High Definition stuff.
Now I see you here....
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #124
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan M. M. Fiebelkorn
Funny you dismissed me like more than a year ago when I asked you about using your camera for High Definition stuff.
Now I see you here....
It is not my speciality :-) , and this application of our cameras is community-driven.
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #125
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey Filippov
Wayne,

sorry for late reply - I'm just back from the linuxtag.org. I really appreciate information on the new sensors but I can not work with them myself (at least in near future) - there are so many current projects. So right now I can just provide some help to somebody who can work on them.

Andrey
That's OK, but I know that you work with micron and mentioned Kodaks. Do any of the Microns that you are using, are planing to, use the dual/multislope. You were talking about the Kodak, are you planning on using the 100K -ev ones, or the 65K -ev ones?

Thanks

Wayne.
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:09 AM   #126
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Spier
Forrest (and others)

I got my camera a few days ago. I'm not able to do tests this week because I'm out of the country, but I'll follow this thread and post my results when I'm back.
Oscar,
Any luck using this camera???
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #127
Major Player

I'm sorry it took so long.... I had a lot of trouble finding a way to capture the footage. I now have figured out a stupid work around, so that's OK for now.

I had luck finding a very (as far as I can tell from my first tests) good C - mount lens on an 'antique' 16mm film camera. here are some tests shots I made with the camera and the lens:
http://bosshogg.logjam.com/oscar/Elphel/rez.jpeg
http://bosshogg.logjam.com/oscar/Elphel/rose.jpg
http://bosshogg.logjam.com/oscar/Elphel/rose1.jpg
http://bosshogg.logjam.com/oscar/Elp...-artifact).jpg

Two of the shots with the rose (shot through a dirty window) are toughed up in AE. One of them 'rose(de-artifact) ' has some enhancements (de-artifact and 0,5 box-blur) to reduce the compression distortions of the Elphel camera.

One of the big problems I still have is the rolling shutter effect on quick moves.

I'm also working on the wax adapter.
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #128
Major Player

do a green screen test to see how the color compression is
Old May 24th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #129
Major Player

Oscar, those rose grabs where at about 1700 by 800. what fps where you able to capture that at? or where they more for still test purposes.
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #130
Major Player

No, it's a real frame-grab from a clip I shot at 24 fps (1728 x 896)
I'm very glad and surprised that my 1.5 GHZ Intel celeron (!) laptop can capture at that resolution. When I make a battery pack of some sort for the camera I'm very mobile already...only one cable between the laptop and the camera.
How are you doing with you Elphel Forrest?
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #131
Inner Circle

Theres no surprise, you are getting from 30-70mbs (from what I seem to understand) which is upto around 9MBytes second, next to nothing and a number of drives can handle that now days.
Old May 25th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #132
Regular Crew

Forrest or Oscar,
Have you tried playing with higher frame rates for slow motion shots? 640 X360 would be like letterboxed standard def, and you could get framerates up to probably over 100fps. It may not look very good at that low resolution, Then again, until the recent HD cams, SD was just fine. In conjuction with a 35mm adapter to make the subject pop, you'll be able to do some really cool slow motion.

Also, does the camera do windowing or sub-sampling for lower res?

Overall I really like this experiment that Forrest and Oscar are trying, the heavy compression keeps it from being a real professional camera, but it's affordable, has a manageable data rate, and can do real slow motion (I hope).

There should be a whole host of new Gig-E and firewire B standard industrial cameras coming out soon that will be the subject of much experimentation, which is great.

Thanks guys, neat thread here...
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #133
Inner Circle

Which new cameras are those? You know there are already thousands of industrial cameras.
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #134
Regular Crew

Quote:
Which new cameras are those? You know there are already thousands of industrial cameras.
I said "should" and "whole host"
not "know" and "thousands".

Rob at Graftek (http://www.graftek.com) discussed it with me. He said that "when new faster connectivity standards come out so do new devices that can take take advantage of the extra bandwidth; ; so expect a whole host of new industrial cameras in a few months." Made sense to me, so I thought I'd voice my enthusiasm.
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #135
Regular Crew

Industrial Cameras

Quote:
double post, oops
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project