View Full Version : Adobe Premiere & Premiere Pro discussions from 2005

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Adam Brennan
January 17th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Is there any plug ins like they have for the adobe premiere 6.5 for premiere 7? There seems to be a slew of plug ins for 6.5 but not for 7?

Thanks...what I am looking for is some effects like the following for 7.

1. soften white accents
2. portraits type blur
3. White or color reference ghosting effects

I guess video effects for weddings and family albums...

thanks.

Adam Brennan
January 17th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Is premiere 6.5 or 7 better? I like 6.5 because the work flow seems to be easier to use. Only problem is that adobe premiere 6.5 seems to lock up on me a lot.

Chris Metts
January 17th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Hi Mike,

I'm new to this board, (altho i've been reading it for quite awhile)I too have this problem and i go about fixing it in the same way you do. And its true to say its very annoying, if anyone could please tell me how to fix it it would be greatly appreciated! :oD

Thanks,
Chris

Alfred Alonso
January 17th, 2005, 10:03 PM
I have a strange problems and I wonder if anyone else has it and found a solution.

I have an Nvidia Fx5700 ultra card and I'm using the TV-out as a real time preview for premiere using the svideo out to a tv monitor.

I also have a Fx5200 PCI card for a second monitor. Everything works fine except there are times that premiere won't show the output on the monitor.

I've noticed that when the playback settings are set to Direct3d, everything is fine. But when premiere switches itself to GDI, the video overlay out put to the TV doesn't work.

I change the setting to GDI, but nothing happens. When I go back to settings, it shows GDI again.

Anyone have any idea wha't happening and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Alfred

Rob Lohman
January 18th, 2005, 04:24 AM
That's certainly possible, but will be slower than the other process
I'd say.

I'm curious why you think it doesn't do cropping, seems to be
able to do that on my system.

File -> Batch Conversion/Rename

Tick the "Use advanced options" box and then hit "Set advanced
options" button below it. The first item on that screen is CROP.

Rob Lohman
January 18th, 2005, 05:24 AM
To the best of my knowledge this is not possible in Prem. The WAV
file is a digital extraction done by Scenalyzer and should match
perfectly to the rest of the files you capture (just snap the beginnings).

In Vegas, for example, I can group the tracks together then so they
always stay together when I move stuff around or cut etc. I don't
know if Premiere has a similar feature to make live a bit easier.

Ronnie Grahn
January 18th, 2005, 05:27 AM
In my book Premiere Pro 1.5 is the best. Never liked the 6.X versions much.

Rob Lohman
January 18th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Why not try out a demo of Premiere Pro 1.5 and see for yourself?

There are ofcourse also a lot of other great editing programs out
there if you are still looking for a program that suits you....

Rob Lohman
January 18th, 2005, 07:08 AM
You will need to convert the AC3 (or dts) to seperate WAV files, a
program like BeSweet (do a Google search) can do this for you.
Then use the Premiere export system to convert it into AC3 again
(when you are going out to DVD).

Rob Lohman
January 18th, 2005, 10:23 AM
This question is just too broad. There are thousands of plugins for
the Premiere range. I'd say it is the NLE with the most plugins
available. Some are free, most cost money. Do a Google search
on "premiere 6.5 plugin" or plugins, that should yield losts of
results. The big question is what kind of plugins are you looking
for? Perhaps an upgrade to PPro 1.5 might be nice since that
includes extra stuff like color correction tools etc.?

Rob Lohman
January 18th, 2005, 10:40 AM
I think most of the things you want can be done with the program
as is, sometimes by combining effects. I'm not exactly sure (from
your description) what kind of effects you are looking for, but the
first might possible with two tracks of the same footage, isolating
the highlights with something light a secondary color corrector
and then blurring/softening that. Make sure that tracks overlays
the "normal" track.

Rob Lohman
January 18th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Welcome aboard DVInfo.net Alfred!

I'm not sure I'm following what you are doing. Are you using a
graphics card to see the preview on the TV? If so, that is usually
not the best way. Most people use a DV deck, DV <-> analog
converter or video camera to get a TV preview (which avoids the
different colorspace conversions etc.).

Alfred Alonso
January 18th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Hi Rob,

Thanks for you response. Yes, I'm using the TV-out on the main Nvidia card to feed the monitor.

Works great with Windows Media 9 and 10, it's just Pro 1.5 that's the problem.

