View Full Version : Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Matthew Nayman
April 26th, 2005, 09:13 AM
I would make the letters in a photoshop document and import them as a still (make the letters white).

Also, make a pure black frame the same size

Put your letter so nthe timeline, then put the black above it.

Now keyframe the black layer across the white layer to reveal the letter sunderneath (like moving a black peicec of paper across a transparent one on an overhead projector).

On the letters layer, apply a luminance key, and place your footage below that layer. so you key out the white and it will shoe to footage underneath...

Simple enough

Glen Chua
April 26th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Hey guys,
I was wondering if I could make titles like the ones shown in the opening of Se7en or something like the quick moving titles of this trailer in Adobe Preimere.
http://www.usd346.k12.ks.us/media/trailer.mov

If not, are there any type of Adobe add ons I could use, which are not too hard to use?

Thanks.

Brandon Greenlee
April 26th, 2005, 04:31 PM
I have a feeling that After Effects is going to be the program you are going to want for this type of work. Although if someone has a nice solution for using Premiere in this manner I would be open to it...

Cory Fehl
April 26th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Hi,

I have a project I am working on that is being shot on Mini DV with Canon GL2 and XL1s cameras. The goal is to zoom into some of the video to get closer to the action in slow motion. This is a hunting video and idealy we would optically zoom in but in the heat of a hunt its just not feasable.

The problem is that as you zoom into the video useing the EFFECT CONTROLS/FIXED EFFECTS/MOTION/SCALE property in Premeire Pro 1.5 you loose resolution and the video pixelation leaves you with a ugly picture. Is there a plug in or do you know a technique to clear up / clean up the video so it looks closer to full resolution.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Steven Gotz
April 26th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Sorry. There are only just so many pixels to go around. And software is not good at making 320X240 (a 200% zoom) pixels look good at 720X480. Each pixel is multiplied by four.

If you shot with HDV in a DV project, you could zoom in 200% or more and be OK because you started with more pixels than you needed.

What you are asking just isn't possible without a serious loss of quality. The television shows where they increase the resolution magically are just fiction.

One possibility is to do it one frame at a time. There is special software for this. Expensive, but it exists. I doubt it would make good video though.

Steven Gotz
April 26th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Simple enough, just time consuming and tedious work.

You need to create each title at the maximum size it will be shown, then get to work on the motion keyframes combining scale and position. You may even want two copies set up the same way but nudged one frame apart sometimes, and a few frames higher or lower sometimes.

Tedious work.

Aanarav Sareen
April 26th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Steven is correct. With DV resolution you have very little to play around with and it gets extremely difficult to get good quality images. Your one option would be to apply Gaussian Blur to enhance the quality of the image a little bit.

Eric Edmondson
April 26th, 2005, 06:22 PM
That was simple, thanks! :)

Mike Cecotka
April 26th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Hello,

How can I create mgeg4 or 2 with MP3 sound track with Adobe 6.5

Are there any plug-ins without getting out of 6.5?

Or do I have to export file and go to other encoder?

I'm looking at 320x240 internet stream

Thanks
Mike

Glen Chua
April 26th, 2005, 10:55 PM
There is no sweet third party program that can be added onto preimere??

Robert Double
April 27th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Hi,

I just wanted to share a little frustration. I am not sure whether it is born out of me using the tools incorrectly, or the tools not providing everything I need. Let me explain....

I started out using Premiere Pro, and it was great. Simple and easy. I then got hold of After Effects. It was a great addition. I done my editing in Premiere and fx in AE. It worked well, and my understanding of both programs has grown....

However the way that I now use the programs has changed dramatically. All I use Premiere for now is capturing the DV material, and I do all editing, effects, color correcting, etc., in AE. Somehow my intuition tells me that is not right but it's the most flexible and productive environment? It's not like the material I produce is full of effects, but the flexibility of the software is great.

The only thing that AE is missing is decent audio editing like Premiere.

Has anyone else travelled the same path or am I all alone??

Secondly, are there any other NLE's out there that have great Audio capabilities like Premiere (ie. VST plugin support etc.) + excellent effects with great support for a wide range of plugin's?

Thanks

Robert

Cheers

Robert

Clint Comer
April 27th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Does anyone know why in the 720 24p 10mbps vbr the frame size is 1280 x 720? It looks great for being stretched to that size. Should I be rendering my mpegs at that size? I mean it is a preset so it must some use. Up until now I have just been using a custom one I changed.

Jon Turner
April 27th, 2005, 04:19 AM
when using cakewalk sequencing applications, there is a feature called 'disc cleanup' that searches your hard drive for all source files that are no longer used by any of your projects. it provides you with a list of obsolete files that you can then preview and choose to delete if they are surplus to requirements.

is there a similar application for premiere? i can't find it on any of the pull-down menus.

