View Full Version : Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Rob Lohman
May 26th, 2005, 03:04 AM
Hello Aaron, welcome aboard (H)DVinfo.net!

Something is definitely wrong with your Windows installation at this point. Did
you install any new hardware or software?

The best (and probably only) thing you can do is re-install Windows and all
the applications etc. Do a clean install, ie no upgrade or fix of the current
installation.

Good luck!

Rob Lohman
May 26th, 2005, 03:46 AM
A lot can be done to simulate this with transitions like barndoor or wipes.
Especially in combination with homemade masks (in a paint program)

Aaron H. Johnson
May 26th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Ugh, I was afraid you'd say that. A clean reinstall was my next step...but I was hoping to avoid that. I did put in a new graphics card (GeForce 6600) a couple months ago, but I've been able to edit since then.

If anyone else has another idea, I'd welcome it. Otherwise, I'll start backing up and reinstalling.

Thanks for the welcome to the forum!

Christopher Lefchik
May 26th, 2005, 07:55 AM
After Effects would probably be the better choice for this. You can do this without purchasing a plugin. See these tutorials:

http://www.creativecow.net/articles/kantorski_kevin/signature/
http://msp.sfsu.edu/Instructors/rey/writon/writon.html
http://www.creativemac.com/2004/02_feb/tutorials/ko25040217.htm

Chris Ivanovskis
May 26th, 2005, 10:42 AM
agreed. that's absurdly long. i just did a 4 minute music video with magic bullet filters (widescreen and look suite) and exported to DVD all with an hour and a half, and that's on a 2.8GHZ P4 w/ 1GB RAM

Andrew Sohn
May 26th, 2005, 09:55 PM
I just purchased a used Pinacle DV500 on ebay for only about $250. This probably sounds stupid to most of you, but for someone like me who has basically NO budget, I take what I can get. I've used the Pinacle Pro-One with Premiere 6.5 before - I'm very acustomed with Premiere and the Pro-One is great for real time preview on a seperate monitor.

So I picked up this used DV500-DVD (predecesor to the Pro-One). I bought it for the real time preview and also because it comes with an NLE - Premiere 6.0.

Now, I've used 6.5 in great depth, so how does Premiere 6.0 compare? Also, could I upgrade from 6.0 to 6.5? If so, would upgrading make any sense? How do 6.0 and 6.5 differ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Christopher Lefchik
May 27th, 2005, 07:58 AM
It doesn't sound stupid to me. It lets you edit video a price you can afford, and that’s the whole point. Creativity and a good story are much more important than using the latest cutting edge equipment.

As for the differences, I can't say as I went from Premiere 6 to Premiere Pro, so I skipped 6.5. I know a couple of the differences in Premiere 6.5 were: Software real-time preview (which you can't use at the same time as the DV500 real-time play back), and a new titler. I don't know if the new titler is a big deal since you already have TitleDecko.

And Adobe isn't selling Premiere 6.5 upgrades anymore. You'd have to find one on a place like Ebay.

K. Forman
May 27th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Or, you could just buck up to the Pro version. Unless you are like me, and running W2K till it won't run anything. I'm still using 6.something, and will keep it till it dies. Or I hit some numbers :)

Clint Comer
May 27th, 2005, 10:51 AM
ok so it is only for HD then? I'm not going to notice a diffrence if I render my normal dv footage out using that pre-set? What about if I am projecting it out on a large screen? I did some tests with it and it doesn't seem to distort the image by increasing the size like that. Anyone else played with these pre sets in premiere?

Clint Comer
May 27th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Ok so I have a premiere pro 1.5 project set up as a 24p widescreen 48khz project. Through out the timeline I have regular 4:3 footage and 60i footage. Will this cause a problem when I go to render out an mpeg2? Because I have had problems and I don't know if this is the cause or if it's something else. Has anyone else had a project like this and had no problems?

Jon Back
May 27th, 2005, 11:36 AM
I have the Mastering Premiere Pro. First thing - it says DVD all over it, but it really is just a CD disk. Second, it is helpful, but not as helpful as reading these forums or the Adobe forums. Lots of examples to work through, lots of Flash animation to follow. I haven't used Steven Gotz's tutorials, but they would almost have to be better than this disc.