The other options you mention just are feasible of me although I could use the S-video out of the camera I suppose.

I'll keep trying.

thanks again,

Alfred

Brent Ray
January 18th, 2005, 01:06 PM
I had this same problem. You can't capture both channels with Premiere, but there is a small program called Scenalyzer which allows you to capture both. Check out this thread for more details about it:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37509

Brent Ray
January 18th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Premiere Pro is much more powerful than the previous versions of Premiere. In my opinion, Premiere Pro now gives FCP a run for its money in terms of power and ease of use. The old versions of Premiere always seemed so amateur to me, but with the new Premiere Pro versions, things have gotten a whole lot better.

Like Rob mentioned, why not download the tryout version from Adobe and see if you like it. It takes a little while to adjust, but in the end I think you'll like Premiere Pro better.

Dan Euritt
January 18th, 2005, 02:43 PM
you should first verify the format and bitrate that you exported the clip at, i use avicodec for that purpose... and make sure that the project properties are set up correctly inside of premiere.

you can try playing the clip in another media player to make sure it's not an issue with wmp... download the vlc player, for instance.

Rob Yannetta
January 18th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I'd like to add things like a film look, tinting, cropping and the ability to speed up/slow down video.

I tried to Google it, but I couldn't find anything. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place?

Thomas Fraser
January 18th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Are plug ins for Premiere Pro 1.5 only avalable by download for net?
I live in Toronto Canada and was wondering if anyone knows of a store or place where I can buy plugins, other then downloading them?

Rob Lohman
January 19th, 2005, 03:38 AM
What you do in that situation is this:

computer -> firewire -> camera (or deck or converter) -> analog composite / s-video -> TV

Don't forget to enable monitor out in Premiere and if you use a
camera it must be in VCR mode (ie the same as when you would
do a print to tape).

Rob Lohman
January 19th, 2005, 04:35 AM
This has been discussed before, but I can't seem to locate the
exact same thread, however, the following one might have some
pointers for you:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21412

Hope this helps,

Rob Lohman
January 19th, 2005, 05:21 AM
Okay, on to your specific questions:

- tinting (color correction?): I don't think Premiere 6.5 has much of these indeed. Might be a good idea to get Premiere Pro 1.5 or something like Sony Vegas?

- cropping: all NLE's I have seen support this. Let me guess: you want to add black bars to add a widescreen look? See my calculator page for some masks that you can use for this: www.visuar.com/letterbox/calc.htm

- speed up: pretty sure Premiere 6.5 can do this one way or the other (I don't remember how)

- slow down: this is pretty difficult to do (good) with video since we can't overcrank our camera's. It is far better to use specialized tools for this (if I remember correctly a program called Twixtor is good for this, do a search on that and "slowmotion" on this forum to find hundreds of threads on the subject!)

- film look: we have a dedicated forum to this (check it out), but basically it boils down to:

+ shooting at 25 or 24 frames per second
+ lighting / acting / writing a story like a PRO
+ camera composition / movement (ie no shaky camera!)
+ color correction
+ progressive/frame mode shooting instead of interlaced

So not much to do with your NLE although you can definitely
increase the look through de-interlacing (or faking or using a
specialized program if it doesn't look good enough) if your camera
can't record progressive/frame mode, color correction and some
other work.

For color correction I would not look at a plugin, but:

- at a new NLE (like the latest version of Premier Pro or another one that is good at color correction like Sony Vegas)

- a full blown application like: After Effects, Shake, Combustion or Digital Fusion etc. (all pretty expensive)

I did a search on Google with the following keywords:

adobe premiere 6.5 plugins

The FIRST hit was to the site www.pluginz.com

I selected Premiere from the pulldown and got a full list of plugins
including color correction, film looks and time warping (including
Twixtor! whatta ya know).

Rob Lohman
January 19th, 2005, 05:48 AM
As far as I know most plugins are being sold over the internet,
I haven't seen any real-world shops that sell them. I assume
buying over the internet is a problem? I assume that the more
professional video shops could order software for you or may
have some plugins they sell.

Al Osmond
January 19th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Ah, yes. Can't think how I missed seeing that. :)

So, you work out where to put the top left-hand corner, nominate the width and height, then click Start and stand well clear.

That ought to do it! Thanks, Rob.