Steven Gotz
April 27th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Sure! It is called "Adobe After Effects".

Seriously, there may be third party plugins, but I have not seen any for the effect you require.

Paulo Figueiredo
April 27th, 2005, 05:19 AM
premiere pro 1.5 has a specific tool for that purpose: project manager.
It allows you to trim the project and delete all the exceding files or copy the new trimmed version to a new location. It also automatically trims your sources to the used lenght in the project.
I think this feature has been there since the pro 1.0 but not shure since lately I've been using Edius 3 with better results (and it also as a consolidate project feature similar to the project manager in premiere)

Nathan Taylor
April 27th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Hi everyone.

I have a system running premiere 6.5 and am about to upgrade to Premiere pro 1.5.
My question is, can my old projects ive saved on my video drive in 6.5 be recognized in premiere pro?

If so - can i continue to edit them in pro 1.5?

Thanx :)

Christopher Lefchik
April 27th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Yes, you can open your old projects in Premiere Pro. It will convert them to the new project format, and you will then be able to continue editing them.

Christopher Lefchik
April 27th, 2005, 09:35 AM
The project manager was present in Premiere 6 and 6.5. I don't know if it was in earlier versions. When Premiere Pro was rewritten from the ground up it wasn't included in version 1, but came back with more features than the earlier project manager in Premiere Pro 1.5. It's a very handy feature, I must say.

Christopher Lefchik
April 27th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Robert, I answered your post in the "Non-linear DV Editing on the PC" section. Please post in only one section. It makes it easier for everyone to keep track of the replies. Thanks!

Dave Ferdinand
April 27th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Also, some of the effects have now changed in PPro, but there's backwards compatibility.

However, when changing from 6 to PPro, I realized that some video effects wouldn't work properly. But I would say 95% do.

Dave Ferdinand
April 27th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Does anyone know how to adjust the color by tonal range?

That is, choose yellows (or whatever) and adjust their hue/saturation?

I know there is control for shadows/midtones/highlights but I haven't found a way to adjust by tone - pretty much like Photoshop does.

Johan Manders
April 27th, 2005, 12:17 PM
I don't work with Premiere Pro, but I don't think PPro has secondary color correction.
You can use plugins like Color Finesse.

Brandon Greenlee
April 27th, 2005, 02:37 PM
I don't believe Adobe Premiere has these capabilities yet.

If I remember correctly only Quicktime Pro allows you to do this. Since Final Cut is based on Quicktime - you might also be able to do it through Final Cut as well - but don't hold me to that.

Christopher Lefchik
April 27th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Premiere Pro can do it if you choose QuickTime as the format, at which point you can pick MPEG-4 as the codec. I don't know if this is possible in Premiere 6.5. My suggestion is to check your export options.

Just a word of warning. The QuickTime MPEG-4 codec is not very good. I ended up using Nero Recode (part of the Nero 6 suite), which did a much better job. It's close to the quality of the Sorenson MPEG-4 codec. The drawback is that the file Nero Recode creates can't be streamed.

Dan Euritt
April 27th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Hello,

How can I create mgeg4 or 2 with MP3 sound track with Adobe 6.5

you are trying to do this in order to upload a vid clip to the new google video search engine... afaik, it ain't gonna happen, because that combo of formats is not legal anywhere, so the software programs won't allow it.

imho, those silly requirements are a major boondoggle for google... i spent several hours hacking thru procoder, sorenson squeeze 4, quicktime, womble, etc., and none of 'em would output what google wants.

if you know of another program that will combine those formats without re-encoding anything, please post it.

Glen Chua
April 27th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Sure! It is called "Adobe After Effects".

Seriously, there may be third party plugins, but I have not seen any for the effect you require.

I have Adobe After Effects, but it has a steep learning curve and I haven't had the time to learn it yet. Also, Adobe After Effects is not a third party plugin.

Cory Fehl
April 27th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Borris FX and Graphiti have some cool plug in text effects and AE has some good text effects built in now. One thing we have found very usefull and I dont know if many people realize you can do this but in Premeire pro you can apply most all transitions and effects to titles. So yes it is possible to make titles like that in Premeire useing key frames and transitions like stretch in and others, I have even used matrox old movie effect on titles for easy motion effects. Just gotta get creative and it takes a little time, but it sure beats having to go to AE.

Hope that helps.

Christopher Lefchik
April 27th, 2005, 05:52 PM
if you know of another program that will combine those formats without re-encoding anything, please post it.
Check out mp4UI (http://mp4ui.sourceforge.net) and GPAC (http://gpac.sourceforge.net/index.php). One or the other might be able to do that.

Mike Cecotka
April 27th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Dan,

Yes it's for google
it looks like you did all hard work

I'm going to contact google directly.

Christopher,

I downloaded mp4UI (http://mp4ui.sourceforge.net) but I can't open avi file just mpeg4 format.