Pete Bauer
May 27th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Clint,

This isn't particularly scientific, but I perceive that even from the same XL2 (standard definition) 720x480 source footage, up-rezzing to an HD-standard 720p looks a little better in both mpeg and WMV than a final 640x480 or 720x480 file. My theory is that by going to a higher pixel count during the rendering process, re-compression artifacts are less apparent.

The cost, of course, is a larger file size and as Rob pointed out, if you're going to DVD, it has to be 720x480 (plus a lot of other constraints to comply with the DVD standards). But to view on a computer or for transfer, I do think the up-rezzed stuff looks better.

The Adobe Media Encoder built into PPro and Encore preserve the aspect ratio of the footage; the Pixel Aspect Ratio will be changed during the rendering process. So nothing should end up distorted. If you're interested, I've got a couple of short samples of XL2 footage up-rezzed to 720p30 posted on my web site:
http://www.geosynchrony.com/scratchpad.htm

Sorry, it all isn't the most engaging footage...it is just there to test or demo stuff.

Andrew Sohn
May 27th, 2005, 03:11 PM
I would consider that, but the DV500 supports only up to 6.5 (since after this, Pinacle started bundling Edition with all of their hardware). I actually find Premiere 6.5's titler quite good. How does TitleDeko compare?

K. Forman
May 27th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I haven't really played with Title deko much, but it looks pretty full featured (read: confusing ;)

Jose di Cani
May 27th, 2005, 04:44 PM
right click on video clip..choose LINK....you probably have unlinked audio and video accidently. Otherwise, check menu for link or help for lnking audio and video clips. peace

Jose di Cani
May 27th, 2005, 04:47 PM
what a shame. I use premier all the time but this is weird. MAybe in an update they will enhance their software for thje newer cams on the market (xl2). ADobe isn't stupid. they will fix it soon. Xl2 is a mayor player so they have no choise.

Joe Mobic
May 28th, 2005, 02:10 AM
In Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5, I have a 10minute movie on my Timeline with approximately 25+ clips. The project is saved in a folder entitled Movie, which also contains over 70+ .avi file clips which some were used to create the movie currently on the Timeline.

So when I go into After Effects, how can I just pull up the Timeline clips like its placed in Adobe Premiere? I can open and import the individual 70+.avi file clips that were used to create my movie, but I am trying to get the whole 10 movie.
What I am trying to do is use the Magic Bullet Suite Plug in for my 10 minute movie

Thanks

Pete Bauer
May 28th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Hi Joe,
Not sure about older versions of AE, but with 6.5 you can just import the PPro project file directly into AE as a single object. You can then create a new 10 minute composition and apply your MB to it.

Rob Lohman
May 28th, 2005, 05:49 AM
You certainly can up-rez to 1280 x 720. However, standard DV (720 x 480
for NTSC) is SQUARE, not widescreen (unless you shot in 16:9 widescreen).

So if you simply export 720 x 480 (square) to 1280 x 720 it will look distorted,
unless the program knows what it is doing. Doing such up conversions can
be a tricky thing and may require various trial and error runs.

However, this is only useful if you are displaying it on a HD capable system
(ie computer or HD projector attached properly). If you go out to DVD stick
with the "normal" SD resolution.

Pete Bauer
May 28th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Hey Rob,

I think you're mistaken on that one. NTSC DVDs have the same Pixel Aspect Ratios (PAR) of 0.9 for narrow and 1.2 for widescreen that miniDV does. (Hence the need for PAR flags in the mpeg stream for the DVD player read). Going from miniDV tape to DVD mpeg wouldn't normally involve change in PAR.

Up-rezzing from wide 720x480 to 720p (1280x720) does involve a change in PAR from 1.2 to square (1.0 PAR) pixels as the output is rendered. The presets in the Adobe Media Encoder do this with little to no fuss on the part of the user.

If a person did want to up-rez a narrow screen (0.9 PAR) DV project to 1280x720 (widescreen), it could be done, too, using either pan-and-scan in the timeline or the cropping feature of the Adobe Media Encoder, although of course resolution will be lost in the process.

Rob Lohman
May 28th, 2005, 06:32 AM
We are on the same page Pete! 1.2 PAR will indeed transfer over nicely to
1280 x 720 (both equal about 1.77 aspect ratio). I was saying that if your
footage is not widescreen (ie 0.9 PAR for NTSC) it will not transfer over to
1280 x 720 (get's stretched) unless the encoder crops your footage to
widescreen automatically.