Al

Rick Roseman
January 19th, 2005, 06:33 AM
I believe it's a bit misleading.

Premier Pro 7 sounds like the latest, upgraded, version of Premier 6.5.

Not so.

Premier Pro 1.5 sounds like an all new, possibly still under developement, offering.

Premier Pro 7.0 is also referred to as Premier Pro 1.0 (same thing) and is actually the earlier version of Premier Pro (note the difference between "Premier" and Premier Pro").

If you're about to invest in a Premier Pro skip 7.0/1.0 and go straight to 1.5.

I found 7.0/1.0 was not Adobe's best work, 1.5 is much better.

Ed Smith
January 19th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Make sure the playback settings in premiere are set to playback via Firewire.

Ed Smith
January 19th, 2005, 12:45 PM
You mention that 6.5 locks up on you. Obviously Premiere should not do this, and in most cases it can be put down to a hardware/ driver problem, or Windows settings are not correct.

If you do upgrade to PP1.5 please make sure that you PC spec meets the recommened stated by Adobe. Pro1.5 is more hardware intensive, where as 6.5 is not so much...

Cheers,

Rick Step
January 19th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks for responding.

How do I export an EDL in premiere pro? I can't figure this out and the help is not very helpful.

Rick

Steven Gotz
January 19th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Project > Export Project as EDL

Just use the menus

Rick Step
January 19th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Cool,

Thanks...I'm attempting now.

Rick

Chris Metts
January 19th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Thanks guys,

I double checked my format setup and bitrate and all my properties in premiere. Everything was how it should be, 16-bit, 48000Hz etc. I did notice however that not all music/songs "crackle" when the volume is turned up, only certian ones. I did find a little bit simpler way of fixing it, if you go to "Window" then select "Audio Mixer" you can adjust the master volume. I did this and found the loudest part in my edit (by watching the levels in the mixer) and lowered it to about -6db.It was just enough so that the levels wouldnt peak (go into the red boxes) and cause the cracking. All in all when i made my dvd the audio turned out pretty well and i only had to turn my tv up two more clicks than normal to have it nice and loud. I know this is not a permanent solution but untill i can find one it will have to do.

Thanks agian for all the help!
Chris

Barry Gribble
January 19th, 2005, 06:18 PM
All,

I am doing video for an employee awards show this weekend... I shot interviews with about 50 employees and cut maybe 75 soundbites in to 6 clips for the show.

All is fine, except the customer now wants their names and years of service on the clips. I did up an example of the first one, and they loved it, but it was time consuming. For each person I had three extra video layers: one for a solid bar to put behind the names, one for the name title, and one for the years of service title (they repeat - 5, 10, 15, etc.). I used the opacity handles on each to manually fade each of the three in and out.

My question is: how can I fade these items in and out for each person with out manually doing the opacity changes?

My second question is: how can I create the 50 titles without manually changing the font and size for each one? ... also very slow in the PPro title system

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Ed Frazier
January 20th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Barry - I'm not sure I completely understand your process. Can all three graphic layers be combined one one, or do you need to manipulate each one individually?

If they can all be on one layer, you can create the first one and get the size and position of all elements the way you like it, save it, change the employee name and "Save As" with another file name. Repeat until all are done.

Drop a crossfade transition on the each end of each graphic on the timeline to eliminate the need to adjust opacity. If you leave a gap between each graphic, you can use the crossfade transition to completely fade out the clip. After the transition is placed on each adjacent clip, they can then be butted up together if that is the desired effect.

I'm not sure this addresses your particular problem but hope it helps.

Josh Allen
January 20th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Please forgive the length of this post...

Okay...I think I may have created a big problem for myself and I am hoping someone can help :).

I shoot with an XL2, edit with premiere pro on a pc, export as avi, and create my dvd using encore.

I have never messed with interlacing/de-interlacing before this project, which is a 20 minute motocross video. However, this time I decided to de-interlace my footage for better web-viewing but now I need to take the footage to dvd for TV viewing and am having trouble. I de-interlaced using the "field options" command for each clip on the timeline. That may be part of my problem.

1. The de-interlaced footage looks bad on TV, with lots of fragments and poor overall picture quality throughout. No surprise I suppose.

2. I went back into the field options for each clip on the timeline and unchecked the "de-interlace always" option and rexported to avi and re-built the dvd in encore. Unfortunately the footage still has the fragments and poor quality.

