View Full Version : Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Andreas Rylander
October 20th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Thank you so much! =)

I actually was able to solve the problem by capturing with Pinnacles own editing program that followed the card. An obvious solution in retrospect, but it was still your link that made me come to that conclusion =)

Thank you so much, and thanks to all wonderful people on this forum =)

Here's the thread with my problem over 2 years ago...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=12880

Good luck,

Jennifer Graves
October 20th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Ok, I got it to convert just the part I wanted, but now when you view it on a website it doesn't show a buffering line or percent, how do you add that on?

Marlon Torres
October 20th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Im having some problems with my color corrected footage, after changing the colors, all the reds become "blocky" and pixelated....what am i doing wrong?

Pete Bauer
October 20th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Blockiness is probably a rendering/compression issue, and if so would have more to do with your NLE than the XL2. I think I recall from previous posts that you use Premiere Pro so I'm moving this thread over to that forum for now.

Here is another thread about red problems attributed to the XL2 that might possibly also turn out to be a rendering issue:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=53035

You'll need to give a lot more information about the files and circumstances (format, data rate, etc), and probably post a short video clip to a web site so people can see the problem.

Ben Winter
October 21st, 2005, 09:50 AM
Download the 1.5.1 update that allows Premiere to work with HD.

Kawai Sin
October 21st, 2005, 12:23 PM
Hi Jen,

Did you try embedding them.

<OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer" WIDTH="192" HEIGHT="190" CLASSID="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
STANDBY="Loading Windows Media Player components..." TYPE="application/x-oleobject">
<PARAM NAME="FileName" VALUE="videofilename.wmv">
<PARAM name="ShowControls" VALUE="true">
<param name="ShowStatusBar" value="false">
<PARAM name="ShowDisplay" VALUE="false">
<PARAM name="autostart" VALUE="false">
<EMBED TYPE="application/x-mplayer2" SRC="videofilename.wmv" NAME="MediaPlayer"
WIDTH="192" HEIGHT="190" ShowControls="1" ShowStatusBar="0" ShowDisplay="0" autostart="0"> </EMBED>
</OBJECT>

here's the code.

Try reading this webpage for more info.

http://www.mediacollege.com/video/format/windows-media/streaming/

Cheers

Kawai Sin
October 21st, 2005, 12:34 PM
I'm wondering if there are major difference between 6.5 and Premiere Pro. Aside from the layout and the better title program included. What other reasons are there to make the switch. I'm amateur dv creator and not planning to go HDDV.

Dan Euritt
October 21st, 2005, 04:00 PM
check that class i.d., it might be for an older player(??)... be careful if you change just the class i.d., because sometimes the param's are exclusive to only one class i.d.

it's possible that you won't see any download bar because your embedded player isn't set up to show the control buttons(??).

Shaughan Flynn
October 22nd, 2005, 09:23 AM
In 6.5 you have to render before you can preview. In pro you do not. HUGE advantage IMHO.

Christopher Lefchik
October 22nd, 2005, 02:38 PM
Premiere 6.5 does have the real-time preview capability. From a Macworld review:

"One of our favorite new features in Premiere 6.5 is the program's ability to preview effects, transitions, and filters without having to render them to the hard drive first, which is time-consuming. When Premiere 6.5's Real-Time Preview option is active, you can simply press the return key to preview an effect."

http://www.macworld.com/2002/12/reviews/premiere/

Reading a couple reviews of Premiere 6.5, right off I can spot three features 6.5 lacks compared to Premiere Pro: the powerful color correction filter, waveform/vectorescope, and the multiple sequences (time lines) in one project. I can't say for certain, but Premiere Pro's audio mixing tools are probably better, also.

Premiere Pro's code was rewritten from the ground up, so it is basically a whole new program.

Yegor Sak
October 22nd, 2005, 05:08 PM
Im having a very difficult time previewing my project in the sequence monitor. It runs at about 0.5fps and Its quite useless. I cannot tell what the hell is going on, especially with very short cuts.

I run 3ghz hyperthreaded P4
2GB ram
ATI 9700pro (all in wonder)
Videos run off 1 HD, program installed on another.

How can I minimize this lag? When I started, without any cuts, it ran pretty well, but now I might as well turn it off.