Perhaps I did not word it that great earlier.

p.s. what I meant with square is not the pixel aspect ratio but that look of
the "screen", ie non widescreen. Not square pixels. I know the screen is not
truely square since it is 4:3, but you get my drift. It isn't what we call widescreen.

Matthew Weitz
May 28th, 2005, 09:39 AM
When I try and import a MPEG file, I get an "Unsupported audio sample rate" error.

When I try it a second time, it imports but the video is a black screen with no sound.

Has anyone seen this before?

On my old computer the video played just fine.

Rob Lohman
May 29th, 2005, 04:07 AM
On my old computer the video played just fineIt does not play (in Windows Media player for example) well on your current
system? If so, it may simply be missing some codecs. Do you have any DVD
player software installed? That usually installs required MPEG-2 and audio
codecs to play back such files.

I'm not 100% sure if PPro 1.5 can load MPEG-2 in the timeline or not (I don't
use that NLE). Hopefully someone else will comment on that.

Pete Bauer
May 29th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Mpeg files can be EXPORTED from the PPro timeline but unfortunately, mpeg isn't on the list of formats supported for import and editing in PPro. Depending on the file settings, it'll usually import, but most likely won't play or edit correctly within PPro.

To effectively be able to use your mpeg files in PPro, you need a plug-in like MainConcept's or to first convert them to AVI with an application like Canopus Procoder.

Pete Bauer
May 29th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Joe,

Re-reading my last answer, I was obviously in TOO much of a hurry yesterday; will correct and expand a bit. To be able to apply an effect, such as Magic Bullet, within AE 6.5 to a PPro sequence:

1. File>>Import...

2. Choose the PPro project file

The PPro project will appear as a heading in the AE Project Window. Nested under it will be all its PPro sequences labeled as "Compositions" and references to all source files used in the project.

3. You can work with a sequence (now called a composition) in at least two ways:

A. In the project window, double click the composition that you want to apply the effect to. It should appear within both a timeline window with all the source files nested under it, and in a viewer window. You can work with individual layers this way.
(or)
B. Create a new blank composition (Composition>>New...) and drag the composition you want from the project window into the new composition. Since it is "nested" into a new composition, it won't have all the source files nested under it. This is the quick way to apply a consistent effect to the whole sequence/composition.

4. Apply your effect.

That should do it.

To "interpret footage" for source clips, just right click and choose "interpret footage." You can't do that with a nested composition, though. It is set, as is.

AE definitely has a steep learning curve -- which of course is a euphemism for -- "hard!" I only have the PPro Magic Bullet Movie Looks that ships with the Adobe Video Collection, so can't personally verify that the AE Magic Bullet plug-in works under these circumstances, but can't see any reason why it shouldn't. Keep practicing and trying different things, and it'll reward you with some amazing final products!

Christopher Lefchik
May 29th, 2005, 08:23 AM
mpeg isn't on the list of formats supported for import and editing in PPro.
Page 65 of the Premiere Pro manual lists MPEG/MPE/MPG as a supported video format for importing.

Joe Mobic
May 29th, 2005, 09:37 AM
thanks alot for your help

i'm actually using magic bullet suite which will also give the 24fps look.

what the directions in magic bullet suite instructs is to import the adobe premiere 1.5 footage into after effects and then hit (command+f) which will pull up the Interpret Footage Window. One can also get into the Interpret Footage Window by File---->Interpret Footage. Once in the interpret footage submenu, one is to set the Separate Fields to OFF.

However, once i have a Composition with the whole footage, i can't get the Interpret Footage Menu.

I can only get the Interpret Footage menu by being in an .avi file.

any help?

Pete Bauer
May 29th, 2005, 01:31 PM
I stand corrected: Adobe does have mpeg on the list Christopher cited.

Also, the PPro readme.html file has this to say:

MPEG import is supported only for transcoding. Playback of MPEG material will drop frames, but will render correctly. If you need to edit MPEG regularly, consider using an Adobe Premiere Pro certified hardware card that supports MPEG editing. All supported hardware capture cards are listed at the Adobe Premiere Pro partner certification web page located at: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/6cards.html

Nevertheless, "that dog don't hunt." Maybe some folks have had good luck with mpeg sources. Many, if not most, haven't. For "The Many," PPro just doesn't work properly with imported mpeg clips. The end result is that we have two choices: use a separate application to transcode to AVI before import, or buy a plug-in (or hardware) to give PPro an honest capability to use mpeg sources.