I am hoping someone can suggest a solution. Perhaps it is possible to re-capture my footage without rebuilding the entire 20 minute timeline?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pete Bauer
January 20th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Josh,

It'll help us to help you figure out the mystery if you can provide us with a little more info on settings for each stage of the process, such as:

1. Camera: 24p, 30p, or 60i? If 24p, did you use 3:2 or 2:3:3:2? Aspect ratio wide or narrow? Shutter speed?
2. Capture: Timeline preset (wide/narrow, 30fps or 24fps)? Device preset? Any pull-down method?
3. Timeline settings and filters, such as frame blending on or off?
4. Export: AVI codec, compression, resolution, aspect ratio, de-interlace setting?
4: Encore: Transcoding presets / custom settings, especially any de-interlace settings?

I'm also not real sure what you mean by fragments. Any possibility you can post some frame grabs or very short clips as examples?

In general, PPro shouldn't be doing anything to the source files that you captured. So unless something really funky is going on, you shouldn't have to re-capture. Can you create a new sequence, drop a source clip into it, and get good results from a short export? If so, it confirms that it is simply a "wrong" setting within the work flow...the trick will be looking at the settings in each stage as above and seeing where the culprit is.

Pete Bauer
January 20th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Barry,

If I understand...you're just trying to achieve a fade in / fade out for text that has its own contrast background?

I don't think there's any shortcut to typing out the names, etc. But you can definitely automate the fade in / fade out process. Ed's way works great. The title applet allows you to put customizable geometric shapes behind the text, so unless you do need each portion of the title (eg name, years of service) to behave differently, Ed is definitely correct that there's no need for more than one video track (in other words, one file for each person's info).

A way to automate the fades etc for large numbers of similar title clips on a video track is to select the first clip, then set your opacity handles at the beginning and end of that clip for your fade in and fade out...as well as any other attributes or effects.

Edit>>Copy that first clip, then select all the subsequent title clips in the video track, and finally Edit>>Paste Attributes. They'll all have the same opacity handles, etc.

You can select multiple clips on a video track by using the Track Select Tool (it is just below the selection tool in the Toolbar and looks like a right-facing arrow with a dotted rectangle around it) and clicking on the next clip OR using the Select Tool (the top-most arrow-shaped tool in the Toolbar) and simply dragging along the video track to include all the clips you want to apply the attributes to, OR Shift-clicking to multiple-select.

Once all the title clips have the attributes you want, any of them can be moved or tweaked any way that suits you.

Adam Brennan
January 20th, 2005, 10:53 PM
I need to know how to pan, zoom in..zoom out in premiere 1.5. I know how to do it in 6.5 but can't seem to get it in 1.5

thanks for the help

Josh Allen
January 21st, 2005, 12:46 AM
Thanks Pete! Here is more info:

1. Camera: 60i

2. Capture: just Premiere defaults, did not adjust pull-down, etc.

3. Frame blend: on

4. AVI codec: Microsoft Windows Media 9; 720x480; 29.97 fps; no compression; aspect ratio 0.9

5. Transcode presets...boy, perhaps I found the problem...it is preset to 16x9 high quality 4 mb VBR 2 pass...but of course my vid is 4x3. It would seem to me that type of error would cause more disastrous results, but I will fix that and try again.

Thanks Pete...I will post an update asap.

John Britt
January 21st, 2005, 06:55 AM
There is a new "fixed effects" section under the effects control tab (in my setup of 1.5, it's in a window next to the monitor, when in single-monitor mode). here you'll find Motion and Scale controls. It's a little more After Effects-y of a control than that pop-up window in 6.5.

I just upgraded from 6.5 to Pro 1.5, and I definitely like the new Motion and Scale controls.

Jimmy McKenzie
January 21st, 2005, 07:20 AM
Definately drops you into an abyss of keyframes if you're not ready for that kind of control.

Also, at the end of the duration of the clip or still photo, the preview image dissappears when you are working to position the final keyframe. This is an Adobe bug that fell through the cracks.

Adam Brennan
January 21st, 2005, 07:22 AM
I am still lost here. I am using the trial 1.5 version...do you think it's missing?

Jimmy McKenzie
January 21st, 2005, 07:28 AM
Look at the top of your monitor window for a tab called "effect controls".