Thanks for all clues
Mike

Steven Gotz
April 27th, 2005, 07:14 PM
I was kidding - note the "Seriously" beginning the next section. After Effects is better than any simple plugin.

In After Effects 6.5 they included text presets for animations. You type in the text directly into the comp window, and assign a preset. The presets are all on the help file, in full motion.

Pete Bauer
April 27th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Adobe's web site says, "NOW AVAILABLE" for the Creative Suite CS2 verisons, and there's a Photoshop CS2 try-out (329.1MB) posted...which I haven't tried out quite yet. No video software updates or announcements, as far as I saw (not that I was expecting any at this point).
Cheers.

James Darren
April 28th, 2005, 07:22 AM
hi all,

just in the process of buying a new PC to turn into an edit suite. basically once the system is installed & XP updates have been done i'll rarely connect it to the web unless I have to so its just an editing machine. very few other programs will be installed also, want to keep it fast & error/virus free.

its going a be a:

P4-550 Prescott 3.4Ghz with Intel 915 Board

2GB Kingston RAM

2 SATA HDD, probably main drive 80GB & video storage drive 200GB

Dual Laye DVD Burner

XP Pro

my question is what graphics card to use? I dont think i'll need a dual monitor system although i will use an ext monitor for colour correcting, etc through my camera & firewire. i will never play games or anything like that, just need a graphics card which will keep up with the video on the monitor without any stuttering etc.

Gary Bettan
April 28th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Sony Vegas does not take advantage of the graphics card in any way. Premeire pro does tap into the graphics card a bit for previewing.

Get an inexpensive ATI or nVidia dual head PCIe card with 64 megs of RAM. While you don't want dual monitors now, you may in the future. Once you start using dual monitors you'll wonder how you ever got by with only one!!

Gary
Videoguys.com

James Darren
April 28th, 2005, 08:33 AM
thanks for that Gary..

is 64MB enough since there are now 256MB cards? or is this only useful for gaming? what dollars roughly for a 64MB dual monitor card?

also with dual monitors & ppro, how can you configure the monitors? ie: full size preview on one & timeline, effects etc on the other? is it changable?

Devlyn Hukowich
April 28th, 2005, 08:44 AM
I would look at a Matrox graphics board. Probably more expensive but worth it for the dual head and compatability with video editing hardware and software.
The P650 PCIe for PCIexpress or the P750 for AGP 8X. Both about CA$300 retail.

Patrick Smith
April 28th, 2005, 05:39 PM
1. how do i add text? i have main video in video 1.
2. how do i download to my mini dv camcorder? or make a mpeg for the net?
3. audio. how do i adjust the levels of the music to gradualy have the music come on or go off.

i know i have more. but they should hold me over. :)

thanks in advance!

Tim Brechlin
April 28th, 2005, 09:23 PM
1. how do i add text? i have main video in video 1.

Click on "File," "New," and then "New Title."

2. how do i download to my mini dv camcorder?

File<Export<Export to Tape, I believe.

or make a mpeg for the net?

You don't want to make a raw MPEG-1/2 for the net. Go to File<Export<Adobe Media Encoder, and use something like RealMedia or Windows Media.

3. audio. how do i adjust the levels of the music to gradualy have the music come on or go off.

Okay, click on your audio track. Then click on "Effects Controls" in the clip window. You'll see control called Volume, along with a keyframe button.

Keyframes are your friend. Click a keyframe on the spot where you want the music to begin descending, and then click a keyframe on the spot where you want the music to become inaudible; for the latter keyframe, move the volume slider all the way to the left.

Glenn Chan
April 28th, 2005, 09:46 PM
With Premiere Pro, I would get a Nvidia-based/GeForce dual monitor video card. NOT ATI/radeon- it does not have the spanning dual monitor mode (where your OS sees both monitors as one big monitor). Without it, you will need the Ultramon program to put Premiere Pro on both monitors.

Example card:
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814170067
Albatron Geforce PCX5300 128MB, PCI-Express, DVI+VGA or 2XVGA out (via included DVI-VGA adapter)
$72USD shipped, there may be tax depending where you live in the US.
(EDIT: You live in Australia, so ignore that...)

Check that the video card is AGP or pciE and that it works with your motherboard.

Look at your monitor(s) and figure out what outputs you need. Whatever combination of VGA and DVI you may need.

newegg.com is a good retailer to buy computer stuff from (check their resellerratings.com rating) and have a decent search feature to find the exact video card you want.

If you want better openGL acceleration (gaming cards are typically not very good), look at the workstation-type cards like Nvidia Quadro and ATI Fire. I don't use Premiere Pro that much so I don't know how much openGL acceleration is good. Only some of the effects use the video card.

Amount of video card memory does not make a big deal as far as I know.