Harry Lender
May 29th, 2005, 03:09 PM
New alittle help
I shot a clip with the camera backlight correction on. I thought when I shot it it would be ok. However when I got it home I saw that it was too bright. Backlight was flooding everything out. I've tried most of the plugins but nothing I do seems too help. Obviously I'm overlooking something. Any ideas on how to bring this clip back to normal would be appreciated. I don't want to reshoot the clip but may have too. I'm using Premiere Pro 1.5

Harry

Eric Holloway
May 29th, 2005, 06:06 PM
I've been reading this forum and have heard all these lucky people being able to render in realtime with Adobe Premiere Pro...

Here's my setup...

Intel 3.4ghz cpu w/1mb cache (not overclocked)
abit ag8 motherboard fsb800
2 gigs of pc3200 ram
60 gig 7200rpm wdig harddrive as my boot & application drive
240gig raid0 drive for my capture drive (2 drive raid)
240gig raid0 drive for my rendering-to drive (2 drive raid)

I'm using Premiere Pro 1.5 and rendering with the mainconcept encoder.
The settings I usually use are 4:3 aspect ratio, VBR 2 pass, 5 quality....

Does anyone have any ideas? I think this setup is enough horsepower to render in realtime...

As an example, I have a 2 minute segment I've been using for testing... The video consists of about 8 disolves.. It takes about 3:30 to render it... I'm sure if it was an hour long, it would take much longer than an hour to render.

I would appreciate any help you guru's can give me!

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Jimmy McKenzie
May 29th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Wthout moving to a dual processor machine, you are at the edge of speed for the buck with your wintel machine.

If you mean real time export you should be well below the length of the timeline.

Since you are relatively blazing fast for previews, I think you would be setting out on a witch hunt to try and get higher performance from your current setup. I suppose you might get 5% improvement with an overclock or a M/b with a higher fsb speed ... better to wait until your next complete upgrade.

Adam Kampia
May 29th, 2005, 07:45 PM
I'm using Premiere Pro 1.5 and rendering with the mainconcept encoder.
The settings I usually use are 4:3 aspect ratio, VBR 2 pass, 5 quality....

The one piece of crucial information missing here is the what codec you are exporting to. Sounds like WMV? Don't know of any consumer system that is capable of rendering and compressing to WMV in real time.

Now if you just export->movie as a DV AVI, you can export RT or near Rt with just the few dissolves you have added. With hardware support like the Matrox RTX100 you can export MPEG2 realtime (provided the timeline is rendered). But whenever you change the compression of the codec you are exporting to, you are going to add time.

Eric Holloway
May 29th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I'm exporting to mpeg2 for dvd.

File > export > adobe media encoder >MPEG2-DVD...

There is no way to get a realtime mpeg2 export with the current machine setup?

Eric

John C. Lyons
May 30th, 2005, 10:14 PM
I guess I am basically looking for a DVX user that uses PPro and has gotten a 24pA widescreen export to work properly.

For some reason I am just having a hell of a time getting a good export from Premiere's Adobe Media Encoder in Pro 1.5 for QuickTime format.

I shot with a DVX100A and the project is 24pA and widescreen. I prefer QT to WMP, I can get all the WM presets to work just fine, QT just doesn't seem to be so user friendly to me. It doesn't like me, I think!

Could someone give me a list on the settings for a QT export they use for their work with these project properties? It always seems to come out at the wrong framerate or wrong aspect ratio for me. I don't think I'm this stupid, well maybe, it was a long weekend...

BIG THANKS ahead of time!

Henry Cho
May 31st, 2005, 12:45 AM
can the details in the blown out areas be recovered? depending on how blown out yout video is, details may be irrevocably lost.

first, i would try using premiere's gamma correction filter, it's in the image control section of the effects pallette.

if the degree of control isn't adequate and things start looking a little washed out, i would open after effects and use levels to bring your whites and midtones down a bit.

if you're not familiar with levels in after effects, it's the same as in photoshop. you have three sliders up top, black for shadows, gray for midtones, and white for highlights. drag the white slider until you've sufficiently adjusted the level of the whites in your clip (don't worry about the mids right now). once you're happy with that, drag the gray slider and adjust your midtones so you achieve a more natural contrast in your clip.

good luck...