Or, click on window and look for effect controls there.

Adam Brennan
January 21st, 2005, 07:29 AM
gotcha! Okay...I kind of have to de progam myself from 6.5

Josh Allen
January 21st, 2005, 10:01 AM
Well, as it turns out it is not the transcode settings...although they were certainly wrong.

The avi coming out of premiere has the fragments before I even go to DVD. I will edit down a short clip and get it posted tonight.

Andrew Paul
January 21st, 2005, 01:40 PM
Since updating to XP service pack 2, I seem to be having problems transponding footage when I want to write to a DVD. I read somewhere that there was a problem with an earlier windows version and microsoft tried to sort the problem whilst adobe where trying to sort the problem (without taling to each other), they both then updated their progam to create even more problems. Is this true ?.

I can render the file as an avi file and then use sonic DVD to write the DVD, but I`m not happy with that as a permanent solution. Encore won`t transpond either.

I`ve tried reinstalling Premiere, but it didn`t help. Only option left, unless a update is available is to reinstall windows. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!

Many Thanks for any help

Andy

John Britt
January 21st, 2005, 01:47 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Jimmy McKenzie :
Also, at the end of the duration of the clip or still photo, the preview image dissappears when you are working to position the final keyframe. This is an Adobe bug that fell through the cracks. -->>>

Is that really a bug? So far, I've only had a chance to do a couple quick spots with Pro 1.5, and I thought that was some sort of problem as well. But on closer inspection, when you zoom in to single frames on the timeline, I noticed that the cursor (or sweeper, scroller, indicator, or whatever) has a bar at the top that extends one frame in front of the indicator -- which, I assume, is meant to show you "this is the frame you are editing." If you were to scroll to the very end of your video, the indicator would be on the end tip of that last frame, but the bar extending out would not -- meaning, "there's no video here to edit."

Think of it like this:say you place video in the timeline that starts at the frame 15 designation and ends at the frame 20 designation. Then you drop in another shot next to it, that will start at the frame 20 designation and end at frame 25. The two shots are not really overlapping -- they don't both co-exist at frame 20. And if you drag the timeline cursor out and stop it at the frame 20 designation, you'll see that the overhanging bar at top covers the area in shot 2, which is where you're really at...

I can't explain this very well... I'm working on only 3 hours of sleep... Or maybe I'm wrong... Either way, I apologize if the above makes no sense. Now get me a bed...

Pete Bauer
January 21st, 2005, 04:18 PM
Hi Andrew,

If you're getting a "failed to return video frame" message when using the Adobe Media Encoder to render or transcode, there is a simple workaround:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/330380.html

If that isn't it, could you please describe what happens in a little more detail?

Cheers,

Andrew Paul
January 21st, 2005, 05:11 PM
The message says "failed to transcode audio/video" regardless of whether its set to NTSC or PAL or any encoding rate.

Pete Bauer
January 21st, 2005, 07:19 PM
I searched Adobe's forum and FAQ and found one post where a person had the same message as you, but no answer.

Even though your error message wasn't identical, I think it is worth trying the fixes listed in the tech document hyperlinked above since the mpg transcoding engine Adobe uses for all of its applications would seem to be involved.

Note that if you are using PPro 1.0, there is a chance that the file renaming option might cause it to become unstable. No harm, no foul with PPro 1.5.

Beyond that, I don't have any other ideas for you. If using a capture board or anything else "non-mainstream" on your system, let us know and maybe someone will have some further info.

Best of luck!

Dmitry Yun
January 21st, 2005, 10:51 PM
Hi guys, I was wondering what kind of support does Premier Pro 1.5 have for AE plug ins? Is there a chance I could use the Frishcluft plug in for it?

THanks

Jimmy McKenzie
January 22nd, 2005, 03:22 AM
With old premiere, first you had to set keyframes and then mathematically set the positional keyframes for at least 2 keyframes. Worked ok but the new scrub bar built into effect controls makes this much more intuitive.
The problem is that when we are working with the micro scrub bar within the effect controls window, this should be a slave of the clip within the timeline. So when we are at the start we see the clip as should so be the case once reaching the end of the clip. One does not see the last frame of the clip when performing a positional keyframe entry.
I emailed this to Adobe. No reply.
It makes sense to me that when making a graphics adjustment in a gui interface that one be able to see the work they are creating. Not a black frame.