I use Pro 1.5

Graham Risdon
October 23rd, 2005, 06:16 AM
Hi All
I've been using Prem 6.5 with a DVstorm2 card (All PAL) for a couple of years and am pleased with the results. I'd like to upgrade to PPro 1.5 but the support for the Storm is limited (non-existent!) as Canopus now have Edius. The most important thing for me is that everything is realtime on the Storm (except credit rolls and some mulri-PIPs).
It seems the only hardware manufacturer supporting PP properly is Matrox (I've looked at the RT-X100, but Axio is way too expensive!). Does anyone have any better solutions? Ideally I'd like the solution to be HD-upgradable in the future.
Many thanks

Colvin Eccleston
October 24th, 2005, 01:07 AM
I only know of 1 person using edius for hdv and he got POd with the crashes and moved to sony vegas. PPro is a lot better than 6.5 and very capable of hdv work with cineform's aspectHD. Just use a modern graphics card and it is quick enough. Don't expect to find any affordable solutions at the moment for RT effects on HD.

Anthony Milic
October 24th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Hi there, I wonder if anyone might shed some light on this here lil' problem I'm having.
I've edited a clip of a friends graduation.
Everything seems fine. I play it through, all goes well.
I render. That's fine.
I export to DVD. Then play the dvd, and it starts beautifully, then for some reason, in the same place, a couple of minutes into it, the sound stops.
Now I thought perhaps I'd somehow 'flipped a switch' on that particualar sound portion, .. so re-imported the clip from original. Again, it plays fine, until exported to DVD, and sound just mutes at the same point again - for the duration of the clip.
Apart from wasting DVD's.. this is really frustrating!
Exporting to AVI is fine.. it plays all sound.
Using Premiere pro CS. or 1.5.. something there.

Any ideas?

Aaarrgh..

Anthony Milic
October 24th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Moderators, feel free to delete this post.

Harry Lender
October 25th, 2005, 10:55 AM
I'm trying to do the Wrigley "pip" with fuzzy edges in PPRO 1.5. I can do it in Premiere 6.5. However when I try it in PPRO I can't get the picture to appear though the fuzzy matte JPG. I've tried applying the track matte filter to the picture below the matte and telling it which track to use but with no luck. I've tried all ways I can think of with no luck. Whats the right combination to get it to work. Any help would be appreciated.

Harry

Karl J Martin
October 25th, 2005, 05:51 PM
So I want to set up a project at my own custom resolution, but when I click the "custom" projects settings tab, the resolution boxes are grayed-out and I can't enter the desired resolution.

???

How do I get premiere pro to let me define a custom resolution?

Christopher Lefchik
October 25th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Change the "Editing Mode" from "DV Playback" to "Video for Windows." You will then be able to enter a custom resolution.

Karl J Martin
October 26th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Change the "Editing Mode" from "DV Playback" to "Video for Windows." You will then be able to enter a custom resolution.

Thanks!!!!

Jan Kivisaar
October 26th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Hello,

After some searching, both here at the forum and through Google (what else? :-)), it seems I still have the same problem.

When capturing in Premiere (I use the Pro 7.0 version), I can tick the "Scene Detect" box. But that only seem to work when there is an actual gap in the timecode. What if I want it to create new scenes/clips whenever there is a scene change - e.g. goes from one clip inside the house to another clip outside? In other words: Optical scene detection.

Is there a way to achieve that in Premiere or do I have to buy a program like Scenalyzer? Another couple of dollars, when I thought Premiere could fix such a "simple" thing... I do believe Pinnacle offers that option.

Kind regards,

Jan Kivisaar
Sweden

Spike Spiegel
October 26th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Is it possible record a VO directly on the track? I tried adobe's help files, but i didn't get anything. I know final cut pro has this feature, its very nice, but does premiere? Please let me know how to use it, m uchly appreciated!!

Christopher Lefchik
October 26th, 2005, 06:41 PM
You're welcome!

Patrick Smith
October 26th, 2005, 08:29 PM
I made a promotional video for a friend not to long ago for his web site. But now he needs it to be put onto a CD so he can distubute it @ a huge car show/event this up coming week in Vegas... he leaves tommorrow afternoon...

my problem is that when i export "movie" the file size is 736 MB. too big to put onto a cd...

I recently fiqured out the export : movie : then going to settings...

I was wondering what is a a good setting for size, quality, % etc etc so that my file will still look very sharp, while staying under 700mb!!!

please help me out asap!!!

Rik Sanchez
October 26th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Patrick,
how long is your video and what size and file format will you compress it down to. Are you exporting it out of Premiere? Have you tried compressing the exported file with a compression software like Sorenson Squeeze or Media Cleaner.