Jimmy McKenzie
May 31st, 2005, 02:35 AM
Henry is right to go after a levels adjustment. Trouble is that if your scene is so riddled with contrast, any adjustment in post will be very destructive.
Best to get the photons in order and re-shoot.

Clint Comer
June 2nd, 2005, 05:36 PM
After finishing a project I render out my timeline unsing the adobe media encoder and choose mpeg2. I chose the 720p preset and changed the size to 720x480. One project comes out as a mpg recognized as by windows media player. Another comes out as a m2v. Why the different extentions? One did have audio and the other did not, did that have anything to do with it? What detemines the extension? Has anyone else seen this happen?

Christopher Lefchik
June 2nd, 2005, 07:05 PM
My first guess would be that you rendered out once using one of the presets from the "MPEG-2" category, which probably have the video/audio muxed together, and the second time you chose a preset from the "MPEG-2 DVD" category, which produces separate video and audio files for authoring a DVD.

M2V is just another extension for MPEG-2 video.

Clint Comer
June 2nd, 2005, 07:26 PM
Negative, both were mpeg2. I am familiar withthe mpeg2-dvd presets and the files they produce. Like I siad before, both were rendered with the same preset. Just different projects.

Christopher Lefchik
June 2nd, 2005, 08:24 PM
M2V is a video only MPEG-2 file (no audio).

I assume that you did have some sort of audio in the project that rendered out the M2V file? It wasn't clear from your first post.

Rob Lohman
June 3rd, 2005, 03:55 AM
There are various extensions for mpeg-2, like:

- .mpg / .mpeg
- .m2v
- .m2t

.mpg / .mpeg usually are program streams, meaning they have both audio
and video in them. As Christopher explained the .m2v is just the video file
(since with DVD encoding the audio usually is a seperate file in AC3 form!)
and .m2t is a transport stream (kinda like a program stream).

The final form you have is .VOB on DVD. This is just an mpeg-2 transport
stream with a different extension for DVD. Nothing fancy about it.

Harry Lender
June 3rd, 2005, 07:04 AM
Thanks Guys
After trying all you said looks like I'll have to reshoot the clip. Thanks again for your replies.

Harry

John McGinley
June 3rd, 2005, 11:06 AM
It's ironic that something that has the word 'Pro' in it's title has the inability to render out burnt-in-timecode on the footage, but if you weren't aware there is a $20 plug in that seems to do exactly what most people want. I downloaded the trial and it renders the timecode in the clip and the timecode of where the clip is located on the project timeline. Think I'll be buying this tonight. But I just wanted to share what I found in case someone else was trying to do this too with PPro.

http://dve.teletex.ru/en/dvrecdate.shtml

Christopher Lefchik
June 3rd, 2005, 11:27 AM
Eddie Lotter has a free utility that will generate timecode. You can get it at http://www.2writers.com/download.htm.

Clint Comer
June 4th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Ok that makes a little more sense. Except I will have to go back and double check to see if they had audio on te m2v ones. Thanks.

Al Ioimo
June 4th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

James Darren
June 4th, 2005, 07:17 AM
hi all,

just got my new pc & keen to try premiere pro 1.5. i just finished filming a wedding & would like to try premiere to edit it with & looking to purchase if i find the workflow good.

i realise it only 1 month for the trial but is there any feature or saving capabilities disabled in the trial? i'd like to edit my whole wedding video to get right into the good & bad features of premiere to find if its suitable but dont want to start editing & not be able to export, save, etc...

thank you....

Aanarav Sareen
June 4th, 2005, 01:22 PM
The trial version does not include the Adobe Media Encoder, which is required to create DVDs and other compressed formats.

Jack Zhang
June 4th, 2005, 06:33 PM
If I were you, buy the boxed version. this trial does not have the "go to adobe to buy" thing after the trial ends, instead just a box to make the software completely unusable. so in a sense, NO, IT IS NOT THE SAME! Uninstall it immediatly!

James Darren
June 4th, 2005, 08:00 PM
The trial version does not include the Adobe Media Encoder, which is required to create DVDs and other compressed formats.

ok but i can still export as an .avi file then use another program like tmpgenc to encode to dvd?