2- Matrox is ok, but lacking in 3d performance and price. Some of them support three monitors.

Christopher Lefchik
April 29th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Mike,

No, mp4UI can't make an MPEG-4 file. It is for combining/modifying MPEG-4 video tracks with audio and hint tracks. I thought it might be able to combine the MPEG-4 video with the MP3 audio to create the file needed to upload to Google. It won't help you if you don't already have the MPEG-4 video and MP3 audio.

Rob Lohman
April 30th, 2005, 03:42 AM
I'm not sure I'm following the question. 1280 x 720 is one of the standard
HD resolutions (in 16:9 widescreen). So it is of use to people who are doing
HD(V).

This is of no use if you have SD footage or are going out to some standard
like DVD. It's only useful if you want a high quality compressed file you can
play on computer systems with software like DVD players.

Rob Lohman
April 30th, 2005, 03:52 AM
What you indeed need is something called "secondary color corrector", try
to find that. If you can't find it you will need some plugins as Johan said.

Brandon Miletta
April 30th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Hey guys, its easy to go from premiere to After effects, but what is the best way to go from after effects back to premiere?

Do i just use quicktime and sorenson3?

Drew Meinecke
April 30th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Is it good software? How realistic are the locations you can make?

Eric Stemen
April 30th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Any results on the tests?

Boyd Ostroff
April 30th, 2005, 04:43 PM
I have used Bryce for years, and am currently still at version 5. Poor Bryce has been handed down to a couple of different companies since MetaCreations vanished a few years ago. Recently it was bought by DAZ Productions and they are just now releasing v 5.5 (in fact I think the "official" release isn't until next week).

It's getting a lot of discussion on the forums at their website. Some people are unhappy with the bugs and find it actually renders slower. Others love it.. I'm sure they will address all these issues with future updates, and evidently these are already in the pipeline.

I've brought up the subject of Bryce and other 3d software around here from time to time but have concluded that our membership doesn't do a lot of 3d work. You might want to visit the Brycetalk forums at the publisher's website: http://forum.daz3d.com/index.php?

Getting back to your questions, you can do some very realistic things with Bryce, although its strength is probably more along the lines of fantasy landscapes. But it is a capable 3d modeling program which could actually be used for almost anything. Expect to spend a lot of time learning the software though, some of the advanced concepts (creating textures) are not easily mastered.

Here are a few things I've done with Bryce:

http://www.greenmist.com/pearl/02/
http://www.greenmist.com/trovatore/visions/09/
http://www.greenmist.com/trovatore/project/02/
http://www.greenmist.com/trovatore/visions/04/

I will probably be using Bryce less in the future since I just got Vue 5 Infinite which does almost everything Bryce can but goes way beyond its capabilities. There are a bunch of versions of Vue at different prices (5 infinite is the top of the line pro version). If you want to do realistic landscapes you should check it out as well, you can download a free trial version: https://secure.e-onsoftware.com/Products/VueIndex.php

James Emory
April 30th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Is there any particular reason why Premiere 6.5 crashes when I try to import images that are 1024x768? I want to resize them within Premiere but it crashes every time I try to import them. Is this normal? If so, what is the maximum image resolution that can be imported without it crashing?

Rob Lohman
May 1st, 2005, 05:31 AM
The best way to go between the two programs is uncompressed AVI (ie,
select "none" for the codec). However, this creates large files. If that (really)
is a problem I would simply go with DV AVI files (later versions of After Effects
should support that I think).

Peter Higginbottom
May 1st, 2005, 06:00 AM
Hi
If You want to import large pictures into 6.5 & scroll around & zoom in with no loss of quality, a program called "Moving Picture 5" is the one to use.
Recently started using it Myself, tho not a lot yet.
Installs as a plug in.
6.5 is supposed to resize "on the fly" I think, but I`ve always, before had to rezize to 720x576(I`m in PAL land) before importing to 6.5.
Or it would crash more often than not.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Peter.

Steven Gotz
May 1st, 2005, 10:58 AM
To go from Premiere Pro to After Effects, I assume you are exporting as Cineform AVI? Or are you using MainConcept's HD plugin?

If Cineform, do you have Aspect HD? Or just PPro 1.5.1?

It makes a big difference in the answer.

If you have Aspect HD then I suggest exporting it back in a Cineform AVI so you don't have to render in Premiere Pro. If you don't, the the Quicktime Animation codec will do the job just fine. And you can even have an alpha channel if needed.

Matthew Weitz
May 1st, 2005, 03:04 PM
When I preview my work in Premiere 6.02 by clicking the play button on the monitor window, the playback is all stuttery.

Also when I want to render a preview, it takes forever (about 5 minutes for 10 seconds of footage).

Are there any project settings that I should be using to make previewing and rendering previews faster?

I'm running a P4 2.8GHz with 512 MB of RAM.