I've exported my short promo clips out of my NLE at 320 X 240 DV and then I take that file and compress it down with Sorenson Squeeze, I get it down to a 512K stream quicktime movie. the quality is decent and it comes out to about 1 meg per minute.

Patrick Smith
October 26th, 2005, 08:57 PM
nah. i using preimere. thats all i have access to @ the time... the movie is about 4:00mins long

Jimmy McKenzie
October 26th, 2005, 09:02 PM
If you have director, export as an mov file that fits the disk and build a quick score.
If no director, then use the media encoder and export at a reasonable compression as a wmv file. Let media player play it.
If you have a video cd program this will easily fit at 4 minutes.
Since this is for broad distribution, why not a dvd?

Rik Sanchez
October 26th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Patrick,
try exporting it at 320 X 240 and maybe drop the audio settings to 32khz. That you give you a smaller file size. Let us know how it goes.

Patrick Smith
October 26th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Patrick,
try exporting it at 320 X 240 and maybe drop the audio settings to 32khz. That you give you a smaller file size. Let us know how it goes.

i have been using the 32khz....
i've tryed quick time, windows media, microsoft avi, avi dv.. etc etc

its to quick of notice for dvd. he needs like 50 copies...

Rik Sanchez
October 26th, 2005, 10:03 PM
What export setting are you using now? What size are you exporting it at?

Dan Robinson
October 26th, 2005, 10:36 PM
I'm having a problem that I thought someone here might have encountered before.

I'm trying to export full-screen DV AVI video from the computer back to MiniDV tape via Firewire. I'm using Premiere Pro 1.5 on WinXP and exporting to a TRV900 MiniDV cam. At random intervals, anywhere from every few minutes to a few seconds, the video and audio freezes up momentarily during export, as if another program is running in the background and hogging CPU.

The strange thing about this is that I have been doing this for all of three years with no problems, and now all of a sudden I'm seeing this freezing issue.

Here are the puzzling details:

- The problem happens on BOTH of my computers, 2.4Ghz laptop and 1.2Ghz desktop.

- No new software has been installed on either machine.

- Premiere is only using 35% of the CPU during the export when the freezing happens.

- Premiere is set to 'play back video on DV hardware only', not on the desktop.

- I notice the problem happens more with video of lightning strikes (rapidly alternating bright/dark frames) and video with a lot of fast motion, but it happens with all video from time to time.

- The problem happens both when recording to a MiniDV tape or doing a 'pass through' to a VCR.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide!

Dmitry Yun
October 26th, 2005, 11:24 PM
If you are using Windows XP it comes with a free program called Movie Maker. Try using the codecs there to export your movie. it's a very good encoding although a bit of a quality loss but barrebale for your situation.

We MD people gotta stick together :)

Robert Double
October 27th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Hi.

I am using premiere pro to render out a movie. However there is a significant brightness difference between encoding with H264 and Sorenson? The H264 is always noticibly brighter than the Sorenson version. The Sorenson version looks correct!

Has anyone else experienced such strange behaviour?

Cheers

Robert

Pete Bauer
October 27th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Yup, I have. In addition to the great difficulty with QT bit rate settings that many others have noted, when I did test renders, QT files came out substantially brighter and with less color saturation than WMV or AVI -- and the aspect ratio settings also seemed squirrelly. Sorry, I can't remember if Sorenson did the same thing, but if so that would hint that it is a problem with the interaction of QT and Adobe Media Encoder.

I've never been interested in QT, but since so many folks on DVinfo do use it I gave the free version of QT7 a try. I wonder if we pony up the $30 for the Pro version if the rendering process will be better, either within Adobe Media Encoder or a stand-alone rendering engine (eg output uncompressed AVI out of PPro to use as a source for QT7 rendering)?

John Bennett
October 27th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Optical detection isn't available in version 1.0, and it's not listed among the new features of 1.5. Someone with version 1.5, correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally, I use Scenalyzer for capturing. It's hassle free and includes optical detection. Also, you can split scenes in Scenalyzer.

Dan Euritt
October 27th, 2005, 03:16 PM
i have not noticed any gamma issues with the nero h.264 encoder, but ymmv... at $60 vs. $30(?) for qt pro, your money would be much better spent with the nero package, if you really want to do h.264.

Spike Spiegel
October 27th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Is this required? I have around 60gb + worth of footage to bring in and its conforming every single clip, its ridiculously lagging my computer when premiere is on. Is this a necessary thing to do? How do i turn it off, if possible..

