High Definition with Elphel model 333 camera - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Closed Thread

Old June 30th, 2006, 03:55 AM   #181
New Boot

re: sensors for 333

Andrey Filippov , thanks for clarifying circumstances.
Then I want to concentrate on the new.
I hope that, the 5Mpix sensor profides a higher framrate at ROI.
My dream is 1280x720@50... with the remaining rolling-shutter distortion >=50fps i could live.
Please let me know, if you have experience about it.

Thanks , neat thread here...
Robert
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #182
Regular Crew

Hi Andrey can you tell us how many MBytes/sec can transfer the next 353 model? (if you can) I'm looking for a notebook to use it so what I have to look for? 10/100 ethernet and 5400 hd is ok or I need more? the new macbook can run the live cd or not?
and about the software I've downloaded the live cd but without any camera I can't run the recording program! is there a way to view the graphic user interface (to see what can do by now and give you, if I or someone have,some ideas to make it better)? ....what I know are the pics on the wiki pages... I've look for the gui of the silicon imaging 1920... and I want to make something similar for the camera I'm planning to bild! so I've some idea for a touch screen user interface for a 7" monitor ...I don't know linux (for now) so what program I need, and to learn, to change the GUI of the elphel recording program? and is there someone that whant to help me?
Many thanks
and best reguards

Matteo Pozzi
Old July 10th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #183
Regular Crew

What is going on!? no news from none of you!
can't wait to see new pics videos or news!
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #184
Major Player

Busy with 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo Pozzi
What is going on!? no news from none of you!
can't wait to see new pics videos or news!
5MPix boards tested, more sensors and production batch of the revised boards ordered.

Really busy now making PCB layout for the 353 that will among others accomodate IDE port (I mean - it seems to fit nicely on the board without increasing dimensions).
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #185
Inner Circle

Come again, are you saying that you will have direct to disk recording (I am surprised)? Can you outline the features and performance of this camera?

I am considering the BBC open Dirac wavelet codec on FPGA, to see if it is a suitable target for your camera. I discovered something rather neat, and up my sort of compression alley, 3D Wavelet compression, that compresses over time as well as the screen. I have been wondering what this 3D wavelet stuff was. I understand they use wavelets in security camera applications. If it can be applied to bayer, as cineform did with their wavelet, then 100Mb/s could give 720p bayer lossless, and 1080p visually lossless. Very higher performance.
Old July 20th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #186
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
Come again, are you saying that you will have direct to disk recording (I am surprised)? Can you outline the features and performance of this camera?
It uses newer/faster Axis ETRAX FS, slightly (20%) bigger FPGA (largest in the same size package), twice each memory (64MB video + 64MB system + 32MB flash), USB 1.1 (available in the Axis chip) and ATA-6 (routed to a high density connector so adapter will be needed to connect actual disks). System design makes use of actual bus switching in addition to pseudo-DMA channels of ETRAX - that can provide 5x bandwidth between the FPGA and the system memory.
Small 12GB HDD can fit into the current body.
Old July 20th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #187
Regular Crew

wait wait...is it possible to record directly to hdd? what is the meaning of "USB 1.1 (available in the Axis chip) and ATA-6" ...we can connect a microphone for example or a video out signal through the usb is that the meaning ?!? thanks for the info
Matteo
Old July 20th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #188
Major Player

Ata, Usb

Quote:
wait wait...is it possible to record directly to hdd?
Yes, that's the goal.

Quote:
what is the meaning of "USB 1.1 (available in the Axis chip) and ATA-6" ...we can connect a microphone
Also - yes - the easiest way to get audio in.

Quote:
or a video out signal through the usb
Don't think so - it is USB 1.1, not 2.0 and I don't know yet what will be the actual data rate from ETRAX FS available.
Old July 20th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #189
Regular Crew

Awesome. Keep us posted here on dvinfo :)
Old July 20th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #190
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey Filippov
ATA-6 (routed to a high density connector so adapter will be needed to connect actual disks)...
Small 12GB HDD can fit into the current body.
Does not support S-ata, that is small connector.

But the actual performance data rate, or the compressor, and through the ata, and the drive, where do they all max out? Can all do 12.5MByte/s, or can it do more, like 20MB/s etc?

What is the current plan for this camera (seems portable) and what is current plan for compression engines?

This looks much more promising for video than current camera.
Old July 20th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #191
Inner Circle

Have looked at ATA-6, needs DMA/UDMA to go above 16.6Mb/s if supported (upto 100MB/s) is this supported?

http://www.Seagate.com/training/ata/unit1/mt2p9.html

What we can look forwards to in the future, past hard disks. IBM is planning a Millipede SD memory card in the next year or so, uses atomic force microscope heads, 100GB ( I thought I read 150GB somewhere).

http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/03/11/ib...lay/index.html
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/index.php?p=1143&tag=nl.e539
http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/.../vettiger.html

12GB, can be so small as to mount on the motherboard, and somebody is bound to put these things into a hard drive that uses a small laptop IDE interface.

Very good for me, as I plan game system and third world platform.

Well thanks, impressive.
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #192
Major Player

Quote:
Does not support S-ata, that is small connector.
But the actual performance data rate, or the compressor, and through the ata, and the drive, where do they all max out?
I did not work with ETRAX FS yet (complete docs are available at http://developer.axis.com) so we'll see what it can provide. But compared to the current CPU it is twice faster and uses I/O coprocessor. On my side I design the hardware to use faster data transfer from FPGA to system memory (bursts of 400MB/sec, in 313/333 - 80MB/sec).

As for compressors engines - will use the same MJPEG and Theora, FPGA is just 1200K gates. I expect next year Xilinx will have something like Spartan 4 made on 65nm - then we'll be able to increase compressor performance.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 03:04 AM   #193
Inner Circle

Sorry, I thought you mentioned improvements to compressor engine for next model?

I am currently finding out about an alternative FPGA design, would that be of use?
Old July 22nd, 2006, 05:32 PM   #194
Major Player

Quote:
Sorry, I thought you mentioned improvements to compressor engine for next model?

I am currently finding out about an alternative FPGA design, would that be of use?
It is a big project to develop FPGA code for compressor. Theora took me some 2000 hours, Dirac will likely take more and I don't have such a window in my near future.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 04:58 AM   #195
Regular Crew

Some more 333 images of Provence, France (compressed, resized & made Mpeg4 friendly) http://www.tacx-video.com/images/HD2...oux/Nesp-route The crash jpeg has the car on the left thats about to pull out into us & smash our door in!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods > Apertus: Open Source Cinema Project