Spike Spiegel
October 27th, 2005, 07:30 PM
not to mention, its eating up over 28 gb of diskspace!!! please help

Pete Bauer
October 27th, 2005, 07:52 PM
You can't turn it off. Here's a little more info in an existing thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=37092&highlight=conforming+audio

There is also a FAQ on the Adobe PPro support forum:
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@357.mHYCf4dJfjf.8@.2cd0d649

You have to register (free, real time) to access it, but I believe that in addition to a daily dose of DVinfo, everyone who has licensed software ought to be cruising the vendor's support pages every now and then for upgrades, tips, and troubleshooting.

The delay has never been much of a bother me. But there's been quite a few who do complain about the conforming delay, so hopefully Adobe will address it in the next release.

Lloyd Choi
October 27th, 2005, 09:12 PM
weird... for me it's the exact opposite. AVI comes out washed out, while quicktime comes out correctly (with the exception of H264, which comes out wsahed out as well)

Spike Spiegel
October 27th, 2005, 10:08 PM
that really bites that you can't turn it off.. its even worse for me because im wasting all this time "conforming" when my true audio is imported from a HIMD... Instead i'm sittin here with hours worth of conforming to do, as i have 20 hours worth of tape... Ridiculous...

Robert Double
October 27th, 2005, 10:16 PM
So i wonder why H264 always comes out brighter/washed out. Is it because the default image controls for QT7 (ie. brightness controls / color control etc) when replaying H264 are set abnormal? Or is it because the encoder is outputting the footage abnormally bright?

Gregory St. John
October 28th, 2005, 07:17 AM
I am done with all my premiere projects on my computer. I am trying to free up some space. There is a temp folder in my adobe premiere section which is 25 g is size. Inside are a bunch of .TMP files. Are these files related to my previous projects and is it safe to delete all of them?

Max Hagelstam
October 28th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Search in the help for voiceover (one word) or Capture analogue audio. You use the audio mixer to set an audio track for recording (unless you are using a Matrox RT.X10/RT.X100 card - then it's not supported...).

/Max

Daniel Wojtowicz
October 28th, 2005, 12:38 PM
dvds are easier to make then putting it on a cd. Just export it at full res then open nervision express or something like that throw the video file on there and make like 50 copies. Dvds are getting cheaper and cheaper nowadays.

Daniel Wojtowicz
October 28th, 2005, 12:40 PM
i believe it only does it once when you first put the file into the project.

Aanarav Sareen
October 28th, 2005, 01:31 PM
that really bites that you can't turn it off.. its even worse for me because im wasting all this time "conforming" when my true audio is imported from a HIMD... Instead i'm sittin here with hours worth of conforming to do, as i have 20 hours worth of tape... Ridiculous...
Spike,
I reccomend submitting a feature request on Adobe's site to disable audio conforming.

Aanarav Sareen
October 28th, 2005, 01:32 PM
If you are no longer working on the project, I would go ahead and delete them, but make sure that these have been generated by PPRO itself and not some other program!

Ben Hurst
October 28th, 2005, 02:16 PM
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a driver or software update that allows me to do a 24p timeline using Canopus DVStorm. I'm having to convert all of my native 23.976 files to 29.97 before I can output them for broadcast. I want to be able to edit in 24p and be able to see it on my TV monitor. Am I just smoking a doobie?

Richie Cruz
October 28th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Hey all,

I was sent a minidv tape that is from Italy (PAL) and I want to view it with my Canon GL-2 (NTSC). Is there a way that I can premier help with the viewing because the canon alone can not play the tape because of the difference. I need help please

Pete Bauer
October 28th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Spike, I've not captured or imported anything near 20 hours of footage at one go. But hour-long miniDV tapes only take at most a couple minutes to conform on my system (3GHz P4, 2GB DDR, dedicated scratch drives). Do you have a large, dedicated physical-drive scratch disk set up for all your temp and conformed files? If not, PPro may be using your C drive as a default scratch disk, which will hurt you big time.

If you have a fast system, set up with a dedicated physical drive for scratch disks, and it takes more than perhaps 5-10 minutes to conform an hour of miniDV...something is wrong.

If your sound is in separate files already, perhaps you could try re-saving your files in your audio application to 32 bit, 48k so they won't require conforming, and then capture / import video and audio separately? Not sure if that'll do it for you, but worth a try.

Beyond that, Aanarav's suggestion to submit a feature request -- and either put up with it for now or use another NLE that only uses 16bit audio -- is all I can think of.